Aryna

Players v Grand Slams: Aryna Sabalenka says top players will boycott a major ‘at some point’ over prize money

Poland’s Swiatek said she would prefer continued discussions and negotiations with the majors instead of a boycott.

“I think the most important thing is to have proper communication and discussions with the governing bodies so we have some space to talk and maybe negotiate,” the Wimbledon champion said.

“Hopefully before Roland Garros there’s going to be opportunity to have these type of meetings and we’ll see how they go.

“But boycotting the tournament, it’s a bit extreme kind of situation.

“I guess we as players are here to play as individuals, and we’re competing against each other.

“So it’s really hard for me to say how it would work, if it’s even there on the picture. For now, I haven’t heard anything.”

But French Open champion Gauff thinks strike action would be a genuine possibility if the players come together as one.

“If we all collectively agree, then yes,” the American said.

“I wouldn’t want to be the only one, but we definitely can move more as a collective.

“From the things I’ve seen with other sports, usually to make massive progress and things like this, it takes a union. We have to become unionised in some way.”

World number two Elena Rybakina says she has not been involved in the campaign, but would go with the majority.

“If the majority say we are boycotting, then of course I’m up for it. It’s not an issue,” the Australian Open champion said.

World number five Jessica Pegula has been an articulate advocate of the players’ campaign, but virtually ruled out strike action during a BBC Sport interview in Indian Wells in March.

“We love playing the Slams – I don’t think anyone’s going to strike against the Slams,” the American said.

“I just think it’s us asking for what we think we deserve, but I do think that if the men and the women can come together – which we have on that front – and keep pushing, there’s nothing wrong with us just asking for what we think is right.”

Source link

Madrid Open: Aryna Sabalenka comes from a set down to beat Naomi Osaka

American Gauff, who has been unwell with a stomach virus, will drop from third to fourth when the updated world rankings are released, with Poland’s Iga Swiatek replacing her.

The reigning French Open champion was ruthless in the second set after losing the first and looked a safe bet to advance to the next round at the expense of Noskova, after breaking the 21-year-old for a second time in the third set.

But world number 13 Noskova produced an impressive comeback in front of the Spanish crowd as Gauff faltered and will face Ukrainian Marta Kostyuk in the quarter-finals on Wednesday.

Kostyuk, 23, won 6-2 6-3 against American Caty McNally to celebrate her ninth victory in a row and back-to-back Madrid quarter-finals.

“Sometimes I get lost on court, especially in the second [set], as it happened today,” said Noskova. “I had to find my rhythm all over again in the third [set].”

Meanwhile, Sabalenka will take on American Hailey Baptiste, who defeated Belinda Bencic 6-1 6-7 (14-16) 6-3 in her fourth-round match, on Tuesday.

She defeated Baptiste, 24, in the quarter-finals of the Miami Open on her way to winning the title last month.

Source link