storm

Turkish police storm main opposition CHP’s party headquarters | Police

NewsFeed

Violence erupted after Turkish police stormed the headquarters of the main opposition CHP party in Ankara following a court ruling that removed leader Ozgur Ozel and reinstated former chairman Kemal Kilicdaroglu.
Officers fired tear gas and smashed through barricades, removing Ozel from the building.

Source link

Al-Qaeda-linked fighters storm Mali prison, block food supplies to Bamako | Conflict News

Fighters attack ‘Africa’s Alcatraz’, which detains high-value prisoners, and disrupt crucial supply chains to the capital.

In a new wave of attacks in Mali, an al-Qaeda-linked group has stormed a main prison housing fighters from the armed group and set fire to trucks with food supplies heading to the capital Bamako.

Fighters from the Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM) group stormed the Kenieroba Central Prison, a recently built complex dubbed “Africa’s Alcatraz”, located about 60km (37 miles) southwest of Bamako, Al Jazeera’s Nicolas Haque reported on Wednesday.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The detention centre houses 2,500 prisoners, including at least 72 inmates considered “high value” by the Malian state, Haque said, adding that Malian armed forces were repelling the attack.

Among the prisoners are JNIM fighters and a number of people arrested following large-scale attacks last month by the group’s fighters and Tuareg separatists, the Azawad Liberation Front (FLA).

The fighters attacked several military bases across multiple cities, including areas where senior government officials live, and took control of the northern city of Kidal in a coordinated offensive on April 25 and April 26, which struck at the heart of the West African country’s military government.

One of those attacks killed Malian Defence Minister Sadio Camara and his family in their home in Kati, a garrison town near the capital. On Monday, the leader of the country’s military government, Assimi Goita, took on the role of defence minister. At least 23 others were also killed in the attacks.

Since then, “there has been a wave of arrests of former and current military officers, members of civil society, lawyers, members of the political opposition – all accused of colluding with al-Qaeda fighters,” said Haque, who has been reporting for years on and in Mali. He added that fighters linked to the armed group were also arrested.

Security sources told AFP news agency that opposition figures Mountaga Tall, Youssouf Daba Diawara, and Moussa Djire are among those “abducted”.

According to family members and security sources who spoke to the agency, Tall, a lawyer, was taken on May 2 in Bamako by hooded men on charges of plotting with opposition figures in the Senegalese capital, Dakar, to overthrow the military government. Since his arrest, Tall has been questioned at least once for “attempted destabilisation”.

The security sources said Diawara and Djire were suspected of links with, respectively, the influential imam Mahmoud Dicko and Oumar Mariko, two opposition figures in exile. At least two other civilians who are close to Mariko were also arrested following the attacks, a judicial source told AFP, without giving further details.

The military prosecutor’s office said on May 1 that it had “solid evidence” of the “complicity” of certain military personnel, accusing them of helping with the “planning, coordination and execution” of the attacks.

In a report published on Tuesday, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) said there have also been “gravely concerning reports of extrajudicial killings and abductions, allegedly carried out by members of the security forces” following the attacks.

The violence has set off fighting across Mali’s vast desert north, raising the prospect of significant gains by armed groups that have shown an increasing willingness to strike neighbouring countries.

JNIM has called on Malians to rise up against the government and transition to Islamic law. The group has also pledged to besiege Bamako, and on Friday, it had reportedly set up checkpoints around the city of four million.

Haque said the blockade has the potential to cause a humanitarian disaster.

“These are al-Qaeda fighters that have pointed 12.7mm machine guns on their motorbikes, stopping any outgoing or incoming traffic,” the correspondent said. “We have seen on social media these fighters stopping food trucks trying to enter the area. This blockade is not just affecting people living in Bamako; it’s affecting people throughout Mali.”

On May 3, the mayor of Diafarabe village, in the Mopti region, called on the authorities to act before people started dying of hunger, as the village had run out of food.

Source link

Gemma Collins and Sinitta STORM OFF I’m a Celeb stage in explosive final

Gemma Collins and Sinitta reacted angrily to Jimmy Bullard’s claims of what led to his own bitter row with Adam Thomas during this I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here series

Gemma Collins and Sinitta both stormed off stage during the I’m a Celeb finale.

Drama unfolded moments before actor Adam Thomas was crowned the winner of the show, beating Mo Farah to the title. Singer and actress Sinitta, 62, appeared to take issue at something Jimmy Bullard had said about his own spat with Thomas which happened earlier in the series.

Addressing the audience, Sinitta said: “You guys weren’t there, you don’t know what happened.” She then stormed off stage, and was soon followed by TV personality Gemma.

Jimmy, the former professional footballer, had accused Thomas of being “abusive, aggressive and intimidating”. Adam came face to face with Jimmy and David Haye again for the first time since their bitter camp fallouts in South Africa.

READ MORE: Who won I’m A Celebrity 2026? Adam Thomas triumphs to be Legend despite ‘unbroadcastable’ rowREAD MORE: Dan Walker breaks silence and insists ‘I did NOT settle’ after claims withdrawn

And it was ex boxer David that made the first move, calling out the star when he was chatting to Ant and Dec. This season has been full of twists, trials, tension and tears and now I’m A Celebrity South Africa has reached its end.

When he was announced the winner, Adam said: “Thank you guys, thank you so much. I love ya.” Before he did his final trial in South Africa, Adam, 37, admitted there had been “a lot of drama” in camp. And there was a lot of drama in the final too, as hosts Ant and Dec struggled to stay on top of things.

Adam reflected on it and said he had apologised to Jimmy several times. Looking serious he said: “Listen I take full responsibility for my actions. Yes emotions were definitely running high in that moment. But, you know, I have got nothing but love for Jimmy.”

When David Haye tried to interrupt him Adam also said “will you just let the finalists speak”. Adam then said: “I take everything he said into account. That is not how I want to show myself off and I have never showed myself off in that light before that or after that. And I am sorry Jimmy.”

Adam was given a final eating trial in South Africa called Swallow the Odds, and looking ahead to the prospect of winning said: “I am gonna be a legend baby” He then proceeded to smash the trial, eating five courses with the likes of five pig teats, two century fermented eggs, tarantula and fermented tofu.

He even cheered himself on, saying “come on Adam, ” in between mouthfuls. After watching Gemma said: “You done so well, you amazing.”

But he also had to cope with a backlash from other contestants, as David Haye interrupted the show at this point and said: “Do you think you deserve to win it after calling Jimmy the C-word a couple of times?”

Source link