growing

In growing fight, Steyer’s campaign says pro-Becerra influencers didn’t disclose pay

In the latest escalation of a fight over the use of paid social media creators, Tom Steyer’s campaign for governor filed a complaint Tuesday accusing influencers who posted content supportive of Xavier Becerra’s campaign of failing to disclose that they had been paid, which is required by California law.

The complaint, filed with California’s Fair Political Practices Commission, accuses Jay Gonzalez of producing at least 14 pro-Becerra posts on Instagram and Facebook in late April and early May, after he was hired by the campaign, and only belatedly editing the posts to acknowledge they had been sponsored by the campaign.

The complaint also said that a social media creator named Maggie Reed, who posts under the username mermaidmamamaggie, created four pro-Becerra posts on Instagram and had previously offered to create paid posts for another gubernatorial campaign, though the complaint doesn’t specify how the campaign knows Reed was paid.

Reed and a talent agency that represents her did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The Becerra campaign maintained that it has not paid influencers who have created posts in support of the campaign.

“All of the content you see online is entirely and purely organic,” said Becerra spokesman Jonathan Underland.

Becerra and Steyer have been the top two Democratic candidates in recent polling for the governor’s race, with Becerra consistently maintaining a slight edge in those polls.

The complaint by Steyer’s campaign comes after two influencers who support Becerra filed a complaint last week accusing social media creators hired by the Steyer campaign of failing to disclose that they had been paid to produce their posts.

The campaign of the billionaire candidate for governor had previously disclosed payments to some influencers with large audiences, including one creator with the user name zayydante, who has 1.8 million followers on TikTok, and another with the user name littleyeg, who has nearly 350,000 followers on TikTok. The complaint filed last week said that both of these influencers failed to disclose that they had been paid by the campaign to produce content.

The complaint also highlighted several accounts created by user who don’t appear to live in California who created posts promoting Steyer and, in at least one case, posted elsewhere that they had been paid by the campaign.

The influencers who filed the original complaint said they saw the newly filed complaint as an attempt by Steyer’s campaign to deflect criticism.

“All he’s done is attack his opponent instead of taking accountability for violating the law,” said Kaitlyn Hennessy, one of the two influencers who filed the complaint against Steyer’s campaign. Hennessy and the other influencer who filed the complaint both said they have not been paid by the Becerra campaign.

In a post on Substack, Steyer defended his campaign’s use of paid social media influencers and said that it had been transparent about their use.

“Every creator we compensate has been and will be publicly disclosed as required by law,” he wrote.

Under a California law passed in 2023, social media creators who create paid content on behalf of a political campaign are required to disclose in their post that the material was sponsored and who paid for it.

The onus is on creators to provide the disclosure, but campaigns are required to notify influencers they hire of the requirement.

Violation of the rules doesn’t trigger criminal, civil or administrative penalties but the FPPC can take alleged offenders to court and ask a judge to force compliance with the law.

Source link

Iconic rocker Brian May blocked from growing daffodils on his village green after council said flowers posed safety risk

BRIAN May has been banned from planting daffodils on his village green after the local council said they could pose a safety risk.

The former Queen rocker planned to donate bulbs for his village green in Elstead, Surrey, but the local council have blocked him.

Bloomin¿ cheek! Queen legend Brian May frustrated as ¿killjoy¿ councillors block plan to plant thousands of daffodils
Brian May frustrated as councillors block his plan to plant thousands of daffodils Credit: Jam Press/Brian May
Bloomin¿ cheek! Queen legend Brian May frustrated as ¿killjoy¿ councillors block plan to plant thousands of daffodils
Brian May previously planted 3,000 bulbs at the church green Credit: Jam Press/Brian May

Elstead parish council said the yellow flowers would obstruct the line of sight of nearby traffic.

The authority added that the daffodils would prevent locals crossing the green and disrupt accessibility.

The 78-year-old’s request was therefore rejected as the council said it had “a responsibility to balance community initiatives with safety”.

