Morocco

Morocco king pardons jailed Senegal football fans for humanitarian reasons | Football News

Morocco jailed 17 Senegal fans following fan disturbances at the Africa Cup of Nations final in January.

Morocco’s King Mohammed VI has pardoned the Senegalese football supporters jailed after violence at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final in Rabat for “humanitarian reasons”, a royal court statement has confirmed.

It said that in view “of the age-old fraternal ties” between the two countries “and on the occasion of the advent of Eid al-Adha”, the king has “granted, on humanitarian grounds, his royal pardon to the Senegalese supporters”.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The Muslim holiday will be celebrated on Wednesday in Morocco.

The 18 fans were jailed following a pitch invasion that followed the awarding of a penalty to Morocco in injury time of the final on January 18.

The game was stopped for 14 minutes while the Senegal players and staff left the field in protest at the decision. When play resumed, Morocco missed the penalty before Senegal sealed a 1-0 win in injury time.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF), the continent’s governing body for football, overturned the decision on March 17, awarding the game as a 3-0 win to Morocco, which saw the North Africans crowned champions.

CAF upheld the appeal by the Royal Moroccan Football Federation, saying Senegal had infringed tournament regulations by walking off.

Senegal have lodged their own appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, a ruling from the Switzerland-based body could take up to a year.

Source link

Remains of second missing U.S. soldier in Morocco recovered

May 13 (UPI) — The remains of a second U.S. soldier who went missing during exercises in Morocco earlier this month have been recovered, the U.S. military said Wednesday evening, ending a joint U.S.-Morocco search.

The remains of Spc. Mariyah Symone Collington, 19, of Tavares, Fla., were located and retrieved Tuesday from a coastal cave roughly 1,640 feet from where she and 27-year-old 1st Lt. Kendrick Lamont Key Jr. are believed to have fallen into the ocean, U.S. Army Europe and Africa said.

Key’s remains were located and recovered Saturday.

“The loss of Spc. Collington is a profound loss for the 10th Army Air and Missile Defense Command,” Brig. Gen. Curtis King, commanding general of the 10th Army Air and Missile Defense Command, said in a statement.

“Her recovery closes the search for our two missing soldiers, but our commitment to caring for their families, friends and teammates continues. We are grateful to the U.S. and Moroccan forces for their professionalism and support throughout the search.”

Key and Collington went missing May 2 near the Cap Draa Training Area, a coastal military training site near Tan-Tan, located in southwestern Morocco about 342 miles southwest of Marrakech, where they were participating in African Lion 26, this year’s iteration of the U.S. military’s largest Africa-based exercise.

Their disappearance was not related to active training. Military officials believe they fell into the Atlantic Ocean near cliffs during a recreational hike. They were reported missing the night of May 2 after a base-wide head count, prompting a joint U.S.-Moroccan search.

U.S. military officials said Collington’s remains were transported via helicopter by the Royal Moroccan Armed Forces to the morgue of Moulay El Hassan Military Hospital in Guelmim, about 80 miles northeast of Tan-Tan.

Moroccan and U.S. forces conducted a “dignified carry” at the military airport in Guelmim on Tuesday, and the remains of Key and Collington have departed Morocco for the United States, USAREUR-AF said.

“Spc. Collington was a bright light in this battalion,” said Lt. Col. Chris Couch, the 5-4 ADAR battalion commander.

“To the soldiers who knew her best and served alongside her each day, she was a treasured friend whose loss leaves a deep and profound void on our team.”

Source link

U.S. soldier’s remains found in Morocco; search continues for another

May 11 (UPI) — The remains of one of two U.S. soldiers who disappeared during exercises in Morocco earlier this month have been recovered, the U.S. military said, as the search continues for the other soldier.

A Moroccan military search team found the remains of 1st Lt. Kendrick Lamont Key Jr. at 8:55 a.m. Saturday, the U.S. Army Europe and Africa announced Sunday.

USAREUR-AF said Key’s remains were found along the shoreline of the Atlantic Ocean within 1 mile of where the two soldiers are believed to have disappeared.

His remains have been transported by the Royal Moroccan Armed Forces via helicopter to the morgue of Moulay El Hassan Military Hospital in Guelmim, located about 265 miles southwest of Marrakesh.

Next of kin have been notified and plans are underway to repatriate his remains, officials said.

