hands

‘Spearhead of annexation’: Israel hands West Bank rule to civilian police | Human Rights News

Palestinian politicians and analysts have warned against what they describe as an Israeli plan to illegally annex the occupied West Bank by implementing a series of decisions and actions under different pretexts.

Israel’s Defence Minister Israel Katz, on Friday, ordered the military to prepare a plan for transferring civilian law enforcement in the occupied West Bank to the Israeli police.

According to the Israeli newspaper Haaretz, the decision follows criticism over the army’s handling of Israeli settlers who besieged a Palestinian home in the village of Qusra.

Katz justified the shift, saying, “The army’s role is to combat Palestinian terrorism … and not chase hilltop youth.”

The Defence Ministry indicated the police would establish a dedicated force to handle these civilian matters.

However, Palestinian officials and a wide array of political experts warn this structural shift represents a dangerous acceleration of illegal annexation, apartheid, and ethnic cleansing.

Mustafa Barghouti, secretary-general of the Palestinian National Initiative, told Al Jazeera that the settlers are the “spearhead in the process of annexation and Judaisation”.

He drew direct historical parallels to the mass displacement of Palestinians, stating, “They repeat what the Zionist terror gangs did in 1948, like the Haganah and the Stern Gang.”

Barghouti warned that placing security in the hands of National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir and illegal Israeli settlements under Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich amounts to “handing over the West Bank to the settlers”.

He stressed that this is an open war on the population, adding, “The actual ruler in the West Bank is the known fascist terrorist Smotrich.”

De facto annexation

Analysts argue that replacing military occupation law with domestic civilian law fundamentally alters the legal reality of the territory. Mohanad Mustafa, an academic and researcher in Israeli affairs, told Al Jazeera that the decision legally erases the borders.

“The government is dealing with the West Bank not as an occupied territory,” Mustafa said. He explained that by transferring power to a civilian police force, “this means that the government has annexed the West Bank”.

He noted this move absolves the military of its obligations under international law, placing enforcement under Ben-Gvir.

Mustafa warned that Ben-Gvir, who previously oversaw the demolition of thousands of Arab homes in Israel, will now command the police to “support the settlers more and more and push them more and more towards deepening their repression and terrorism against the Palestinians”.

Palestinian leadership strongly condemned the mandate. Hussein al-Sheikh, secretary-general of the Palestine Liberation Organization’s executive committee, described the move as a blatant violation of international agreements and an attempt to “impose Israeli law and sovereignty over the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and to entrench the illegal annexation of Palestinian land”.

The Palestinian group Hamas echoed this sentiment, releasing a statement calling the order a “dangerous step on the path to imposing de facto annexation” that provides “cover and more protection for the escalating attacks and crimes of the settlers”.

Fascist militias

The Palestinian Authority has accused the Israeli government and its military of sponsoring settlers’ violence. Even Israeli members of parliament have accused the army of being complicit.

Analysts stress that relieving the military of its duties essentially deputises settler violence, turning them into an armed extension of the state.

Nihad Abu Ghosh, an expert in Israeli affairs, told Al Jazeera that there is no contradiction between the army and the settlers. He noted that the settlers have evolved into “fascist militia formations” that perform the state’s dirty work.

“These are fascist militia formations, and there are similar precedents in many countries that were ruled by fascism, whether in Spain, Italy, Germany, or even Chile,” Abu Ghosh said.

He added that these militias carry out roles that “require evading any discipline, rules, or laws” to achieve a “creeping, gradual annexation to make it a reality”.

Apartheid and displacement

The dual legal framework resulting from this shift has drawn sharp international and local criticism. Shadi al-Shurafa, a researcher in Israeli affairs, told Al Jazeera that the situation is a textbook definition of segregation.

“We are facing an application of an overt racist apartheid system in the West Bank,” al-Shurafa said, noting it involves one regime operating with two entirely different laws based on ethnicity.

He added that the ultimate goal of the current government is carrying out complete ethnic cleansing and trapping Palestinians in “isolated cantons and isolated Bantustans”.

Other experts argue that the move completely alters the international legal status of the territory, pushing the crisis into a new, more dangerous phase.

