Howe

Newcastle United: Eddie Howe steps down as head coach

Eddie Howe has stepped down as head coach of Newcastle United.

The 48-year-old has left after nearly five years in charge, following a disappointing season where the Magpies finished 12th in the Premier League.

Howe had helped the club earn Champions League qualification on two occasions, and win the League Cup in 2024-25.

“After a period of personal reflection, I have decided that now is the right time for me to step away from my role,” said Howe.

Source link

Newcastle: Eddie Howe to leave as manager with immediate effect

Newcastle spent in the region of £240m on new players 12 months ago, but Howe was left frustrated by the departure of striker Alexander Isak to Liverpool.

Howe has lost two key players this summer – Sandro Tonali to Tottenham and Anthony Gordon to Barcelona, while Arsenal are chasing captain Bruno Guimaraes.

Howe replaced Steve Bruce as manager in November 2021, and ended Newcastle‘s 70-year wait for a major domestic trophy by winning the 2025 Carabao Cup.

He led the Magpies to Champions League qualification in 2023 and 2025.

Last season, Newcastle reached the last-16 of the Champions League before losing 8-3 on aggregate to Barcelona.

Their EFL Cup defence ended in the semi-finals, but their league performance was severely underwhelming after finishing fifth in 2024-25.

Newcastle won 84 of their 179 Premier League games under Howe, drawing 38 and losing 57.

He oversaw more Premier League wins than any other Newcastle manager. His Premier League win percentage of 46.9% at the club is bettered only by Kevin Keegan.

Source link

Canada, Michigan to open Gordie Howe International Bridge at end of July

July 10 (UPI) — Canada and the state of Michigan on Friday announced that a long-planned new bridge linking Ontario and Detroit will open at the end of July, 14 years after construction started.

The $4.4 billion Gordie Howe International Bridge between the two cities is set to open on July 27 and is set to offer improved transit on what leaders from Canada and Michigan called one of the busiest transportation corridors in North America.

The mile-and-a-half-long bridge includes new ports of entry on either side, with Canada and the United States establishing a 15-year economic development fund that has been tied to profits from crossing tolls.

President Donald Trump earlier this year threatened to prevent the bridge from opening over disagreements with previously existing trade agreements, his administration’s tariff regime and objections to Canada making trade deals with China.

“The Gordie Howe International Bridge has always been a great deal for our state,” Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said in a statement.

“Thousands of Michigan workers built this critical bridge, which will speed up auto production, lower costs, ease traffic, strengthen agriculture and give people on both sides of the border better-paying jobs and brighter futures,” she said. “This bridge is a testament to the enduring partnership between Michigan and Canada.”

The bridge project originated with the state’s then-Republican Gov. Rick Snyder agreeing to the six-line bridge because it would alleviate congestion accommodate future travel and create new transportation capabilities between U.S. and Canadian manufacturing regions.

Canada’s minister for housing and infrastructure, Gregor Robinson, hailed the completion and impending opening of the bridge as “strengthening one of the world’s most important trade corridors.”

“This nation-building project is a testament to what Canada can accomplish when we come together with a shared vision,” Robinson said in a statement.

“The Gordie Howe International Bridge will create new opportunities, strengthen our economy and bring economic benefits on both sides of the boarder for generations,” he said.

Visitors tour the newly remodeled undercroft beneath the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., on July 10, 2026. Photo by Bonnie Cash/UPI | License Photo

Source link