Guidance

Cyclospora outbreak waning, Mich. officials ease guidance on lettuce

Aug. 6 (UPI) — The cyclosporiasis outbreak in Michigan has begun to slow as health officials say people can resume taking normal precautions when consuming lettuce and salad greens.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services announced Thursday that Michiganders can “resume routine guidance” for lettuce and salad greens.

MDHHS has lifted its recommendation to avoid bagged salad mixes.

Michigan has been a hotspot in the cyclosporiasis outbreak, reporting 12,485 cases since June.

“Since the start of this outbreak, MDHHS has remained committed to providing timely, transparent information and clear recommendations to Michigan residents,” Dr. Natasha Bagdasarian, the agency’s chief medical executive, said in a statement. “As new data has emerged, our guidance has evolved to reflect the best available evidence, helping ensure that prevention recommendations are accurate, actionable and responsive to the changing situation.”

The department said most exposures to cyclosporiasis occurred in late June or early July. On average, people exposed to cyclosporiasis begin feeling sick about seven days after exposure but can begin observing symptoms up to 14 days after exposure.

MDHHS adds that the “majority of the contaminated produce is likely no longer available for consumption.”

Cyclosporiasis is a parasitic infection that can cause sudden, watery diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite and fatigue. The outbreak first spread in Michigan and Ohio before reaching a total of 15 states.

The source of the outbreak has been traced to lettuce sourced from Taylor Farms de Mexico. Its lettuce is sold in grocery stores around the United States and restaurants including Taco Bell.

Source link

Arcutis raises 2026 net revenue guidance to $525M-$540M as ZORYVE demand expands and telehealth launches (NASDAQ:ARQT)

Earnings Call Insights: Arcutis Biotherapeutics (ARQT) Q2 2026

Management View

  • “I’m happy to report that once again, we made substantial progress across all 3 pillars during the second quarter” (President, CEO & Director Todd Watanabe), describing the company’s “grow, expand, build” strategy for ZORYVE and the broader pipeline.

Seeking Alpha’s Disclaimer: This article was automatically generated by an AI tool based on content available on the Seeking Alpha website, and has not been curated or reviewed by humans. Due to inherent limitations in using AI-based tools, the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of such articles cannot be guaranteed. This article is intended for informational purposes only. Seeking Alpha does not take account of your objectives or your financial situation and does not offer any personalized investment advice. Seeking Alpha is not a licensed securities dealer, broker or US investment adviser or investment bank.

Source link

Wisconsin judge says voters who have returned absentee ballot for state primary cannot get a new one

Wisconsin voters who have already returned their absentee ballots for the state’s primary are not allowed to void those and request a new one, a judge ruled Wednesday.

The ruling deals a blow to Democrats, who filed a lawsuit seeking to give voters a do-over because of a chaotic party primary in the governor’s race.

The ruling is almost certain to be appealed with voting already underway in the state’s primary for governor. It creates another level of uncertainty in the waning days of a primary season that saw Lt. Gov. Sara Rodriguez, who had been seen as a Democratic front-runner, drop out on July 17. A day later, Milwaukee County Executive David Crowley, who had bowed out on July 8, reentered the race.

Rodriguez’s name remains on the ballot, along with former state economic development director Missy Hughes, who dropped out in June.

More than 117,000 absentee ballots had been returned by Wednesday. Democrats were concerned that many of those might have been cast for Rodriguez.

The attorney for voters who filed the lawsuit with support from the Wisconsin Democratic Party argued in a Tuesday hearing that state law allows voters who have submitted absentee ballots to change their mind before those ballots are counted on election day.

“Voters across Wisconsin will be disenfranchised” if not allowed to do that, attorney Eduardo Castro argued before Dane County Circuit Judge David Conway.

The bipartisan Wisconsin Elections Commission had voted on July 9 to distribute guidance to clerks saying absentee voters cannot change their ballot after it has been returned. The rarely used process is known as ballot spoiling.

But Conway on Wednesday ruled that “the unambiguous language of the statute does not allow a voter to spoil an absentee ballot after it is returned.” He said the guidance issued by the elections commission to the roughly 2,000 clerks who run elections at the local level was consistent with the law.

The judge declined to issue a temporary restraining order sought by Democrats. They had wanted the judge to order the state elections commission to rescind its guidance.

Spokespeople for the Wisconsin Democratic Party and the state elections commission did not immediately return messages seeking comment on the ruling.

