Unravel

Shohei Ohtani homers before Dodgers unravel in loss to Red Sox

The Dodgers patched two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani’s absence from the starting rotation with a pseudo-bullpen day on Friday. In a 9-4 loss to the Red Sox, Ohtani did his part with his bat, but the Dodgers’ pitching wavered.

“You just can’t chase every single win, every single night,” manager Dave Roberts said. “It’s not responsible. It’s just not the right process.”

Back in the Dodgers’ lineup after a day off to address lingering soreness in his left knee, Ohtani had the Dodgers’ first hit, an opposite-field double into the gap off Red Sox left-hander Ranger Suarez in the fourth inning.

That same inning, Ohtani scored the Dodgers’ first run, crossing the plate on a single from Freddie Freeman — who extended his hitting streak to 10 games, the longest by a Dodger this season.

The next inning, Ohtani kept the Dodgers’ rally going after the Red Sox (58-51) pulled Suarez. Facing left-handed Jovani Morán, Ohtani turned on a changeup and sent it into the right-field stands for a two-run homer.

The Dodgers (69-41) used just four pitchers, thanks to left-hander Cole Irvin, who the Dodgers called up on Friday to provide bulk.

After opener Edgardo Henriquez threw a scoreless inning, Will Klein’s struggles continued. Adding to his three-week skid, during which Klein’s been fighting bad mechanics, he gave up three hits, made an errant pickoff attempt, issued a walk and hit Willson Contreras in the helmet. He was charged with three runs (one earned) over 1⅓ innings.

Irvin replaced Klein. What began as a largely efficient outing fell apart in the seventh, when Irvin gave up five runs over 10 batters. He gave up eight hits and six runs over six innings. The effort at least kept the rest of the bullpen fresh.

“Orange County kid that gets to play for one of his hometown teams is pretty special, and I’m pretty thankful for that, and happy and blessed,” said Irvin, a product of Servite High School in Anaheim. “It sucks to lose, but there’s a part of me that’s proud that I get to wear Dodger blue.”

This time of year, bullpen depth is top of mind for teams across MLB, with the trade deadline on Monday approaching.

The Dodgers jump on opportunities throughout the year to add relievers. But Andrew Friedman, the Dodgers’ president of baseball operations, noted earlier this week that the team worked over the offseason to prevent them from having an “acute need” at the trade deadline. That includes their relief corps.

“When you have an acute need, it’s really challenging, because you’re paying 150 cents, 200 cents on the dollar,” Friedman said. “So we try to do everything we can to avoid not having to do something. But when you’re able to be in a position to be a little bit more selective and opportunistic about what potentially is available, it just puts you in a better position. So as much flexibility as we can have, the better.”

Díaz’s velocity is back

Dodgers closer Edwin Díaz pitches against the Seattle Mariners on Thursday.

Dodgers closer Edwin Díaz pitches against the Seattle Mariners on Thursday.

(Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

Dodgers closer Edwin Díaz wasn’t perfect in his first two games back from the injured list. But after undergoing surgery to remove five loose bodies from his elbow, and a three-month process to return to a major-league mound, he wasn’t expected to be.

“My first game back, I was a little bit anxious,” Díaz said after giving up two hits and a run to the Mariners en route to recording the save on Wednesday. “But I threw strikes, I made pitches, and at the end of the day I got the W. Tomorrow, we’ll see the video to see what they were [seeing] on the fastball and make an adjustment and try the next time to make some pitches to make them chase.”

The biggest positive was his fastball velocity. Díaz’s velocity was down to begin the year, dipping to about 95.5 mph in his last two outings before landing on the injured list.

On Wednesday, his fastball averaged 96.9 mph and he touched 98.9 mph, according to Statcast.

“I thought the second day was better than the first, and it’s great to have him back,” Roberts said.

Díaz limited the Mariners to one hit in one scoreless inning Thursday and tallied two strikeouts.

After pitching back-to-back days, Díaz will be unavailable through Saturday, Roberts said.

