years

Noel Gallagher spotted on pub date with new girlfriend 30 years his junior as pals reveal how star ‘couldn’t be happier’

SMITTEN Oasis star Noel Gallagher is seen out on a date with his new girlfriend who is less than half his age.

The She’s Electric rocker, 58, and events boss Nina Johnson, 28, left a West London gastropub together.

Noel Gallagher is seen out on a date with his new girlfriend who is 30 years his junior Credit: Click News and Media
The smitten Oasis star, 58, and events boss Nina Johnson, 28, left a West London gastropub together Credit: Click News and Media

A source said: “There was no mistaking the spark between them.”

We revealed in March the Half The World Away star had split from girlfriend Sally Mash.

Noel and Nina — who works for an events company — were seen smiling before getting into a car on Thursday night after a date at The Hart gastropub in Marylebone, West London.

An onlooker said: “They were laughing and joking, but keeping a slight distance so they did not look like a couple. However, there was no mistaking the spark between them and they were clearly together. They had been engrossed in each other’s company inside and spent hours together, just the two of them.

“Noel looked particularly happy when he came out — and who can blame him? As they got to the waiting car, Noel opened the door for Nina and they got in the back seat together.”

Originally from the South West, Nina is a marketing manager at London firm Rhubarb Hospitality, which organises corporate events, weddings and posh private functions.

She is said to have met dad-of-three Noel through mutual friends, and has spent a lot of time with him over the past few weeks.

A source told The Sun on Sunday: “She is a lot younger than him but that doesn’t bother either of them.

Stand by me Noel and new girlfriend Nina, above seen leaving the London pub, are said to have met through mutual friends Credit: Click News and Media
Nina has spent a lot of time with the rocker over the past few weeks Credit: Click News and Media

“They have been seeing a lot of each other in the past few weeks.

“Her career is going great guns. She is really bright and taking her career seriously.

“She’s her own woman and Noel really respects that.

“They really enjoy each other’s company and both love the finer things in life and go to a lot of the same places. It is fair to say Noel is smitten and he is telling people he couldn’t be happier.”

We revealed in March the Half The World Away star had split from girlfriend Sally Mash Credit: Goff
Career-focused Nina Johnson’s social media profile shows she is an events manager based in London

We revealed in March that Noel and private members’ club boss Sally had split after two years with “no bad blood”.

In 2024, Noel said of his attractive partners: “I’ve punched above my weight several times in my life, and I think if you can make a girl laugh the battle is more than won.”

He married Meg Mathews in Las Vegas in 1997 and they had daughter Anais in 2000.

After they split, Noel started dating Scots publicist Sara MacDonald, who he wed in 2011 after almost a decade together.

They had sons Donovan, now 18, and Sonny, 15, before divorcing in 2023.

A source told The Sun on Sunday: ‘She is a lot younger than him but that doesn’t bother either of them’ Credit: Facebook
Noel will join thousands of fellow ­Manchester City fans at a huge farewell bash tomorrow for departing manager Pep Guardiola Credit: https://www.instagram.com/p/C_ahQWotxpH/

HE’S AT PEP FAREWELL

By Ryan Parry and Hannah Hope

NOEL Gallagher will join thousands of fellow ­Manchester City fans at a huge farewell bash tomorrow for departing manager Pep Guardiola.

A team bus parade in Manchester will celebrate them ­winning the FA Cup and Carabao Cup — before an after-party at the city’s Co-op Arena to say goodbye to Pep.

Around 100,000 fans are due to gather in the city and Noel is expected to play a big part in heaping praise on Pep, 55, who delivered 20 trophies over a decade in the job.

During Pep’s reign, he developed a close friendship with Noel after they first met in 2016.

And in his farewell video released last week, he mentioned the Oasis star in his opening words.

He said: “When I arrive my first interview was with Noel Gallagher. I walk out thinking, ‘OK Noel is here this will be fun.’ And what a time we have had together.”

And Pep signed off by saying: “Noel, I was right, it has been so f***ing fun.”

Noel last month praised Pep in an interview, saying he was grateful for their relationship.

He added: “He’s a fan and a romantic, and he’s hardcore, a winner, and a bad loser, all the things you would want your football manager to be.”

Brother Liam Gallagher, also a City fan and Pep pal, will not be able to attend the celebrations, it is understood.

An open-top bus parade will kick off the festivities at 5pm.

It will be followed by a special ticket-only celebration event at Co-op Live, where the sell-out crowd of 17,000 will be treated to live music, entertainment, player interviews and special guests.

It will also be a farewell for long-serving players Bernardo Silva and John Stones.



Source link

CBS News Radio signs off after nearly 100 years

As a radio professional who grew up aspiring to work at CBS News Radio, anchor Steve Kathan understood the weight of the words he wrote and recorded Friday on the final broadcast of “World News Roundup.”

“America’s longest running newscast signs off for the last time,” Kathan said in the small dimly lighted studio in the CBS Broadcast Center on Manhattan’s West Side. “It all began on March 13, 1938,” he said, referring to the iconic news program.

Kathan played a recording of Edward R. Morrow, the legendary CBS News journalist who delivered his first report on the debut of the program, saying “the best in radio reporting is yet to be — good night and good luck.”

