slip

Strictly fans say two major TV stars just ‘let slip’ they’re new hosts with tell-tale sign

Some fans are convinced that two TV stars have hinted that they are to take over as Strictly Come Dancing hosts after Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman stepped down

Two major TV stars have seemingly let slip that they’re about to become the new Strictly Come Dancing hosts.

The BBC have now announced all the returning professional dancers after a massive number of exits. It has also been confirmed that all four judges are making their return to the BBC show.

The hosts have yet to be announced after Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman stepped down and there has been much talk about who might replace them, with names including Rylan Clark and Bradley Walsh being rumoured.

Fans now are convinced they know who will be presenting the show – after spotting a telling clue. Referencing the official post to announce the returning professional dancers and judges, one fan noted: “I noticed that they are the only ones from the rumoured 10 to be commenting on the post. Correct me if I am wrong. My dream duo.”

READ MORE: Bonnie Tyler, 74, ‘in an induced coma after condition deteriorated following surgery’READ MORE: Strictly’s Nikita Kuzmin breaks silence on Nadiya Bychkova’s sacking

They are referring to the fact Zoe Ball and Angela Scanlon were the only two stars to comment on the post from the rumoured 10. Zoe – who previously presented the spin-off show – and former contestant Angela are hot favourites to replace Tess and Claudia.

One fan penned in response: “Would be two good choices as hosts. Zoe could fill the more serious role (although I still think Emma Willis would’ve been perfect for that but won’t complain about Zoe) and Angela would fill the Claudia role very well.

“The only thing I would say is Angela might have to balance her humour with seriousness a bit more than she has had to do in other presenting roles. But much much better than the other rumoured hosts like Rylan and Bradley Walsh.”

Another added: “I would absolutely not be mad if these were our hosts. Fit the bill for me, and they both know strictly well and how it works,” as a third penned: “Would be absolutely fine with this.”

Tess and Claudia announced back in September that they were quitting the show after the end of this series.

“We have loved working as a duo and hosting Strictly has been an absolute dream. We were always going to leave together and now feels like the right time. We will have the greatest rest of this amazing series and we just want to say an enormous thank you to the BBC and to every single person who works on the show,” they said.

“They’re the most brilliant team and we’ll miss them every day. We will cry when we say the last “keep dancing” but we will continue to say it to each other. Just possibly in tracksuit bottoms at home while holding some pizza.”

Like this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs on TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Threads.



Source link

Shares slip as oil prices stay elevated near peaks on Iran war concerns

Published on

Oil prices fell back in early trade but remained elevated as investors kept an eye on escalating tensions between the US and Iran and progress on ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz.


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading 1.38% lower at $112.86 while US crude, or WTI, was down 2.27% at $104 per barrel. US futures edged 0.1% higher.

Elsewhere, regional trading was thin overnight with markets in Japan, South Korea and mainland China closed for holidays.

Hong Kong’s Hang Seng fell 1.1% to 25,805.98. Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 lost 0.5% to 8,649.80, while Taiwan’s Taiex traded 0.2% lower at 40,626.22.

The fragile ceasefire between the US and Iran was tested on Monday after the US military said it had sank six Iranian small boats targeting civilian ships, while two US-flagged ships successfully passed through the Strait of Hormuz.

The key waterway for oil and gas transport remains largely closed despite repeated demands from the US for Iran to reopen the strait and as the United States imposed a sea blockade on Iranian ports. US President Donald Trump’s “Project Freedom” plan under which the United States would help guide stranded ships through the Strait of Hormuz began on Monday.

Brent crude, the international standard, surged above $114 a barrel on Monday, gaining nearly 6%. Before the war began in late February, it was trading near $70.

Source link

Bake Off host lets slip Nigella Lawson and Paul Hollywood ‘chemistry’ as filming begins

The Great British Bake Off host Alison Hammond appeared on ITV’s Lorraine on Monday

A Great British Bake Off star has opened up about Nigella Lawson’s chemistry with Paul Hollywood.

