Puka

Puka Nacua has to shut down distractions, protect a Super Bowl run

Do you think the Rams have a tracker at their headquarters for how many days it’s been since Puka Nacua’s last embarrassing incident?

They might. Because we all remember how frequently the self-inflicted damages were occurring during that bizarre and jarring stretch starting late last year.

We had the biting incident and alleged antisemitic comments on New Year’s Eve. Before that, we had the Rams’ star receiver making antisemitic gestures on a livestream with a couple of controversial streamers.

We also had him publicly calling out NFL officials on a stream and in a social media post sent from the locker room, and getting fined $25,000 by the league for that. We had his weird post on X — a laughing emoji and “sam darnold” — after the Seattle Seahawks’ quarterback led his team to the Super Bowl LX championship on Feb. 9, when Nacua also was recorded stumbling and dancing in a San Francisco street after the game.

We had this all within just a couple of months. So we had to replace the image we previously had of Nacua as a jolly, smiling football star with a new one: a picture of teeth marks on a woman’s skin.

Ick.

Rams receiver Puka Nacua signs autographs during training camp at Loyola Marymount University on Sunday.

Rams receiver Puka Nacua signs autographs during training camp at Loyola Marymount University on Sunday.

(Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times)

Nacua said Wednesday that he’s trying to be better, to do better.

“Definitely trying to take accountability for the things that I know that I can continue to change,” the 25-year-old said at Rams’ training camp at Loyola Marymount.

We should all hope so.

There’s enough at stake, don’t you think?

For Nacua, there’s the proverbial bag to secure. For the Rams, there’s the Super Bowl at SoFi Stadium, which everyone believes should be theirs for the taking. And there’s what winning will mean for the franchise’s stature in L.A., a city that’s impressed by little that’s short of championships.

Don’t mess this up, Puka.

No one wants the distraction of bizarre and disturbing behavior, of internet idiocy or civil lawsuits. (Nacua’s attorney, Levi McCathern, said the alleged bite was the result of “horseplay” and the Los Angeles city attorney’s office indicated last week that the matter was on track to be resolved through a program that allows eligible defendants to avoid criminal prosecution and jail time.)

No one wants to wonder what could have been if it turns out quarterback Matthew Stafford can’t count on Nacua getting open and punishing defenders downfield.

And no one should want to see the Rams’ sure-handed wide receiver let generational wealth slip through his fingers.

Nacua is one of those athletes who you trust on the field to make the play, but all his off-field shenanigans gave the Rams reason to doubt him, to make him skip his turn at the big payday.

He was up for a contract extension that could have paid him as much as $160 million over four years, instead he’ll be earning $5.8 million this season. He’ll have to prove himself to the Rams as a reliable investment.

But that’s OK, Nacua said. He’s happy to be back at work.

Rams receiver Puka Nacua tries to slip past defensive back Trent McDuffie during training camp at Loyola Marymount.

Rams receiver Puka Nacua tries to slip past defensive back Trent McDuffie during training camp at Loyola Marymount University on Sunday.

(Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times)

“There have been things outside of my control that I think have impacted the way I’ve been able to kind of focus and enjoy this game of football,” he said. “But coming out here and seeing that jersey No. 12 hung up in my locker is something that I don’t take for granted … the level of connection that I feel like I have with all the guys out there, [it] has never crossed my mind that I don’t want to be out here.”

One of the Rams’ primary weapons on offense, a barefooted Nacua went on the charm offensive after practice Wednesday, opening his media scrum by joking with reporters, asking how his hair looked and whether he had any boogers visible in his nose.

He looked fit, like he’s been taking care of himself. He said he was mostly laying off McDonald’s, seeing a therapist and appreciating football as a safe space. The dad of a baby boy, he spoke about that too.

He said he’s closed his “circle of trust” and expressed regret for actions that, he said, “haven’t been the truest reflection of the person I feel like I am, and how my mother raised me.”

“There’s definitely been conversations with her to apologize, but also for her to say that she supports me,” Nacua said of his mom, Penina, who brought up Puka and his five siblings as a single parent after her husband, Lionel, died in 2012.

“And also my brothers are, I think, my biggest critics as well,” Nacua said. “So there were some intense conversations, but loving conversations, in order to see improvement.”

Nacua is one of the Rams’ best players and absolutely their most popular. The loudest roar at Wednesday’s practice was when he showed up on the sideline with fellow receiver Davante Adams. When it was over, the sound of children shrieking “Puka!” reverberated off the bleachers.

The Rams are fans, too. Nacua isn’t tolerated for his talent; he’s adored for his spirit.

Coach Sean McVay loves the guy, a fifth-round draft pick out of BYU who broke a 63-year-old record for the most receiving yards by a rookie in NFL history: “You know how much I love him and the heart that he has,” McVay said Wednesday. “And I’ve been really proud of what he’s been doing and how he’s taking accountability for some of the things that we can learn from.”

