small business

In dueling L.A. speeches, Becerra and Hilton give preview for November

In separate speeches delivered a few hours apart, California’s two gubernatorial hopefuls stuck to familiar themes — offering a preview of the issues that could define the November election to succeed Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Xavier Becerra, a Democrat, sought to tie Republican rival Steve Hilton to President Trump during his remarks Wednesday at the National Assn. of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials conference in downtown L.A.

Hilton focused on his immigrant roots and how to help small businesses in California, and ignored Becerra’s attacks.

California gubernatorial candidate Steve Hilton speaks next to a U.S. flag.

California gubernatorial candidate Steve Hilton speaks at the National Assn. of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials conference at the InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown on Wednesday.

(Myung J. Chun / Los Angeles Times)

Their appearances at the conference marked one of the first times both candidates have appeared at the same event since the June 2 primary.

Becerra, the former U.S. Health and Human Services secretary and former California attorney general, placed first in the primary, winning 28% of the vote. Hilton, a former Fox News commentator, followed with 24.6%.

Republicans make up only a quarter of registered voters in the state, so Hilton may face an uphill battle to victory in November.

Democrats, including Newsom, have sought attention by attacking Trump and defending California policies, and Becerra appeared to lean into that approach on Wednesday.

Without mentioning Hilton or Trump by name, Becerra labeled the president a “false” prophet during his 10-minute address.

“We don’t need people who make a promise to end a war in one day, and today, we still fight it and others,” said Becerra, referring to the ongoing U.S. attacks on Iran. “We don’t need someone who said they will lower the price of gasoline and then raise it by starting a reckless, illegal war.”

California doesn’t “need those prophets and worse. And I tell you this — in California we will not accept their disciples,” said Becerra, seemingly referring to Hilton.

Hilton, who spoke for about five minutes, acknowledged he was endorsed by Trump. He then pivoted to the topic of immigration and alluded to the red tape and regulations in the state that he blames for hurting small businesses.

He recounted how his parents moved from Hungary to Britain, and then how he moved to California in 2012.

“That story of the immigrant aspiration, climbing the ladder of opportunity in a new country, that is my story,” Hilton said.

Hilton attended the University of Oxford and worked a senior advisor to former U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron before moving to the state. He also talked about his time running restaurants.

“That is a really tough business, and it is especially tough today in California for small business owners, for working-class Californians, and that’s what I’m fighting for in this campaign,” he said.

Hilton said he is “not an ideologue,” and doesn’t “want to tell anyone how to live their life or run their business.”

“I just want everyone to have a shot at climbing that ladder of opportunity,” he said.

Becerra also chastised Hilton over an incident in May, when Hilton filmed himself eating a Del Taco taco, which he called a “street taco.”

Becerra, looking amused, told the NALEO audience that you don’t get street tacos “in some establishment that’s been around for a long time.”

“You get it on the street from the guy who’s been making it for a long time in his little cart,” he said.

Newsom and U.S. Sen. Alex Padilla (D-Calif.) also previously spoke during the conference, which included discussion of the recent killings of immigrants by federal officers.

“The price of freedom, of democracy, of inclusion, is high,” said Becerra, adding that the price of “simply driving while brown” is “so high.”

Source link

‘I love America!’: With the World Cup, Inglewood becomes an international hub

Daiki Kaneko had only 24 hours before his World Cup journey took him to Dallas, where his home country’s squad will take on Sweden.

The Japanese soccer fan was making the most of it on Tuesday in Inglewood, snapping pictures of SoFi Stadium before taking in a different kind of monument: a space-age, two-story branch of the chicken chain Raising Cane’s, complete with a 308-square-foot screen, a mirrored dog sculpture and a massive halo hovering around the exterior.

For Kaneko, 25, who lives in the Tokyo suburbs, it was the perfect encapsulation of American grandeur.

“All this for chicken,” he said. “I love America.”

Inglewood is already diverse — most residents are Latino or Black, and nearly a third are immigrants. But during the World Cup, it’s looking more like the United Nations. English, Japanese, Swiss, Iranians, Paraguayans, Bosnians, Belgians and others are flocking to the city of about 102,000, where eight matches are being played at SoFi Stadium.

