Denmark

Greenland rejects Trump’s offer to send US hospital ship to Arctic island | Donald Trump News

US President Donald Trump writes on Truth Social that a ‘great hospital boat’ is going to Greenland as he mocks its healthcare system.

Greenland said “no thanks” to US President Donald Trump’s plan to send a hospital ship to the Arctic island after he repeatedly threatened to seize the Danish autonomous territory for “national security” reasons.

Prime Minister Jens-Frederik Nielsen said in a post on Facebook on Sunday that Trump’s proposal to send the US medical vessel had been “noted”.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

“But we have a public healthcare system where treatment is free for citizens. It is a deliberate choice,” Nielsen said, reiterating Greenland remained open to dialogue and cooperation.

“But talk to us instead of just making more or less random outbursts on social media,” he added.

The historically strong bilateral ties after World War II between NATO allies Denmark and the United States have come under severe strain in recent months as Trump ratcheted up talk of a possible US takeover of the mineral-rich and strategically located Arctic island.

Danish Defence Minister Troels Lund Poulsen told Danish broadcaster DR that the population of Greenland “receives the healthcare it needs”.

“They receive it either in Greenland or, if they require specialised treatment, they receive it in Denmark,” he said. “It’s not as if there’s a need for a special healthcare initiative in Greenland.”

On Saturday, Trump said in a post on his Truth Social account – with an AI-generated image of the US Navy vessel the USNS Mercy – that it was on its way to Greenland to treat those being medically neglected.

“We are going to send a great hospital boat to Greenland to take care of the many people who are sick, and not being taken care of there. It’s on the way!!!” Trump wrote.

Trump has repeatedly expressed his interest in the US taking control of Greenland, citing it as a way to secure US national security. However, Greenland and Europe rejected the US desire to take the Arctic island and have upheld Greenlandic sovereignty.

Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said she was “happy to live in a country where access to healthcare is free and equal for all”.

Greenland is a place “where insurance or wealth does not determine whether one receives dignified treatment,” she added in an apparent criticism of the US healthcare system, which is not universal.

Threats to take Greenland ebbed after Trump struck a “framework” deal with NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte in January to ensure greater US influence.

Source link

Danish PM says more Greenland talks due after meeting US’s Marco Rubio | Donald Trump News

New opinion poll finds seven in 10 US adults disapprove of President Donald Trump’s handling of Greenland issue.

Denmark’s prime minister and Greenland’s premier met ⁠with United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio and agreed that talks would be pursued on the running of Greenland, the semi-autonomous Danish territory that President Donald Trump has threatened to take over.

Rubio held a 15-minute meeting with Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen and Greenland’s Premier Jens-Frederik Nielsen on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference on Friday.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

Greenland’s leader Nielsen said in a post on social media that during the meeting with Rubio, “it was emphasised that the conversations being made are the right way forward and the interests of Greenland were once again clearly highlighted”.

Prime Minister Frederiksen said on X after the meeting: “Constructive talk with Secretary of State Marco Rubio together with Jens-Frederik Nielsen, Chairman of Naalakkersuisut, at the Munich Security Conference.”

“Work will continue as agreed in the high-level working group,” she said.

The meeting between the Danish and Greenlandic leaders and the US state secretary comes amid severely strained ties between Europe and Washington, and NATO allies, amid President Trump’s repeated threats to take over Greenland and criticism of European nations as “decaying” and “weak”.

Speaking to reporters on Friday, Trump said, “We’re negotiating ‌right ‌now for Greenland.”

“I ‌think Greenland’s going to want us, but we get along very well with Europe. We’ll see how it all works out,” he said.

After months of bellicose language regarding the US’s necessity to acquire Greenland, Trump abruptly stepped back from his threats last month, saying that he had reached an understanding with NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte that would give the US greater influence in the mineral-rich Arctic territory.

Late last month, the US, Denmark and Greenland also launched talks to find a diplomatic path out of the crisis.

Poll finds most US adults disapprove of Trump’s Greenland plan

The US administration has cited key national security concerns related to Russia and China to justify its demand to take control over Greenland and has accused Denmark, and Europe more broadly, of being unable to defend the strategic territory.

But, according to a new opinion poll conducted by The Associated Press and NORC Center for Public Affairs Research, Trump’s push to seize control of Greenland has gone down badly with the US public and members of his own party.

The survey, conducted between February 5-8, found that about seven in 10 US adults disapprove of how Trump is handling the Greenland issue – a higher disapproval rating than the share of those who dislike how he is handling foreign policy generally.

Even among Republican supporters, about half disapprove of his attempt to turn Greenland into US territory, according to the poll.

Sweden said on Thursday that it would send fighter jets to patrol Greenland as part of a newly launched NATO mission in the Arctic aimed at placating Trump’s concerns over the threats posed by Moscow and Beijing.

The government said in a statement that Swedish-made Gripen fighter jets would patrol Greenland as part of the newly-launched NATO mission, Arctic Sentry.

