engagement

U.N. commissioner says engagement with North Korea must focus on rights

United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk, seen here at a press conference in Seoul on Wednesday, called for a heightened focus on human rights issues in North Korea. Photo by Thomas Maresca/UPI

SEOUL, May 13 (UPI) — United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk on Wednesday called for an “all hands on deck” response to North Korea’s human rights crisis, saying efforts to address peace and security on the Korean Peninsula “need to be anchored in human rights.”

“The situation in the DPRK is a human rights crisis and it is high time the international community treats it as such,” Turk said at a press conference in Seoul, using the official acronym for North Korea.

“My office has continued to document patterns of ongoing gross human rights violations, some of which may amount to crimes against humanity,” he said.

Turk is on a three-day trip to South Korea, where he is meeting with civil society groups, North Korean escapees and senior government officials. It is the first visit by a U.N. human rights chief since 2015.

A 2014 U.N. Commission of Inquiry report found North Korea’s abuses to be “without parallel in the contemporary world” and recommended referring the country’s leadership to the International Criminal Court.

A follow-up assessment released last year by the U.N. human rights office said conditions in North Korea “have not improved over the past decade and, in many instances, have degraded,” citing worsening food shortages, forced labor and severe restrictions on movement and expression.

“It is clear that there needs to be accountability in all its forms, including non-judicial forms, for the grave violations that have plagued the DPRK for decades,” Turk said.

“It is equally clear that we need all hands on deck to craft fresh solutions for the way forward,” he added. “Peace and security on the Korean peninsula need to be anchored in human rights.”

Turk’s trip comes as South Korean President Lee Jae Myung pursues improved ties with Pyongyang through confidence-building measures such as restricting activist groups from sending anti-North Korean propaganda leaflets across the border.

Lee’s administration has also taken a cautious approach to North Korean rights concerns, including dissolving a Unification Ministry office focused on the issue and suspending publication of an annual rights report. Advocacy groups have criticized the moves as a “troubling shift away from support for the victims of North Korean government repression.”

Turk pushed back against the notion that dialogue with Pyongyang requires softening criticism of its rights record.

“There is no paradox in engaging while addressing human rights issues,” he said. “Engagement cannot come at the expense of human rights. That was obviously a very important part of my dialogue with the authorities here.”

In March, South Korea joined 49 other countries in co-sponsoring a U.N. Human Rights Council resolution condemning North Korea’s abuses, despite speculation Seoul might withhold support.

Turk also addressed the case of two North Korean prisoners of war captured by Ukrainian forces in January 2025 after being deployed to support Russia’s war effort.

The soldiers have expressed a desire to go to South Korea rather than return to the North, where rights groups say they could face severe punishment.

Turk said international human rights law was “very clear” on the issue.

“The obligation not to send them back to areas where they could end up being harmed” applies in their case, he said.

Turk said his office continues to seek opportunities for dialogue with North Korean officials and called next week’s visit by a North Korean women’s soccer team to South Korea “encouraging.”

“Urgent steps are needed to find ways to exchange letters, resume family contacts and reunions, and release information clarifying the whereabouts and fate of disappeared and abducted people,” he said.

On Thursday, Turk is scheduled to travel to Gwangju to deliver a keynote address at the World Human Rights Cities Forum.

Wreathes are seen amongst the statues at the Korean War Veterans Memorial during Memorial Day weekend in Washington on May 27, 2023. Memorial Day, which honors U.S. military personnel who died while in service, is held on the last Monday of May. Photo by Bonnie Cash/UPI | License Photo

Source link

Inside Zoe Kravitz’s plan to tie knot with Harry Styles after engagement disasters

HARRY STYLES’ love life is heading in just One Direction after The Sun told this week how he and Zoe Kravitz have confirmed he popped the question – and she said YES.

While he is engaged for the first time, she hopes it will be third time lucky for her — after wedding plans with two previous fiancés crashed and burned.

Harry Styles and Zoe Kravitz stroll hand-in-hand near his London home last month Credit: Eroteme
Zoe shows off a huge ring on her wedding finger in New York Credit: BackGrid

But some cheeky pals are joking US actress Zoe could turn out to be the proverbial runaway bride.

A source tells us: “There is a bit of an in-joke in Hollywood about how Zoe has been trading ‘internet boyfriends’ — a term used by Gen Z for celebrities of the moment — and how she’s becoming like Julia Roberts’ character in the hit Nineties film, who leaves all her fiancés.

