owners

US ends cap on local TV station owners amid concerns of media consolidation | Media News

Critics say the 39 percent cap was a safeguard against excessive concentration of media ownership in the US.

The United States Federal Communications Commission has voted to rescind the rule that bars local broadcast station owners from reaching more than 39 percent of the total number of US TV households in a move that could help spark industry consolidation.

The FCC on Thursday voted 2-1 to lift the cap in favour of a new case-by-case approach. The commission’s sole Democrat, Anna Gomez, said the proposal was illegal and argued only the US Congress can lift the cap. Many critics argue the move will lead to excessive market power among station owners.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

Under the rules, stations with weaker over-the-air signals can be partially counted against a company’s ownership cap. The FCC has limited ownership of local broadcast stations since 1941 and most recently raised the cap to 39 percent in 2004.

FCC Chairman Brendan Carr said the move is about helping local broadcasters survive and pointed to the sharp decline in local newspapers.

“We should stop hamstringing this one segment of the broader market with outdated restrictions,” Carr said.

“The FCC kept a rule on the books in the name of localism that contributed to the gutting of local newspapers … I don’t want local broadcast TV to go the way of local newspapers.”

The FCC said the new rule would consider applications on television company mergers that would go above 39 percent on an individual basis to determine if they are in the public interest. The agency said it would “remove artificial restrictions on opportunities for broadcast television to attract capital and generate revenue”.

Gomez said the decision is “an invitation to bring in a lot of transactions”.

‘More control’

Lifting the cap hands “more control of the public airwaves to a small number of companies whose coverage pleases this administration … It is putting its thumb on the scale in favour of content that this administration likes,” she added.

Carr has said the change would allow local television owners to increase investment in local programming and give them more leverage against national networks.

In March, the FCC approved the $3.54bn sale of ‌local television station owner Tegna to Nexstar despite objections from Democratic-led states.

The acquisition, if not reversed by courts, will expand Nexstar’s presence to cover 80 percent of US TV households. The FCC has said it was waiving the 39 percent rule in approving the deal.

Senate Commerce Committee Chair Ted Cruz, a Republican, said last month that he is sceptical the FCC can hike the 39 percent cap without an act of Congress.

Clayton Weimers, executive director at Reporters Without Borders North America, said in a statement that with this latest move, the FCC has “abandoned” one of the last significant safeguards against excessive concentration of media ownership in the US, which ensured that “no single company or individual should be allowed to dominate what millions of Americans see, hear, and understand about the world”.

“Today’s vote eliminates that safeguard and only benefits a handful of already powerful media conglomerates. This is not deregulation in the public interest. It is consolidation in the interest of the powerful,” Weimers said.

He said that the action exceeds the FCC’s legal authority and that Reporters Without Borders was evaluating every available legal avenue to challenge this decision.

Source link

L.A. property owners reject $80 million streetlight funding increase

Los Angeles property owners voted against an increase in an assessment for maintaining streetlights that would have collected an additional $80 million a year, as the city faces a backlog of broken streetlights due to stagnant funding and a rise in vandalism.

The assessment has not changed since 1996. Property owners had until June 2 to submit their votes, which were weighted by the amount of their parcel’s proposed assessment. According to results released Thursday, nearly 80% of the weighted vote went against raising the assessment, which currently generates about $45 million a year.

For the average single-family home, which make up the majority of parcels, the current payment is $58 annually, or about $5 a month, according to Miguel Sangalang, executive director and general manager of the Bureau of Street Lighting. The increase would have brought the average annual bill to $117, or about $10 a month.

The proposed increase would have brought the total amount collected by the assessment to $125 million a year.

In a joint statement Thursday, Mayor Karen Bass, Council President Marqueece Harris-Dawson and City Councilmembers Eunisses Hernandez and Katy Yaroslavsky said that despite the result, the “critical work will continue” to address the broken streetlights that have plunged neighborhoods into darkness across the city.

“Despite this outcome, the City remains committed to improving streetlight reliability, repairing outages faster, and building a sustainable funding path for streetlight operations and maintenance,” the group statement said. “Every Angeleno deserves to feel safe walking their dogs, returning home from work, and parking their cars at night, and the City is committed to delivering the reliable street lighting that makes that a reality.”

The Bureau of Street Lighting owns and operates nearly 225,000 streetlights across the city, which have historically been covered by the assessment. The average repair time for a streetlight was one year, bureau officials said in February.