Nigella has taken over from Prue Leith as the latest judge, where she will join Paul, Alison Hammond and Noel Fielding in the tent for the upcoming season that’s set to air later this year.

Alison appeared on ITV’s Lorraine on Monday (May 4), where she spoke to Lorraine Kelly about the new series, which has begun filming.

Lorraine said: “There’s a new judge. How’s that all going? Have you met up?”

Alison replied: “She’s so lovely. Nigella is incredible. Obviously we’ve started, so I’ve been watching.”

She added: “I’m telling you, the chemistry between her and Paul is unbelievable,” before clarifying: “Not in that sort of way!”

A picture of Paul and Nigella was then shown on screen, with Alison saying: “Don’t they look good looking?”

Lorraine jokingly added: “Do you know what, that looks like a crime scene, doesn’t it?!”

Alison continued: “But honestly, they’re so good together! I’ll be honest with you, they don’t always agree – it’s so good,” with Lorraine concluding: “No, that’s fine, and that works.”

Prue Leith announced her exit from the hit competition back in January after nine years. The 85-year-old restaurateur and broadcaster first joined the series in 2017 when it moved from the BBC to Channel 4, and has been a beloved fixture on it ever since.

In a statement, she said: “Bake Off has been a fabulous part of my life for nine years. I have genuinely loved it and I’m sure I’ll miss working with my fellow judge Paul, Alison and Noel, and the teams at Love Productions and Channel 4.”

Speaking about stepping into Prue’s shoes, Nigella said: “I’m uncharacteristically rather lost for words right now. Of course it’s daunting to be following in the footsteps of Prue Leith and Mary Berry before her, great dames both, but I’m also bubbling with excitement.”

She added: “The Great British Bake Off is more than a television programme, it’s a National Treasure – and it’s a huge honour to be entrusted with it.

“I’m just thrilled to be joining the team and all the new bakers to come, I wish the marvellous Prue all the best, and am giddily grateful for the opportunity!”

The Great British Bake Off returns to Channel 4 later this year

Source link

BBC Race Across the World star lets slip hidden struggle fans didn’t see

Race Across the World stars Jo and Kush appeared on BBC’s Morning Live on Thursday

One Race Across the World star has made an unexpected admission.

The hit travel competition sees five intrepid teams embarking on the journey of a lifetime, spanning more than 12,000km across southern Europe and Central Asia. They will navigate seven checkpoints on their way to Hatgal in remote northern Mongolia.

Cousins Puja and Roshni were the first pair to be eliminated earlier this month, with more dramatic twists in store.

Sibling duo Katie and Harrison lost their lengthy lead last week, dropping all the way down to last place. In-laws Mark and Margo have charged into the lead for the first time, followed by childhood best friends Jo and Kush, and father-and-daughter pair Molly and Andrew.

Ahead of a new instalment airing on Thursday (April 30), Jo and Kush appeared on BBC’s Morning Live, where they spoke to hosts Holly Hamilton and Rav Wilding about their experience on the show.

During the interview, Kush revealed a hidden struggle he faced during the race, which viewers wouldn’t have known about.

“I think the hardest part is the fact that you sacrifice everything. You’ve got no home life, no reminders of home, no [home] comforts. Everything is to do with the race, and I think that started to get a bit consuming at times,” he said.

“You’re going to sleep and thinking about the race. Every day, every action and decision you make is to advance your race, and I really struggled with that at times. I couldn’t sleep, couldn’t function.”

Holly then discussed a show “controversy” after Jo and Kush notably decided against giving money to their competitors Molly and Andrew.

The presenter said: “There was one point, as well, where you had to make a decision about whether or not to give money to one of the other teams. There was a bit of controversy around that.”

Kush replied: “People come up to us and they’re so 50/50. I had one person come up to me a few days ago at work, saying, ‘Oh, you should have given them [the money]. Why didn’t you give them the euros?'”

