3day

Trump announces 3-day pause on Canada tariffs as deadline neared

Aug. 18 (UPI) — President Donald Trump late Tuesday announced a three-day pause on imposing 50% tariffs on Canada less than two hours before they were to go into effect, saying a trade deal has been made.

The tariffs were to go into effect at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, but were delayed by Trump’s announcement on social media issued about 90 minutes before the deadline.

No specifics on what the deal entailed were offered, though Trump said the controversial Keystone XL Pipeline project, revoked by former President Joe Biden over climate change concerns, “may be awoke from the grave!”

The deal remains to be finalized, he said.

While congratulating Trump, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer added that the deal includes “comprehensive access for all American goods,” economic security commitments, digital trade alignment and other provisions protecting the U.S. market.

Prime Minister Mark Carney of Canada has yet to comment.

Greer had been leading negotiations with Canadian representatives ahead of the deadline. He said last week that the negotiators were reviewing options and that he expects Canada to drop certain measures it had already taken in response to the U.S. tariffs, The New York Times reported.

“If a country retaliates against us, we’re obviously not going to tolerate that,” Greer told reporters Friday. “We’ll take action. My sense is the Canadians want to have a more conciliatory approach, but we’ll see.”

Trump signed orders in July to impose 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian goods, including cement and hockey sticks, representing about 2% of the entire trade between the United States and Canada, starting Wednesday.

“President Trump is taking action to hold Canada accountable for its continued discrimination against and unreasonable and unequal treatment of U.S. commerce that has burdened and disadvantaged hard-working Americans,” the White House said in a statement at the time.

On Aug. 5, he called Canada “nasty” in a Las Vegas speech.

“Canada’s nasty. They are. They’re nasty,” Trump said. “I love the people, but they’re nasty. Nasty leadership.”

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and Trump spoke on the phone Monday, a Carney spokeswoman said. She didn’t give any details.

Canadian negotiators also want to ease the tariffs already imposed on Ottawa industries. There are tariffs of up to 50% on steel, aluminum and autos. Some tariffs also affect Canadian softwood lumber.

Canadian lumber manufacturing CEO John Brink told CTV that tariffs have devastated the lumber industry. He said, “most of the lumber industry in Canada is paying up to 45.16% in tariffs and duties combined. So the effect has been devastating.”

Brink said about half of British Columbia’s lumber manufacturing capacity has shut down.

“There used to be 800 secondary manufacturers in British Columbia alone. We are now down to about 50. Not all due to tariffs and duties, but due to a combination of [factors],” Brink added.

“I think the big question for the United States is: Are they even interested in securing an agreement, a deal, some kind of operational détente, or is Trump’s real objective just to flex? Is it just to demonstrate he’s in control? In which case, we’re chasing a phantom deal,” CTV News political commentator Scott Reid said.

He added that the deadline will be “the most important, most significant and most treacherous of Mark Carney’s political career.”

Greer has said he expects Canada to make concessions if a deal goes through. But not everyone in the Great White North wants that.

“Canadians elected Mark Carney to both stand up to Trump while also trying to negotiate a deal, or negotiate down the tariffs, and I don’t think those are mutually exclusive, but it is a narrow path for sure,” said Brian Clow, a former senior official in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau‘s government, The Times reported.

If no deal is made, expect the trade war to escalate, Clow said.

“If the U.S. decides to proceed with imposing these new tariffs tomorrow, Canada, although this current government has eased back on retaliation, will have to respond in some way,” he said.

Former senior White House trade adviser Kelly Ann Shaw told CTV that negotiations look “promising” for Canada.

“I’ve been involved in a number of international trade negotiations and other negotiations throughout my career, and the hardest issues always get resolved at the very last moment,” Shaw told CTV Tuesday.

“So I don’t expect any sort of announcement until later today, possibly as late as midnight,” Shaw said. “But the fact the two parties are still at the table, I take as a good sign.”

Trump has long used tariffs as a mechanism for both punishment and negotiation, and during his second term, he attempted to impose sweeping tariffs, including against Canada, but they were thrown out by the U.S. Supreme Court in February.

