sparks

Say goodbye to Spring Break? Government shutdown sparks concern of travel chaos over busy period

SPRING Break travelers are set to be hit by disruption amid the partial government shutdown.

Major airlines and travel groups have urged Congress to sort out funding for thousands of Transportation and Security Administration workers.

Millions of high school and college students are preparing to travel nationwide for Spring breakCredit: Getty
50,000 TSA workers will be hit by the partial government shutdownCredit: Reuters

It comes as millions of high school and college students are preparing to travel nationwide for Spring break.

The annual one-to-two-week academic vacation period is kicking off soon.

But, holidaymakers and flyers will be hit by annoying flight delays and longer wait times at security due to the partial US homeland security shutdown, according to travel groups and airlines.

And, TSA staff are likely to suffer financially, reported Simple Flying on Saturday.

“Not again: 50,000 TSA officers face unpaid work as shutdown threatens Spring Break travel,” its headline warned.

“As yet another government shutdown looms, so does one of the busiest travel times of the Year — spring break,” said U.S. Travel, Airlines for America, and the American Hotel & Lodging Association in a joint statement last Friday.

“Travelers and the U.S. economy cannot afford to have essential TSA personnel working without pay.”

They warned that the funding delays raise “the risk of unscheduled absences and call outs, and ultimately can lead to higher wait times and missed or delayed flights.”

The annual one-to-two-week academic vacation period is kicking off soonCredit: Getty

The partial government shutdown began on Saturday over money for the Department of Homeland Security.

Congressional Democrats and President Donald Trump’s team failed to reach a deal on legislation to fund the department through September.

And their inability to reach a compromise has sparked huge concern within the travel and hospitality industry – particularly with Spring break looming, plus the FIFA World Cup 2026.

The United States, along with Canada and Mexico, will be hosting the biennial football competition from June 11 through July 20.

Airlines for America also warned that funding uncertainty is “creating lasting damage to the entire travel ecosystem.”

The organization said the damaging interruption would hit “airlines, hotels and thousands of small businesses the travel industry supports.”

Tips on getting through TSA security faster during the 2026 partial shutdown

Funding for the DHS expired at midnight last Friday

The 95% of TSA workers deemed essential personnel will be required to keep working – but without pay.

To minimize delays at the airport:

  • Arrive at the airport with ample time to pass through airport security – about 1–2 hours before your flight
  • Ensuring you are dressed without excess layers or metal devices
  • Slip-on shoes also make the screening at TSA much quicker

Source: Simple Flying

“With America’s 250th anniversary and the 2026 World Cup this summer, the nation should be focused on showcasing the country on the world stage and maximizing the multi-billion-dollar economic opportunity these events bring,” the statement added.

“A lapse in TSA funding will significantly undermine those efforts.

“Last year’s shutdown alone resulted in an economic impact of $6 billion —nearly $140 million per day — and disrupted travel for more than 6 million travelers.”

FATAL SHOOTINGS

It comes days after Delta Air Lines’ boss told international visitors ahead of the World Cup that the U.S. remains a welcoming destination despite the controversial crackdown on immigration.

“Hopefully, the World Cup will bring a lot of Europeans, a lot of international visitors into the US market,” said Ed Bastian last Thursday.

“Yes, the US has a focus on immigration. This is not immigration. This is tourism,” Bastian added.

“And as long as people are coming with the proper credentials, they’re not having any issues.”

Democrats are demanding changes to how immigration operations are conducted after the fatal shootings of U.S. citizens Alex Pretti and Renee Good by federal officers in Minneapolis last month.

Congress is on recess until February 23.

OFF SICK

The longer the shutdown continues, the more likely flyers will be hit with delays as they will have to queue in longer lines at airports if workers call in sick.

Ha Nguyen McNeill, the acting TSA administrator, explained last Wednesday that TSA remained “laser-focused on returning the U.S. back to being the top global travel destination.”