Though visitors from abroad may not have heard of Inglewood until now, they’re soaking up the vibes of a city that has long been a major sports and entertainment hub, home to venues such as the Kia Forum and Intuit Dome, and a crucible of Black culture, immortalized in hip-hop songs by artists such as Tupac Shakur and Dr. Dre.

“We’re an international city now,” Mayor James Butts said.

Butts said locals were already proud of what the city has become, but the World Cup has put the celebratory feelings over the top.

“We have people from so many different countries migrating to Inglewood, and there’s an explosive sense of community pride,” he said.

Bartender Elijah Gonzalez, left, mixes a drink at the Nile Bar while customers watch World Cup soccer preview.

Bartender Elijah Gonzalez, left, mixes a drink at the Nile Bar in Inglewood while customers watch a World Cup soccer preview.

(Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times)

City officials are doing everything they can to embrace the spirit of the tournament, including speeding up permits so small businesses and neighborhoods can hold World Cup gatherings and watch parties, Butts said. During the U.S.’s opening match against Paraguay on June 12, the city hosted the Wood Cup, a block party on Market Street that brought in more than 5,000 people.

Businesses across the city are embracing the tournament as well, vying for a piece of the roughly $17 million the city expects to haul in. For a few weeks, concerns about skyrocketing housing costs and gentrification, brought on by the city’s increasing popularity as a place to settle down, are taking a back seat to the sheer fun of international soccer.

The supersized Raising Cane’s had its grand opening on June 11, the first day of the tournament. During the USMNT’s opening match, Cinepolis, a luxury movie theater down the road from SoFi Stadium, turned into a global sports hub, according to CEO Luis Olloqui.

Maddy Daversa, a bartender at the Meeting Spot, a restaurant near the stadium, said 2,000 people poured in when the Americans played Paraguay.

“I was selling beers for five hours straight,” she said. “It was crazy.”

Daversa said the restaurant is usually closed on Mondays but opened in hopes of getting some spillover fans from the Iran-New Zealand game at SoFi.

“Every table was full,” she said. “We’re taking advantage.”

Tuesday was an off day for Inglewood, with no games at SoFi. But the energy was still palpable, with locals sporting soccer jerseys and tourists popping up across the city.

“I just want to be where the fans are,” said David Meier, a Swiss fan in town for his home country’s match against Bosnia-Herzegovina on Thursday.

Meier, 45, plans to explore L.A. via bars, restaurants and watch parties, taking in every game that his schedule will allow before heading north of the border to Vancouver, where Switzerland will face Canada on June 24.

“Everyone has been so kind,” he said. “Soccer and beer turns strangers into friends.”

Flags from a variety of countries competing in the World Cup are on display

Flags from countries competing in the World Cup are on display at Manchester Boulevard and South Market Street in Inglewood.

(Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times)

The energy carried over to Market Street, a historic shopping district about a mile from SoFi Stadium. Businesses set up signs, posters and international flags to lure locals and tourists alike, while the Miracle Theater hosted a watch party for the match between France and Senegal.

Owen Smith, who co-owns the theater with his wife, Mariana, said a Senegalese friend who grew up in France asked if he would be willing to show the game on the big screen. A day later, fans of both teams assembled inside, snapping photos in front of a giant inflatable World Cup trophy in the lobby.

“The Miracle is a cultural event theater. It’s about accommodating the community,” Smith said.

Benyam Woldegiorgis, who co-owns the Nile Bar on Market Street, is showing every single World Cup match — all 104 of them.

“It brings in business,” he said. “Usually it’s just football, basketball and baseball, but now we’re adding soccer to the mix.”

Dionte Johnson, owner of the streetwear store Kingsrowe, partnered with Adidas to hold a watch party for the U.S. team’s opener and said the turnout was massive, bringing in loads of Mexico fans who are local residents, even though their team had already won their opener the day before.

“The downside of the World Cup is that tickets are so expensive, so a lot of locals can’t go check out the games themselves. That’s why we’re hosting events,” Johnson said. “The games are in our backyard, so this is something people have had on their calendar for a long time.”

Homeowners are cashing in as well, with some renting out their places on Airbnb for a small fortune, figuring that crashing on a friend’s couch or booking a hotel room elsewhere is well worth the lofty payouts brought by World Cup demand.

