dozens

One civilian, dozens of first responders injured in NYC shipyard explosions

May 22 (UPI) — One civilian has died and 36 others — many of whom were first responders — were injured on Friday after a series of explosions in a New York City shipyard.

Two explosions occurred on a barge Friday afternoon along the North Shore of Staten Island, roughly an hour apart, with firefighters and another civilian also injured.

That area of the North Shore is mostly populated with industrial businesses, including various boating and barge companies, The New York Times and WPIX reported.

“What unfolded was a fast-moving emergency that claimed one life and left more than 30 civilians and first responders injured,” New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani said in a statement on X.

“The fire is now under control,” he said. “We mourn the life that was lost today, and we hold their family in our hearts.”

The first explosion was heard just before 3:30 p.m. EDT, which saw more than 200 firefighters and medical personnel respond to the dry-docked barge.

The New York Post reported that people were trapped in confined spaces aboard the barge and, minutes before the second explosion, fire officials called for assistance for those already trapped.

In addition to the civilian who died and the injured civilian, CBS News reported that at least 34 Fire Department of New York firefighters had been injured, two of whom were significantly injured.

In his statement, Mamdani asked New Yorkers to keep the injured and their families in their thoughts and noted the sacrifices of firefighters who responded to the emergency.

“To the first responders who rushed toward danger without hesitation: thank you,” Mamdani said.

“As you do every day, you put yourselves in harm’s way so others could escape,” he said. “Our city owes you a debt of gratitude.”

Source link

Police shoot gunman accused of firing dozens of shots near Harvard

May 11 (UPI) — A gunman armed with an assault-style rifle fired dozens of rounds at vehicles as he walked Cambridge’s iconic Memorial Drive, seriously wounding two people before being shot by state police and an armed bystander, authorities said.

The suspect, identified as 46-year-old Tyler Brown of Boston, suffered multiple gunshot wounds to his extremities and was taken for treatment to a Boston hospital, where he remains under police custody in the intensive care unit.

The shooting began around 1 p.m. EDET, authorities said.

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan told reporters during a Monday evening press conference the suspect was firing erratically at vehicles as he walked east down the center of the famous drive that banks Charles River near Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Two males in separate cars driving the street, one a ride-share driver, were shot, suffering life-threatening injuries, she said, adding: “That does not begin to address the trauma experienced by everybody who was out there: Those individuals on the river walking, pushing baby carriages, riding by.”

“We know that that weapon had the capacity to have struck people on the other side of that river,” she said.

The suspect fired upwards of 60 rounds, striking “at least a dozen” vehicles, Ryan said, adding that people were jumping from their cars and scattering in all directions, unsure of where to find safety. Some hid under their vehicles, she said.

A Massachusetts State Police trooper responding to the shooting and a civilian, a former Marine in legal possession of a firearm, confronted the suspect, who is accused of continuing to fire, striking the cruiser the trooper had exited.

The shooting ended when the trooper and civilian opened fire on the suspect.

“Clearly people’s lives were at risk,” Ryan said.

Ryan said they expect to charge Brown with two counts of armed assault with intent to murder, firearms offenses and potentially other offenses to be determined by the ongoing investigation.

Brown was moving to Cambridge and was under the supervision of either the Massachusetts Probation Department or the Department of Parole, Ryan said, adding that his criminal record, if there is one, will be addressed at his arraignment.

Boston Police had initially notified Cambridge Police at 1:06 p.m. of a person observed acting erratically while of a rifle, according to Ryan, who told reporters that they are still investigating how he came to be on the drive.

Cambridge Mayor Sumbul Siddiqui said she is “deeply grateful” to the first responders who acted, stating their “swift action protected our community during a dangerous and rapidly evolving situation.”

“My thoughts are with the individuals who were injured, those affected by today’s violence and victims of gun violence everywhere,” she said in a statement.

“I recognize how frightening this incident was for community members, and your safety is my first concern.”

Source link

Dozens of British Ryanair passengers miss Spain flight due to ‘airport delays’

68 Ryanair passengers missed their flight to Edinburgh from Lanzarote on Monday, reportedly due to issues with the airport’s new Entry/Exit System (EES) used to register third-country nationals including British travellers

Almost 70 Ryanair passengers missed their flight to Edinburgh from Lanzarote on Monday, reportedly due to delays at border control.

Those travelling back to the Scottish capital were left stranded at Lanzarote Airport on May 4, owing to passport control system failures, with several flights believed to have been affected.

A total of 68 holidaymakers failed to reach the boarding gate before it closed, due to problems with the airport’s new Entry/Exit System (EES), which is used to register third-country nationals – including British citizens.

READ MORE: MV Hondius hantavirus outbreak live: Human transmission fears as three deadREAD MORE: Madeleine McCann suspect Christian Brueckner sends chilling warning to UK police who want to put him on trial

Ryanair confirmed all passengers who presented at the boarding gate before departure were accommodated and travelled without incident.

According to local publication Canarian Weekly, the disruption affected those travelling to destinations outside the European Union, reports Edinburgh Live.

Under the EES, travellers are required to provide biometric data, including fingerprints and a photograph, to establish a digital record valid for three years, replacing the traditional passport stamping system.

The system is intended to streamline passport checks and track how long visa-free travellers remain within the EU, however it has been beset by delays, with lengthy queues reported at passport control across various locations.

Now Lanzarote Airport has become the latest to face disruption. Operations were reportedly thrown into chaos by 11am, “causing delays and confusion in departure areas”. Canarian Weekly reports that the disruption was triggered by “a failure in the passport control system” according to National Police sources, while other sources “suggested a wider disconnection issue across Europe, which slowed systems at multiple airports”. The issue was resolved by midday.

Ryanair has recently pressured EU governments to abandon the EES during the peak travel season, writing to administrations in 29 countries demanding they halt the new entry requirements.

The airline’s chief operations officer Neal McMahon said: “Governments across Europe are attempting to roll out a half-baked IT system in the middle of the busiest travel season of the year, and passengers are paying the price, being forced to endure hours long passport control queues and in some cases, missing flights.

“The solution is simple and already provided for under EU law (EU Reg. 2025/1534) – Governments should suspend EES until September when the peak summer travel season has subsided, just as Greece has done. This would allow passengers – many of whom are travelling with young families – a smoother airport experience for their summer holidays.”

The Spanish National Police Force were contacted for a response.

Source link

Explosion at China fireworks plant kills 26, dozens hurt

May 5 (UPI) — An explosion at a fireworks factory in China’s Hunan Province has killed 26 people and injured dozens more, state media reported Tuesday, prompting Chinese President Xi Jinping to call for those responsible to be held accountable.

The blast occurred Monday afternoon at the Huasheng Fireworks Manufacturing and Display plant in the southern city of Liuyang, the state-run Xinhua News Agency reported. Authorities said 26 people were killed and 61 injured at a press conference Tuesday.

Five rescue teams totaling nearly 500 personnel were dispatched to the scene, while an area with a radius of nearly two miles was evacuated due to the risk of further explosions.

Rescuers set up firebreaks and sprayed water over the site to “prevent secondary accidents during the rescue,” Xinhua said.

Mayor Chen Bozhang of provincial capital Changsha told reporters Tuesday that search and rescue operations were largely complete, adding that real-time air and water monitoring showed no signs of environmental contamination.

The person in charge of the fireworks company has been taken into custody, Chen said.

Aerial footage from Chinese state broadcaster CCTV showed widespread damage, with smoldering factory buildings leveled across a wide area.

Xi on Tuesday ordered a prompt investigation into the accident and said “those responsible must be held accountable,” state media reported. He also called for stronger risk screening and hazard controls in key sectors, along with enhanced public safety management.

The blast follows other deadly fireworks-related accidents in China in recent years. Ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations in February, an explosion and fire at a fireworks store in Jiangsu Province killed eight, prompting officials to call for increased safety checks on pyrotechnics.

In 2019, another fireworks factory explosion in Liuyang killed 13 people. The city is the hub of China’s fireworks manufacturing industry, accounting for about 60% of the domestic market and roughly 70% of exports, according to state media.

Source link

3 dead, dozens injured after monster truck crash at show in Colombia

May 4 (UPI) — At least three people were killed and more than 38 others were injured during a monster truck show in the city of Popayán, southwestern Colombia, after one of the vehicles lost control and struck part of the audience, local authorities reported.

According to footage shared on social media and reports from Colombian outlets such as El Tiempo, the vehicle veered off the track following a maneuver, knocked down metal safety barriers and crashed into spectators.

Popayán Mayor Juan Carlos Muñoz confirmed the preliminary toll in a message posted on X.

“We deeply regret the accident …)which has, preliminarily, left more than 38 people injured and 3 dead,” he said.

Among those killed was reportedly a minor, according to local press reports. Several of the injured were also believed to be children.

Colonel Julián Castañeda, commander of the Popayán police, told El Tiempo that the crash was likely caused by a mechanical failure.

“It was a private event. There was a mechanical failure, it left the track. The vehicle accelerated, it could not be stopped,” he said. He added that the driver of the truck was injured but is in stable condition.

Local media identified the driver as Sonia Dilma Segura, who is reportedly the only woman in Latin America authorized to operate this type of vehicle.

Cauca Gov. Octavio Guzmán expressed condolences and said the injured were taken to public hospitals in the city. “We deeply regret the accident,” he said on X.

A local official cited by Colombian media said the event had the required permits, including liability insurance, and that the organizing company had experience in this type of show.



Source link