revamp

Two of the UK’s busiest train stations will REOPEN tomorrow after monumental £20million revamp

TWO of the UK’s busiest train stations will reopen tomorrow after a major closure.

The transport hubs were shut off to the public last month in order for a huge £20million refurbishment to take place.

Southeastern train leaving Waterloo East Railway Station.
Two major London train stations are set to reopen after a big closure Credit: Alamy
Charing Cross Station, London, with Embankment Place (a post-modern style block by architect Terry Farrell) built over the platforms, and two trains visible.
Charing Cross and Waterloo East will welcome passengers back from August 17 Credit: Alamy

London‘s Charing Cross and Waterloo East train stations were both out of service for 22-days, with the revamp project having begun on July 26.

Serving millions of passengers between them every year, they’re two of the capital’s most used stations.

The closure meant that all Charing Cross and Waterloo East services were cancelled, with commuters having to use alternative routes.

Southeastern Rail trains continued to run during the works but trains that usually terminated at Charing Cross were diverted to London Victoria, London Blackfriars, London Cannon Street or London Bridge.

PLANE PAINFUL

Major UK airport warns of travel disruption for NINE days


TRAVEL MORE

Brits over 50 reveal their BIGGEST regret – not travelling enough

But with the works now completed, services will resume as usual on Monday,August 17.

While services will return to normal at the two stations on August 17, a further closure is planned on August 23 for one day so engineers can ensure the works were completed successfully.

The stations shut down in order for engineering works to take place, with £20million spent on regenerating tracks, platforms and bridges.

The work was given the green light in a bid to keep the stations “fit for the future” and make travelling safer and more reliable for passengers.

Almost two kilometres of 36-year-old track was replaced, while Charing Cross’s platforms needed repairs.

Structural repairs to the Waterloo East to London Waterloo pedestrian link bridge and the Hungerford Bridge were also part of the project.

Scott Brightwell, train services director at Southeastern Railway, said: “The £20million investment we are delivering will see 1990s track and platforms upgraded to make journeys safer and more reliable, and Victorian era structures strengthened to remain fit for the future.”

He added that the regeneration was scheduled for over the school summer holidays, in order to reduce disruption.

With schools closed and passenger numbers around 20 per cent lower, the dates were chosen to “help manage the impact on customers”.

Source link

New poll finds voters poised to pass Prop. 57 and revamp California’s prison parole rules

Gov. Jerry Brown’s effort to revise and ultimately loosen state prison parole rules appears to be on its way to passage on Nov. 8, as a new poll finds strong support across a wide swath of California voters.

Fifty-seven percent of likely voters in a new USC Dornsife/Los Angeles Times survey backed Brown’s Proposition 57, and only 31% were opposed. While earlier polling showed an even wider lead, the proposal has had consistently solid backing throughout the campaign season.

“Proposition 57 should pass comfortably,” said Ben Winston of Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research, the Democratic pollster who makes up the bipartisan team that conducts the survey.

The measure, which would allow more prisoners a chance at parole and give additional authority to prison officials to award good-behavior credits, has wide appeal among the state’s young voters.

As many as two-thirds of the poll’s likely voters under the age of 40 supported Proposition 57, with the highest backing from younger white Californians. Support was at, or surpassed, the 60% threshold among Democrats, white voters who are “independent” of any political party and Latino women.

The only serious opposition came from registered Republicans, self-described conservatives and older, non-college-educated voters.

Young voters may be a harbinger of a dramatic long-term shift on crime and punishment in a state where long prison sentences for sensationalized crimes were once the hallmark of successful campaigns.

“This generation of California voters simply wasn’t alive when a tough-on-crime approach was necessary to win a statewide election,” said Dan Schnur, director of USC’s Unruh Institute of Politics.

Political analysts also point to a potential correlation in the poll between supporters of the parole overhaul and those who support Proposition 64, the effort to fully legalize marijuana. Seventy-one percent of the likely voters who support the marijuana measure also support Proposition 57.

“I think there are parallel issues here,” said Doug Herman, a Democratic strategist. “They’re making the point that the criminal justice system is broken.”

The ballot box guide to California’s propositions »

Brown has fought bitterly with district attorneys across California over Proposition 57, which he contends is simply offering the chance for a prisoner’s request to be heard by the state Board of Parole Hearings. Under the measure, parole commissioners could consider releasing any prisoner whose primary sentence was not for one of the state’s specifically listed violent crimes, and then only for secondary crimes or enhancements added at the time of sentencing.

Prosecutors, on the other hand, argue that Proposition 57 would almost certainly lead to the early release of dangerous criminals. And they believe the initiative’s expansion of good-behavior credits would mean less time behind bars even for high-risk predators.

The USC/Times poll, like most nonpartisan surveys, tested voter opinions by using Proposition 57’s official ballot title and summary — a description that has become a bone of contention during the campaign.

“The ballot title and summary is a gross and blatant misrepresentation of what this measure would do,” said Merced County Dist. Atty. Larry Morse. “It is incredibly dishonest.”

