situation

Redondo Beach Pier reopens after evacuation that delayed BeachLife

The Redondo Beach Pier reopened Sunday afternoon, hours after police and city officials ordered its evacuation for reasons law enforcement has declined to disclose.

The Redondo Police Department issued its initial evacuation order at about 11 a.m. through the city’s alert system.

“Police Activity on the Pier. Anyone in the area of the pier is requested to evacuate safely,” the statement read. “Catalina [Avenue] between Torrance [Boulevard] and Beryl [Street] are closed. Please stay away from the pier area until further notice.”

The department issued an update on X at 11:57 a.m. saying that the pier would remain closed until further notice.

At 2:21 p.m., the department sent out another message through the city’s alert system saying that police activity had concluded and that pier and its surrounding area were once again open to the public.

Redondo Beach City Councilmember Brad Waller weighed in on the evacuation in the comments section of BeachLife’s initial postponement announcement on Facebook.

“There was a threat made to the pier, and the area was evacuated to allow the police and dogs to clear the area,” Waller wrote. “Police are still going over the pier area and have expanded to BeachLife. There was no threat made to BeachLife, but out of an abundance of caution, they want to ensure that the area is safe before thousands of people enter. The pier area and BeachLife space were searched, and nothing was found. BeachLife should be ready to open and proceed.”

The Times has reached out to the Redondo Beach Police Department for more information.

The evacuation came on the last day of the Redondo Beach-set BeachLife Festival, which was scheduled to open at noon and feature performances by My Morning Jacket, Peach Pit, Sheryl Crow and James Taylor.

In a social media announcement, organizers for the festival said the start of Sunday’s event would be delayed at least an hour.

“Safety comes first. In cooperation with our public safety professionals in the City, out of an abundance of caution, we have coordinated to temporarily delay doors until 1 p.m. due to ongoing police activity on the Redondo Pier near Torrance Boulevard,” BeachLife wrote in the statement.

In a subsequent post that went live at 1:43 p.m., the organization said it had been given the all-clear to open its doors to the public.

“Per the direction of local safety officials, we have been given the go ahead to safely open doors momentarily,” the statement said. “We appreciate the patience from our community and look forward to a wonderful of day of sun, fun, and great music.”



Source link

Brit band cancel gig after ‘unexpected medical situation’ hours before they’re due onstage

A BRIT rock back have been forced to cancel an impending gig after an “unexpected medical situation”.

Enter Shikari were due to play a gig at Dublin Academy in Ireland this evening but have been forced to withdraw.

Enter Shikari have pulled the plug on their Dublin gig Credit: Getty
The band revealed a medical situation had forced them to axe tonight’s gig plans Credit: Getty

The band kept details sparse but confirmed a “medical reason” was behind their decision to pull the plug on the gig in the Irish capital city.

Issuing a statement, the band revealed they were gutted to be unable to complete the concert as planned.

The band said: “Due to a medical situation both unexpected and beyond our control, we’re sad to have to say we’re having to postpone tonight’s Dublin Academy show.

“If you know anything about us, you know that cancelling/postponing shows is always the absolute last resort once all other options have been exhausted, especially at this short notice.

NO DIRECTION?

What’s going on with Zayn… from gig flop to drug fears & fans backlash


COMEBACK CHAOS

Justin Bieber sings along while streaming own songs on laptop in bizarre set

“We’re very sorry for any inconvenience this causes anyone.

“We’re in conversation with our Irish promoter and will immediately start looking at potential date to reschedule to.

“Thank you in advance for your understanding, and we hope we can see you as soon as possible. ES x.”

Their fans were quick to issue their well-wished amid the uncertain situation.

One penned: “Sending you guys so much love hope you’re all ok.”

Another went on to write: “Hope all is ok – let us know when you’re planning to be back in Ireland!”

A third then said: “Absolutely gutted as flew here solo from Brighton especially *but* sending everyone so much love and hope, and thank you for still being the reason I finally visited Ireland!”

Before a fourth commented: “Sending love as this can’t have been an easy decision, get well soon.”

Whilst a fifth comment read: “Health first always. Hope all is ok. We go again even harder on the rescheduled show to make up for this. Grá mór.”

The band were first formed in 1999 and adopted their current identity in 2003.

Their debut album, Take to the Skies, was eventually released in 2007 and reached number four on the UK Albums Chart.

Their seventh record, released in 2023, became their first chart-topper.

The group’s latest record, surprise released earlier this month, managed to chart at number 16.

The band had been to play in the Irish capital Credit: Getty

Source link