NEW Strictly Come Dancing host Josh Widdecombe was forced to halt work at his listed mansion after he began renovations without planning permission.

The comedian has already splashed some of his windfall on renovating his new family home in Devon.

New Strictly Come Dancing host Josh Widdecombe was forced to pause work at his listed mansion (edited)
Planning documents revealed they had failed to get permission to develop the listed property Credit: PA

Josh and his producer wife Rose Hanson wasted no time in beginning work on the listed property, only for planning documents to reveal they had failed to get permission.

In a retrospective application, his agent said it was “regrettable” but confirmed work was immediately “paused” upon realising.

On the application form, Rose confirmed work on the building had begun but had not been finished.

Permission was eventually granted this week by council planners under delegated powers after no objections were received.

STRICTLY UNAWARE

Strictly fans baffled as new host Josh Widdicombe struggles to name dances


no-biz

Strictly star hints they’re quitting showbiz after 15 years

Rose said that while Josh was ‘good at writing jokes’, her talents like with interiors Credit: Getty
The couple’s representative said the lack of permission was “regrettable” but confirmed it had been paused Credit: BBC

The application was in Rose’s name, who previously said on social media she was the boss when it comes to renovations.

She wrote: “He’s good at writing jokes, I’m good with interiors – we stick to our lanes.”

The work includes a range of internal alterations including reopening a historic doorway, adjusting partitions and repositioning architraves.

A supporting statement on behalf of the couple said: “At ground floor level it is proposed to re-open an historic doorway that was blocked with 20th century studwork.”

It added that minor adjustments would be made to the back of the building to incorporate a new door from the garden.

It said: “The enclosed works have no impact on the setting of the building in any way, with the only external change proposed the inclusion of a new door to the garden store.”

They added that internally, none of the proposed works have an adverse impact on the character of the house.

In approving the application, a planning official described the impacts of the proposals as largely “positive” or “neutral”.

The couple moved to the home in Devon after selling their £2.3m London townhouse.

They said at the time they wanted to bring up their two children with more space and be closer to Josh’s childhood home.

Previous pictures of the listed property reveal five ensuite bedrooms and a separate one-bed coach house in the grounds, as well as a huge living room, large kitchen and dining room.

The posh home also comes with two offices, a gym and a wine cellar.

Speaking on the Parenting Hell podcast, Josh had told fellow comic Rob Beckett: “Just to be clear, it isn’t in Crinkley Bottom – it isn’t the house we used to see on Saturday nights on the TV.”

Josh and Rose also owns a £1M holiday home in Cornwall, that they restored and now rent out to holidaymakers.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Discover more from Occasional Digest

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading