Johnny Depp is in talks for a sixth Pirates of the Caribbean filmCredit: GettyJohnny gained worldwide fame by starring as pirate Captain Jack SparrowCredit: Alamy
Almost a decade on from the last instalment, new reports suggest Johnny will reprise the beloved character yet again.
Producer Jerry Bruckheimer told Deadline Hollywood at D23: “We’re talking with Johnny (Depp), we’re working on a screenplay, and hopefully we can get this done.”
Sign up for the Showbiz newsletter
Thank you!
Sources also told the publication that the nextfilm would reportedly follow a protagonist played by Margot Robbie, with Jack in a supporting role.
Other key cast members throughout the films include Orlando Bloom, Kiera Knightley, Geoffrey Rush and Kevin R. McNally.
Inspired by Charles Dickens’ classic A Christmas Carol, it sees Johnny star as the infamous miser Ebenezer Scrooge.
The star-studded cast also includes Ian McKellen, Rupert Grint, Daisy Ridley, Andrea Riseborough and Sam Claflin.
Directed by Ti West, the film is set to be released in cinemas on November 13.
Depp sued his ex-wife for defamation over an opinion article she wrote for the Washington Post, alleging she was a domestic abuse victim, though it did not mention him by name.
His former spouse Amber Heard counter-sued.
Following this, jurors awarded Depp – who had denied abusing Heard – $15m (£12m) of compensatory and punitive damages.
Meanwhile, Heard was awarded £2m in compensatory damages, having won one of three counter-claims against Depp.
Weekly insights and analysis on the latest developments in military technology, strategy, and foreign policy.
With one-way attack drones playing an ever larger role in American military operations, U.S. Central Command announced it is creating what it calls “the first multinational attack drone task force.” The move comes as combat between the U.S. and Iran has paused, but tensions in the region remain high, including ongoing attacks on shipping by the Iranian-aligned Houthi rebels of Yemen. The task force is also being launched amid growing concerns about the U.S. magazine depth of high-end standoff weapons — a class of weapon one-way-attack drones aim to take pressure off of.
Dubbed Task Force Falcon Strike (TFFS), the command said it will “employ one-way attack drones consisting of unmanned systems from above, on, and below the sea operated by military support staff from the United States and regional partners.”
The CENTCOM announcement offered no further information about which nations will participate, what systems will be used, and whether those joining Task Force Falcon Strike will bring their own equipment. The command declined to provide further details when we asked.
The war against Iran saw the command follow global trends in warfare by deploying air and sea drones in combat for the first time. Other militaries in the Middle East have or are working on acquiring similar capabilities. Israel largely wrote the book on one-way attack munitions, for instance.
Low-Cost Uncrewed Combat Attack System (LUCAS) drones. (Courtesy Photo)
Initially, TFSS was created to send a warning to Iran, a U.S. official told us at the time. As we noted earlier in this story, after the launch of Epic Fury on Feb. 28, TFSS marked several operational firsts for America’s use of drones in war.
The first major milestone came on the opening day of the war, when LUCAS drones were used for the first time. The second came in June, when a Saronic Corsair uncrewed surface vessel (USV) rescued the crew of a U.S. Army AH-64 Apache that crashed in the Gulf of Oman after it was downed by Iran. That was the first known instance of a drone boat being used to recover personnel as part of a search and rescue mission.
The third large step forward for U.S. drone warfare came in July, when three Corsairs “hit the port at Bandar Abbas Naval Base” and “successfully struck a submarine and ship maintenance facility in Iran,” the command stated on X that day. It was the first U.S. use of a USV as an attack weapon.
You can see those attacks in the following video produced by CENTCOM.
Yesterday, using multiple one-way attack surface drones, CENTCOM forces successfully struck a submarine and ship maintenance facility in Iran. Three Corsair unmanned surface vessels hit the port at Bandar Abbas Naval Base, marking the first time American forces have employed sea… pic.twitter.com/bOM2kmgRxz
Notably, the command also said the new task force will also use uncrewed underwater vehicles (UUVs) as attack weapons. If they have been used in combat by the U.S., that has not been publicly acknowledged. The command did announce in April that it was using UUVs to assist in demining the Strait of Hormuz.
“Task Force Falcon Strike will expand on Scorpion Strike’s success given the tremendous innovation happening among our regional allies and partners,” Adm. Brad Cooper, CENTCOM commander, said in a statement. “Integrating and deploying our new capabilities together will help us rapidly realize the new possibilities that are on the horizon.”
“The United States military has a lot of strong partnerships and friends in the region,” Cooper added. “We are collectively stronger when we integrate and deploy new capabilities together.”
CENTCOM said it has started the process of consulting with and officially inviting regional partners.
“As regional partners formally join, Task Force Falcon Strike will scale attack drone capabilities across the Middle East into a unified multi-domain, multinational deterrent,” the command explained.
U.S. Special Operations Command Central (SOCCENT), which launched Scorpion Strike, will lead the new task force’s staff of U.S. and regional representatives.
As we noted earlier in this story, all this comes amid simmering regional tensions.
Although the U.S. and Iran have not fired at each other in a few weeks, the two sides continue to verbally spar over control of the Strait of Hormuz, a standoff that raises concerns about renewed hostilities. President Donald Trump on Wednesday issued a social media post saying the U.S. controls the vital checkpoint and that the ongoing naval blockade of Iranian ports will remain in place.
Trump: ‘The U.S.A. has total control over over the Strait of Hormuz. I THINK WE WILL KEEP IT! Our Naval Blockade is being called, by everyone, “A WALL OF STEEL,” and there is nothing Iran can do about it. They have no Navy, they have no Air Force, their remaining soldiers are… pic.twitter.com/9tecLcW3oW
Six dead in latest (presumed) Houthi attack on a cargo ship in the Red Sea…The Tanzania-flagged Tihamah “was hit by three consecutive ballistic missiles, the Yemeni Ministry of Transport said, in the Bab el Mandeb on Tuesday…Four crewmembers were killed in the attack” and…
Given all that, it is understandable why CENTCOM would want to marshal regional forces to create a new one-way attack drone unit. Especially when concerns are mounting about the expenditure of expensive, high-end, hard-to-replace U.S. munitions during the war on Iran.
Beyond that, the new task force could also create a lucrative regional marketplace for one-way attack drones, including those built at scale in the United States.
There are still many details yet to emerge about Task Force Falcon Strike. We will provide more details when they become available.
Weekly insights and analysis on the latest developments in military technology, strategy, and foreign policy.
An image has appeared, apparently for the first time, showing a Chinese J-15T carrier-based fighter launching while carrying four anti-ship missiles. The photo offers the clearest indication yet that China’s rapidly evolving carrier force is overcoming one of its longstanding operational constraints: getting heavily loaded strike fighters airborne from its flattops.
The image, at the top of this story, shows a J-15T in full afterburner moments before leaving the deck of the Fujian, the first People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) carrier equipped with catapults. The fighter is armed with four YJ-83K anti-ship missiles — double the number previously seen carried by a J-15 — amounting to a weapons load of roughly 6,400 pounds before accounting for any additional stores that may not be visible.
Previously, in fact, it seems that the latest J-15T version has only ever been seen with a single YJ-83K training round, while the aircraft was still in prototype form.
Two views of a prototype J-15T carrying a single YJ-83K training round and an inert PL-15 medium-range air-to-air missile. via Chinese internetvia Chinese internet
The YJ-83K is a widely used subsonic anti-ship missile, broadly equivalent to the U.S.-made AGM-84 Harpoon. The radar-guided, turbojet-powered weapon has a reported range of around 112 miles and is armed with a 360-pound high-explosive, semi-armor-piercing warhead. The YJ-83K is a sea-skimming missile cruising at an altitude of 65-100 feet, before dropping down to 16-24 feet during the terminal phase. Most significantly, each of these weapons weighs around 1,600 pounds.