“And goodbye,” Kathan added, ending the run of around 23,000 editions of the 10-minute signature broadcast, delivered from CBS’ radio network . A final news update was scheduled to run later Friday night.

CBS News Radio and its 26 employees became a victim of budget cuts across parent-company Paramount’s news division announced in March.

“A shift in radio station programming strategies, coupled with challenging economic realities, has made it impossible to continue the service,” the company said.

Privately, longtime insiders at CBS News say the division has struggled for years to find ways to financially turn around its radio business.

The unit was operating at a loss with monthly revenues recently falling as low as $67,000, according to a network executive not authorized to discuss the matter publicly. The service held on because it still had value in promoting CBS News and its journalism, reaching 20 million listeners a week.

Leadership over the years have put off the messy task of winding the radio business down due to its iconic status at the company. CBS News editor-in-chief Bari Weiss was reluctant to make the cuts as well, according to people inside the company familiar with her thinking. But with Paramount taking on substantial debt to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery, considerations of the division’s legacy are likely to matter less in ongoing efforts to reduce costs.

Kathan had heard rumblings about CBS getting out of radio going all the way back to its first ownership change in the 1980s when Larry Tisch acquired the company.

“Even though I’ve been here 39 years, the thought was someone’s going to decide to do it,” he said.

As television dominated the media landscape, CBS News Radio retained its role as what Kathan called “the background track of American history.”

As a child growing up in Connecticut, Kathan recalls watching Douglas Edwards, the “World News Roundup” evening anchor for two decades, doing TV news updates in between the soap operas his mother watched on CBS. After Kathan joined the network in 1987 as a writer and producer, he would see Edwards and other famous names from the division walking through the hallways of the broadcast center before doing his afternoon newscasts.

“Just the fact that you were working with them made you think and realize you had to up your game,” Kathan said. “You wanted the audience to trust you as much as it trusted them.”

“World News Roundup” rose to prominence during World War II, when Murrow and other CBS News correspondents delivered live reports from Europe.

Once TV supplanted radio as a source for scripted entertainment, news and information became the primary mission of CBS’ radio division that began in 1927. In 1967, the company converted its owned AM radio stations — including its Los Angeles outlet KNX — to an all-news format.

While the stations focused on local news, traffic, weather and sports, they also prominently featured CBS News Radio reports at the top of the hour and other features throughout the day.

Longtime listeners became familiar with Edwards, Dallas Townsend, Reid Collins, Richard C. Hottelet, Christopher Glenn and other CBS News veterans who brought national and world stories to listeners throughout the day, introduced by a five-note sounder that simulated a telegraph. Dan Rather and Walter Cronkite were heard daily with analysis.

The radio network developed a major star in Charles Osgood, who joined WCBS in New York as anchor. He went national in 1971 with a twice-daily segment called “The Osgood File.”

Osgood wrote two-minute reports in succinct prose delivered in his mellifluous tones. He occasionally offered commentary in verse, which earned him the title of poet-in-residence at CBS News.

Osgood’s popularity was rivaled only by ABC Radio personality Paul Harvey. CBS News even allowed him to read commercial copy to satisfy eager advertisers who wanted their product messages presented in his comforting voice. When Osgood became a host on the TV side in the 1990s on “CBS News Sunday Morning,” his sign-off remained “I’ll see you on the radio.” He filed his final “Osgood File” report in 2017.

Charles Osgood in the WCBS radio studio in New York on July 25, 1967.

Charles Osgood in the WCBS radio studio in New York on July 25, 1967.

(CBS Photo Archive/CBS)

CBS sold off its radio stations in 2017, but continued to produce and distribute its network programs as the business faced competition from digital media.

Dustin Gervais, technical operations manager for the network, said CBS News Radio struggled as more audio advertisers prefer digital content because of its effectiveness at targeting specific demographic groups. The shift is reflected in radio ad revenue, which dipped about 2% to $14.37 billion, according to media research firm Kagan. But the digital ad revenue portion of that pie continued to grow, topping $1.75 billion.

Charles Forelle, managing editor for CBS News, said the company plans to remain in the audio journalism business through podcasting and not straight newscasts.

“We have a whole bunch of different things in development that are less news reading and more other things,” he told The Times.

Not all of radio’s problems are related to digital.

Michael Socolow, a professor of communication and journalism at the University of Maine, notes that the industry troubles began in 1996 when deregulation loosened the limit on the number of stations a single entity can own. Buying sprees of outlets led to owners who became highly leveraged and less able to invest in programming, which put the squeeze on suppliers such as CBS News Radio.

“Radio was hollowed out by the corporations, before its utility to the American citizen ended,” Socolow said. “You can trace it to the Telecom Act of 1996.”

Some of the 26 employees at CBS News Radio who were severed from the company have found work at Worldwide News Network, a service launched by John Catsimatidis, the owner of New York’s top-rated talk station WABC. The company said the service, which begins Saturday, will deliver “hard news, breaking headlines, and fact-driven reporting to affiliates across the country.”

CBS News Radio’s biggest customer — the all-news stations owned by Audacy, including KNX — have already switched their network service to ABC News Audio.

Source link