The tariffs paused late Tuesday were to join the 10% import duty on many Canadian goods, as well as previously imposed tariffs ranging from 10% to 50% on products, such as steel, aluminum, copper, automobiles and softwood lumber.

Canada responded by imposing a temporary 25% tariff on certain wood cabinets and vanities, as well as a 25% tariff on U.S. vehicles, as well as selected steel and aluminum products, among others.

President Donald Trump hosts lifeguard Ryder Williams in the Oval Office of the White House on Monday. Photo by Samuel Corum/UPI | License Photo

Source link

Inside Dua Lipa & Callum Turner’s lavish 3-day Italian ‘fairytale’ wedding with talk of VERY famous performer 

THEY are already two of the most in-demand Brits in ­entertainment – her selling out stadiums globally and him a front-runner to be the next James Bond.

But one week today, superstar Dua Lipa and her movie star fiancé ­Callum Turner will say “I do” at a lavish ceremony in Sicily, cementing themselves as our most high-profile power ­couple since Posh and Becks.

Dua Lipa and Callum Turner will tie the knot in a week at a lavish Italian ceremony Credit: Getty
The couple’s original plan was for an ­intimate wedding, but it is now going to be a ­massive, luxurious affair, revealed our insider Credit: instagram

The Sun can reveal that showbiz pals including singers Charli XCX and Tove Lo are on the guestlist, with friends and family due to fly out on Thursday for three days of celebrations.

There are even whispers that Sir Elton John, who Dua collaborated with on the 2021 song Cold Heart, could perform.

An insider said: “Dua and Callum are both ecstatic that they’re finally getting married. They’re head over heels for each other.

“The original plan was for an ­intimate wedding, but it is now going to be a ­massive, luxurious affair across three days.

“She attended Charli’s wedding in Sicily last year and was really inspired to push the boat out for her own Italian celebrations.

“They have rented out multiple huge venues for the multi-event extravaganza, although the exact details are being kept under wraps due to security concerns, as fans are desperate to catch a glimpse of them.

“The couple have been doing daily workouts at stylish members’ club 180 House in London to prepare for their big day and Dua has been ­telling friends she cannot wait to walk down the aisle.

“It’s going to be a true fairytale ­wedding.”

Dua and Callum, pictured at Glastonbury in 2024, have rented out multiple huge venues for the multi-event extravaganza Credit: Getty
The couple will be saying ‘I do’ in Sicily, Italy Credit: Getty

As well as proving their love for each other, the ceremony will strengthen their position as showbiz A-listers, with the pair expected to bank hundreds of millions between them in the next two years.

Callum will be back on screens this summer in the rom-com One Night Only, but James Bond is the starring role he has his eye on, with the bookies ranking him as favourite to land the part.

There have been ­whispers they could both be involved in 007’s next outing, with Dua said to be in consideration to record the Bond theme, something she has said she has wanted to do for years.

While Callum has been building his acting career, his wife-to-be has been working on her business empire.

As well as making her highly-­anticipated fourth studio album with top producer Mark Ronson — who has been invited to the wedding — she is in the midst of launching her Dua By AB skincare line, which is forecast to become a major money-spinner.

She has also just become a global brand ambassador for Nespresso alongside George Clooney and is expanding her ­editorial and cultural platform ­Service95.

And just this week, she announced a new partnership with Google Maps to share her top travel tips.

Holiday-loving Dua knows all about those, having been on a string of getaways including, in the past month, a visit to Copenhagen with Callum and a holiday to Ibiza with more than 20 pals for her hen do.

Charli XCX, who also got married in Sicily last year, is on the guestlist Credit: Getty
Swedish pop star Tove Lo will also be attending the nuptials Credit: Getty

Among the friends who joined her was fashion designer Simon Porte Jacquemus, the man behind the label Jacquemus, who is believed to have created at least one of the dresses she will wear for her wedding ­celebrations.

Dua previously wore a sheer white dress designed by him when she attended his wedding to partner Marco Maestri in 2022.