Stewart injured

Dodgers pitcher Brock Stewart delivers against the Arizona Diamondbacks on July 12.

Dodgers pitcher Brock Stewart delivers against the Arizona Diamondbacks on July 12.

(Ronaldo Bolanos / Los Angeles Times)

The Dodgers put Brock Stewart (2.45 ERA) on the 15-day IL with right shoulder discomfort as the corresponding active roster move for Irvin — a hit to the Dodgers’ right-handed, high-leverage depth. They also designated right-hander Chayce McDermott for assignment to clear room on the 40-man roster.

“Should be short term,” Roberts said of Stewart’s IL stay. “He’s done a great job when he’s been active on really pitching well. So we’ve got to make sure, with the calendar on our side, we’ve got to protect him and take a couple weeks and then get him back. This is something that we are being proactive on and really try to talk through it with Brock and understanding our thought behind it, with the bullpen day just the coverage and not trying to put him or anyone else in harm’s way.”

This is Stewart’s third stint on the IL this season. He began the year recovering from the right shoulder surgery that ended his 2025 season. Then days after being activated in early May, he landed on the IL again, after aggravating a bone spur in his left foot. He returned again in late June.

“This is just more of a formality,” Roberts said. “I really believe, the training staff believes that it’s going to be short term.”

Not rushing Snell

The Dodgers had been considering bringing back Blake Snell (loose body elbow surgery) from his rehab assignment early to bridge the gap with Ohtani shut down from pitching.

They instead have decided to have Snell make another rehab start next week, when he’ll target five innings.

By utilizing a bullpen game Friday, the Dodgers built in a full week of rest for Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Emmet Sheehan, who are scheduled to start the next two games against the Red Sox. And they avoided pitching Justin Wrobleski on regular rest.

Source link

Airbus Looks To Sweden’s Saab As Europe’s Sixth-Gen Fighter Plans Unravel

With the pan-European Future Combat Air System (FCAS), which is supposed to include a crewed New Generation Fighter (NGF) aircraft, mired in difficulty, Airbus has raised the possibility of teaming with Saab on the manned tactical component of it — the fighter. As well as France and Germany, Spain is a part of the pan-European FCAS as a junior partner, while Belgium has also joined it. The recent statements mark one of the clearest indications yet that Airbus is actively exploring post-FCAS alternatives, or, at the least, a major overhaul of the program’s structure.

Speaking on the sidelines of the Airbus Defense Summit at Airbus Defense & Space’s Manching site near Munich last week, that company’s CEO, Michael Schoellhorn, said that he was keen to cooperate with Sweden and Saab on a new fighter.

Concept artwork of the NGF future fighter. Dassault Aviation

Schoellhorn’s words were provided in an exclusive interview by Johan Wendel, a reporter and analyst for the Swedish Dagens Industri financial newspaper.

At this point, it’s worth recalling that the FCAS nomenclature is also used by the British and Swedish future combat air initiatives. The British effort is now mainly known as the Global Combat Air Program (GCAP).

FCAS System of Systems thumbnail

FCAS System of Systems




Noting that FCAS was in trouble in its current guise, he confirmed that Airbus has been in contact with both the Swedish and German governments on the issue, with “productive but confidential” discussions.

“We are open to a number of things. For Airbus, the crewed fighter aircraft is still an open question,” Schoellhorn told Dagens Industri, when asked if the company is considering developing a crewed fighter together with Saab.

The Airbus boss then reiterated that the company “will be involved in the development of a sixth-generation fighter aircraft.”

Schoellhorn recently visited Sweden and reflected that “Sweden and Saab are candidates with extensive expertise” in the field of fighter design and production. “We have difficulties that everyone knows about. That is why it is time to actively explore other options, which is what we are now doing,” he added, in reference to the FCAS program.