Spring break 2026 – in numbers

  • Spring breakers are primarily high school and college students
  • 2 million college students travel for the holiday nationwide
  • Florida enjoys a $2.7 billion economic windfall from Spring break
  • Cancun’s Spring break tourism brings in $300 million yearly
  • More than 500,000 students flock to South Beach Miami
  • 1.5 million visitors attend Spring break in Panama City Beach
  • Only around 30% of bookings are made within 30 days of travel
  • The most popular domestic beach destinations this year are: Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Los Angeles, and San Diego

Sources: Travel Awaits and Gitnux

However, this can’t happen “in a timely manner if Congress does not fund DHS through the end of Fiscal Year 2026.”

“With the United States hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup in June of this year, TSA does not have the luxury of time to prepare for the influx of passengers and international travelers,” McNeill warned.

“A lack of funding and predictability will pose significant challenges on our ability to deliver transportation security for the American public with the level of excellence we expect, and the American taxpayer deserves.”

It follows a record 43-day shutdown last fall.

TSA agents fall under the DHS.

Source link

Falcons’ James Pearce arrested after domestic dispute with Rickea Jackson

Atlanta Falcons rookie star James Pearce Jr. was arrested near Miami on Saturday night after fleeing officers and then crashing his car following what police said was a domestic dispute with Sparks player Rickea Jackson.

Pearce, the first-round pick who led the Falcons in sacks and was third in NFL defensive rookie of the year voting, was booked into the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center after Doral police were summoned to investigate a reported domestic dispute between a man and a woman.

According to jail records, Pearce is facing charges of two counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon as well as aggravated stalking and fleeing or eluding police with lights or siren. Bond was not immediately set on all the charges.

The Falcons said in a statement they are aware of the arrest.

“We are aware of an incident involving James Pearce Jr. in Miami,” the Falcons said in a statement provided to the Associated Press. “We are in the process of gathering more information and will not have any further comment on an open legal matter at this time.”

WPLG TV in Miami reported Doral Police Chief Edwin Lopez confirmed the dispute was between Pearce and Jackson, a forward for the WNBA’s Sparks. Jackson was the No. 4 overall pick in the 2024 WNBA draft and averaged 14.7 points in 38 games, including 37 starts, in the 2025 season. Jackson played college basketball for Tennessee and Mississippi State.

Pearce, an edge rusher from Tennessee, was the No. 26 overall pick in the 2025 NFL draft as the Falcons emphasized the pass rush. Pearce had 10 1/2 sacks and his 45 quarterback pressures set a team record for a rookie. Pearce had 26 tackles and 16 quarterback hits. He forced a fumble and recovered a fumble while playing in all 17 games.

The Falcons finished 8-9, leading to the firings of coach Raheem Morris and general manager Terry Fontenot. The Falcons hired Kevin Stefanski as coach and Ian Cunningham as general manager.

Odum writes for the Associated Press. AP Sports Writer Maura Carey in Atlanta contributed to this report.

Source link

Major European airport SHUTS with all flights grounded as snow, freezing rain and black ice sparks chaos

TRAVELLERS are facing major disruption as one of Europe’s busiest airports was forced to shut today due to freezing rain and black ice.

The shutdown has left passengers stranded and flights grounded as crews battle to make runways safe amid worsening winter conditions.

Passengers in front of check-in counters at Berlin Brandenburg Airport.
Berlin Brandenburg Airport was forced to close due to adverse weather conditionsCredit: AP

According to FlightAware, around 170 flights at Berlin Brandenburg Airport have been cancelled in the last 24 hours.

Operations came to a sudden standstill on Thursday at 6pm CET, with the airport saying on its website: “Due to weather conditions, no take-offs or landings are currently possible.”

The airport remains closed today as adverse weather conditions continue to disrupt transport across north Germany.

Berlin Brandenburg Airport said in a statement: “We currently have freezing rain and black ice and cannot yet predict when takeoffs and landings will be possible.