“As a NATO ally, Sweden has a responsibility to contribute to the security of the entire territory of the Alliance. The Arctic region is becoming increasingly important from a strategic perspective,” Sweden’s Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said.

In a separate statement, the Swedish Armed Forces said the fighter jets would be based out of Iceland, where six aircraft have been stationed since early February as part of the rotating incident response force, NATO Air Policing.

Swedish special forces would also be sent to Greenland to take part in training exercises for a couple of weeks, the military said.

Source link

11-mile underwater tunnel will be world’s longest connecting 2 European countries

The Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link is expected to be the world’s longest immersed tunnel and rail link by 2029

The Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link, an underwater tunnel poised to link the Danish island of Lolland with Germany’s Fehmarn island, represents a remarkable feat of engineering. This remarkable tunnel beneath the Baltic Sea, set to become one of the planet’s longest submerged structures, is due for completion by 2029.

Spanning more than 18 kilometres (11 miles), the Fehmarnbelt tunnel will dramatically reduce journey times between Scandinavia and mainland Europe. Danish planning firm Femern has described the tunnel as “Denmark’s largest infrastructure project and the world’s longest immersed tunnel and rail link”.

The scheme carries a substantial estimated price tag of DKK 55.1billion (£6.4billion), with the European Union providing roughly 1.3billion euros (£1.1billion) in funding.

Femern has stressed that an immersed tunnel represents a “safe, tested and efficient way of building an underwater tunnel”, reports the Express.

“The technology is Danish-developed and builds on experiences from, among others, the Øresund Tunnel. Once completed, the tunnel will not pose any obstacle to vessel traffic in the Fehmarnbelt. Marine safety is also a top priority during the construction phase.”

“The Fehmarnbelt tunnel will be just as safe as a corresponding section of motorway above ground. The tunnel is equipped with continuous hard shoulders and emergency exits along its entire length.”

The Institution of Civil Engineers highlighted the Fehmarnbelt Tunnel’s unique positioning atop the seabed, dubbing it “a remarkable engineering feat”.

“Weighing in at 73,500 tonnes apiece, these colossal structures are a testament to modern engineering,” they explained.

“Once a tunnel element is ready to be shipped, waterproof bulkheads (barriers) are installed at both ends, and the segment is carefully towed into position by tugboats.”

“In total, 89 elements will be connected sequentially – much like assembling giant Lego pieces – to form the complete tunnel.”

Source link

Novo Nordisk stock sinks by 17% after bleak 2026 forecast

Published on

Novo Nordisk shares fell sharply on Wednesday after the company warned that sales and profits will drop in 2026.

The Danish drugmaker’s stock slid about 17% in early trading in Copenhagen, erasing gains made earlier in the year. The fall followed an unexpected pre-release of the company’s outlook for 2026.

Sales and operating profit are both expected to decline by between 5% and 13% this year, far below what analysts had anticipated.

The company had already cut its 2025 guidance in July, citing a difficult US market, triggering a one-day share price drop of more than 20%.

Pressure in the US

Novo Nordisk says it is reducing prices to make its GLP-1 drugs more affordable, even though the move is likely to hurt short-term performance.

The company faces growing competition in the United States from cheaper compounded versions of semaglutide — the active ingredient in Wegovy and diabetes drug Ozempic — as well as from rival Eli Lilly.

There have been some brighter signs. The new oral version of Wegovy has seen strong early demand in the US.

Novo Nordisk endured its worst year on record in 2025, with shares falling nearly 50%.

The company also underwent major leadership changes, appointing its first non-Danish chief executive and bringing former CEO Lars Rebien Sørensen back as chair.

At the same time, it struck a deal with US President Donald Trump for a programme tied to TrumpRx and direct-to-consumer discounts.

The starting price for the new Wegovy pill has been set at $149 (€126), far below the price of the injectable version a year earlier.

Patent expiries in several markets outside the United States are also expected to weigh on sales in 2026.

Meanwhile, the head of Novo’s US business, David Moore, who oversaw the launch of the pill, is leaving the company for personal reasons. He will be replaced by Jamie Miller, formerly of UnitedHealth.

Source link

Malou Marcetto: London City Lionesses sign Denmark midfielder

London City Lionesses have signed Denmark midfielder Malou Marcetto on a two-and-a-half year deal from Madrid CFF.

The 22-year-old has represented her country at youth level, including 10 appearances for the under-23s, and has been a target for the Women’s Super League side for a while.

“The facilities are great and the people I’ve met have made me feel really welcome,” said Marcetto.

“England [is] the biggest football country, in my opinion. Women’s football is growing here and it’s going to be a very competitive league to play in.

“I’m really excited to be here and get started. In terms of my playing style, as a midfielder, I like to be creative and also work hard.”

It is believed London City originally hoped to bring her in when her contract expired in the summer, but have been able to finalise a deal in this window for a small fee.

The club, which is currently sixth in the WSL standings, believes Marcetto brings high potential to the squad and provides added first-team competition.

Source link