Ballot spoiling was the subject of a 2022 lawsuit brought by a Republican group. In that case, a Waukesha County judge agreed that the elections commission must rescind its guidance that allowed voters to cast a second ballot. But the state appeals court earlier this year vacated that ruling on technical grounds and did not rule on the merits.

The winner of the Democratic primary will advance to November’s general election, most likely against Republican U.S. Rep. Thomas P. Tiffany, who has only token opposition in his party’s primary. Democratic Gov. Tony Evers is not seeking a third term.

Democrats hope to keep the governor’s office and flip both chambers of the Legislature to gain full control of state government for the first time since 2010.

Bauer writes for the Associated Press.

Source link

Simpson Manufacturing narrows 2026 operating margin guidance to 19.7%-20.5% while lifting buyback authorization to $200M (NYSE:SSD)

Earnings Call Insights: Simpson Manufacturing Co., Inc. (SSD) Q2 2026

Management View

  • CEO Michael Olosky framed Q2 around execution through mixed construction conditions, saying, “Despite ongoing market challenges, we are making solid progress advancing our strategic priorities.”
  • On Q2 drivers, CEO

Seeking Alpha’s Disclaimer: This article was automatically generated by an AI tool based on content available on the Seeking Alpha website, and has not been curated or reviewed by humans. Due to inherent limitations in using AI-based tools, the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of such articles cannot be guaranteed. This article is intended for informational purposes only. Seeking Alpha does not take account of your objectives or your financial situation and does not offer any personalized investment advice. Seeking Alpha is not a licensed securities dealer, broker or US investment adviser or investment bank.

Source link

F5 forecasts 9%-10% FY 2026 revenue growth as Q4 EPS guidance targets $4.14-$4.26 (NASDAQ:FFIV)

Earnings Call Insights: F5, Inc. (FFIV) Q3 2026

Management View

  • CEO François Locoh-Donou framed Q3 as demand-led execution across hybrid multi-cloud, security, and AI, saying, “Q3 was another outstanding quarter. We delivered 19% product revenue growth, driving 11% total growth.” He added, “Looking ahead, we see strong demand driven by durable

Seeking Alpha’s Disclaimer: This article was automatically generated by an AI tool based on content available on the Seeking Alpha website, and has not been curated or reviewed by humans. Due to inherent limitations in using AI-based tools, the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of such articles cannot be guaranteed. This article is intended for informational purposes only. Seeking Alpha does not take account of your objectives or your financial situation and does not offer any personalized investment advice. Seeking Alpha is not a licensed securities dealer, broker or US investment adviser or investment bank.

Source link

Trump tells agencies to align with study calling for narrower childhood vaccine recommendations

President Trump on Friday gave his endorsement to a January study by the Department of Health and Human Services that calls for cutting the number of vaccines recommended for every American child.

An executive order from Trump directs federal agencies to align their policies behind the study, which recommended an overhaul long called for by Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. The study found that the United States recommends more childhood vaccines than many peer nations.

The Trump administration previously moved to narrow the number of recommended childhood vaccines in response to the report, but the move was blocked by a federal judge in Massachusetts. The administration is appealing the decision.

The study recommends vaccinating all children against 11 diseases. Several others would be recommended only for high-risk groups or when doctors recommend them in what’s called “shared decision-making.” That includes vaccines for flu, rotavirus, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, some forms of meningitis and RSV.

Trump’s order adds weight behind the study at a time when the administration had appeared to be trying to shift focus away from Kennedy’s more contentious vaccine policies and toward topics with more widespread support among medical professionals, such as healthful eating.

The order directs the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to review the study and “take any appropriate steps” to update its vaccine recommendations. It says the CDC should “provide maximum flexibility to parents and doctors” and directs agencies to make sure all actions, regulations and funding are aligned with the study.

The order adds that any changes should ensure that Americans retain their current access to vaccines.

States, not the federal government, have the authority to require vaccinations for schoolchildren. While CDC requirements often influence those state regulations, some states have begun creating their own alliances to counter the Trump administration’s guidance on vaccines.

Trump directed the Department of Health and Human Services to carry out the study in December.

Kennedy is a longtime activist against vaccines and has sought ways to inject his skepticism about the shots into national guidance, running counter to the overwhelming consensus of medical experts. Last year, he announced the CDC would no longer recommend COVID-19 vaccines for healthy children and pregnant women, though public health experts said they saw no new data to justify the change.

Last June, he fired a 17-member CDC vaccine advisory committee and later installed several of his own replacements, including vaccine skeptics.

The January report found that vaccine recommendations for American children had increased in recent decades. It also highlighted countries where no vaccines are required to attend school.

Binkley writes for the Associated Press.

Source link