“The subject has bypassed the issue of annexation to a post-annexation phase and creating a reality where the Palestinian finds himself forced to think about migration,” said Adel Shadid, expert in Israeli affairs.

International complicity

Analysts also pointed to the role of the international community, particularly the United States, in enabling this systemic shift.

Shadid dismissed recent US condemnations of settler violence as mere theatre to “mislead global public opinion”.

He argued that the underlying project has full US backing, noting that “all that is happening now is an American-Israeli plan and there is harmony between the two right-wing administrations in Washington and here in Israel”.

Andrew Whitley, a former United Nations official and director of the Balfour Project, stressed that the planned transfer is “completely illegal” and urged immediate global intervention.

He told Al Jazeera that the “Palestinian state is disappearing before our eyes”, demanding that the international community move beyond rhetoric.

“We have to do much more than just wring our hands and complain that governments are not doing anything about this,” Whitley said, calling for concrete sanctions to halt the rapid erasure of the Palestinian presence.

Source link

Dakota Ditcheva says she has broken both hands again

Dakota Ditcheva says she has “cried non-stop” after breaking both of her hands in the win over Denise Kielholtz – just months after recovering from similar injuries.

The Briton outclassed Kielholtz at PFL New York earlier this month to win by unanimous decision in her first fight in just over a year.

The 28-year-old had not fought since July 2025 as a result of breaking her left hand – then suffered a fracture in her other hand five months later.

Despite comfortably beating Kielholtz on her return, Ditcheva says she fought the majority of the contest with two broken hands.

“I broke my hands in the fight. I could feel it from the second I started the second round,” she said on YouTube., external

“I didn’t tell my corner. I didn’t tell anybody. I didn’t show it this time, and I didn’t actually tell anybody until I got out of the cage.

“I am back in splints until my surgeon has decided what the next steps are going forward, which will be in the next few days.”

Ditcheva, who extended the unbeaten start to her career to 16 fights, said one of her injuries occurred after opting not to have surgery on it last year while the other is a “small break on the other finger that didn’t hold up so well”.

“The good thing is I have no new breaks. It’s just the hand that wasn’t operated on that I broke at the end of last year,” added Ditcheva.

“I was told that if I didn’t go ahead with surgery at that time, there was a possibility it could break again. I took the risk in not doing the surgery because I was hoping it would hold strong, and it didn’t.

“So therefore I’m paying the price for it now and I will be out for a little bit.”

Source link

In Their Own Hands: Ghana’s Drug Vigilantes | Crime

Citizen vigilantes patrol Ghana’s streets, fighting an opioid crisis. We meet those taking the law into their own hands.

Ghana is facing an opioid addiction crisis, with a flood of cheap, synthetic drugs destroying lives and communities. In the northern city of Tamale, a group of civilians, frustrated by what they see as the inaction of local authorities, are taking the law into their own hands. The ‘anti-drug task force’ patrols the streets, seeking out dealers and users and meting out its own brand of justice. Some government officials condemn the vigilantes, while others embrace them as a useful tool in the fight against illegal drugs. As word spreads about the success of Tamale’s task force, some question whether civilians can properly replace state services – and warn about the dangers of vigilante justice.

Source link

Our Yorkshire Farm’s Amanda Owen puts head in hands as she says ‘I feel stressed’

Things seem to be taking their toll on Amanda Owen as she admits to feeling rather ‘stressed’ during an episode of Our Farm Next Door

Our Farm Next Door returns in trailer for new series

Our Farm Next Door star Amanda Owen appears to feel the heat as she makes a frank admission moments into the show.

In a repeat episode from series three of Our Farm Next Door: Amanda, Clive and Kids, which airs tonight (Friday 19 June), work continues on the farmhouse renovation as builder Richard starts plastering the interior walls and joiner Dan delivers and fits the custom-made doors.

As the project progresses, Amanda begins to feel the strain of the ambitious build, particularly when it comes to making key design choices for the kitchen, which proves to be one of the most challenging parts of the renovation.

Balancing modern practicality with strict historical preservation, Amanda expressed her confusion, admitting she was unsure where things would go.