Law enforcement opponents dispute that new parole eligibility would be given only to offender, who are “nonviolent,” a word that Morse said he believes downplays the threat and thus artificially inflates any estimates of true voter support for the governor’s policy proposal.

“He knows damn good and well this applies to crimes that anyone would see as violent,” Morse said of Brown.

Dan Newman, a spokesman for the Proposition 57 campaign, said the measure is “exactly what voters want in a public safety policy — a focus on keeping dangerous offenders locked up while rehabilitating nonviolent offenders before they get out.”

While most of the focus is on the impact of revising prison parole procedures, Proposition 57 also would revoke provisions of a 2000 ballot measure that has sent some juvenile defendants into adult courtrooms. Prosecutors helped lead the campaign for that proposal 16 years ago, but Morse said he and other district attorneys now agree those teenagers should remain in the juvenile justice system.

Sign up for our daily Essential Politics newsletter »

The survey of 1,500 registered voters was conducted for USC Dornsife and the Los Angeles Times by Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research and American Viewpoint. Support for the ballot initiative was almost identical among the entire sample — 58% in favor — as it was among likely voters.

The poll results come as both sides in the Proposition 57 campaign ramp up efforts to persuade voters. Brown has raised more than $19.7 million in support of the measure, with the largest share of that money spent during the spring on gathering signatures to quickly qualify the initiative for the ballot after skirmishes in court over whether it was properly vetted under state election law. The governor’s effort had enough money left over for campaign mailers and a statewide radio ad blitz, while opponents, having raised less than $1.4 million, have had fewer opportunities.

That imbalance may help explain another strong marker for the initiative in the poll: It was winning with 63% of voters who said they already have cast a ballot.

john.myers@latimes.com

Follow @johnmyers on Twitter, sign up for our daily Essential Politics newsletter and listen to the weekly California Politics Podcast

ALSO:

Detailed poll results

Gov. Jerry Brown’s Prop 57 is a parole showdown with prosecutors

What you need to know about the 17 propositions on the Nov. 8 ballot

Track news on California ballot measures and campaigns



Source link

Crews are draining the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool again as part of Trump’s troubled revamp

Crews are again draining the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool as President Trump’s problem-plagued efforts to revamp the waterway pushes well past his initial goal of having it ready by July 4 to mark the nation’s 250th birthday.

The president at first suggested his renovations would last a century. But within weeks of the project originally reaching completion last month, the water was beset by an algae bloom and pieces of the new coating appeared to be peeling off the bottom.

Trump has blamed the peeling on vandals, though critics allege it’s from shoddy repair work.

Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, whose agency oversees the National Park Service, told conservative podcaster Katie Miller in an interview released earlier this week that the new round of draining was planned. He also said that the water might still contain debris from an extensive Independence Day fireworks display over the National Mall.

“Drain the water, clean up the fireworks stuff,” Burgum told Miller, who is the wife of deputy White House chief of staff Stephen Miller. “Repair the vandalism that was done. Fill it back up again.”

The work on the Reflecting Pool is just one of a number of projects Trump has spearheaded across the nation’s capital. Most prominently, he demolished the White House’s East Wing to build a $400-million ballroom and plans to build a towering arch between the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington National Cemetery.

He initially announced his intentions to beautify the Reflecting Pool this spring, saying he wanted it completed before the nation’s 250th birthday celebrations.

Water was drained and Trump directed that the bottom be painted what he called “American flag blue.” In May, the president posted on his social media site of the pool: “The goal is to have it done, at this higher level, prior to July 4th — We are ahead of schedule!”

But problems began quickly after the initial work was finished. Trump blamed vandals, and court documents later showed that the National Park Service reported to the U.S. Park Police a June 9 incident in which a sharp knife or razor cut the pool’s new liner.

On Thursday, former Olympic canoe racer David Hearn pleaded not guilty in D.C. Superior Court to deliberately damaging the Reflecting Pool. Hearn has said he reached inside the pool to examine the peeled sealant and let go of a chunk when he was told to by a park worker.

His attorneys and other Trump administration critics have derided the case as an abuse of prosecutorial power and maintain he is being scapegoated for the poor job done fixing up the Reflecting Pool.

At least three other people have been charged in the same court with misdemeanors for allegedly removing pieces of paint from the Reflecting Pool, according to online court records. All three pleaded not guilty during their initial court appearances Wednesday.

The pool was closed for the Independence Day celebration, which featured what Trump said was the largest fireworks display in the world. The president had said that the pool would have to be drained anew as part of the new round of repairs.

Burgum has also said that the Trump administration won’t seek bids for the new rounds of repairs. He told CNN’s “State of the Union” last weekend: “We’ll use the same company because they did a fantastic job.”

Ohio-based Green Water Solutions, also known as Greenwater Services, was given a $1.7-million contract to install a water-purification system in the Reflecting Pool, while Virginia-based Atlantic Industrial Coatings was awarded $14.7 million to repaint and waterproof the pool’s concrete floor.

