studios

Mid AI scandal, Hollywood studios threaten ByteDance with legal action

After the fake video of Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt fighting went viral, a surge of AI-generated content from Seedance 2.0 flooded the internet.

Some fans were using the new AI video generator, backed by ByteDance, to refashion the finales for shows like “Game of Thrones” and “Stranger Things.” Others created battle scenes between iconic superheroes like Wolverine and Superman or between a Transformer and Godzilla.

As these Seedance videos amassed millions of views on social media, industry guilds like SAG-AFTRA and the Motion Picture Assn. have criticized the AI platform that was launched last week. Now, many major Hollywood studios are threatening to take legal action against ByteDance, the same Chinese parent that oversees TikTok.

Netflix, Warner Bros. Discovery, Paramount and Disney have all sent individual cease and desist letters, detailing the unauthorized reproduction of each of the studios’ copyrighted intellectual property.

Netflix and Warner Bros. Discovery were the latest studios to send cease and desists letter to ByteDance on Tuesday.

Netflix calls Seedance “a high-speed privacy engine” and says that they “will not stand by and watch ByteDance treat our valued IP as free, public domain clip art,” as stated in the letter. The streamer also cites the illegal use of sets derived from “Squid Game,” costumes from “Bridgerton” and character design from “KPop Demon Hunters.”

Warner Bros. Discovery looks to repurposed content, including characters from the “Harry Potter” and “Lord of the Rings” franchises, as well as superheroes like Batman, as “ blatant infringement” by ByteDance. The studio argues that it’s clear that their AI technology was trained on Warner Bros. copyrighted material “without authorization.”

“But the users are not the ones at the root cause of the infringement; they are merely building on the foundation of infringement already laid by ByteDance as Seedance comes pre-loaded with Warner Bros. Discovery’s copyrighted characters,” wrote the studios’ legal executive vice president Wayne Smith. “That was a deliberate design choice by ByteDance.”

Disney and Paramount were the first of the studios to call out ByteDance, sending their letters last Friday and Saturday. Disney accuses ByteDance of loading its Seedance service “with a pirated library of Disney’s copyrighted characters from Star Wars, Marvel, and other Disney franchises.”

“Over Disney’s well-publicized objections, ByteDance is hijacking Disney’s characters by reproducing, distributing, and creating derivative works featuring those characters. ByteDance’s virtual smash-and-grab of Disney’s IP is willful, pervasive, and totally unacceptable,” Disney’s attorney David Singer wrote, per Axios.

Paramount’s cease and desist letter was reviewed by The Times and makes similar assertions about ByteDance’s unapproved use of copyrighted material.

ByteDance has since pledged to implement more safeguards to protect copyrighted material in response to these letters.

“ByteDance respects intellectual property rights and we have heard the concerns regarding Seedance 2.0,” a company spokesperson said in a statement shared with CNBC. “We are taking steps to strengthen current safeguards as we work to prevent the unauthorized use of intellectual property and likeness by users.”

But with or without the safeguards, Dan Purcell, chief executive of Midnight Labs, an AI-powered company that specializes in IP protection for high-value entertainment, said these letters might be a bit of a delayed reaction from the studios.

“Once synthetic content is generated, it spreads instantly and at a massive scale. By the time lawyers engage, the damage is done,” said Purcell in a statement. “The only path forward is strict licensing, real-time enforcement, and consequences that actually hurt. Reactive letters won’t fix this. The industry needs to move at the speed of AI — not the speed of litigation.”

Source link

Today execs ‘beef up police and security presence’ at NYC studios after Savannah Guthrie’s mom Nancy abducted from home

TODAY bosses have beefed up police and security presence at the NBC morning show’s NYC studio after co-anchor Savannah Guthrie’s mother was allegedly abducted from her home.

Multiple sources have exclusively told The U.S. Sun that the network made the decision for the health and safety of their Today talent and crew members out of an “abundance of caution.”

Savannah Guthrie is seen on the set of Today on November 29, 2017 in New York CityCredit: Getty
The Today show studios are located in midtown ManhattanCredit: Alamy
Savannah is very close to her mom Nancy, who was declared missing on SundayCredit: Instagram/savannahguthrie

Beloved Today host Savannah‘s mother Nancy, 84, was reported missing from her Tucson, Arizona home on Sunday morning, February 1.

Local police said they believe she was abducted against her will, and have not revealed any suspects days later.