When asked where she would like a certain socket to be placed, the mother of nine put her hands on her and said: “I don’t know, I’m beginning to start feeling really stressed about this.”

Talking directly to the camera, she then said: “I don’t want to start throwing impossible ideas around. I mean the whole project looked impossible from a start off so I think I’ve done well!”

Broadcast on Channel 4, the spin-off series from Our Yorkshire Farm sees the Owen family undertake the ambitious restoration of a long-abandoned farmhouse in the Yorkshire Dales. The project centres on a centuries-old property known locally as Anty John’s, which has fallen into disrepair after years of neglect.

Set high above Swaledale, the historic building holds a special place in the area’s heritage, and the Owen family is determined to bring it back to life.

Throughout the programme, viewers follow the extensive renovation as builders, family members and local tradespeople work to restore the structure while preserving its original character. From rebuilding walls and repairing roofs to installing modern amenities, the project proves to be both demanding and rewarding.

The show also explores the history of the property itself, with Amanda researching the people who once lived there and uncovering stories that shed light on life in the Dales across generations.

However, away from the building site, the programme continues to document life on the family’s nearby farm, Ravenseat. As ever, farming remains a full-time commitment, with the cameras capturing everything from lambing season to the day-to-day challenges of caring for livestock.

The show arrives as the Owen family enters a new phase, with their children taking on greater responsibilities and becoming more involved in both farming and the renovation project.

Our Farm Next Door: Amanda, Clive and Kids airs tonight at 8pm on More4.

Source link

Beach babe Kelly Brook can’t keep her hands off chiselled husband Jeremy Parisi on loved-up French getaway

KELLY Brook showed she and husband Jeremy Parisi are as loved up as ever as she packed on the PDA on their French getaway this week.

The couple soaked up the sun during a beach day in Saint-Tropez, with Kelly, 46, showing off her famous curves in a patterned swimsuit while hugging her Italian other half.

Kelly Brook showed off her curves in stunning swimwear as she hit the beach in Saint-Tropez Credit: BackGrid
The model and actress appeared smitten with her husband of four years as she hugged him by the shore Credit: BackGrid

Appearing in high spirits, Kelly pulled her brunette locks into a ponytail while taking a dip in the sea with Jeremy.

The couple were snapped beaming while sharing a hug at the busy shorefront.

Staying at the luxury wellness hotel Lily Of The Valley, Kelly and Jeremy have been enjoying the South Of France sunshine over the last week.

Alongside relaxing beachside, the couple have been hitting the gym and focusing on wellness during the trip.

wedding bells

Perrie Edwards finally reveals when she’ll marry Alex after 4 year engagement


BABY JOY

Love Island’s Adam Collard reveals Laura Woods is pregnant with second baby

The couple have been enjoying a French getaway over recent weeks, spending the last few days at a five-star wellness resort in luxe resort town Saint-Tropez Credit: BackGrid
The couple appeared in high spirits as they enjoyed a dip in the sea during the trip Credit: BackGrid
Kelly looked stunning in a patterned swimsuit for the dip Credit: BackGrid
The couple have also been celebrating Jeremy’s birthday during the holiday, with the model turning 41 earlier this month Credit: Rex

And showing it’s clearly the place to be, Kelly has bumped into fellow celebs Amanda Holden and Piers Morgan during her trip.

The trio, who were all holidaying in the destination separately, bumped into one another by chance at beach hotspot Club 55.

Kelly shared a snap with Amanda and Piers from the beach restaurant to her Instagram as they all caught up.

The posh resort town is hours away from where Jeremy grew up in Paris, despite originally hailing from Italy.

And it seems he and Kelly have been touring around the country, first heading to Cassis, a fishing town east of Marseille, before making their way to Saint-Tropez.

The trip was to mark Jeremy’s birthday, with the male model turning 41 during their stay in Cassis.

Jeremy, who is five and a half years his wife’s junior, has been married to the star since 2022.

The couple tied the knot in a traditional ceremony in Italy, seven years after they began dating in 2015.

They first met on Instagram, with Kelly noticing her later-to-be husband on the app and sending him a message.

Source link