BRUSSELS, BELGIUM - MARCH 13: Michael Schoellhorn, CEO of Airbus Defence and Space, speak during a keynote conference at the inaugural edition of the Brussels European Defence Exhibition & Conference (BEDEX) on March 13, 2026 in Brussels, Belgium. The new BEDEX event has been created in partnership with the Belgian Ministry of Defence and Armed Forces to showcase the European and NATO defence industries, as Belgium and other European countries increase defence spending in response to the current geopolitical climate. (Photo by Omar Havana/Getty Images)
Michael Schoellhorn, CEO of Airbus Defense and Space. Photo by Omar Havana/Getty Images

As TWZ only recently reported, questions around FCAS continue to grow.

For a long time, tensions have been evident within the FCAS program, with its two main partners, France and Germany, increasingly at odds. German defense officials are reportedly frustrated by what they see as disproportionate French demands for control and workshare in the project. For a while now, there have been reports that Germany is exploring alternative paths, including the possibility of separating itself from France within the program entirely.

Within France, Dassault CEO Éric Trappier recently declared the FCAS project dead if Airbus refuses to cooperate, while President Emmanuel Macron has made efforts to resuscitate the program.

French group Dassault Aviation Chief Executive Eric Trappier poses in front of the full-scale model of the Systeme de Combat Aerien Futur (SCAF), the Future Combat Air System (FCAS) on the Dassault Aviation's static display during the International Paris Air Show on June 18, 2019 at Le Bourget Airport, near Paris. (Photo by ERIC PIERMONT / AFP) (Photo by ERIC PIERMONT/AFP via Getty Images)
French group Dassault Aviation Chief Executive Eric Trappier poses in front of the full-scale model of the NGF. Photo by ERIC PIERMONT/AFP via Getty Images

Now, Sweden, with its position as a builder of tactical aircraft in the West, has emerged as a possible lifeline for FCAS, something that Schoellhorn acknowledged to Dagens Industri.

“We will be involved in the development of such an aircraft. The structure within FCAS could be improved. That could lead to two fighter aircraft within FCAS, or to another form of cooperation, and Sweden and Saab are candidates with extensive expertise in this field.”

When asked whether this was an Airbus tactic to put pressure on Dassault, Schöllhorn pointed to “many” previous cooperations between his company and Saab.

“We are not flirting,” he added. “We want to build sixth-generation fighter aircraft as soon as possible. I do not want to see sixth-generation fighter aircraft bought from the United States, as Europe did with the fifth generation.”

Here, he pointed to the growing customer base for the U.S.-made F-35 in Europe and the prospect that, in the future, the sixth-generation F-47 might also be offered for export in the region, although this might only be in a watered-down form.

Shown is a graphical artist rendering of the Next Generation Air Dominance (NGAD) Platform. The rendering highlights the Air Force’s sixth generation fighter, the F-47. The NGAD Platform will bring lethal, next-generation technologies to ensure air superiority for the Joint Force in any conflict. (U.S. Air Force graphic)
A rendering of the U.S. Air Force’s sixth-generation fighter, the F-47. U.S. Air Force graphic Secretary of the Air Force Publi

Of course, GCAP, the British-led rival to FCAS, with the Tempest crewed fighter as its centerpiece, could be another option, but there are big questions surrounding the future of that program, too. As well as the United Kingdom, GCAP involves Italy and Japan.

An artist’s impression of the Tempest future fighter. BAE Systems

“We must act now,” Schöllhorn said, to prevent Europe from looking beyond the pan-European FCAS for its next crewed fighter.

“If we are to have something that can be called sixth generation and that is airborne before the 2040s, we have to act now. We are waiting impatiently to see what the politicians will decide. If we are still in limbo at the end of the year, that would be very challenging,” Schöllhorn added.

As for GCAP, in which Sweden previously had a limited involvement, before stepping away from it, Schöllhorn also refused to rule out rolling the different projects together.

“GCAP is an existing alternative that could be considered,” he explained. “The defense industry submits proposals; the politicians decide what is to be done.”

