The Great British Bake Off

Bake Off host lets slip Nigella Lawson and Paul Hollywood ‘chemistry’ as filming begins

The Great British Bake Off host Alison Hammond appeared on ITV’s Lorraine on Monday

A Great British Bake Off star has opened up about Nigella Lawson’s chemistry with Paul Hollywood.

Nigella has taken over from Prue Leith as the latest judge, where she will join Paul, Alison Hammond and Noel Fielding in the tent for the upcoming season that’s set to air later this year.

Alison appeared on ITV’s Lorraine on Monday (May 4), where she spoke to Lorraine Kelly about the new series, which has begun filming.

Lorraine said: “There’s a new judge. How’s that all going? Have you met up?”

Alison replied: “She’s so lovely. Nigella is incredible. Obviously we’ve started, so I’ve been watching.”

She added: “I’m telling you, the chemistry between her and Paul is unbelievable,” before clarifying: “Not in that sort of way!”

A picture of Paul and Nigella was then shown on screen, with Alison saying: “Don’t they look good looking?”

Lorraine jokingly added: “Do you know what, that looks like a crime scene, doesn’t it?!”

Alison continued: “But honestly, they’re so good together! I’ll be honest with you, they don’t always agree – it’s so good,” with Lorraine concluding: “No, that’s fine, and that works.”

Prue Leith announced her exit from the hit competition back in January after nine years. The 85-year-old restaurateur and broadcaster first joined the series in 2017 when it moved from the BBC to Channel 4, and has been a beloved fixture on it ever since.

In a statement, she said: “Bake Off has been a fabulous part of my life for nine years. I have genuinely loved it and I’m sure I’ll miss working with my fellow judge Paul, Alison and Noel, and the teams at Love Productions and Channel 4.”

Speaking about stepping into Prue’s shoes, Nigella said: “I’m uncharacteristically rather lost for words right now. Of course it’s daunting to be following in the footsteps of Prue Leith and Mary Berry before her, great dames both, but I’m also bubbling with excitement.”

She added: “The Great British Bake Off is more than a television programme, it’s a National Treasure – and it’s a huge honour to be entrusted with it.

“I’m just thrilled to be joining the team and all the new bakers to come, I wish the marvellous Prue all the best, and am giddily grateful for the opportunity!”

The Great British Bake Off returns to Channel 4 later this year

Source link

What Kate Garraway has said about finding love after husband Derek Draper’s death

Good Morning Britain presenter Kate Garraway lost her husband Derek Draper in 2024

Kate Garraway had been married to late husband Derek Draper for 18 years when he died in 2024.

The Good Morning Britain presenter was left heartbroken when the former political advisor died at the age of 56, weeks after suffering a cardiac arrest. Derek had spent more than a year in hospital after falling ill with the coronavirus in 2020. He suffered several health setbacks and had needed round the clock care after he returned home to Kate and their two children Darcey and Billy.

“Rest gently and peacefully now Derek, my love, I was so lucky to have you in my life,” Kate said in a moving tribute after announcing that he had died.

The star has since been open about what life is like for the family as they try and deal with their loss, sharing touching milestones and opening up about their grief journey.

Kate has occasionally addressed whether she might dip her toe in the dating pool again. However, two years on, she is still thought to be single, although there have been persistent rumours about her meeting someone.

What has Kate Garraway said about finding love again?

In February 2025, Kate opened up about life after Derek in a chat with Hello! magazine.

While she didn’t specifically talk about relationships, the TV presenter did say that she knew her late husband would want her to live her life.

“Derek would want me to be grabbing life, because you learn how fast, and how easily, it can be snatched away,” she said. “I know he’d be saying, ‘You’ve got to get out and live, because I can’t’.”

A few months later, the star told The Sun that all the speculation about her love life had “made me think about it”.

“And honestly, I don’t feel as if I can,” she said. “It’s a weird one, because I wouldn’t like to think I’d spend the rest of my life without love, but also it feels preposterous at the moment to think of being with anyone else.”

However, Kate said she knew she was “going to have to think about the future at some point”.

The Celebrity Traitors star said expanding her social circle was on the agenda, so that she could try to have a social life that “isn’t based on being a mummy”. “There’s no point in worrying about it – it will happen organically when I am ready,” she said.

Kate, who took part in the first celebrity series of The Traitors, has also admitted that living the rest of her life without finding love again would be “sad”.

Opening up to Jamie Laing on his Great Company podcast, she said: “Well I wouldn’t like to think that I’d never had romantic love in my life again. I think that would be rather a sad way to go through life wouldn’t it?

“But, no, I’m not there yet. I don’t know if anybody would want me.”

She quipped: “Talk to your mates, find out if any of their dads are single.”

Kate Garraway is on the Great Celebrity Bake Off for Stand Up To Cancer, which airs at 7pm on Channel 4 on Sunday May 3.

Good Morning Britain airs weekdays from 6am on ITV1 and ITVX.

Source link