cancellations

Kennedy Center cancellations mount as Philip Glass drops out

World-renowned composer Philip Glass abruptly canceled June’s world premiere of Symphony No. 15 “Lincoln” at the Kennedy Center, saying its message does not align with the vision for the venue under the Trump administration.

“Symphony No. 15 is a portrait of Abraham Lincoln, and the values of the Kennedy Center today are in direct conflict with the message of the Symphony. Therefore, I feel an obligation to withdraw this Symphony premiere from the Kennedy Center under its current leadership,” Glass wrote Tuesday in a letter to the board that was shared with The Times.

“We have no place for politics in the arts, and those calling for boycotts based on politics are making the wrong decision,” Roma Daravi, vice president of media relations at the Kennedy Center, said in response.

President Trump has served as board chair since early last year when he fired the existing board and appointed former ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, as president. The newly installed board promptly installed Trump in his current position. The president’s pursuit of a deeply conservative agenda for the arts unleashed unprecedented chaos at the nation’s premiere performing arts center, resulting in massive upheaval and wave after wave of prominent artist cancellations.

The news that Glass was calling off his appearance also caught off guard the National Symphony Orchestra. The NSO commissioned the symphony in 2022 for the Kennedy Center’s 50th anniversary, and Glass was late to deliver. The symphony was scheduled to be performed with the NSO on June 12 and 13.

“We have great admiration for Philip Glass and were surprised to learn about his decision at the same time as the press,” Jean Davidson, the orchestra’s executive director, said in an email.

The news comes amid a growing chorus of high-profile cancellations that have occurred since the center’s board voted last month to rename the venue the Trump-Kennedy Center, and quickly added the president’s name above that of Kennedy’s on the exterior of the building.

Jazz drummer Chuck Redd pulled out of a Christmas Eve show and the jazz group the Cookers canceled two New Year’s Eve performances. Banjo player Béla Fleck also stepped away from concerts with the NSO and “Wicked” composer Stephen Schwartz said he no longer plans to host a May 15 gala at the center.

The arts world was rocked by the news earlier this month that the Washington National Opera’s board approved a resolution to leave the venue it has occupied since 1971. Kennedy Center leadership, including Grenell, quickly shot back that it was the board that asked the WNO to depart.

“We have spent millions of dollars to support the Washington Opera’s exclusivity and yet they were still millions of dollars in the hole — and getting worse,” Grenell wrote on social media.

Most recently, the center’s website announced that soprano Renée Fleming would no longer perform in two scheduled shows. “A scheduling conflict” was the reason cited, but speculation about the opera star’s departure swirled as the center’s artistic losses mounted amid widely reported plummeting ticket sales.

During the recent upheaval, arts watchers have begun wondering about the future of the NSO, which, along with the recently departed WNO, represents the twin pillars of artistic programming at the center.

According to Daravi, the NSO isn’t pulling out of the venue.

“The relationship is strong, and we have a wonderful season here with Maestro [Gianandrea Noseda] in his 10th year leading the NSO,” Daravi wrote in an email last week, noting the “record-breaking success at the recent Gala benefiting the NSO which launched the new season. The event raised $3.45 million, marking an all-time fundraising record for the organization.”

On Monday Trump sought to boost his financial management of the venue in a Truth Social post that read, “People don’t realize that the Trump Kennedy Center suffered massive deficits for many years and, like everything else, I merely came in to save it, and, if possible, make it far better that ever before!”

The center’s calendar is looking increasingly sclerotic as big names continue to defect, with the NSO providing much-needed padding as it moves on in the face of unending change.

Source link

This airport has been named the UK’s worst for flight cancellations

THERE’S nothing worse than seeing the word ‘cancelled’ appear whilst waiting for a flight.

If you live in fear of a flight being cancelled last minute these UK airports saw the highest cancellation rate of 2025 – and Southampton Airport was at the very top.

Southampton Airport saw the most cancellations in 2025Credit: Alamy
A report found that three per cent of its flights were cancelled in 2025Credit: Alamy

The regional airport in the south of England recorded the highest cancellation rate of all major UK airports last year, according to AirAdvisor.

AirAdvisor analysed Civil Aviation Authrity (AA) data across 20 of the busiest UK airports to figure out which is the least reliable.

For the second year in a row, Southampton Airport experienced the highest amount of flight cancellations.

The report found that three per cent of its flights were cancelled in 2025.

HOL YEAH

Sun readers’ top places to eat in Devon – beach pubs to unicorn ice cream shops


SUSSED OUT

Sun readers’ fave family spots in Sussex – top-rated beaches to pirate festivals

Although, this is an improvement on 2024 when 3.3 per cent of services were grounded.

Data revealed that Southampton Airport had almost three times as many flight cancellations as the national average – which is 1.09 per cent.

A spokesperson for Southampton Airport told Sun Travel: “An airline’s decision to reluctantly cancel a flight can be due to a number of factors including weather issues, air traffic congestion, delayed arrivals or technical issues with aircraft.

“We will continue to work with our airline partners and their handling agents to support them in their operations.”

Airlines that operate out of Southampton Airport include Loganair, easyJet, KLM, Blue Islands and Aer Lingus.

These airlines fly to the likes of the Channel Islands, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Spain, Switzerland, France and other UK cities like Manchester and Glasgow.

From Southampton Airport passengers can fly to Europe and within the UKCredit: Alamy

Just below Southampton Airport was Aberdeen Airport which had 1.6 per cent of its flights cancelled last year.

The UK’s busiest airport, London Heathrow also “exceeded the national average for cancellations” according to AirAdvisor.

Between January and November 2025, 1.4 per cent of flights at Heathrow were cancelled.

At the other end, Bournemouth Airport recorded the lowest cancellation rate of any major UK airport.

Between January and October 2026, it saw just 0.17 per cent of its scheduled services cancelled.

Other airports that performed well last year included Luton, Stansted, East Midlands International, Bristol and Belfast International, where cancellations were less than half the national average.

Anton Radchenko, CEO of AirAdvisor, said: “Air passengers in the UK can breathe a sigh of relief as we head into 2026, with most trend data suggesting that flight cancellation rates at British airports are decreasing.” 

For more on airports, this mega £27billion airport is set to open in 2032.

And a major UK airport introduces new liquid rules after £1billion upgrade.

The list of airports that reported the most and the least cancellations and delays…

These airports had the highest cancellation rates…

  1. Southampton Airport
  2. Aberdeen Airport
  3. Glasgow Airport
  4. London City Airport
  5. Heathrow Airport

These airport had the fewest cancellations…

  1. Bournemouth Airport
  2. Luton Airport
  3. Stansted Airport
  4. Belfast International Airport
  5. Bristol Airport

The airports that saw the highest rate of cancellations last year have been revealedCredit: Getty

Source link