Thousands of people cheered Team Melli as Iran’s World Cup kit was unveiled before the team’s training camp in Turkiye.
Published On 14 May 202614 May 2026
Iran hosted a departure rally for its FIFA World Cup squad, witnessed by thousands of fans in Tehran’s Enqelab Square, amid concerns about the team travelling to the United States to compete.
The players were cheered by the crowd as they made patriotic statements from a stage on Wednesday.
Iran’s World Cup 2026 kit was also unveiled at the event, following which the team will travel to Turkiye to continue their preparations at a training camp.
“This is the best sendoff in the last four World Cup campaigns,” Mehdi Taj, president of the Football Federation Islamic Republic of Iran (FFIRI), told state TV.
“The players are with the people, and the crowd stands with the country’s dignity, honour, and strength. Whatever the result, may Iran’s flag be raised there and defended.”
Iran’s participation in the World Cup has been in question since the US and Israel attacked Iran, starting a regional war on February 28.
People gather to attend the farewell ceremony of Iran’s national team in Tehran [Atta Kenare/AFP]
An FFIRI delegation, led by Taj, turned back at Toronto’s main airport, citing their treatment by Canadian immigration, and missed a pre-World Cup FIFA gathering in Vancouver. They alleged “unacceptable behaviour of immigration officials” despite holding valid visas.
In 2024, Canada listed Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist organisation, and statements from the Canadian government indicated that Taj was denied entry due to his alleged ties with the IRGC.
The incident triggered fears there may be issues for some of the Iranian delegation getting into the US.
As in Canada, the IRGC is classified as a “terrorist entity” in the US, and Secretary of State Marco Rubio has said no one with ties to the organisation would be admitted to the country.
Iran has placed responsibility for getting the players and team officials into the US, where Team Melli are scheduled to play all three World Cup group matches, firmly in the hands of FIFA.
“Nothing has arrived yet regarding the visas. We hope it will definitely be handled within this timeframe,” Hedayat Mombeini, FFIRI secretary-general, told state TV at the rally.
“FIFA has made promises, and hopefully those promises will lead to results, and the players will receive their visas on time.”
Iran will play The Gambia in a World Cup warm-up in Antalya on May 29. Mombeini said the FFIRI was in the process of arranging another friendly for the training camp in Turkiye.
The former Ross County and Sunderland striker earned the latest of his two Scotland caps in 2022, but free from injury problems he has now scored 11 goals in 33 appearances for the side who finished fourth in the Championship, five in his latest 10.
Fellow 29-year-old McBurnie did not add to his 18 goals in 41 appearances but also played his part for sixth-top Hull as he started both legs of their 2-0 aggregate win over third-placed Millwall.
The former Sheffield United and Las Palmas striker recently telephoned Clarke to make a direct plea for a first recall since earning his 16th cap in 2021.
All 48 national associations were asked to submit a provisional squad of up to 55 players to world governing body Fifa before finalising their 26-man squad for the finals.
They are not required to make those public, so it is not known whether either Stewart or McBurnie made Scotland’s extended list.
It is likely to include current members of the under-21 squad and uncapped players like Stephen Welsh, the 26-year-old centre-half who has impressed on loan to Motherwell from Celtic.
However, Clarke said last month that he was “more or less set in my mind” about the 26 players he intends to take to the finals, although he revealed that two spots might still be up for grabs.
Clarke is known for his loyalty to players he believes have served him well, but Conway’s injury could open up another space.
Scotland host Curacao, who have just reappointed former Rangers boss Dick Advocaat as head coach, in a 30 May friendly at Hampden before their final warm-up game against Bolivia on 6 June in Harrison, New Jersey.
Australia captain Sophie Molineux has been passed fit and named in Australia’s squad for the T20 World Cup.
The 28-year-old all-rounder will lead a 15-strong squad for the tournament in England, with assistance from vice-captains Ash Gardner and Tahlia McGrath.
Fast bowler Lucy Hamilton has been selected for her first international tournament as the six-time champions look to regain the World Cup title after losing in the semi-finals in 2024.
All-rounders Annabel Sutherland and Grace Harris return to the squad having been rested and dropped respectively for the tour of the West Indies in March.
Molineux was appointed to the Australia captaincy in January, replacing the retired Alyssa Healy, and was considered a surprise pick following a career blighted by injury.
She injured her back prior to the tour of the Caribbean, her first away series as captain, where she played exclusively as a batter.
Australia national selector Shawn Flegler had previously confirmed, external that Molineux would not have been considered for a non-bowling role at the World Cup.
