COPS are warning beachgoers not to dig holes “deeper than the knees” due to the risk of serious injury or even death.
Police have said that while the activity might be good fun, families should be wary of digging too deep and trapping people or pets in the sand.
Cops are warning beachgoers not to dig deep holes in the sand due to safety reasonsCredit: Mablethorpe CoastguardCoastguards advise people to fill in holes after digging themCredit: Mablethorpe Coastguard
In a statement on Monday, cops said: “Digging on the beach is part of the fun, but large, deep holes in soft sand can be incredibly dangerous.
“A hole can collapse without warning, trapping anyone inside under heavy sand in seconds.”
Sign up for the Travel newsletter
Thank you!
They added that even “fit and healthy adults” can get buried and struggle to escape, as they advised the public to “keep holes shallow”.
The update continued: “Deep holes also pose a serious trip hazard for children, beachgoers, and emergency services responding to incidents.
Deep holes can pose a serious threat to beachgoers – especially if the sand is wetCredit: Mablethorpe CoastguardLast year, coastguards filled in a hole on a Lincolnshire beach that was nearly two metres deepCredit: Mablethorpe Coastguard
“What takes minutes to dig can take seconds to turn tragic.”
Filling in holes before leaving is essential for ensuring the beach stays safe, they added.
It follows an incident at Skegness in Lincolnshire on Saturday, where a large hole ranging approximately three to four feet wide and 12 to 15 feet deep was discovered.
HM Coastguard Skegness said at the time: “Whoever dug this hole was incredibly lucky that it didn’t collapse in on them.
“Sand is surprisingly heavy and can give way without warning, especially in deep holes.”
It added: “A collapse can trap someone beneath the sand and may lead to serious injury or even death.
“Deep holes can also be a hazard to other beach users who may not see them.”
STORAGE Wars legend Darrell Sheets left behind a chilling suicide note blaming online bullying before taking his own life.
Newly released police documents have shed shocking new light on the 66-year-old’s death as police records reveal his final days.
Sign up for the Showbiz newsletter
Thank you!
Newly released police documents have shed shocking new light on the 66-year-old’s deathCredit: GettyThe reality star left behind a chilling suicide noteCredit: Getty
Officials responded to reports of a deceased person at Darrell’s home at 2am on April 22, according to a statement from Lake Havasu City Police Department obtained by The U.S. Sun.
He was pronounced dead at the scene after his girlfriend called 911 reporting she had heard a gunshot
Investigators have found a handwritten note hidden inside a black basket in a bathroom closet near where he was found dead.
According to the report, obtained by TMZ, detectives said the note appeared to reference the online abuse Darrell had been facing
Police summarised the message as reading: “I could not take anymore the Facebook bulling, f*** you [redacted]”.
Investigators also noted the handwriting appeared shaky.
The heartbreaking discovery came as cops pieced together Darrell’s final hours, revealing a disturbing picture of stress, sleepless nights and family turmoil before the fatal gunshot.
The auction legend was a staple on the hit A&E show until he stepped away in 2023Credit: AlamyDarrell, pictured with his ex-wife Kimber, appeared alongside his son Brandon on the show for 9 seasons
Darrell’s girlfriend told investigators he had struggled to sleep on the night he died and got out of bed in the early hours before walking into the doorway of his office
She said he told her to “go back to bed” – before moments later a single gunshot rang out.
Police records also reveal growing family tension in the days before his death.
Darrell’s girlfriend said his son had recently visited and the pair became embroiled in a heated argument over “family drama” before he left.
How to get help
EVERY 90 minutes in the UK a life is lost to suicide
It doesn’t discriminate, touching the lives of people in every corner of society – from the homeless and unemployed to builders and doctors, reality stars and footballers.
It’s the biggest killer of people under the age of 35, more deadly than cancer and car crashes.
And men are three times more likely to take their own life than women.
Yet it’s rarely spoken of, a taboo that threatens to continue its deadly rampage unless we all stop and take notice, now.
If you, or anyone you know, needs help dealing with mental health problems, the following organisations provide support:
She claimed the situation worsened after Darrell received text messages from his daughter-in-law accusing her of being suspicious and stealing money from him.
The messages allegedly left the reality star visibly upset.
In a follow-up interview, his girlfriend told detectives the arguments between Darrell and his son became so intense she left the house after the son was yelling at him.
She claimed Darrell later told her he did not want to be alone with his son and had been “sad as hell” following the confrontation, believing he had let him down.
Investigators also revealed Darrell had been battling severe insomnia for months and was under huge pressure in the run-up to his death.
His girlfriend said he often struggled to sleep and was dealing with overwhelming stress – but insisted he had never spoken about harming himself and that their relationship remained strong.
The medical examiner later ruled his death a suicide.
Following the tragedy, his son Brandon Sheets broke his silence with an emotional tribute, calling Darrell “the best dad a son could ask for”.
He also revealed plans to reopen his father’s Arizona store, Show Me Your Junk, to continue the family legacy.
The mention of Facebook bullying in Darrell’s final note has also raised fresh questions, after fellow Storage Wars star Rene Nezhoda previously claimed Darrell had been facing relentless online harassment before his death.
Police investigated the bullying claims as they worked to understand what led to the TV star’s devastating final moments.