A YJ-83K anti-ship missile under the wing of a STOBAR J-15 version. via Chinese internet
The very reason behind the development of the J-15T was to maximize the potential of Flanker operations from the Fujian, which is equipped with an electromagnetic aircraft launch system (EMALS), and subsequent carriers. As such, the J-15T is primarily distinguished from the original J-15 in being equipped for catapult takeoff but assisted recovery (CATOBAR) operations, as well as short takeoff but assisted recovery (STOBAR) operations.
Videos provide a comparison of a STOBAR J-15 carrier launch and a CATOBAR J-15T launch from Fujian:
The previous two PLAN aircraft carriers, the Liaoning and Shandong, both employ ‘ski-jump’ takeoff ramps to launch fixed-wing STOBAR aircraft.
As we have discussed in the past, the primary benefit of the J-15T is its ability to be catapult-launched from a carrier with a heavier payload of fuel and weapons. After all, the Flanker airframe has always been able to carry impressive fuel and weapons loads, but this has been strictly limited when configured for STOBAR operations. This is something that has hampered Russian Navy carrier operations, as much as Chinese ones.
Another STOBAR J-15 armed with a YJ-83K, on the deck of the Liaoning. via Chinese internet
Also significant is the fact that the J-15T has started to introduce domestically produced WS-10H turbofans in place of the Russian-made AL-31F engines previously found on production J-15s.
One of the prototype J-15Ts fitted with WS-10H engines. via Chinese internet
In the past, it appears that the heaviest loads seen carried by STOBAR J-15s launched from the Liaoning or Shandong comprised two YJ-83Ks and four air-to-air missiles, or, for air defense, four PL-12 medium-range air-to-air missiles and two short-range PL-8B air-to-air missiles.
Regardless, the fact that J-15Ts are now launching from the carrier with weapons loads of around 6,400 pounds is significant.
As well as increasing the anti-shipping potential of the J-15T, the same payload could be translated into additional fuel or other weapons loads.
Among the other weapons options for the jet are the more advanced PL-10 short-range and PL-15 medium-range air-to-air missiles. The J-15T has also been noted with the long-range YJ-15 anti-ship missile, and with a ‘buddy’ refueling pod. Other versions of the YJ-83K that could find their way onto the J-15 include the improved YJ-83KH, which features an imaging-infrared seeker and extended range.
A poor-quality but interesting image of a J-15T carrying a pair of YJ-15 anti-ship missiles. via Chinese internet
The ability for the J-15T to launch from a catapult-equipped carrier with a heavier payload doesn’t just impact the potential of the strike fighter. It will also translate to the two-seat carrier-compatible J-15 versions, intended to take on additional roles. Chief among these is the CATOBAR-capable J-15DT electronic warfare aircraft, intended to operate in a role similar to the U.S. Navy’s EA-18G Growler. With its array of external jamming pods, the J-15DT also needs to launch (and recover) at heavier weights to make the most of its potential.
A J-15DT catches the wire onboard the aircraft carrier Fujian. via Chinese internet
There are also rumors concerning a CATOBAR version of the two-seat J-15S, which could serve as a carrier trainer and/or as a multirole strike platform equivalent to the F/A-18F. Here, again, the EMALS will greatly enhance its capabilities.
Beyond marking another milestone in the rapid evolution of China’s carrier aviation capabilities, the new image suggests that the combination of the J-15T and the catapult-equipped carrier Fujian is beginning to deliver the kind of fully armed launch performance that its ski-jump carriers have long struggled to achieve.
A CITY said to be an alternative holiday destination to Dubai is getting its only flight route from the UK.
Air Arabia will launch the new flights from London Gatwick to Sharjah in the UAE next month.
Sign up for the Travel newsletter
Thank you!
Air Arabia is launching its first flights from the UK next monthCredit: Alamy
The route, starting from July 4, will operate twice a day, with flights from £205 each way.
It will be the first time the airline operates from the UK, and the only direct route to the UAE city.
Jonathan Pollard, Chief Commercial Officer, London Gatwick, previously said: “Demand for flights to destinations across the Middle East has really taken off this year and we have been delighted to offer passengers across London and the South East an increasingly fantastic range of routes and choice of carriers.”