youngest

First look at youngest ever actor to play Hercule Poirot in BBC’s Agatha Christie reboot

The Killing Eve star, who is just 33, follows the likes of David Suchet, Albert Finney and Peter Ustinov

Here’s the first glimpse of Edward Bluemel as one of the world’s most famous detectives, Hercule Poirot. And – as tradition dictates – he still has the character’s tradement moustache.

The actor, best known for his roles in Killing Eve and A Discovery of Witches, is the youngest to take on the role created by Agatha Christie back in 1916. The 33-year old will take the lead in the BBC’s upcoming adaptations, called simply Hercule, having previously appeared in the Netflix version of Christie’s The Seven Dials.

The BBC has struck a three-series deal with the the author’s estate for an “ambitious reimagining”, to be set in the 1920s. Made by Poldark production company Mammoth Screen, the first six-part run is due to air next year and will tell the origin story of the famous sleuth, as he first arrives in the UK from Belgium.

Providng an “epic portrait” of Britain between the wars, it puts three of Christie’s most celebrated stories under the spotlight, including her first Poirot tale The Mysterious Affair at Styles. The series also charts Poirot’s burgeoning friendship with Captain Arthur Hastings and his early encounters with Scotland Yard’s James Japp.

Edward, who has also appeared in We Might Regret This and My Lady Jane, said he was thrilled to have landed the plum role. “I feel very lucky to have been trusted with such an iconic character who has been played by so many great actors. I can’t wait to continue Hercule’s legacy.”

BBC drama boss Lindsay Salt said the team had been blown away by Bluemel’s “charm, dynamism and wit”. “From the first moments of Edward’s audition we knew we’d found the perfect actor for Hercule, with a performance that feels both fresh and exciting,” she said. “Hercule Poirot is one of the greatest and most loved characters of all time, and bringing him back to the BBC is a real privilege.”

Albert Finney was previously the youngest actor to have taken on the role of Poirot, having landed the role for the 1974 film adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express when he was just 37 years old. But make-up artists spent many hours at the start of each day on set adding a fake nose and cosmetics to make him look like a man in his fifties – while he slept.

David Suchet look on the role at the age of 42 and played him on and off, for ITV, until he was 67. Kenneth Brannagh has played Poirot three times, his first came when he was 55, and Peter Ustinov kicked off his stint in 1978 at the age of 57.

James Nesbitt has also been announced for his first TV costume drama role in the first series. Other cast announced alongside the Cold Feet star include Friday Night Dinner’s Tamsin Greig, Oppenheimer’s James D’Arcy, Game of Thrones’ Jack Gleeson, Smoggie Queens’ Phil Dunning and Juice’s Mawaan Rizwan.

James Prichard, executive producer for Agatha Christie Limited and the author’s grandson said that Edward had been selected with great care. “My father had the privilege of working with David Suchet for nearly 25 years, and I now have the good fortune of being able to share my great grandmother’s brilliant stories with a new generation of viewers,” he explained.

“Edward Bluemel is an extremely talented performer and will make a great addition to the long line of actors that have played this celebrated character, aided and abetted by Benji Walters’ thoughtful scripts. I cannot wait to see Edward on screen as Hercule Poirot.”

Like this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs on TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Threads.



Source link

On the move – football’s youngest journeymen

After beginning his professional career with Dinamo Zagreb at the age of 16, highly rated Croatian midfielder Alen Halilovic earned a permanent move to Barcelona, where he spent two years before joining Hamburg for a further two seasons.

During his time at the Nou Camp, he played primarily for Barcelona B before spending the 2015–16 season on loan at Sporting Gijon.

After joining Hamburg in 2016, he was loaned out to La Liga side Las Palmas during the 2017–18 campaign.

In 2018, shortly after his 22nd birthday, he signed for AC Milan, the sixth club of his career – while Italy became the fourth different country in which he had played.

The midfielder later had spells with Birmingham City and Reading. He now plays for Fortuna Sittard in the Netherlands.

Source link

France’s Kouame becomes youngest male Grand Slam match-winner in 17 years | Tennis News

At 17, Moise Kouame becomes the youngest winner of a Grand Slam match with French Open win against Marin Cilic.

French teenager Moise Kouame announced himself on the Grand Slam stage in emphatic fashion, ⁠beating former US Open champion Marin Cilic 7-6(4) 6-2 6-1 at the French Open to become the youngest man to win a major main-draw match in 17 years.

Handed a wildcard by organisers, the 17-year-old French teen ⁠looked entirely unfazed on Court Simonne Mathieu in the first-round match on Tuesday as he made his Grand Slam debut against a player 20 years his senior and a former world number three.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

Cilic, the 2014 US Open champion and a Roland Garros semifinalist in 2022, arrived in Paris ranked 46th in the world but was outplayed by the ‌fearless teenager, whose speed in defence and deft drop shots repeatedly drew applause from the crowd.

Ranked 318th, Kouame edged a tense opening set in a tiebreak after saving two set points before taking control of the match.

“It wasn’t easy. I always try to stay in the present moment and not think too much about the score. Today I managed to do that really well,” Kouame said on court.

Kouame did not concede a break of serve throughout the contest as he sealed victory in straight ⁠sets.

At 17 years and two months old, Kouame became the youngest player ⁠to win a Grand Slam match since Australia’s Bernard Tomic reached the 2009 Australian Open second round at the age of 16.

France's Moise Kouame celebrates his victory over Croatia's Marin Cilic during their men's singles match on day 3 of the French Open tennis tournament on Court Simonne-Mathieu at the Roland-Garros
France’s Moise Kouame celebrates his victory over Croatia’s Marin Cilic at the Roland-Garros [Julien de Rosa/AFP]

He is also the youngest player to advance past the first round at Roland Garros since Romania’s Dinu Pescariu achieved the feat ⁠in 1991 at 17 years and one month old.

“It’s a lot of emotion, it’s exceptional,” Kouame said. “Coming into this tournament, I didn’t really know what to ⁠expect. The team and I worked hard to be as ready ⁠as possible.”

The teenager, coached by former French player Richard Gasquet, claimed only the second main-tour win of his career after earning his first at the Miami Masters in March.

He will next face Paraguay’s Adolfo Daniel Vallejo, who advanced after 20th seed Cameron Norrie retired ‌injured.

Kouame’s breakthrough run caps a rapid rise this season.

The Frenchman has won three ITF titles – the third tier of professional tennis – and received several wildcards on the main circuit, including at the Miami and Monte-Carlo ‌Masters.

“All ‌the experience I gained in Miami and Monte-Carlo probably helped me a little,” Kouame told reporters. “Technically, I felt pretty calm. I knew I was ready and I felt good mentally and physically.”

Source link