1 of 5 | U.S. Secret Service officers investigate the scene of a shooting near the White House complex near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C., on Saturday. Photo by Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA
May 23 (UPI) — The White House was locked down on Saturday evening after a man approached one of its checkpoints and opened fire at the executive mansion before being shot by the Secret Service.
Around 6 p.m. a man near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue approached a White House entrance, pulled a firearm from his bag and started firing at the entrance, the Secret Service said in a statement.
Members of several media organizations, some who were reporting live, reported hearing what they thought were gunshots before the Secret Service told them to seek shelter inside the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room.
“Secret Service Police returned fire, striking the suspect, who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased,” Anthony Guglielmi, chief of communications for the Secret Service, said in the statement.
“During the shooting, one bystander was also struck by gunfire,” Guglielmi said. “No injuries were sustained by officers.”
The bystander is in serious condition, CBS News reported.
The Secret Service said that President Donald Trump, who has been working at the White House all day amid negotiations to end the Iran war, was in the White House during the shooting, “however no protectees or operations were impacted.”
Reporters on the North Lawn reported that they heard what they thought was gunfire and ducked before Secret Service agents told them to “sprint to the press briefing room” to take cover.
Both the Secret Service and FBI quickly confirmed that both agencies were investigating reports of gunfire near the White House.
The White House was briefly locked down, and The Washington Post reported that its security gates remained locked hours after the incident.
The White House checkpoint the man fired at is located at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, which is near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.
Although the suspect approached the White House, Fox News reported that he never actually got inside the general perimeter of the executive mansion.
Kevin Warsh takes the oath of office as he is sworn-in as the new chairman of the Federal Reserve by Supreme Court Associate Justice Clarence Thomas in the East Room of the White House on Friday. Photo by Yuri Gripas/UPI | License Photo
Protesters have demanded the resignation of President Rodrigo Paz, who was elected on a platform of economic reform.
Demonstrators, led by mining groups and rural unions, have clashed with law enforcement in Bolivia as tensions simmer over the country’s economic crisis, the worst in decades.
On Thursday, small explosions were heard in the midst of the protest in La Paz, credited to miners setting off small sticks of dynamite. Some protesters were reported as attempting to breach the presidential palace.
Recommended Stories
list of 3 itemsend of list
The unrest follows weeks of road blockades, as miners, farmers, teachers and rural workers express frustration over the country’s ongoing economic turmoil.
Bolivia used to be a major exporter of natural gas, but in recent years, its reserves began to shrivel, and its production has plummeted. Now, rather than being a fuel exporter, it has become a net importer, reliant on oil and natural gas from abroad.
The collapse of the natural gas industry has been coupled with dwindling supplies of foreign currency in the country. The result has been soaring inflation, supply shortages and higher prices.
Bolivians have experienced long lines for fuel, and hospitals have reported a lack of basic supplies like oxygen and medication.
Demonstrators from mining unions take part in a protest against President Rodrigo Paz’s government in La Paz, Bolivia, on May 14 [Claudia Morales/Reuters]
Centre-right leader Rodrigo Paz was elected in October last year in part on a promise to address the economic tailspin.
His victory marked a political sea change in Bolivia. For much of the past two decades, except for a brief period in 2019, the country has been governed by the Movement Towards Socialism (MAS).
The decline of MAS has been credited, in part, to the uproar over the economy.
But on Thursday, Paz likewise faced calls from protesters for his resignation, just as his MAS predecessor, Luis Arce, had.
Earlier in the day, a group of 20 miners were invited to the presidential palace to meet with Paz and discuss their demands, according to the Reuters news agency.
Ahead of the meeting, Economy Minister Jose Gabriel Espinoza said his government was “open to dialogue”.
Among the issues reportedly discussed were fuel subsidies, welfare benefits and changes to an agrarian reform measure, Law 1720, that was repealed on Wednesday after outcry.
Still, officials have refused demands that Paz step down. “The president is not going to resign,” Mauricio Zamora, the minister of public works, services and housing, said earlier this month.
Some of Paz’s allies have blamed the unrest on former President Evo Morales, a former trade union leader who continues to draw popular support in Bolivia’s rural areas.
Morales, who led Bolivia from 2006 to 2019, previously supported protests against Paz’s predecessor Arce, after splitting from MAS.
He is also the subject of an arrest warrant: Morales has been accused of statutory rape and was held in contempt of court for failing to show up to a hearing last week.
A prolific social media user, Morales posted multiple times on Thursday about the protests, accusing the government of using him as a scapegoat. He also echoed calls for officials to address the shortages of food, fuel and other basic supplies.
“They believe that the thousands of Bolivians currently protesting — in the streets and on the roads — are merely obeying a single individual,” Morales wrote in one post.
“The outraged are driven by their social conscience and their fury against a government that, from day one, betrayed its constituents and the nation.”
Staff at nearby eateries appeared muted, some barely present, as news of the Brit’s death rippled through the community.
A neighbour living right next door to the property appeared visibly shaken.
He glanced nervously towards the cordoned-off home before abruptly refusing to say a word.
One of the few locals out on the streets said: “It definitely feels quieter. I’m not sure if it’s because of his death but it could be.”
The streets of Santa Margalida are largely emptyCredit: Ian Whittaker
The villa itself – complete with two grand bedrooms, a spacious living area and traditional blue Spanish shutters – now stands at the centre of the ongoing probe.
Notably, the booking listing explicitly bans parties and events.