“Sophie has already made her mark as captain and built a strong connection with the group over the last couple of tours, so we’re looking forward to seeing what this side can achieve under her leadership,” Flegler said upon the squad’s announcement.
“Darcie Brown was unlucky to miss out but the decision was based on the conditions we’re expecting and the make-up of the side.
“With at least six right-arm pace options in the mix and raw pace expected to be less effective, we opted to go with Lucy Hamilton who offers something different as a left-arm quick.”
Molineux’s side will play warm-up fixtures against South Africa, England and the West Indies before opening their tournament against South Africa on 13 June at Old Trafford.
Arsenal striker Viktor Gyokeres and Liverpool forward Alexander Isak have been named in Sweden’s World Cup squad.
However, the summer’s tournament in Canada, Mexico and the United States has come too soon for Tottenham forward Dejan Kulusevski, who misses out having not played this season because of a knee injury.
Sweden coach Graham Potter said it was difficult to leave out the 26-year-old.
“A very, very difficult decision in terms of where he [Kulusevski] has been and what he’s done over the last year, where he’s at in terms of his rehab with four and a half weeks to go to that first game,” Potter told a news conference.
Isak, 26, has also had an injury-hit campaign and has only started eight league matches for Liverpool since his £125m British record transfer from Newcastle last summer.
“We obviously hope he finishes the season in Liverpool with some game time,” added Potter. “Our challenge is to get Alex in the best moment of the season and for him to hit top form, because if he does, he’s a world-class player.”
Sweden endured a miserable qualifying campaign, finishing bottom of their group with two points, but their performance in the Nations League gave them a second chance and wins over Ukraine and Poland in the play-offs took them to the finals.
“It’s incredibly exciting – a huge honour for me,” said Potter, who became Sweden manager in October. “The positive response from our supporters has been fantastic, and now we’re looking forward to creating more memories together during the World Cup.”
Gyokeres and Isak are two of 11 British-based players in the squad, which also includes goalkeepers Viktor Johansson (Stoke) and Jacob Widell Zetterstrom (Derby) and defenders Hjalmar Ekdal (Burnley), Gabriel Gudmundsson (Leeds) and Victor Lindelof (Aston Villa).
Midfielders Yasin Ayari and Lucas Bergvall, who play for Brighton and Tottenham respectively have also been named, as have Newcastle winger Anthony Elanga and Celtic forward Benjamin Nygren.
Sweden are in Group F and play Tunisia in Monterrey, Mexico on 14 June (03:00 BST, 15 June) before two games in the United States – against the Netherlands in Houston on 20 June and Japan in Dallas five days later (00:00 BST, 26 June).
Spain international Dani Carvajal injured his right foot during a training session for Real Madrid last week.
Published On 7 May 20267 May 2026
Spain manager Luis de la Fuente says Dani Carvajal could still make his World Cup squad but the right back must prove his fitness and form after suffering a foot injury in training with his club Real Madrid last week.
“Carvajal is a very important figure in our dressing room,” de la Fuente said on Wednesday.
“I actually spoke with him yesterday, so I’m aware of what’s going on. He doesn’t have a specific injury, nothing serious, but he needs time to get back to his usual level.
“We’ll see in the remaining matches whether he truly gets the opportunity and delivers the performances.”
De la Fuente added that Carvajal, who made just one appearance for Spain in 2025, would understand if he is left out of the squad for the World Cup, which is being held in the United States, Canada and Mexico from June 11 to July 19.
Carvajal, 34, is approaching the final weeks of his contract with Real and has struggled for game time this season amid competition from Trent Alexander-Arnold.
Spain begin their World Cup campaign against Cape Verde on June 15 and also face Saudi Arabia and Uruguay in Group H.
Uncapped left-arm spinner Tilly Corteen-Coleman has been included in England’s squad for the Women’s T20 World Cup this summer.
The 18-year-old impressed in England’s intra-squad matches in South Africa this year.
She is one of three left-arm spinners in England’s squad alongside Sophie Ecclestone and Linsey Smith, while off-spinner Charlie Dean is named as vice-captain to Nat Sciver-Brunt.
There is no place for 19-year-old Davina Perrin, who scored a century in last year’s Hundred Eliminator, while veteran batter Tammy Beaumont also misses out.
Leg-spinner Sarah Glenn, a recent mainstay of England’s T20 squads, was not considered for selection as she is recovering from a broken finger and has not played this season.
England start their T20 World Cup campaign against Sri Lanka on 12 June at Edgbaston.