“Things are tense at the studio, and that as a result, NBC has stepped up security for on-air talent,” a source told The U.S. Sun, though it’s unclear if Savannah, 54, or any Today hosts were also targeted by the perpetrators.

“NBC has partnered with the NYPD to make sure their staff remains safe, out of an abundance of caution.”

A separate insider confirmed both cops and private security are stationed at the midtown studio and offices.

The U.S. Sun has reached out to the NYPD and NBC for comment.

Timeline of Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance

Nancy Guthrie, the 84-year-old mother of Today show co-anchor Savannah Guthrie, disappeared from her home on February 1, 2026.

Timeline:

  • January 31: Family members dropped off Guthrie, 84, at her home in Tucson, Arizona, at around 9:45 pm.
  • February 1: The Pima County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 missing person call at noon.
  • Pima County Sheriff Christopher Nanos said the scene found at Guthrie’s home caused “grave concern.”
  • February 2: Nanos said investigators are probing Guthrie’s case as a crime, adding that officials do not believe the 84-year-old voluntarily walked out of her home.
  • The Pima County sheriff said Guthrie has “limited mobility” and is in dire need of her daily medication, which if she does not take could be “fatal.”
  • Savannah Guthrie released a statement to her co-hosts at Today, saying, “On behalf of our family, I want to thank everyone for the thoughts, prayers and messages of support. Right now, our focus remains on the safe return of our dear mom.”
  • Savannah missed the February 2 edition of Today as she flew to Arizona to assist in the search for her mother.

SAVANNAH’S SUPPORT TEAM

Savannah’s Today colleagues have been sending her love and prayers as they address the devastating case on air.

“Sending our love, my friend,” Sheinelle Jones said on Monday.

Craig Melvin called the story “deeply personal,” and delivered Savannah’s first message to fans about the tragedy.

“On behalf of our family, I want to thank everyone for the thoughts, prayers, and messages of support,” the statement read.

“Right now, our focus remains on he safe return of our dear mom.”

Jenna Bush Hager, Savannah’s longtime close friend, held back tears as she discussed the news on live TV.

“We are thinking of our dearest, dearest Savannah and her whole family this morning,” she said.

MYSTERY DEEPENS

The FBI has joined the search for Nancy, and addressed the public at a press conference on Tuesday.

Special Agent Jon Edwards insisted the FBI is doing “everything in their power to bring Nancy Guthrie home to her family.”

“We’re downloading and analyzing cellphones, obtaining cell tower information, conducting interviews, and providing any and all investigative support that the sheriff’s department needs,” he said.

Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos then admitted “we’re stumped,” adding they do not currently have any strong leads in the case.

A possible ransom note was reported by TMZ, and cops said they are “taking all tips and leads very seriously.”

Though there were reportedly signs of forced entry at Nancy’s suburban Tucson home, police have said they don’t believe a robbery was behind the abduction.

“I wish somebody would call us and say, ‘Hey,’ because that’s what the family wants,” Sheriff Nanos told Us Weekly.

“They just want her back. ‘Hey, no questions asked, call us where to come and get her, and we’ll do that.”

Nancy reportedly left her iPhone, watch, car and wallet at home.

A splatter of blood belonging to Nancy was also found on the property.

Savannah Guthrie’s full statement on mom’s disappearance

We believe in prayer. we believe in voices raised in unison, in love, in hope. we believe in goodness. we believe in humanity. above all, we believe in Him.

thank you for lifting your prayers with ours for our beloved mom, our dearest Nancy, a woman of deep conviction, a good and faithful servant. raise your prayers with us and believe with us that she will be lifted by them in this very moment.

we need you.

“He will keep in perfect peace those whose hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” a verse of Isaiah for all time for all of us.

Bring her home.

‘BELIEVE IN PRAYER’

Savannah recently posted another statement to her Instagram, asking fans to continue their prayers.

“We believe in prayer. We believe in voices raised in unison, in love, in hope. we believe in goodness. we believe in humanity. above all, we believe in Him,” she said.

Savannah’s husband, Michael Feldman, also spoke out about the tragic case.

Michael told Page Six that he feels “mostly unhelpful” in the disappearance.

He thanked the media’s “thoughtfulness” in their coverage.

Members of the public with any information are urged to call 911 or the Pima County Sheriff’s Department at 520-351-4900.

Nancy’s neighbors showed their support near her Tucson-area homeCredit: The U.S. Sun
Savannah posted with mom Nancy on Thursday, June 15, 2023Credit: Getty
Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos has given press conferences to update reportersCredit: WINK

Source link