Across L.A., hotel demand lagged compared with initial expectations, but short-term rental prices still jumped 56% compared with typical rates, and more than 70% of rentals were booked by December 2025.

In Inglewood — especially for rentals walkable to SoFi Stadium — prices became dizzying.

David (pictured) and Peggy Orenstein, run an Airbnb across the street from SoFi Stadium.

David Orenstein and his wife, Peggy, run an Airbnb across the street from SoFi Stadium. It usually rents for $400 per night, but for the U.S. team’s opening game, it went for $3,000.

(Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)

Peggy Orenstein and her husband, David, own a home steps from the stadium that typically rents for $400 a night on Airbnb. For the U.S. team’s opener, the nightly rate shot up to $3,000.

For other matches, the four-bedroom house is going for $1,200 to $1,500 a night. Orenstein said the high demand and international crowds are a teaser for what’s to come.

“Next up is the Olympics,” she said. “This is a great learning lesson for what we can expect.”

Source link

How Gemma Collins’ dad saved her from financial ruin & helped rake in £1.4M last year… he even lives with her & fiancé

GEMMA Collins spent years convincing the world she was living her best diva life – but behind the designer handbags and larger-than-life personality, there was a time when the empire she had worked so hard to build started crumbling around her.

Incredibly, the GC pulled herself back from the brink and banked more than £1.4 million last year. But friends say the feat would have been nearly impossible without the help of one very special man.

Gemma has admitted that Alan is the gatekeeper to her fortune Credit: Getty
Gemma’s Dad is her rock and keeps her grounded Credit: Instagram

Those closest to Gemma have revealed the secret to the Romford-born star’s success is her dad, Alan, who is credited as the only person who can keep Gemma grounded.

A source tells us: “People see Gemma as this unstoppable force of nature, but behind the scenes, Alan has always been her rock.

“When things got difficult financially, he stepped in and took control.

“Gemma trusts him completely. There aren’t many people she would hand that responsibility to.”

For years, Gemma has openly admitted that Alan is effectively the gatekeeper to her fortune.

In one interview, she confessed: “My dad controls all my money. Seriously, I have to ask him if I want to upgrade my car.”

It’s a remarkable admission for a woman who has built a reported £4million fortune and can command up to £75,000 for a single sponsored Instagram post.

But those who know the family say it perfectly sums up their relationship.

Another source tells us: “Alan has always kept Gemma grounded.

“She’s the star, but he’s the sensible head behind the scenes.

“When she gets excited about a new project, he’s often the person asking the difficult questions.”

The latest figures suggest that the approach is paying off.

Accounts for her personal brand, Gemma Collins Ltd, show the company landed profits of around £1.4 million last year.

For fans who remember the financial turmoil of previous years, this is a huge turnaround.

Back in 2017, Gemma Collins Boutique Ltd was forced into liquidation owing around £88,000 to creditors.

The problems continued when she was disqualified from acting as a company director for three years in 2020 after repeatedly failing to meet VAT return deadlines, with HMRC pursuing claims worth more than £71,000.

A separate clothing business was later voluntarily dissolved, while her cosmetics venture, GemmaCollagen Ltd, survived for just a matter of months before disappearing altogether.

One insider tells us: “There was a period where it felt like every business venture came with a headache.

“Gemma never stopped working, but there were definitely lessons learned.

“That’s when Alan became more involved.”

It is perhaps fitting that Gemma’s biggest supporter is also somebody who understands business himself.

Alan built a successful career in shipping and has long been regarded as one of the most influential figures in his daughter’s life.

Fans caught a glimpse of their bond on her reality shows, where Alan frequently offered advice, not just about money but about life itself.

During one emotional conversation about her turbulent romance with James Argent, he told her: “You’ve just got to find some stability in your life when you find the right person.

Gemma’s parents, Alan and Joan, live with Gemma in her £1.3 million Essex home alongside fiancé Rami Credit: Refer to Caption
Gemma will return to screens with a new Sky reality series, Four Weddings and a Baby, with Rami Credit: Splash

“As much as we all like Arg, you’ve got to decide if he’s the right person.”

