axes

Major airline axes more than 130 flights from the UK

A MAJOR airline has axed over a hundred flights from London Heathrow and Gatwick.

Qatar Airways has made big changes to its spring schedule and has cancelled 131 upcoming flights from its rota.

Qatar Airways will reduce its upcoming services from London Heathrow and GatwickCredit: Alamy
The airline provides Brits with services to DohaCredit: Alamy

Qatar Airways flies from both London Heathrow and Gatwick with direct services to Qatar’s capital, Doha.

Between the months of April and June 2026, there had been 951 departures from the two London airports to Doha.

But according to the new schedule, it now has just 818 outbound flights, which is a reduction of 133 flights across the three months.

SimpleFlying found that on week starting May 1, 2026, Qatar Airways has planned for 59 weekly departures rather than 70.

GO SEA IT

£9.50 holiday spot with shipwrecks, seals offshore & horseshoe-shaped waterfalls


DREAMY DEALS

Our pick of the best long haul holidays for short haul prices

During that week at Gatwick, there will be 11 weekly departures, which is reduced from the previous double daily service at 22 flights.

That same route will continue to have 11 weekly flights throughout September.

At the same time in London Heathrow, Qatar Airways will provide 48 flights rather than 59 – a loss of 11 services.

SimplyFlying added that it’s “believed that it’ll hand slots back to British Airways”.

Qatar Airways and British Airways are part of the Oneworld alliance, meaning BA effectively serves Doha on the carrier’s behalf.

Currently, there are no changes planned to BA’s flight offering.

The route between London and the capital of Qatar takes on average six hours and 45 minutes.

Other changes Qatar Airways has made changes to its upcoming schedule. include suspending flights to Aleppo.

It will also reduce services to other destinations like Peshawar, San Francisco, Sialkot and Venice.

Qatar Airways also plans fewer London services from July to October – but this is a decrease of only two per cent.

Sun Travel has gone to Qatar Airways for comment.

For more on Qatar Airways, here’s what one Sun Travel writer made of the airline when she flew with them in business class.

The airline was even named the best for the ninth time in the Skytrax Awards last year.

Qatar Airways will reduce the number of flights departing London HeathrowCredit: Alamy

Source link

Panama Supreme Court axes port contract with Hong Kong

A cargo ship leaves a lock on the Panama Canal in Panama City, Panama, on Jan. 19. The Supreme Court of Panama invalidated the contract of a Hong Kong subsidiary to operate ports on the Panama Canal, ruling it is unconstitutional. Photo by Carlos Lemos/EPA

Jan. 30 (UPI) — The Supreme Court of Panama invalidated the contract of a Hong Kong subsidiary to operate ports on the Panama Canal, ruling it is unconstitutional.

In a Thursday ruling the high court said the terms of Panama Ports Company’s contract that allowed it to operate the ports of Balboa and Cristobal violated the country’s constitution. Panama Ports Company is a subsidiary of CK Hutchinson Holding, a company based in Hong Kong.

The court said the ruling was made after “extensive deliberation.”

Panama Ports Company has been operating two of Panama’s five ports since 1997. It was founded in Hong Kong and is not owned by the Chinese government.

The company argues that the court’s ruling lacks a legal basis and “jeopardises not only PPC and its contract but also the well-being and stability of thousands of Panamanian families who depend directly and indirectly on port activity.” It said that it has invested more than $1.8 billion in the ports’ infrastructure in the nearly 30 years it has operated there.

Panama’s President Jose Raul Mulino said ports will continue to operate without interruption following Thursday’s ruling. APM Terminals Panama will operate the Balboa and Cristobal ports in the interim.

President Donald Trump has long sought control over the Panama Canal and voiced his desire to block China from operating there. Last year he threatened to seize control of the canal.

After the ruling, shares in CK Hutchinson fell by 4.6%.

China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Chinese companies will pursue legal action to maintain their rights to operate on the Panama Canal, calling the decision “contrary to the laws governing Panama’s approval of the relevant franchises.”

CK Hutchinson has pursued a sale of its interest in the Balboa and Cristobal ports to a group of U.S. investment firms, including BlackRock. The proposed deal is estimated to be worth more than $22 billion.

Thursday’s decision may impact those plans.

Picketers hold signs outside at the entrance to Mount Sinai Hospital on Monday in New York City. Nearly 15,000 nurses across New York City are now on strike after no agreement was reached ahead of the deadline for contract negotiations. It is the largest nurses’ strike in NYC’s history. The hospital locations impacted by the strike include Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Morningside, Mount Sinai West, Montefiore Hospital and New York Presbyterian Hospital. Photo by John Angelillo/UPI | License Photo

Source link