SUPER SAVER

See Super Bowl 2027 in Los Angeles with this once-in-a-lifetime travel deal


LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN

Premier League Darts is almost sold out with ticket packages from £125

“Passengers need to be patient and expect significant delays and cancellations.”

British Airways and EasyJet cancelled some of their morning services from London airports to Berlin.

Lufthansa also scrapped a number of flights in and out of the city.

German weather service DWD warned of “significant slipperiness” caused by icy conditions spanning Berlin to the Baltic Coast and Polish border.

Forecasters were uncertain about when travel disruptions might ease, with the cold snap anticipated to continue across northwest Europe into next week.

Germany’s national railway operator Deutsche Bahn said train service between Berlin and Hanover have also been affected by the icy weather.

Source link

Laila Edwards sparks U.S. women’s hockey to Olympic win over Czechia

Laila Edwards finally got out from under the spotlight and onto the ice for the U.S. women’s hockey team Thursday. It was a simple act, but one that made history.

Yet for Edwards, it was just another day at the office.

“It didn’t feel different at all,” she said. “It’s still hockey at the end of the day. Even though it’s the highest level, it’s still hockey.”

With her first shift in Thursday’s 5-1 win over Czechia, on the first day of hockey at the Milan-Cortina Winter Games, Edwards became the first Black woman to play for the U.S. national team in an Olympic tournament. On a team full of record-breakers, it was a significant milestone, one that has become a storyline for the world’s top-ranked team.

“Cameras constantly in her face. She does a good job of whatever she needs to do,” said teammate Tessa Janecke, who had two second-period assists. “It’s very inspiring for us as her teammates, but as well as the next generation.”

And that, of course, is the point.

“Representation matters,” Edwards said. “There’s been a lot of young kids or parents of young kids who have reached out or I’ve run into that say, ‘You know, my daughter plays sports because of you. And she feels seen and represented,’ and that’s just really motivating.”

Just 22, Edwards is already accustomed to breaking barriers and being the youngest this or the first that.

In 2023, she became the first Black player on the women’s senior national team in any competition; a year later, she became, at 20, the youngest player to win the MVP award in the World Championship.

But if doing that has been easy, talking about it has taken some work.

“I could not do interviews or not talk about it, but then the story doesn’t get out there,” she said. “And maybe a little girl doesn’t see me, who looks like her. So I think that’s what’s more important.”

On Thursday, playing before Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and a packed house at the Milano Rho Ice Hockey Arena, Edwards marked her Olympic debut by helping put the Americans ahead to stay, feeding Megan Keller in the high slot for a slap shot that Alex Carpenter redirected in a first-period power-play goal.

Second-period goals from Joy Dunne and Hayley Scamurra — both on assists from Janecke — and third-period goals from Scamurra and Hilary Knight, sandwiched around one from Czechia’s Barbora Jurickova, accounted for the final score in a game in which the top-ranked Americans outshot the fourth-ranked Czechs 42-14.

Still, the night belonged to Edwards, a player Knight calls “the future of the sport.” But she’s doing pretty well in the present too, having already won two national championships with Wisconsin and two world championship medals with Team USA.

Edwards started skating shortly after she learned to walk, then switched to hockey before starting kindergarten, when her father Robert, who played the game as a child, enrolled her and three siblings in a youth hockey program. By 8, she was so advanced she was playing with boys’ teams and for high school she left her native Cleveland Heights, Ohio, for the elite girls’ hockey program at Bishop Kearney High School in Rochester, N.Y.

Although she was a high-scoring forward in high school and college — she led the nation with 35 goals as a junior at Wisconsin — she’s proven versatile enough to play on the blue line in the Olympics. That’s a little like playing a running back at right guard.

“I couldn’t even imagine that,” forward Abbey Murphy said of Edwards, who skated a team-high 25 shifts Thursday. “She took it and she just kind of ate it up and she made defenseman look easy. She’s magic on the blue line.”

At 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds — making her the biggest and most physical player on the U.S. team — Edwards was well-suited for the move.