Nacua said he was buoyed by messages from teammates during this turbulent offseason, in which he checked himself into a Malibu rehab facility to, as attorney McCathern said, “focus on his health, personal growth and overall development.”

We all know how valuable Nacua is on the field, but now we’re going to find out how much he values this opportunity, getting to take another rep to repair his reputation.

We’re going to find out if this man of many routes can run straight-and-narrow. Whether the slow-moving train wreck can get back on track. Whether he can keep stacking incident-free days.

Nacua says he can. “I feel,” he said, “very confident about that.”

Source link

Puka Nacua’s attorney questions authenticity of bite marks in photo

All-Pro wide receiver Puka Nacua has had a massive contract extension put on hold by the Rams. His reputation has been questioned, and he has gone through in-patient rehab at a facility that addresses mental health, wellness and behavioral issues.

And with training camp beginning Saturday, attention again has been diverted to the incident that remains unresolved — an allegation that Nacua left bite marks on a woman’s shoulder during an evening of revelry.

The latest twist is a color photo of well-defined teeth marks that the plaintiff in a civil lawsuit against Nacua says he left on her shoulder. The lawsuit was filed in March, but the plaintiff’s attorney, Joseph M. Kar, sent copies of the photo to The Times and other outlets this week before discovery and other evidence sharing in the case has begun.

A black-and-white photo of the teeth marks was included in the civil complaint filed by Kar in March asking a Los Angeles Superior Court judge for monetary damages for gender violence, assault and battery and negligence.

Nacua’s attorney Levi McCathern acknowledges a bite occurred in a sprinter van while Nacua and the woman were part of a group celebrating on New Year’s Eve. But he describes it as the result of “horseplay” in the van and questions the timing of the plaintiff producing the color photo, speculating that her attorney wanted to give the lawsuit a headline on the eve of training camp.

He also said the authenticity of the bite marks on the photo — which form a circular shape with an absence of bruising — could be challenged in court by an expert in tooth reconstruction.

An image present in a court filing as evidence shows an impression on a woman's back.

An image present in a court filing as evidence shows an impression on a woman’s back. The plaintiff’s lawyer sent the photo to The Times. Puka Nacua’s attorney Levi McCathern acknowledged the bite but described it as “horseplay.”

(Law Office of Joseph M. Kar, PC)

“The marks look more like her back pressed against his face than an actual bite,” said McCathren, pointing out that video from the van published by TMZ shows a woman identified as the plaintiff twerking above Nacua, who appears to be sleeping.

In March, McCathern questioned the lawsuit being filed on the heels of the Seattle Seahawks’ Jaxon Smith-Njigba signing a record four-year, $168.6-million extension that Nacua could mirror, suggesting that Nacua’s impending wealth motivated her to seek monetary damages.

“That further underscores the complete lack of credibility behind these accusations,” McCathern said.

Kar described the incident as a vicious attack, saying that Nacua “bit her on her scapula leaving an impression of all his teeth, as well as he would not release [her] for what seemed to be 10-20 seconds, while Plaintiff was folded over and started crying and suffering severe physical and emotional pain.”

“Frankly, the color vs. the black/white [photo] was a non-sequitur for me,” Kar said. “A man attacked and bit a woman severely, he acted provocatively before, and had cursed at dinner.”

Nacua faced possible misdemeanor battery charges, but the Los Angeles city attorney’s office indicated in an email that “the matter is currently on track to be resolved through pre-filing diversion,” a program that allows eligible defendants to avoid criminal prosecution and jail time. The court agrees to dismiss the charges entirely if the defendant completes the required terms — such as community service, counseling or restitution.

The Rams were sufficiently alarmed to put the brakes on a contract extension that could have paid Nacua, 25, up to $160 million over four years. Instead, he will remain under the terms of the final year of his rookie contract, making about $5.8 million in 2026. Nacua led all NFL receivers with 129 receptions in 2025.

The incident came shortly after another behavioral issue involving Nacua that alarmed the Rams. He criticized NFL officials during a livestream and made a gesture regarded as antisemitic. Nacua apologized, but after the Rams’ loss to the Seahawks a few days later, Nacua criticized officials in a social media post from the locker room. The NFL fined him $25,000.

In March, Nacua checked into a rehab facility in Malibu. A few days later, Rams coach Sean McVay said, “I trust this kid’s heart” but that Nacua had some growing up to do and needed to represent the Rams just as well off the field as on.

“The play on the field is amazing [but] there is a responsibility in terms of representing all things not exclusive to just that,” McVay said. “He knows that those are expectations, and we are hopeful this will be an opportunity for him to learn and grow, and we are hopeful that he’s a Ram for a really long time.”