Darrell appeared on Storage Wars as a main castmember from 2010 to 2021 and was known as “The Gambler” for his high-risk purchases.
He continued to make appearances on seasons 14 and 15 as a guest buyer before leaving the show for good.
Darrell was joined by his son, Brandon, for nine seasons on Storage Wars.
Darrell also made appearances on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno and on Rachael Ray’s cooking show.
After retiring from Storage Wars, he moved to Lake Havasu, Arizona, where he operated an antique shop called Show Me Your Junk.
He previously had health issues, including a heart attack in 2019 that he had surgery to recover from.
UK: For help and support, call the Samaritans for free from a UK phone, completely anonymously, on 116 123 or go to samaritans.org.
US: If you or someone you know needs help, the national suicide and crisis lifeline in the U.S. is available by calling or texting 988. There is also an online chat at 988lifeline.org.
That was what the backup point guard wrote on X, followed by three laughing-until-crying emojis, soon after he was stopped by two police officers who apparently did not recognize him as a Knicks player during the team’s championship parade in Lower Manhattan.
A video that has gone viral on social media shows Kolek skipping along the parade route next to a barrier meant to keep fans off that part of the street, using one hand to hold a beer and the other to slap hands with fans.
At one point, an officer stepped in front of Kolek to block his path while another gently grabbed him by the shoulders and motioned for the confused player to go back in the direction from which he came.
An unidentified man who had been accompanying Kolek quickly stepped in, and then officers allowed him to pass.
To be fair to the officers, Kolek — wearing a Knicks hat, Knicks T-shirt and gym shorts — looked like he could have been one of the estimated 2 million fans attending the parade.
And he’s not the most recognizable player on the team. Kolek has made one start in 103 game appearances during his two years with the Knicks, averaging almost 10 minutes a game. He did not make it into an NBA Finals game but played in eight postseason games this year, averaging 3.5 points and 6.6 minutes a game.
It doesn’t appear that the very brief run-in with the law dampened Kolek’s mood, based on the parade videos he posted on his Instagram. One showed his view of the massive crowds on either side of the street; another showed him throwing confetti while singing along to “New York, New York;” and another showed him standing outside the railing on a moving float while dancing and cheering.
And, yes, one showed the incident with parade security, along with the caption “I hoop bro I swear” and four laughing-until-crying emojis.
TOP Gun: Maverick actor James Handy has been stabbed to death with his girlfriend’s son telling cops in a 911 call: “I just killed the man”.
The 81-year-old, who also starred in Logan and Jumanji, was found unconscious with multiple stab wounds to his chest on his front yard.
Sign up for the Showbiz newsletter
Thank you!
James Handy, pictured in TV series NYPD Blue, has been stabbed to deathCredit: GettySurveillance footage from outside the home caught an unknown man walking past around the time of the stabbingCredit: FOX 11
Authorities rushed to the scene in Tarzana, Los Angeles on Wednesday morning at around 9.30am after receiving a chilling 911 call.
Police revealed a voice at the end of the line said: “I am the son of man, I just killed the man of sin.”
Officials rushed to James’ home on Erwin Street and raced him to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Some time later, 44-year-old Michael Gledhill – the son of James’ partner – waved down officers as they searched near the home.
James, pictured in TV show X files, was found with multiple stab wounds outside his homeCredit: Channel 4Police swarmed round James’ home early on Wednesday morning after receiving a chilling 911 callCredit: ABC7Police are continuing to investigate the deathCredit: ABC 7The actor (far left) also starred in Arachnophobia in 1990Credit: Alamy
Gledhill confessed to carrying out the fatal attack and said he was the one who phoned the police, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.
Gledhill was arrested for murder and taken to Van Nuys Jail with his bail set at $2,000,000.
The LAPD statement said: “Detectives believe this is an isolated incident and there appears to be no danger to the public at this time.”
A motive for the attack remains unclear.
Most read in Entertainment
James (far right) in NYPD BlueCredit: GettyJames (center) had a major role in 1986’s Popeye DoyleCredit: Alamy
Neighbors have claimed Gledhill and James were overheard arguing overnight.
The star’s talent agent, Pam Ellis-Evenas, paid tribute saying: “With great sadness I can confirm that the gentleman who was attacked and killed on Wednesday in Tarzana was the actor James Handy.”
James’ career spanned almost five decades with his most recent major role being in Tom Cruise’s Hollywood sequel Top Gun: Maverick in 2022.
He played the role of bartender Jimmy.
Another memorable role for James came in 2017 superhero flick Logan as he played the doctor who treated lead man Hugh Jackman.
James also starred in 1995 cult classic Jumanji alongside Robin Williams, Bonnie Hunt and Kirsten Dunst.
His career featured several TV credits such as the role of Arthur Devlin in eight episodes of Alias and recurring stints on Melrose Place and NYPD Blue.
Similarly, the Sunday Telegraph is dominated by an image of an emotional Gabriel, and reads: “Arsenal’s Champions League dream dies”. It leads with a story accusing UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer of “watering down” checks on welfare benefits claimants, as new rules come into effect this week which will allow people to receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for four years after their initial assessment, and then a further six years after a review. The paper says claimants face reviews as often as every nine months under the current system. It writes that officials are warning that urgent changes to the welfare assessment system are needed, with the record number of people claiming PIPs costing the British taxpayer £26bn a year.