He later added: “For my daughter, I want somebody who’s top dollar.”

Those close to the family say that attitude explains exactly why Gemma places so much trust in him.

One source tells us: “Alan isn’t interested in celebrity.

“He cares about Gemma being secure and looked after. That’s always been his focus.”

Their relationship has only strengthened in recent years.

Gemma has spoken emotionally about her father’s devastating battle with Covid in 2020, when he spent weeks fighting for his life in intensive care.

She has also supported both Alan and mum Joan through a series of serious health scares, including Joan’s breast cancer diagnosis and terrifying hospitalisation last year after she stopped breathing.

The ordeal brought the family even closer together.

These days, Alan and Joan live with Gemma in her £1.3 million Essex home alongside fiancé Rami.

Speaking previously, Gemma said: “They live with me now. They’ve moved into my home, so we’re like one big Irish family.”

And remarkably, there appears to be very little tension under the roof.

Previously speaking to The Sun, Gemma explained: “Rami was absolutely fine with it.

“He loves my parents. They get on really well.

“You’ve got to remember, Rami has been in my family for nearly 15 years.”

The happy family dynamic comes as Gemma prepares for what insiders believe could be one of the biggest chapters of her career.

Later this year, she will return to screens with a new Sky reality series, Four Weddings and a Baby, which follows her wedding plans with Rami and her hopes of starting a family.

One insider tells us: “This show is incredibly important to Gemma because it’s the most personal thing she’s ever done.

“People know The GC, but this is about the woman behind the character.

“She’s genuinely in a really happy place.”

And for Gemma, that happiness feels hard-earned.

Perhaps that’s why those closest to her believe the latest financial success means far more than a healthy bank balance.

It’s proof that after all the setbacks, Gemma Collins is finally enjoying the stability she spent years chasing.

And standing beside her through every twist and turn has been the same man all along.

Source link

Huge UK indoor adventure park shuts ‘with immediate effect’ after plunging into administration

AN enormous indoor adventure park, fitted with inflatable obstacle courses and thrilling activities, has shut down with immediate effect.

The family-friendly attraction has been a hit with the community for over six years, welcoming 400,000 visitors during that time.

Indoor adventure park, "Ultimate Warriors", with obstacles and inflatables lit by red and blue lights.
Ultimate Warriors adventure park in Gloucester has plunged into administration Credit: Ultimate Warriors
Indoor adventure park with red and grey slides and a multi-level climbing structure.
The site, fitted with obstacle courses, was enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of visitors Credit: Ultimate Warriors

Ultimate Warriors, formerly Ninja Warrior UK, in Gloucester, shut down earlier this month.

This comes after the adventure park was plunged into administration, only a year after leaving the national Ninja Warrior group.

Ultimate Warriors hoped to sell the business, exploring every option to remain open.

Following a sale falling through last minute, they had no option but to close, nearly seven years after it opened in October 2019.

LONG WAIT

World’s longest flight set to take 22 hours delayed AGAIN due to Iran crisis


ON TRACK

Huge £99million upgrade to transform one of Britain’s busiest train stations

Only recently, Ultimate Warriors had refreshed its equipment and activities, running independently as a family-run business.

Ultimate Warriors Gloucester said on Facebook: “After six and a half wonderful years, it is with great sadness that we announce Ultimate Warriors has entered administration and has closed its doors.

“We explored every possible option to keep our much-loved venue open. Unfortunately, despite strong interest, we are devastated to have a sale fall through at the last minute.

“As a small business, we simply do not have the financial reserves to continue operating in such uncertain economic conditions, even with the incredible support and feedback we have received from our guests over the years.”

Ultimate Warriors was formerly part of the Ninja Warrior UK franchise, which owns 16 adventure parks across the UK, all based on the hit ITV show.

Similar to the Ninja Warrior UK set up, Ultimate Warriors in Gloucester had a variety of activities, including monkey bars, slides and climbing walls.

Now, the Ultimate Warriors team is supporting its staff get new jobs, including reaching out to Airhop Gloucester to possibly accommodate them.

Ultimate Warriors Gloucester said: “To everyone who visited us, celebrated with us, worked with us, or supported us along the way – thank you. Your support, loyalty, and memories will stay with us forever.”

Source link