Jo added: “At the end of the day, it is a competition. The game’s a game. Obviously, we love Andrew and Molly. We actually gave them the €10 back the other day, and they gave us £10 back, so we made a little transaction there!”

Tonight’s episode will see the teams face the longest leg of the race so far. They will travel through the world’s largest landlocked country, Kazakhstan, and into Uzbekistan, navigating the vast Kazakh steppe with its endless horizons and limited English speakers.

One racer soon becomes overwhelmed after a string of missed connections and fraught taxi negotiations, while another pair take part in an authentic Kazakh coming-of-age celebration.

Race Across the World is available to stream on BBC iPlayer

Source link

Kings let late Game 2 lead slip away and lose to Avalanche in overtime

The Kings haven’t won an NHL playoff series since the last time they won the Stanley Cup, which is to say it’s been a while.

They’re halfway to another early exit after a 2-1 overtime loss to the Colorado Avalanche on Tuesday, a result that gave the Avalanche a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series. The winning goal came from Nicolas Roy 7:44 in the extra period.

The Kings’ lone goal came from Artemi Panarin while captain Gabriel Landeskog had the other Colorado goal.

“We did play really well,” interim coach D.J. Smith said. “We’ve got to find a way to win a game. Clearly, good isn’t enough. We’ve got to win a game and keep taking a piece of them and keep playing physical and give ourselves a chance to keep lengthening the series.”

Panarin gave the Kings a 1-0 lead on a wrister from the inside edge of the right circle with less than seven minutes left in regulation. It was his second power-play goal of the series and it came on the Kings’ fifth power play of the night.

It also came after the Kings got a fortunate break, with a Colorado clearing pass striking a linesman, leading to a faceoff in the Kings’ offensive end.

Landeskog evened things for Colorado 3 1/2 minutes later, escaping Kings forward Scott Laughton to skate to a Martin Necas pass through the crease before pushing the puck inside the left post to send the game to overtime.

For the Kings, it marked their 34th overtime in 84 games this season, an NHL record. They lost 21 of them but Tuesday’s was the most painful, with Roy scoring on a deflection in the crease.

“We had every opportunity,” Smith said. “You’ve got to be able to close it out.”

The teams now head to Crypto.com Arena for games Thursday and Sunday with the Kings needing at least one win to extend their season.

“I expect that we’ll be better at home,” Smith said.

To do that, the Kings are going to have to stop wasting the kind of opportunities they had in Denver, where they converted just two of nine power-play chances and failed to score on a penalty shot in the first two games.

The physical series turned chippy in late in Game 1 and that carried over to the start of Game 2 with a pair of scuffles, each involving more than a half-dozen players, breaking out 12 seconds apart midway through the first period. The teams combined for seven penalties in a fast-paced opening 20 minutes played with a lot of open ice.

Quinton Byfield had two chances to put the Kings on the board just more than three minutes into the second period but Colorado goalie Scott Wedgewood came up big both times.

Kings goaltender Anton Forsberg makes a save during overtime of Game 2.

Kings goaltender Anton Forsberg makes a save during overtime of Game 2.

(Jack Dempsey / Associated Press)

The first came when Byfield charged Wedgewood on a breakaway, only to have the goalie stop his wrister from in close. But Avalanche defenseman Cale Makar was called for hooking Byfield from behind on the play, setting up a penalty shot. Wedgewood stopped that too.

An over-excited group of fans celebrated the two saves by breaking a pane of glass behind the Kings bench, sending the coaches scurrying and pausing the game for several minutes as workmen repaired the damage. But 16 seconds after play resumed, the Avalanche took another penalty, their sixth of seven on the night.

The Colorado penalties left the Kings with a man advantage for nearly a quarter of the game’s first 25 minutes, but their power play couldn’t take advantage against a Colorado penalty kill that ranked No. 1 in the NHL during the regular season.