Without more revenue from the assessment, city officials have been looking for alternative funding. The City Council has said it will finance $65 million for solar-powered streetlights.

Bass recently announced an initiative to repair and replace 60,000 streetlights over the next two years, and several council members have turned to their district’s discretionary funding to fix broken streetlights in their districts.

Hernandez, who chairs the council’s Public Works Committee, said in a statement that the result doesn’t change the fact that the city is trying to maintain a 21st century lighting system with an outdated funding model.

“If this assessment isn’t the path forward, then it’s our responsibility to build one through better leveraging City assets like light poles, exploring new revenue opportunities, and pursuing reforms to outdated state laws like Proposition 218 that make it extraordinarily difficult for cities as large as Los Angeles to maintain basic public infrastructure,” she said.

Broken streetlights have emerged as an issue in the mayoral election, with Councilmember Nithya Raman citing broken lights as an example of how the city “can’t seem to manage the basics.” Raman is facing Bass in a Nov. 2 runoff.

In February, city council members announced a plan to replace streetlights with solar-powered versions, in an attempt to deter copper wire theft. About 1 in 10 streetlights are out of service because of disrepair or copper wire theft, according to the city.

A well-known example is the Sixth Street Bridge, where thieves stole seven miles’ worth of wire.

Source link

Gun owners may carry a weapon into stores, Supreme Court rules, rejecting a California law

Licensed gun owners have a right to carry a concealed firearm into stores and other private places unless the owner objects, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

The 6-3 decision extends gun rights and strikes down laws in Hawaii, California, New York, New Jersey and Maryland.

Those measures would prohibit carrying guns onto private property that is open to the public unless the owner has expressly authorized them.

“This regime hobbles what the 2nd Amendment protects: the right of Americans to carry arms for self-defense as they go about their daily lives. We hold that the law is unconstitutional,” Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. said for the court.

The new laws, if upheld, would “impose severe restrictions on the daily activities of residents who have satisfied the state’s rigorous requirements for the issuance of a carry permit. When these permit holders leave home in the morning, … they may also be barred from entering many places that people routinely visit in the course of their daily routines, such as gas stations, convenience stores, restaurants, coffee shops, drug stores, grocery stores, ‘big box’ stores, home improvement stores, barber shops or hair salons, dry cleaners, and laundromats.”

The three liberals dissented, saying the law would protect property owners who don’t want guns in their stores.

“There is no constitutional right to enter private property without the owner’s permission, let alone with a firearm,” said Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson.

Trump administration lawyers had joined a coalition of Hawaii gun owners in urging the court to strike down these blue state laws in the case of Wolford vs. Lopez.

They said the laws, if enforced, would mean “a person carrying a handgun for self-defense commits a crime by entering a mall, a gas station, a convenience store, a supermarket, a restaurant or a coffee shop.”

This litigation is part of much broader debate over where guns may be permitted or prohibited.

Four years ago, the justices ruled that law-abiding persons had a right to obtain a permit to carry a concealed gun when they left home. They also agreed there are “sensitive places” where guns may be prohibited, such as schools, courts and other government buildings.

In response, lawmakers in California and Hawaii adopted their own lists of “sensitive places.” They imposed restrictions on concealed weapons at parks, beaches, playgrounds, places of worship and public transit as well as bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

Gun owners sued but the 9th Circuit Court refused to block most of those restrictions in a single 83-page opinion covering Hawaii and California. Both states would prohibit carrying guns onto private property open to the public without the owner’s consent.

The 9th Circuit upheld that measure in principle but said California went too far by requiring the owner to post a prominent sign expressly authorizing guns.

“While today’s ruling in Wolford is disappointing, owners still have every right to decide whether firearms are allowed in their stores and businesses,” said Janet Carter, managing director of Second Amendment Litigation at Everytown Law. “The Supreme Court may have changed the default rule, but it cannot take away a private property owner’s authority over their own land.”

The Firearms Policy Coalition said the court had properly protected gun rights and barred states from carving out their “own regional version of the 2nd Amendment.”

“The historical record does not support forcing peaceable people to obtain advance permission before carrying for self-defense in places held open to them,” the group said.

Last week, the court upheld gun rights in a Texas case and said the government may not make it a crime for an “unlawful user” of a drug such as marijuana to own a gun.

Source link

Gaza pet owners struggle to keep animals healthy amid vet crisis | Gaza News

NewsFeed

Animal lovers in Gaza are resorting to desperate measures to keep their pets alive and healthy. Only two pet clinics are still operating, and critical veterinary supplies and animal food are running low. Vets are warning animal deaths will rise unless supplies arrive soon.

