Lee meets Bessent, Chinese vice premier ahead of U.S.-China summit

U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, seen here arriving at Incheon Airport on Wednesday, met with South Korean President Lee Jae Myung and Chinese Vice Premier He Lifeng on a stop in Seoul ahead of his trip to Beijing for the Trump-Xi summit. Pool Photo by Yonhap
President Lee Jae Myung on Wednesday held back-to-back talks with U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and Chinese Vice Premier He Lifeng, and reaffirmed their commitment to cooperation amid global challenges, his office said.
Lee said during his meeting with Bessent at Cheong Wa Dae that South Korea and the United States should further strengthen economic cooperation through close communication so that they can continue the “positive trend” of both countries maintaining stable economies despite increased global uncertainties, according to his spokesperson Kang Yu-jung.
Lee also called for further developing bilateral cooperation in the economic and technological sectors, especially in terms of critical minerals, supply chains and foreign exchange markets, the spokesperson told a press briefing.
While concurring with Lee’s remarks, Bessent credited his leadership for South Korea’s growth and stock market performance under difficult circumstances, such as the Middle East war, she said.
Lee held talks with He earlier in the day and asked him to play an active role in expanding cooperation between South Korea and China in diverse sectors, including the economy, industry, trade and culture.
The vice premier responded that he is pleased the two countries’ bilateral trade increased further this year and conveyed Chinese President Xi Jinping‘s greetings.
Lee recalled his meeting with Xi in January and asked that the vice premier also convey his sincerest greetings, the spokesperson said.
The back-to-back talks came as Bessent and He were in Seoul to coordinate the agenda of Thursday’s high-stakes summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Xi in Beijing.
Following their meetings with Lee, the two officials met behind closed doors at a VIP lounge at Incheon International Airport, west of Seoul.
The talks were held under tight security, with all access points to the lounge closed, including to the press.
Bessent will later head to Beijing to join Trump on his two-day visit to the country.
Copyright (c) Yonhap News Agency prohibits its content from being redistributed or reprinted without consent, and forbids the content from being learned and used by artificial intelligence systems.
U.S.-China summit prospects brighten after official calls

May 1 (Asia Today) — Senior U.S. and Chinese diplomatic and trade officials held a series of calls ahead of a planned summit between President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping, signaling that the meeting is likely to proceed as scheduled.
The summit is planned for May 14-15, after speculation that it could be delayed again because of prolonged tensions in the Middle East.
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi spoke by phone Wednesday with U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, according to China’s Foreign Ministry. The call came as both countries prepare for high-level engagement and seek to manage tensions over trade, Taiwan and regional security.
Wang said leader-level diplomacy has long served as a guide for U.S.-China relations and that bilateral ties have generally remained stable under the strategic direction of Xi and Trump.
He urged both sides to preserve what he called a hard-won period of stability, prepare carefully for major high-level exchanges, expand cooperation and manage differences.
Wang also said Taiwan is China’s core interest and the “biggest risk” in U.S.-China relations, urging Washington to honor its commitments and make what Beijing views as the correct choice.
China’s Foreign Ministry said Rubio described U.S.-China relations as the world’s most important bilateral relationship and said leader-level diplomacy is central to maintaining strategic stability.
The two sides also held economic talks. Chinese Vice Premier He Lifeng spoke by video with U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer. Reuters described the trade discussion as “candid and comprehensive,” with both sides raising concerns over trade restrictions and regulatory measures.
The exchanges suggest Washington and Beijing are moving toward holding the summit as planned, despite persistent disputes over Taiwan, trade restrictions and broader strategic competition.
— Reported by Asia Today; translated by UPI
© Asia Today. Unauthorized reproduction or redistribution prohibited.
Original Korean report: https://www.asiatoday.co.kr/kn/view.php?key=20260501010000028