“Obviously, you just want the opportunities,” forward Trevor Moore said. “Now we’ve just got to make the most of them.”

Colorado’s best scoring chance in the first two periods came on a three-on-one rush less than five minutes before the second intermission, but Kings defenseman Mikey Anderson reached in to break up the play and keep the game scoreless.

Colorado celebrates its Game 2 victory over the Kings.

Colorado celebrates its Game 2 victory over the Kings.

(Jack Dempsey / Associated Press)

Sam Malinski appeared to give the Avalanche the lead on a slap shot from above the left circle 10 seconds into the final period, but after the horn sounded and the goal was put in the scoreboard, the officials correctly ruled the puck had struck the outside of the net.

Five minutes later Byfield fanned on a loose puck in the crease, allowing Wedgewood to roll over and clear it from in front of the open net.

Now the Kings come home, where they won six of their final seven regular-season games, the only loss coming in a shootout. But they haven’t beaten the Avalanche anywhere this season and if they have to at least once in the next two games to avoid their seventh straight first-round playoff exit.

“Thought we played better tonight,” Moore said. “So we’ve to to try to just take the positives and get to L.A. and play a good game.”

Source link

Tyler West and Chloe Burrows let slip ‘awkward’ interview with Hollywood legend

The KISS Breakfast radio hosts appeared on Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch this weekend

Tyler West and Chloe Burrows made an unexpected admission on Sunday Brunch.

Lorraine presenter Tyler, 30, and Love Island legend Chloe, 30, landed radio host roles on Kiss FM earlier this year, with the pair taking over the Breakfast show from Jordan Banjo and Perri Kiely.

Tyler and Chloe made an appearance on the latest episode of Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch (April 19), where they spoke to hosts Tim Lovejoy and Simon Rimmer about their radio show.

The pair excitedly spoke about meeting a variety of A-list stars through their new show, including Halle Berry, Margot Robbie and Chris Hemsworth. Chloe said: “They were so lovely. Everyone’s been really nice.”

Tim then asked: “Who are the rotten ones?” with Tyler issuing a very candid reply.

“Do you know what I’m going to say, I’m not going to say rotten ones. We had a really awkward one, I’m just going to say it, with Ryan Gosling,” he shared.

Chloe added: “Oh god, it was awful! I think he was really jet lagged and we were his first interview of the day, and we are kind of like a massive ball of energy. We’re like punchline, punchline, punchline, and he looked slightly bewildered.”

Tyler said: “He looked so confused. It literally got to the point where we had three minutes left of the interview and [we were] like, ‘Anything you want to chat about?'”

Chloe continued: “He looked for help,” before adding: “He asked us at one point if we’d actually seen the film, so that was good. And we had.”

Tim then noted: “I reckon if you interviewed him tomorrow, he’d be a lovely bloke, do you know what I mean? That’s how it is.”

Following the announcement of his role at KISS, Tyler previously said in a statement: “KISS FAM! The mornings are gonna be unreal! Taking over from my boys Jordan and Perri is huge… but trust me, I’m ready to bring it! It’s time for big laughs and bigger tunes. KISS is where home is – this is your new breakfast show where the door is always open. It’s gonna be carnage!”

Chloe added: “I can’t believe I’m saying this – I’m joining KISS! While I know I’ve got big shoes to fill, stepping into the station that I’ve been a HUGE fan of growing up will feel like being launched into my dream job at 100 miles an hour.

“Being the newbie, I know that working alongside Tyler and a world-class team of producers will give me the perfect introduction. I’m more than ready to bring the laughs and every ounce of energy I’ve got for the KISS Breakfast listeners. I’m buzzing!”

As well as hosting the morning show on KISS, Chloe also recently attended Coachella in California, with the star posting smiling snaps with her best friend Millie Court on social media. They were also joined by Love Island: All Stars winner Samie Elishi, and Sophie Piper.

Sunday Brunch is available to stream on Channel 4, while KISS Breakfast airs weekdays from 6am

Source link