“Our hearts are with his family, friends, teammates and all who knew and served alongside him,” Brig. Gen. Curtis King, commanding general of the 10th Army Air and Missile Defense Command, said in a statement.

“The 10th Army Air and Missile Defense Command family is grieving, and we will continue to support one another and 1st Lt. Key’s family as we honor his life and service.”

Key, 27, and a second U.S. soldier went missing May 2 near Cap Draa Training Area, a coastal military training site near Tan-Tan, during African Lion 26, this year’s version of the U.S. military’s largest Africa-based exercise.

Their disappearance is unrelated to the exercises, with military officials believing the pair may have slipped off a cliff during a hike near the training range.

The pair were reported missing at 9 p.m. May 2 during a base-wide head count, and a search was launched.

U.S. military officials said they worked with Moroccan forces, concentrating intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets in the search, which involved more than 1,000 U.S. and Moroccan military and civilian personnel.

The search effort continues for the remaining missing soldier, they said.

Key was from Richmond, Va., and was a platoon leader assigned to Charlie Battery, 5th Battalion, 4th Air Defense Artillery Regiment, 10th Army Air and Missile Defense Command.

USAREUR-AF said he was known at Charlie Battery, which he joined last year, for “the care he showed for his soldiers, his commitment to others and the relationships he built across the formation.”

“Kendrick embodied the highest standards of service as a selfless, inspirational leader whose unwavering dedication to his soldiers and their development leaves an enduring legacy within our ranks,” Lt. Col. Chris Couch, commander of 5-4 ADAR, said in a statement.

Virginia Gov. Abigail Spanberger issued an online statement of condolence.

“Adam and I join Virginians across our Commonwealth in extending our deepest condolences to his family, friends and loved ones,” she said.

Source link

‘We sold everything to drive around the world in a van – this was the best place’

Kath Cross, 49, and her partner Stu Hall, 47, sold most of their possessions and set off on a van life adventure across Europe and beyond after Kath’s daughters moved out of the family home

A couple who flogged all their belongings to explore the globe in a van have disclosed their top destination from their remarkable journey.

Kath Cross, 49, and her partner Stu Hall, 47, chose to embark on worldwide travels after Kath’s daughters from an earlier relationship, Stephanie, 30, and Jessica, 22, had flown the nest. Following their departure, Kath came to the realisation that she could work from wherever she fancied and opted to sell much of what she owned.

Using the proceeds from flogging items on Facebook Marketplace, she and Stu purchased a van, a 7.5m Mercedes Sprinter, and set off to see the world after vacating their rented property in Cardiff, Wales.

Since departing, they’ve weathered the highs and lows of perpetual life on the move, while also lending a hand to others during their travels.

Chatting to WalesOnline, Kath and Stu, who crossed paths through a walking club, revealed which country had impressed them most during their adventure, reports the Express.

The duo have journeyed through destinations including Spain, Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark, Italy, North Macedonia, Kosovo, and Montenegro, amongst other European nations.

They selected Morocco as their standout location, saying: “In Morocco we went to the edge of the Sahara. We were sitting looking over the edge on the sand dunes drinking coffee from a mug from home – it was huge.

“Then we had snow in the Atlas mountains in January 2024 when we rescued Mohammed, ‘MouMou’, who was stuck 3,000m up in the snow in his car. We took him out with our snow chains and lent our snow chains to him. MouMou is in his late 20s and a really nice guy.

“We were just heading over the Atlas mountains when we saw him. People were just driving past him worrying he was a bandit when he just couldn’t drive on.”

However, Kath and Stu aren’t the only ones to have embraced van life, with the likes of Suzy Greenwood ditching her London job to live on the road after falling head over heels for the lifestyle.

Suzy, 39, had spent 15 years forging a career in PR before deciding to make the leap once the Covid-19 lockdowns had lifted. Confronted with her flat in Shepherd’s Bush, London, she told the Independent she realised she was “no longer doing the things I loved” in London.

After offloading her two-bedroom flat, she purchased a converted Volkswagen Caddy van and embarked on a fresh chapter. She revealed that despite the van’s compact size, it carries several distinct advantages, not least the financial savings.

She explained: “The van itself is tiny, which is great because I can park up anywhere. It looks like a workman’s van, so I can sleep in a lay-by, or at beautiful spots overlooking the sea.