Nacua participated in a Rams team activity workout in May after leaving rehab and reflected on the experience.

“Something that I feel like I’ve learned is, it’s OK to ask for support,” he said. “And then to recognize the platform that I have in being a professional football player, and trying to use that for the betterment of myself and for those around me.”

Source link

Rams’ Puka Nacua talks about rehab, lawsuit, stalled mega deal

On the eve of his 25th birthday, Rams star receiver Puka Nacua said he was working on becoming a better person — and that if he continued on that journey the potential massive contract extension that appears to have stalled will take care of itself.

Nacua on Thursday addressed reporters for the first time since checking into a Malibu rehab facility in March. Nacua sought help after a string of incidents, which included a December incident that led to a civil lawsuit.

“Something that I feel like I’ve learned is, it’s OK to ask for support,” Nacua said after participating in an organized-team activity workout in Woodland Hills. “And then to recognize the platform that I have in being a professional football player, and trying to use that for the betterment of myself and for those around me.”

With an offense that features Nacua, quarterback Matthew Stafford — the reigning NFL most valuable player — and receiver Davante Adams, and a defense that includes edge rusher Jared Verse and All-Pro cornerback Trent McDuffie, the Rams are regarded as a favorite to play in Super Bowl LXI at SoFi Stadium.

Last season, Nacua led the NFL with 129 receptions and was voted All-Pro. The 2023 fifth-round draft pick is entering the final year of his rookie contract, and he is eligible for an extension that could surpass the $120-million deal the Seattle Seahawks gave receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba.

But incidents last season and this offseason caused the Rams to put off talks about awarding Nacua an extension.

During a livestream last December, Nacua criticized NFL officials and made a gesture regarded as antisemitic. Nacua apologized, but after the Rams’ loss to the Seahawks a few days later, Nacua criticized officials in a social media post from the locker room. The NFL fined him $25,000.

In the lawsuit, a woman alleged that Nacua made an antisemitic remark during a group dinner and then bit her while riding in a vehicle.

Rams wide receiver Puka Nacua smiles after speaking to reporters at Rams OTAs at the training facility.

Rams wide receiver Puka Nacua smiles after speaking to reporters during organized team activities at the training facility in Woodland Hills on Thursday.

(Gary Klein / Los Angeles Times)

His attorney has denied that Nacua made an antisemitic remark and said the bite resulted from “horseplay.”

On Thursday, when asked about the allegations, Nacua declined to comment specifically.

“With it being an ongoing legal battle, out of respect for the other party involved, don’t really have much to speak on,” he said, adding: “A moment for me to learn from, kind of some of the situations I was putting myself in, and then also having just an awareness of how I’m conducting myself in and out of this football field.”

Nacua said he made the decision to seek help with the support from those in his “inner circle.”

“I like to think of myself as a pretty happy outgoing guy that enjoyed life,” he said. “But there also were some difficulties of just being in this professional sport and just throughout my entire life.”

The rehab program was a “short stint,” but Nacua said he continues to meet with a team therapist and has adopted tools such as journaling.

Nacua, who became a father in October, said he was also motivated to continue self-improvement work as a way of sharing with and teaching his son.

“The great things I’ve been able to accomplish and to enjoy those moments, but then also to teach him in some of the mistakes that I’ve made,” he said. “So there’s an opportunity for him to learn before some of those wrong decisions can be made.”

Nacua’s “security in being able to be authentically honest about” seeking help was admirable, coach Sean McVay said.

“I think there’s real strength in some of the vulnerabilities,” McVay said, “and I’m really proud of him.”

Stafford, 38, said he talks with Nacua “nonstop” and that Nacua has looked “fantastic” during workouts.

“He’s a great person, a great kid, and just doing everything I can to try and give advice when it’s needed, or also just be his buddy too,” Stafford said. “I’m doing everything I can — I think everyone is, to just support him. … We’re happy he’s back doing his thing.”

Stafford spoke for the first time since signing a one-year, $55-million extension that keeps him under contract with the Rams through the 2027 season.

“Happy to have … next year taken care of if I decide to play — and they still want me back,” Stafford quipped. “Just excited to get that behind me, cause I just want to come out here and play and not think about that kind of stuff.

“So great to get that done sooner rather than later.”

Before Nacua’s string of incidents, the receiver also appeared on track to receive a possible extension before the 2026 season began.

Now, the Rams are expected to let him play out the season, and then possibly use the franchise tag for 2027 before making a long-term commitment.

Nacua said he could not imagine playing for another team.

“If I can continue to improve as a person, I know the coaches and the people around me are helping me improve as a football player,” he said. “So those are the things I can control, and hopefully allow those other things to handle themselves.”

Source link