dump

At least 30 dead after landslide at garbage dump in Guinean capital

Guineans go about their business on the streets of the capital Conakry on Sept. 7, 2021. At least 30 people died in the city on Sunday as the result of a landslide at a garbage dump following heavy rains. File Photo by EPA/STR

Aug. 23 (UPI) — At least 30 people were killed during an overnight landslide at a garbage dump in Conarkry, the capital of Guinea, the government of the West African nation said Sunday.

Six others were seriously injured and 16 more sustained minor injuries in what officials described as a landslide at the Dar-es-Salam landfill in the commune of Gbessia.

The incident happened around 2 a.m. local time on Sunday as heavy overnight rains in the bustling port city and national capital caused several homes to collapse.

Emergency personnel and equipment were mobilized immediately to search for any survivors who might still be buried, rescue victims and recover bodies, the government said.

The Red Cross, armed forces members, medical teams, local authorities and nearby residents were on the scene as Guinean Prime Minister Amadou Oury Bah visited the site to “assess the situation and oversee the mobilization of public services.”

He said all necessary measures are being taken to aid the injured, many of whom were taken to Donka University Hospital in Conakry.

“The government extends its deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims, wishes a speedy recovery to the injured, and expresses its profound gratitude to all those involved in the rescue operations,” the official statement read.

Officials urged the public to “remain calm, show solidarity, and strictly adhere to the instructions of emergency services and competent authorities.”

Source link

Love Island fans celebrate as original couple Lola and Sean ‘dump themselves’ in shock move

Love Island fans have taken to social media with celebratory posts as original couple Lola and Sean chose to self-dump after a public vote and a feud with Julia

Love Island fans have decided shared their shock after Lola and Sean, who have been together since the beginning, dumped themselves from the villa. Fans, who had been pushing for the couple to leave amid a feud with Julia, were excited to see them head out of the villa.

Taking to social media after the couple volunteered to leave, one fan said: “SEAN AND LOLA TAPPING OUT I DID NOT EXPECT THIS #loveisland #loveislanduk.”

“Wait they actually dumped Sean and Lola?? wtf oh my goddddd #loveislanduk,” said another.

Many felt that it was time for the couple to leave with one viewer sharing: “It was honestly their time to leave.” Others were a bit more ecstatic, with another saying: “War is over, Lola and Sean are gone.”

A third said they were “so happy” Lola had left the villa and hoped she would look back at her feud with Julia and how her behaviour, which included telling Julia to “be scared” to talk to her and refusing to join a peace chat amongst the girls, could be seen as “nasty”.

A fourth jokingly said “Pack those bags angel”, referring to the nickname Lola gave everyone. Meanwhile, several mentioned the England World Cup win from Saturday and implied Lola and Sean leaving was on the same level. “What a time to be British,” said one fan.

But some were on Lola and Sean’s side, respecting them for taking the decision to leave. As one fan said: “Fair play to Lola and Sean they weren’t actually playing a game and left. The other couples would NEVER.”

A second said that “no one deserves to be done dirty” the way Lola and Sean had been and that they hoped Lola really had found love, as she thought she had. A third said they respected the couple for leaving when the point was to get to the end as a couple and win the prize money.

The exit comes after a public vote. At the end of Friday’s episode, Julia and Lorenzo were voted the favourite couple. This came after several episodes of strife between Julia and Lola – Casa girl Julia had briefly hit it off with Sean, and when Lola found out she was livid.

Fans slammed Lola for her reaction to Julia, with many saying it was overly harsh and even Sean telling her not to be “petty” when she wanted to say Julia was only in the villa for “air time”.

So when a vote came up for fans to pick their favourite couple, they rallied behind Julia and voted her couple the best. The bottom three were Lola and Sean, Mica and Samraj and Martha and Jordan.

In Sunday’s episode, Julia and Lorenzo were told to pick a couple to send home, but before they could, Lola and Sean stepped forward to volunteer to go home. They said they’d found what they wanted and were happy to head home.

Lorenzo teared up as he agreed to send Lola and Sean home. Sean later said that it would’ve felt “selfish” for him and Lola to stay when they’d been together since the start and were already exclusive.

Like this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs on TikTok , Snapchat , Instagram , Twitter , Facebook , YouTube and Threads .



Source link