“Where I once spent maybe £200 on a fancy dinner, I can now spend £10 on a whole weekend and be having the time of my life. The life I live now really doesn’t cost very much at all.”

Source link

Two U.S. Army soldiers reported missing in Morocco

Members of the U.S. Army and Tunisian Armed Forces discuss training objectives during explosive ordnance disposal squad tactics exercises in Bizerte, Tunisia, during African Lion 2026. Two soldiers were reported missing on Saturday night in an incident unrelated to the military exercise. Photo by Staff Sgt. Cameron Christensen/U.S. Army

May 3 (UPI) — Two members of the U.S. Army were reported missing during a training event in Morocco on Sunday morning by the United States Africa Command.

The soldiers were participating in the U.S. military’s largest Africa-based exercise, African Lion, when the soldiers went missing on Saturday night during near the Cap Draa Training Area, which is near the city of Tan Tan, Morocco, AFRICOM said in a press release.

Military officials said their disappearance is unrelated to the exercise, but rather than they had gone on a hike near the training range and may have slipped off a cliff into the ocean, The New York Times reported.

“U.S., Moroccan and other assets from African Lion immediately initiated coordinated search and rescue operations, including ground, air and maritime assets,” AFRICOM said in the release.

“The incident remains under investigation and the search is on-going,” the command said.

The soldiers were discovered missing during a base-wide head-count around 9 p.m. local time, with helicopters searching throughout the night and various aircraft — including larger planes and drones — picking up the search on Sunday morning near the coast, CBS News reported.

African Lion is an annual joint military exercise that includes the U.S. military, NATO allies and African partner nations, and is hosted by Morocco, Ghana, Senegal and Tunisia, according to U.S. Army Europe and Africa.

This year’s event, scheduled to run from April 27 to May 8, includes 5,000 people from 40 countries.

President Donald Trump signs a series of executive orders in the Oval Office of the White House on Thursday. Trump signed an order to expand workers’ access to retirement accounts. Trump also signed legislation ending a 75-day partial shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security after the House voted in favor of funding. Photo by Aaron Schwartz/UPI | License Photo

Source link

EasyJet announces major update for passengers starting this year

The budget airline made the announcement saying the move was a ‘milestone’

Passengers travelling on easyJet have been told a major change will improve their choice.

The budget airline has announced it will start offering six new routes to travellers. This includes two connections between the UK and Morocco. This month, easyJet officially opened its new three-aircraft base in Marrakech, Morocco, a development expected to generate approximately 100 new jobs. This coincided with the unveiling of six new routes to Morocco for next winter.

These include Newcastle to Marrakech, launching in November, and Birmingham to Agadir. The additions bring the total number of routes to Morocco to 58, including 30 to Marrakech.

Kenton Jarvis, CEO of easyJet, said: “We couldn’t be happier to launch our base in Morocco for our 20th year of operations in the country and to mark the milestone of 20 million passengers flown over that time.

“This is a milestone for our development in the region, providing more travel opportunities than ever before for our airline and holidays [for] customers, while contributing to the local economy through tourism and the jobs we are creating.”

New winter routes now on sale

  • Prague – Marrakech, will be operated from 25 October, two times a week (Wednesday and Sunday)
  • Newcastle – Marrakech, will be operated from 3 November 2026, two times a week (Tuesday and Saturday)
  • Zurich –Marrakech, will be operated from 28 October 2026, two times a week (Wednesday and Saturday)

READ MORE: easyJet gives key update with ‘uncertainty’ over fuelREAD MORE: Airline files for bankruptcy as flights cancelled – but vital firm may be saved

New winter routes coming on sale later this spring

  • Nantes –Essaouira
  • Bordeaux – Agadir
  • Birmingham – Agadir

READ MORE: I live in a major UK city and most tourists never visit its breathtaking beachREAD MORE: Foreign Office warns tourist spot on islands loved by Brits can be ‘fatal’

New routes launching this summer

  • Hamburg–Marrakech launches 1 May 2026, twice a week (Tuesday and Friday), extended year-round with two flights per week during winter
  • Lille–Marrakech will be operated from 3 May 2026, twice a week (Wednesday and Sunday)
  • Strasbourg–Marrakech will be operated from 3 May 2026, twice a week (Thursday and Sunday)
  • Geneva–Tangier will be operated from 30 March 2026, twice a week (Monday and Thursday)

For more information, visit the easyJet website here.

Source link