Then there is the drone issue, or, more accurately, the Collaborative Combat Aircraft, or CCA, issue.

While cooperative projects to develop fighters and their surrounding ecosystems have floundered, CCAs, as a concept, have forged ahead.

The Air Force’s Experimental Operations Unit, under Air Combat Command, concluded a critical exercise with Collaborative Combat Aircraft recently at Edwards Air Force Base, California, putting principles of the new Warfighting Acquisition System into practice. The exercise employed the YFQ-44A aircraft and represents a shift toward the new concept of earlier, operator-driven experimentation to inform tactics and procedures that will accelerate the delivery of this transformative capability to the warfighter.
The Anduril YFQ-44A is one of the first two aircraft ordered under the U.S. Air Force’s Collaborative Combat Aircraft program. U.S. Air Force U.S. Air Force photo by Ariana Ortega

“Everyone has seen the need for CCA. There is a European race underway to find the model for CCA in various European countries,” said Schöllhorn.

The Airbus CEO underlined the fact that the company is also developing combat drones and that future uncrewed fighters are part of the plan. “There will not be a one-size-fits-all solution,” Schöllhorn added. “Perhaps we should not all go into the same niche, such as air-to-ground. The goal is to deliver the versatility, but also the scale that Europe will need.”

Airbus and Kratos are already pitching the stealthy XQ-58A Valkyrie drone to Germany, and Airbus has also been working on a stealthy CCA-like concept of its own, known as Wingman. Meanwhile, Boeing Australia has teamed up with Rheinmetall, the largest arms manufacturer in Germany, to offer the MQ-28 Ghost Bat drone to the German military.

A rendering of the Airbus Wingman CCA-like drone. Airbus

Once again, Sweden could provide a key partner to Airbus on CCA-type developments, whether part of a broader FCAS effort or separate.

As we have reported in the past, Sweden is also moving ahead with plans for a new-generation combat aircraft, with Saab undertaking continued conceptual studies for future fighter systems. However, it remains unclear if there will definitely be a crewed successor to the Swedish Air Force’s current Gripen fighter, or if the ongoing studies will lead to a combat air ‘ecosystem’ comprised of different types of drones. A combination of crewed and uncrewed platforms remains possible, too.

A Saab study for a supersonic uncrewed platform with a weight of more than five tons, as part of its F-series. SVT screencap via X

Interestingly, Schöllhorn also put forward the possibility of Airbus working alongside Sweden for the airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) segment, specifically Saab’s GlobalEye aircraft.

“If we were to join forces, we could be a very capable team that could contribute many future capabilities,” said Schöllhorn of this idea.

The CEO noted that a NATO procurement decision on its future AEW&C platform is currently under review. Meanwhile, France has chosen the GlobalEye to replace its E-3F Sentry Airborne Warning & Control System (AWACS) fleet.

Only today, Canada announced plans to buy GlobalEye, ​rather than the competing Boeing E-7 Wedgetail, which has suffered from delays and cost overruns.

Saab currently installs the GlobalEye system on the Canadian-made Bombardier Global 6500 airframe, but Schöllhorn does not rule out the possibility of a new AEW&C aircraft based on an Airbus airframe. Here, the Airbus boss pointed to the ongoing program to furnish the Indian Air Force with AEW&C aircraft based on A320 airliner airframes.

Returning to the issue of a sixth-generation crewed fighter for Europe, whether Airbus and Saab ultimately forge a formal partnership, the broader situation is abundantly clear. With the pan-European FCAS stalled by political and industrial infighting, GCAP facing its own uncertainties, Europe’s future fighter landscape is at something of a crossroads. The pressure to deliver a credible European sixth-generation combat aircraft is intensifying.

Contact the author: thomas@thewarzone.com

Thomas is a defense writer and editor with over 20 years of experience covering military aerospace topics and conflicts. He’s written a number of books, edited many more, and has contributed to many of the world’s leading aviation publications. Before joining The War Zone in 2020, he was the editor of AirForces Monthly.


Source link