“While Harry and Zoe have an impressive roster of very attractive and famous exes, neither has the best track record with long-term romances. Of course, people are asking if this will last and questioning if they will even marry.”

One Direction star turned solo ­hitmaker Harry, 32, is not new to wooing American beauties — he dated Taylor Swift between 2012 and 2013, then actress Olivia Wilde from 2021 until 2022.

‘Deeply in love’

Batman actress Zoe, 37, daughter of rocker Lenny Kravitz, was wed to US actor Karl Glusman from 2019 to 2021. She then dated Hollywood A-lister Channing Tatum, who proposed in 2023 only for the pair to split the following year.

But what people at first assumed was no more than a summer romance for Harry and Zoe, after they began dating last August, now seems far more serious.

They shared news of their engagement just days after we revealed shots of Zoe with a huge diamond ring on her wedding finger, while out in London with Harry.

She looked chic in a beige trench coat and baseball cap emblazoned with the word Kiss — merchandise from Harry’s new collection for his latest No1 album Kiss All The Time. Disco, Occasionally.

Earlier last month, the pair had been pictured strolling hand-in-hand near to Harry’s home in Hampstead, North West London, as she stepped out in her trusty trench coat and he kept a low profile in navy slacks, coat and cap.

Harry is said to have popped the question with a ring worth up to £500,000 and it is thought Zoe could make her first official appearance with the bling, and her fiancé, at the star-studded Met Gala ball in New York on Monday. 

We previously told how Harry first sparked engagement rumours when he and Zoe flew to the Bahamas just after Christmas to stay in her dad’s home there.

A source said at the time: “If it wasn’t an engagement, then it was something that shows they are very much committed to each other.”

Harry is said to have popped the question with a ring worth up to £500,000, as Zoe could make her first official appearance with the bling at the Met ball on Monday Credit: Getty
Harry plants a kiss on Zoe as she gets into a car in London last month Credit: Eroteme

Speculation mounted when Zoe was spotted wearing a ring on her left hand from jewellery designer Jessica McCormack — but it turned out she was an ambassador for the brand. Then Zoe later revealed her bling from Harry.

It might seem like a whirlwind romance but pals report the lovebirds are already seriously thinking about the wedding day — and even starting a family.

Zoe certainly has history with finding The One, or hoping she has.

She was engaged to Channing Tatum the year before she met Harry and fans have not been able to resist pointing out how similar her ring from Harry is to the one given to her by Channing.

Zoe with Channing Tatum, who proposed in 2023 but the pair split the following year Credit: BackGrid
The engagement ring Channing bought her, which is similar to her new one Credit: BackGrid

Before her romantic misfire with the actor, Zoe had been wed to Karl Glusman after they said “I do” at her dad’s home in Paris in June 2019 — but she filed for divorce just 18 months later.

Now, we are sure that what she has with Harry is very different and that Zoe is determined not only to make it down the aisle, but also make the relationship last.

A source close to Zoe says: “She is incredibly excited about Harry asking her to marry him.

“She had a strong feeling for weeks that something was coming and now that it’s happened she truly believes he is the love of her life — her soulmate.

“Over the past few weeks, she’s been the happiest she’s been in a long time. She feels deeply in love and grateful to be with someone she sees as the perfect partner — the best companion in every sense.

‘Wedding outfits’

“There’s a real sense of relief for her, too. In past relationships, especially engagements that didn’t work out, she ­carried doubts and fears.

“But Harry has reassured her. He’s made it clear he wants to build a life with her and make her his wife as soon as possible.

“After past heartbreaks, and relationships that didn’t meet her expectations, she now feels like everything has fallen into place

Zoe with Karl Glusman at an Oscars bash in 2019 before they split two years later Credit: Getty
Taylor Swift and Harry snapped in New York’s Central Park in 2012 Credit: Getty

“She’s always believed in love, partnership and building a life with someone, but she never fully felt that connection until Harry.

“To her, their relationship feels like destiny — the beginning of the rest of their lives together.”

Indeed, Zoe has never been shy of commitment. After her first marriage ended, she told GQ mag in 2022: “You meet someone who’s amazing and wants to marry you, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I

“If there’s nothing wrong, then why wouldn’t you do it? You love them and that’s what you do.”