“She’s so dynamic, so athletic, you could put her in goal and she would perform,” said Caroline Harvey, a teammate in high school, college and now with the national team. “She’s just adjusted so well. It’s seamless. It doesn’t even seem like she’s switched positions.”

Edwards hasn’t made her journey to the Olympics alone, however, a fact she acknowledged after Thursday’s game. Although her father is responsible for her start in hockey, it looked like he wouldn’t be able to travel to Milan to see his daughter make history. So Edwards’ parents started a crowdfunding campaign to pay for flights and accommodations.

Jason and Travis Kelce, brothers and former Super Bowl players who also grew up in Cleveland Heights, learned of the campaign and quickly kicked in $10,000, allowing 14 members of Edwards’ family to come to Italy — where their cheers were audible every time her name was announced.

“They show support,” Edwards said. “And they’re really cool guys.”

After her Olympic debut Thursday, there are a lot of little girls who can say the same about Edwards.

Source link

Trump’s Fed pick sparks brutal gold and silver sell-off

Published on

Gold and silver prices extended last week’s dramatic sell-off on Monday, as investors continued to digest the implications of President Donald Trump’s announcement of Kevin Warsh as the next chair of the US Federal Reserve.

The move has fuelled expectations of a more government pressure on the Fed and prompted a sharp reassessment of positions across precious metals.

Spot gold fell as much as 10% in early trading, while silver plunged up to 16%, following Friday’s rout that marked the largest intraday decline on record for the white metal.

The scale and speed of the move underscored how vulnerable the market had become after months of aggressive buying driven by geopolitical tension and bets on looser US monetary policy.

“The sharp selloff on Friday followed news that US President Donald Trump intends to nominate Kevin Warsh as the next Federal Reserve chair – a development that boosted the US dollar and reinforced expectations of a more hawkish policy stance,” said Ewa Manthey, commodities strategist at ING, and Warren Patterson, head of commodities strategy.

“While a correction was overdue after the intense rally, the scale of Friday’s decline far exceeded most expectations.”

Why the Fed matters for gold

Gold and silver are particularly sensitive to US interest-rate expectations.

Higher rates increase the opportunity cost of holding non-yielding assets such as precious metals, while a stronger dollar makes them more expensive for overseas buyers.

Warsh, a former Fed governor, has voice sentiments supportive of Trump’s vision for the Fed, including regular rate cuts.

That reassessment has been swift. Investor caution has been evident in exchange-traded funds, with silver holdings falling for a seventh consecutive session to their lowest level since November 2025.

Futures data also show speculators cutting back sharply on bullish bets, signalling a broader retreat from the sector.

“CFTC positioning shows a cooling in speculative interest across precious metals,” the ING report continued.

“Managed money net longs in COMEX gold fell by 17,741 lots last week… Speculators also cut net longs in silver… taking positioning to its lowest since February 2024.”

Margins rise, volatility bites

Market stress has been amplified by mechanical factors.

CME Group is set to raise margin requirements on COMEX gold and silver futures after last week’s historic swings, forcing traders to post more collateral or reduce exposure.

Such moves tend to accelerate sell-offs, particularly in heavily leveraged markets.

Attention is now turning to Asia, where Chinese investors have historically provided support during price dips. However, with volatility elevated and the Lunar New Year approaching, participation may be more cautious than usual.

“With volatility spiking and the Lunar New Year approaching, traders are likely to pare back positions and reduce risk,” the ING analysts said.

“Price direction in the near term will hinge on the extent of dip-buying from Chinese investors following Friday’s retreat.”

Outlook remains fragile

For now, the precious metals market remains at the mercy of macro forces, with little clarity on how quickly sentiment will stabilise.

Investors are watching US data closely for clues on real interest rates and the dollar’s next move, both of which will be shaped by expectations around the Fed’s future direction.

“Overall, volatility across precious metals is likely to remain elevated in the near term,” Manthey and Patterson said.

“For gold and silver, macro uncertainty, real rate expectations, and USD direction will continue to dominate sentiment,” the report concluded.

Source link