Several wildfires in the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles spurred evacuations while firefighters continued battling several on Thursday. Image courtesy of UPI
Feb. 19 (UPI) — Firefighters are battling several conflagrations in the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles, the largest of which burned more than 283,000 acres in Oklahoma’s Beaver County.
The Beaver County fire is located along Ranger Road and was 15% contained late Thursday afternoon, while a nearby Morning Fire started at 10:30 a.m. CST and is situated southeast of Boyd.
Officials for the Booker Volunteer Fire Department said the Morning Fire was under control shortly after noon, but two active fires in Oklahoma’s Texas County were still active.
The Stevens Fire was 50% contained after burning more than 12,000 acres, while the Side Road Fire was 60% contained and had burned 3,680 acres as of Thursday afternoon.
Firefighters in Texas’ Oldham and Potter counties had the 18,423-acre Lavender Fire 20% contained during the afternoon hours, and an evacuation order for Valley De Oro had been lifted.
In Donley County, Texas, the 8 Ball Fire was 50% contained after burning 13,00 acres, while the Canadian Bridge Fire in Hutchinson County was 100% contained after burning 428 acres.
Fire departments in Bartlesville, Ochelata, Oglesby, Oglesby, Tulsa, Barnsdall and Washington County in Oklahoma fought several fires on Thursday, and Ochelata and southern Bartlesville residents were told to evacuate.
Livestock also have been moved out of the fire zones, and many others fled on their own accord as smoke from the fires spread nearby.
No fatalities have been reported, and there are no reports yet regarding structural damage from the many fires.
The Wall Street Journalreported that in addition to being told to get ready to head to the Middle East, the ships could soon be ordered to deploy. If that happens, the CSG would join the USS Abraham Lincoln CSG already in the region.
“The order to deploy could be issued in a matter of hours,” the Journal posited, citing anonymous officials. However, the order hasn’t been given and plans can change, it added.
EXCLU: The Pentagon has told a second aircraft carrier strike group to prepare to deploy to the Middle East as the U.S. military prepares for a potential attack on Iran, according to three U.S. officials. W @shelbyhollidayhttps://t.co/jMO6Bu6tFV
“One of the officials said the Pentagon was readying a carrier to deploy in two weeks, likely from the U.S. East Coast,” the newspaper noted. “The aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush is completing a series of training exercises off the coast of Virginia, and it could potentially expedite those exercises.”
The Nimitz class aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush ( transits the Mediterranean Sea, Jan. 24, 2023. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Nicholas Avis) USS George H.W. Bush transits the Mediterranean Sea, Jan. 24, 2023 during Juniper Oak 23.2. Credit: U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Nicholas Avis
We reached out to the Navy, which declined comment.
If a deployment order were issued today, it would still probably be mid-March before an East Coast-based CSG could arrive on station. Even with truncated pre-deployment workups, the ships would have to travel across the Atlantic to the Mediterranean Sea or even further through the Suez Canal to the Red Sea.
Another CSG, with its embarked tactical aircraft and Aegis-equipped escorts, would certainly bolster the forces massing in the region for a potential conflict with Iran. As we have frequently pointed out, there is not enough tactical airpower there now for a major sustained operation. A second CSG would be provide a significant help.
While no decision has yet to be made about a second CSG, the journey of F-35A stealth fighters from the Vermont Air National Guard (VANG) has apparently continued toward the Middle East. There are indications that six of the jets, which online flight tracking data shows took off from Lakenheath Air Base in the U.K. on Wednesday morning, were headed to Muwaffaq Salti Air Base in Jordan on Wednesday.
The F-35As would join a buildup of tactical jets on land and sea. As we have noted, there are F-15E Strike Eagles, A-10 Thunderbolt IIs and E/A-18G Growler electronic warfare jets based on land in the region. There may well be additional fighters, but in relatively small numbers, that remain unaccounted in the open source space. That’s in addition to the F-35C stealth fighters, F/A-18E/F Super Hornets and Growlers embarked aboard the Lincoln. There are also at least nine other warships in the region, including several Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyers, and more than 30,000 troops in bases around the Middle East. Submarines are also there, but their presence is not disclosed.
Meanwhile, Trump held a three-hour meeting at the White House with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The Israeli leader came to Washington hoping to convince Trump not to accept any deal that does not include halting Iran’s nuclear weapons ambitions and eliminating its massive stockpile of missiles.
After the meeting, Trump took to social media to say he was still seeking a negotiated settlement with Iran, but would attack if that did not work out.
“I have just finished meeting with Prime Minister Netanyahu, of Israel, and various of his Representatives,” Trump exclaimed on his Truth Social network. “It was a very good meeting, the tremendous relationship between our two Countries continues. There was nothing definitive reached other than I insisted that negotiations with Iran continue to see whether or not a Deal can be consummated. If it can, I let the Prime Minister know that will be a preference. If it cannot, we will just have to see what the outcome will be.”
Trump went on to issue another threat against Iran.
“Last time Iran decided that they were better off not making a Deal, and they were hit with Midnight Hammer — That did not work well for them,” he stated, referring to the attack last June on Iran’s nuclear weapons facilities. “Hopefully this time they will be more reasonable and responsible…”
Regardless of what he ultimately decides, leak-driven speculation that a second aircraft carrier could be headed to the Middle East gives Trump another tool to pressure Iran. Given the gravity of this situation, we will continue to watch as it evolves.