Harry, meanwhile, has always been quite open to the idea of ­marriage — and in 2020, when asked in conversation with US broadcaster Howard Stern if he could ever picture being “married and devoted to one person”, he reckoned he would welcome that.

Harry said: “It’s definitely what I would like to do. I’d like to think I would want that at some point.” In 2018, asked about starting a ­family, he said: “I can’t wait for a time when that’s a thing for me. I look forward to that in my life.”

Becoming a mother might not have been on Zoe’s agenda in the past, but an insider tell us: “She has even begun thinking about having children — something she wasn’t particularly excited about in the past.

“Now, Zoe feels ready for the next steps — marriage, building a peaceful home together and starting a family.”

Meanwhile, Harry has not attended the annual haute-couture Met Gala since 2019, but Zoe is part of the host committee this year, so for them to make a grand display of their love seems very possible.

We are told a wedding may take place in the South of France — or Italy, as it is special for Harry and Zoe after they spent time together in Rome last summer.

Our source says: “Zoe is already thinking about the wedding. She wants something unique and has started discussing ideas for outfits, themes and designs.

“She’s torn between a very intimate ceremony — possibly even eloping — and a larger celebration with all their loved ones, though a bigger wedding may ultimately win out. She’s particularly drawn to the idea of a summer wedding in Europe — possibly France.

“She talks about it all the time — beautiful locations like Paris or the French Riviera, lots of flowers, stunning outfits, and a ­celebration that lasts all day and night, surrounded by love.”

Zoe grew up in the limelight thanks to her rocker dad, now 61, and US actress mum Lisa Bonet, 58, who starred in US sitcom The Cosby Show. She was born in LA and, after her parents split when she was 11, moved to Miami to live with Lenny.

Harry’s start in life was very different — he was a ­regular kid growing up in the Cheshire village of Holmes ­Chapel before he tried out for The X Factor at 16 and his life changed overnight.

Our source close to Zoe adds: “Harry feels like a dream come true for her, and marrying him would be the perfect culmination of everything she’s wanted.

“She envisions walking down the aisle and sharing the most meaningful day of her life with him. She often says her heart belongs entirely to Harry.”

Source link

Jacqueline Jossa poses with wedding and engagement rings back ON despite split from Dan Osborne

JACQUELINE Jossa has posed for a new snap wearing both her wedding and engagement rings – despite splitting from husband Dan Osborne. 

The Sun revealed last month how EastEnders actress Jacqueline, 33, and former Towie star Dan, 34, had called time on their relationship after 13 years

Jacqueline shared a new snap posing with both her wedding and engagement rings Credit: Instagram
The Sun revealed last month how she and Dan had split after 13 years Credit: Getty Images

Today Jacqueline took to social media to share a new mirror selfie, showing her looking straight-faced as she snapped the photo. 

The Lauren Branning star was dressed casually in a white T-shirt and some high-waisted jeans, with her rings visible on her left hand. 

She has become known for repeatedly reconciling with her other half — despite his flaws.

Their marriage has been rocked by multiple cheating allegations against Dan, who admitted in 2020: “I’ve made mistakes.”

CRYPTIC POST

Jacqueline Jossa shares cryptic heartbreak post amid Dan Osborne split


FAMILY TIME

Jacqueline Jossa escapes to Cornwall for family trip after Dan Osborne split

However, having given their relationship multiple chances, friends claim Jac has accepted it is doomed after living separate lives for months.

A source close to Dan told The Sun: “Everyone knows they’ve had their troubles, but after spending some time apart this year, they’ve decided to make the split permanent.

“Their two daughters are their main priority.”

It’s claimed former Towie star Dan moved out permanently in February into the house he was said to have bought behind Jac’s back in 2024.

His “secret” Essex pad came to light after the on-off couple announced last March that they had split. The following month, they appeared to rekindle their marriage on a “make or break” family holiday to Mexico.

Our insider revealed: “After all Jac’s been through, she’s finally had enough. They’ve been living separate lives all this year and she’s over it.

“There’s only so many times she can put herself through living in limbo and taking him back.

“She has mentally checked out and Dan has panicked.”

EastEnders star Jacqueline is said to have finally ‘had enough’ and called time on the relationship Credit: BBC/Jack Barnes/Kieron McCarron

Source link