Source link

Half of pet owners plan their entire holiday around their furry friends

‘Pet Set Go’ by Carnilove, Chipping Norton, 3rd June 2026

HALF of pet owners plan their entire holiday around their furry friends, a study has revealed.

A poll of 2,000 cat and dog owners found 26 per cent are ditching trips abroad in favour of staying in the UK and taking their pet with them – as stricter rules on pet travel to the EU have recently come into force.

‘Pet Set Go’, Britain’s first pop-up travel agency for adventurous pets by Carnilove, opens in Chipping Norton Credit: Alex Morton/PinPep
The new venture will help pet owners find their perfect holiday Credit: Alex Morton/PinPep
More than half of Brits go on holiday with their pets Credit: Alex Morton/PinPep
A third of Brits have previously had to change or cancel a holiday due to a lack of pet-friendly options Credit: Alex Morton/PinPep

More than half (54 per cent) decide to holiday with their animal offspring because they enjoy their company, while 39 per cent feel happier knowing they’ve given their pet a new experience.

When searching for somewhere to stay, 33 per cent like to ensure there are pet-friendly pubs and restaurants nearby, and 30 per cent will factor in how long the journey is going to be.

In response to these findings, pet food maker Carnilove has opened a pop-up travel agent ‘Pet Set Go’, where owners can get travel tips and advice on travelling with their pet, as a third have previously had to change or cancel a holiday due to a lack of pet-friendly options.

Owners can visit the travel agency at 21 West Street, Chipping Norton until June 4th at 5pm, or explore the five travel guides and expert advice online.

TRAGIC TALE

Heartbroken Angry Ginge reveals family lost THREE pets in mum’s house fire


LIFE OF GRIME

Bodies under rubbish & remains eaten by PETS… my life as crime scene cleaner

Cara Whitehouse, pet travel expert, said: “We’re seeing a massive shift in the UK when it comes to furry friend-friendly holidays.

“Pet parents no longer want a holiday where their pet is just ‘tolerated’ – they’re now at the heart of the adventure.

“By uncovering these incredible ‘hidden gem’ locations, from the sweeping dunes of Anglesey to the rugged, raw plateaus of the Cairngorms, we’re helping owners match destinations to their pet’s unique character.

“As international travel with pets gets tougher, we’re glad to help match more fuss-free destinations to a pet’s requirements to support their natural spirit.”

The study also found the biggest challenges of holidaying with pets include a limited choice of places to eat or drink (19 per cent), and restrictions on beaches, walks or attractions (19 per cent).

Nearly four in 10 (38 per cent) say no additional pet fees would make them more likely to book an animal-included holiday.

Trusted reviews from other owners (34 per cent) and access to pet friendly activities (26 per cent) were also considered important.  

Of those planning a UK holiday with their pet this summer, the Lake District (24 per cent), Yorkshire Dales (21 per cent) and Cornwall (18 per cent) are among the top-rated destinations.

Colin Rodger, managing director at Carnilove, said: “We launched the ‘Pet Set Go’ agency because an active, adventurous life isn’t just a luxury for our pets: it’s a necessity to ignite their true spirit.

“Our research shows that owners are willing to go the extra mile to ensure their four-legged friends are part of the pack, but every great expedition requires the right fuel.

“By pairing our meat-first, potato and grain-free recipes with expert travel advice, we’re helping pet parents support the vitality and natural strength needed for a lifetime of shared memories on the trail.”

The OnePoll.com study also found 54 per cent claim holidaying with their pet gives them both a much-needed wellness boost.

A third even notice a significant boost in their animal’s mood several weeks after returning home, with 30 per cent saying they show more ‘vitality’ or ‘spirit’.

What’s more, 37 per cent of those with kids believe their pet’s needs are just as important as their children’s.

Izzy Judd, a brand partner, said: “Our home is always a bit of a whirlwind with three children, but our pets are such a huge part of our family’s heartbeat.

“We’ve always found that the best way to hit ‘reset’ is to take a trip together, so I’m happy to be part of ‘Pet Set Go’ because I know first-hand the ‘wellness boost’ you get from a shared adventure.

“It isn’t always easy to plan, but fuelling our pets with the right nutrition and being able to take them on our family holidays makes all the difference in creating those special core memories together.”

Source link