Despite Jake’s celebrity status, residents claim he had gone largely unnoticed during his stay – deepening the mystery surrounding his final hours.
Workers in supermarkets, cafés and restaurants said they had never seen or heard of him before the fatal incident.
A neighbour described the moment police descended on the villa, saying: “I saw a few civil guard officers come to the property and put tape across the road and doors.
“I had no idea what was going on.”
Police sources claim the reality star had been “out all night” on a “booze-filled rampage” before returning to the villa to continue partying.
One insider said: “It appears from what police have been told that he became agitated, possibly from alcohol and other substances he may have consumed.”
Residents in the sleepy town said they hadn’t noticed Jake staying thereCredit: Ian WhittakerJake posted a final video on Instagram before his deathCredit: Instagram
Locals also hinted at an undercurrent of drug activity in the area – with one resident appearing to pick up substances in an on-street deal close to Jake’s villa.
An insider added: “The hypothesis that he died after a possible combination of too much alcohol and possibly drugs is still the one that appears to be the most likely at this stage.”
Neighbours reported alarming noises in the early hours before his death – sounds so loud they shook the walls.
One told local paper Ultima Hora: “I began to hear a very loud noise, as if they were drilling something.
“They stopped after about five minutes and then I fell asleep.”
A neighbour of the villa claimed they had heard a group of people talking about drugs in English.
She tells us: “It was a crazy night. We were out for hours and hours. We were in a number of bars and stayed until they shut.
“Jake was in the mood where he just didn’t want to stop, which normally he is like that. But he doesn’t take it overboard.
“This time he went overboard with the alcohol and drugs. And then everyone went back to the AirBnb he was staying in. Quite a few other women came back to party.”
The Sun understands this is when a real shift in mood occurred, according to the partygoer.
She added: “There was like a bunch of s** going on. There was quite a lot of tension in the air, Jake seemed in an argumentative mood.
“Most of the girls left before the police arrived. Everyone was in disbelief, it was devastating and horrifying.”
Emergency services were called to the villa at around 7.30am on Wednesday morning, where Jake was found with fatal injuries.
A police source said: “We are focusing on the theory the victim died in a tragic accident after hitting his head against the glass door but it is still too early to say definitely what happened.”
Police have questioned four men and two women who were staying at the property.
No arrests have been made as investigations continue, with a post-mortem set to take place in Palma.
Jake was no stranger to Majorca, often using the island as a base for both work and leisure.
IF YOU are looking for your next holiday destination, easyJet holidays has just launched a new package to a little-known European city.
When it comes to holidays in Germany, you probably think of Berlin first – but just 28 minutes down the road you could head to Potsdam instead.
Sign up for the Travel newsletter
Thank you!
The German city of Potsdam is around 30 minutes from BerlinCredit: AlamySanssouci Palace is one of the most famous, featuring a four-level vineyardCredit: Alamy
Follow The Sun’s award-winning travel team on Instagram and Tiktok for top holiday tips and inspiration @thesuntravel.
Often dubbed the ‘Versailles of Germany’, easyJetholidays packages to Potsdam start from £244 per person.
You would fly into Berlin before hopping on a 28 minute train journey to Potsdam – “one of the most beautiful cities in Europe” according to Introducing Berlin.
Once there you won’t be short of things to see and do, with the city dating back more than 1,000 years.
It is especially known for its 17 grand palaces, including the 18th century Sanssouci Palace – the palace that gives the city its Versailles nickname.
The Rococo-style palace isn’t the biggest in the city, but does have a terraced vineyard across four levels which makes for great photos and walks.
At the other end of the spectrum is New Palace, which is the largest in the city with more than 200 rooms, including a Grotto Hall where the walls are covered in shells and semi-precious stones.
Other palaces to explore include Cecilienhof Palace, Orangery Palace, Babelsberg Palace and Marble Palace.
The city also has a Dutch Quarter with 134 historic housesCredit: Getty
Arguably the most popular quarter of the city to visit is Babelsberg, which is home to Germany’s main film studio (that’s also the oldest large-scale film studio in the world) and Filmpark Babelsberg, which is a movie-themed attraction park.
You might even recognise parts of the quarter from The Hunger Games, as some of the Hollywood movie was filmed there.
Another must-see spot is the Dutch Quarter, which is the only one left of its size and type that is preserved outside of the Netherlands, and learn about it at The Jan Bouman Haus museum.
Across cobbled streets, you can drop into a number of antiques stores and cosy pubs and cafes.
At the edge of the Dutch Quarter, you’ll find the 18th century neo-Gothic style Nauen Gate, once used by the military and merchants but today is home to a selection of restaurants.
Nearby, one of the other gates is Brandenburg Gate (not to be confused with the larger one in Berlin), which is about 20 years older than Nauen Gate.
EasyJet has launched the new city breaks for this summerCredit: Getty
If you are more of an events and activities tourist, then head to Schiffbauergasse where steamships were once built but today is an entertainment hub with several concert venues, clubs, theatres, bars and movie theatres.
There’s then also the Russian Quarter (Alexandrowka), which is home to 13 wooden, Russian-style houses that were built between 1826 and 1827 and were the homes of Russian singers of the Prussian Guards.
Another great way to explore the city is by heading on a boat tour on the River Havel, that also connects to a number of lakes in and around the city.
The city isn’t expensive either with a beer costing £3.47 on average.
EasyJet holidays offers a selection of hotels in the city, with one of the cheapest being a three-night stay at Dorint Hotel on a room only basis for £244 per person, including flights from Bristol on 11 May 2026.