The Sun first revealed Callum had popped the question to New Rules singer Dua in December 2024 after just a year of dating, and she ­confirmed the news in an interview with British Vogue last June.

Dua, who completed her 81-date, £100million-grossing Radical Optimism Tour in December, said at the time: “I want to finish my tour — Callum’s shooting, so we’re just ­enjoying this period.

“I’ve never been someone who’s really thought about a wedding, or dreamt about what kind of bride I would be. All of a sudden I’m like, ‘Oh, what would I wear?’.

“This decision to grow old together, to see a life and just be best friends forever — it’s a really special feeling.”

The singer also revealed Callum had her engagement ring made ­especially for her, after discussing it with her sister Rina, who is expected to be a bridesmaid along with her best friends.

Dua said: “It’s very exciting. I’m obsessed with it. It’s so me. It’s nice to know the person that you’re going to spend the rest of your life with knows you very well.”

There are even whispers that Sir Elton John, who Dua collaborated with on the 2021 song Cold Heart, could perform. Credit: Getty
The Sun first revealed Callum had popped the question to New Rules singer Dua in December 2024 Credit: Instagram

But while their white ­wedding is shaping up to be one of the most spectacular in recent showbiz ­memory, they have some competition.

This summer will see a slew of celebrity services, with superstar ­Taylor Swift set to tie the knot with American football star Travis Kelce a month later on July 3.

That wedding is already one of the most talked-about events of the year, with the nuptials of America’s favourite couple potentially even competing with the 250th anniversary Independence Day celebrations the following day.

Selena Gomez, Gigi Hadid and Cara Delevingne are among the many stars who have been invited to the wedding, which is set to take place at a highly secure venue in New York City.

Security is so tight for the big day that guests have been warned they will not be informed of the exact location until hours before the ceremony.

But as the hottest ticket in town, some guests have this week fumed about their “no ring, no bring” policy, after one ­person claimed they had been invited, but told they could not bring a “plus one”.

The anonymous guest told one newspaper: “What am I supposed to do? Go alone? That is so awkward.”

Taylor and Travis started dating in 2023, shortly after the end of Taylor’s whirlwind month-long romance with The 1975 rocker Matty Healy, who she is now racing to beat up the aisle.

Designer Simon Porte Jacquemus, the man behind the label Jacquemus, is believed to wearing one of the dresses Dua will be wearing Credit: Getty
While Callum has been building his acting career, his wife-to-be has been working on her business empire Credit: Instagram

He is also engaged after finding love with model and musician Gabbriette Bechtel, and they are set to tie the knot in July, too.

Unlike Taylor, they have opted to do so on the other side of the country in ­California, where his bride is from. The couple have already spent more than £100,000 on flights for their friends and family to travel over from the UK.

Charli XCX has also been invited to their wedding after marrying Matty’s bandmate, drummer George Daniel.

And Matty’s mum, Loose Women star Denise Welch, has revealed she is relieved it is Gabbriette and not Taylor her son is marrying.

Last July, she said: “Obviously, on pain of death can I talk about that episode, but being her mother-in-law is a role I am glad that I lost.

“Not that I have anything against her at all. It was just — it was tricky.

“She . . . listen, you’re not allowed to say anything, and then she writes a whole album about it.

“Matty has taken it all in ­completely good grace. He’s very happy with his amazing fiancée Gabbriette, who is ­gorgeous. So, we’ve moved on.”

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce will also be tying the knot this summer Credit: Getty
Matty Healy’s mum Denise Welch revealed she is relieved it is Gabbriette and not Taylor her son is marrying

They aren’t the only exes who could both be saying “I do” this year.

Miley Cyrus got engaged to her musician boyfriend Maxx Morando at the end of last year and is believed to be planning an intimate wedding.

Meanwhile, actor Liam Hemsworth, who split from Miley in 2019 after less than a year of ­marriage, got down on one knee for his model partner Gabriella Brooks last September.

So while wedding bells will be ringing out at ridiculously opulent and over-the-top ceremonies this summer, you can bet their showbiz exes will be keeping an eye on whose was better.

Source link