Speaking to the Farnham Herald, Sir Brian said: “We’re struggling to imagine how 18-inch stalks could [obstruct] anyone’s view, especially when the green is normally surrounded by parked vehicles including a 7ft-high ice cream van.”

NEW MISSION

Celeb Masterchef winner and stunning Sky Sports presenter sign up for Celeb SAS


final feelings

Ant and Dec break silence on ‘weird night’ after dramatic I’m a Celeb final

The guitarist hoped the village green would be another success after he previously planted 3,000 bulbs on the green outside St James’s Church.

Jeremy Hunt, the Conservative MP for Godalming and Ash praised “Elstead’s most famous resident Sir Brian May and his brilliant team of planters for supplying and planting the stunning daffodils for Elstead green”.

The council countered that the village green and the church green were “two very different areas”.

It added that the church green was “more amenable to daffodil planting”.

Jenny Littledale, a local resident, said: “How sad that something so lovely has been turned down for such a ridiculous reason.”

Jenny Else, another Elstead resident and former Waverley borough councillor, said the locals wishes hadn’t been considered.

She continued: “Perhaps a vote should have been taken. There has been so much interest in the proposal.”

Ms Else said that when she had seen a sketch of the proposed area for the flowers, she didn’t think sight lines were under threat.

“There is a large area for any community gatherings during the daffodil season and good pedestrian access,” she added.

Sir Brian shared the news on a blog post, he wrote: “I’ve been quite thrilled to get so many happy comments from the village about this year’s display.

“Probably the best part of it all has been the friends I’ve made here in Elstead.

“And of course thanks to our parish council for giving me the permission to donate spring beauty to our community!

“We were all hoping to adorn the main village green for next spring… But sadly the parish council last night rejected my plan.”

A council spokesperson said: “Elstead parish council welcomes and proactively supports community planting and is extremely grateful to the volunteers who put time and care into projects like this.

“The parish council has a duty to balance the practical usage of our green along with the views of our residents.

“The main village green is used in several ways throughout the year. It hosts key community events, is crossed regularly on foot and is valued by some as an open space.

“As a council, we have said that we very much welcome further discussion about these options and thank everyone involved for their enthusiasm and ideas.”

The spokesman told The Telegraph that the issue had been “portrayed in one way when it’s not actually that at all”. The negative response to the ruling got “out of hand” they added.

Source link

Michael Carrick silences growing doubters as Man Utd close in on Champions League

It took a first home defeat to Leeds since 1981 for the real moans to start.

The calmness previously viewed as an asset became a negative. Inaction was seen as conservative. All week the question has been asked, is Carrick up to the job?

Well, there was nothing aesthetically pleasing about this latest triumph.

But given only Ole Gunnar Solskjaer of all the post-Sir Alex Ferguson bosses had experienced the feeling of winning at Stamford Bridge, style was a secondary element.

Chelsea may have hit the woodwork three times. They may have carried the more consistent threat. But Carrick’s team was the one that delivered.

“It was a game for a result,” he said. “And we managed to find it.”

There was more to it though. There was overcoming the adversity of knowing that on top of the three central defenders he knew would be missing (Matthijs de Ligt through injury and Lisandro Martinez and Harry Maguire due to suspension), Carrick then lost a fourth, Leny Yoro, to a training ground injury.

That came so late in the week his chosen pairing, Noussair Mazraoui and Ayden Heaven, could only prepare with walk-throughs.

“I love when you see players thrive in those moments,” said Carrick.

Heaven, 19, had not started a game under Carrick, having first been given his chance by Ruben Amorim and then his immediate replacement Darren Fletcher.

“Ayden has not played a lot of football recently, and to come into that environment is not something that you can take for granted,” said Carrick.

“We say the same things to young players all the time. Sometimes they look at you as if to say, ‘yeah, good one’ but in terms of training every day and looking after yourself and being ready ‘because you never know when that chance comes’, he probably wouldn’t have thought it would come at that moment.

“But he was there, he was prepared, and he took it in his stride magnificently well.”

Source link