Democratic senators and House members are investigating the pool project, including seeking answers about how much taxpayer funding is involved.

Weissert writes for the Associated Press.

Source link

Popular seaside city to get huge £22million revamp of Victorian seafront

King's Road Arches on the Brighton seafront in the United Kingdom, with shops on the lower level, a white hotel, and other buildings, under a clear sky.

A MAJOR seaside destination is set to undergo a multi-million upgrade over the next few years.

The Victorian arches along Brighton seafront will soon get a £22million refresh.

£22million is being invested in historic arches along Brighton seafront Credit: Alamy

The arches can be found along King’s Road, which sits on the seafront and the project will take place over two phases.

The first phase will focus on the area between the bandstand and the i360 which will be completed in 2027.

And the second phase will focus on the area by Shelter Hall and is set to be completed by 2029.

The arches were originally built in the 1860s and 1880s to store fishing boats.

Read more on travel inspo

GO ON

All the little-known websites for cheap or FREE tickets to gigs, theatre & festivals


ALL IN

I found the best value all inclusive London hotel… just £55pp with free food & booze

When Brighton then became popular, the spaces were then used as photography studios and lounges.

Today, the arches are home to independent shops and beachfront cafes .

Back in March it was also announced that the nearby Grade II listed Madeira Terrace would reopen this winter following a £750,000 revamp.

The promenade was built back in 1890 and features 151 arches in total.

And parts of the iron on the arches feature Poseidon – the Greek god of the sea – and Aphrodite – the goddess of love.

Brighton is also getting a huge get 53,819sqft of waterfront shops and 1,000 new homes.

It is part of the eight new developments across Brighton Marina

Roads and Buses Minister, Simon Lightwood, said: “Brighton is home to a whole host of attractions, from its iconic beach and legendary pier to the fantastic local businesses dotted across the nearby lanes.

The arches are currently home to independent shops and cafes Credit: Alamy
Elsewhere in Brighton the nearby Grade II listed Madeira Terrace is also getting a revamp Credit: Alamy

“This funding will mean that everyone can continue to enjoy all of these for the next 120 years by revamping the Victorian arches that dozens of businesses along the seafront call home – boosting growth across Brighton.”

Councillor Trevor Muten, Cabinet member for Transport and City Infrastructure, said: “This funding means we can strengthen the Victorian-era arches so they can support the road, pavement and cycle lane on one of the city’s busiest routes for another 100 years.

“But we’ll also be able to create a better home for local businesses in this vibrant space on the seafront and, working with local communities, look at options for a new and improved King’s Road paddling pool area.”



Source link

No trains to run on major UK line for 3 DAYS this weekend for huge station revamp

A UK train line will be closed for three days this weekend as the station undergoes major works.

Travellers are advised to plan their journeys in advance as there will be no trains running on the busy West Midlands line.

Exterior view of the new modern stainless steel entrance to Birmingham New Street railway station.
A major UK train line between Birmingham and Lichfield will be closed this weekend Credit: Alamy
West Midlands Railway Vivarail class 230 passing Forders sidings, Stewartby on the Marston vale Bedford to Bletchley railway line
Passengers are advised to plan their journeys in advance while the major works take place Credit: Alamy

Between May 29 and May 31, there will be no trains running between Birmingham New Street and Lichfield Trent Valley Station.

Network Rail has announced that the closures will be in place to allow for the installation of a new viaduct.

The planned work will take place over the weekend and services are expected to return to normal on Monday, June 1.

For those travelling southbound on the Cross City line, services will be continuing as normal between Birmingham New Street and Redditch/Bromsgrove.

FARE GAME

Budget UK train operator launches new service linking major cities for just £30


STRIKE OUT

Major strike warning across European country set to hit 500 flights

The “complex” installation work will also affect services between Birmingham New Street and Tame Bridge Parkway, to ensure all works are carried out safely.

Passengers affected by the disruption will be able to travel on rail replacement buses, running from Birmingham New Street to both Lichfield Trent Valley and Tame Bridge Parkway

For those travelling to Rugeley Trent Valley, the services will be diverted and journeys are expected to take longer than usual, so passengers are advised to allow extra time for possible delays.

The major works comprise of the installation of a 150-metre-long viaduct, located near the new Curzon Street Station, that will transport HS2 trains over an existing Victorian viaduct between Duddeston and New Street.

Director for On Network Works at Network Rail and HS2, Patrick Crawley, said: “We’re reminding passengers to plan ahead for a three-day closure on the Cross City line between Birmingham and Lichfield to enable the safe installation of a new HS2 viaduct over the existing railway.

“This is a significant milestone in the delivery of HS2 at Curzon Street, and while there will be some disruption, we’ve worked closely with partners to keep people moving and minimise the impact as much as possible.”

Customer experience director for West Midlands Railway, Jonny Wiseman, added: “We want to thank passengers for their patience while this major piece of engineering work is carried out and the northern section of the Cross City Line is closed.

“Rail replacement buses will be running during the closure, and passengers are encouraged to check their travel before setting out.”

Source link