The ONS says net migration fell to 171,000 in the 12 months to the end of December from 331,000 a year earlier.
Published On 21 May 202621 May 2026
Long-term net migration to the United Kingdom nearly halved in 2025, falling to levels last seen before the post-Brexit immigration system was introduced, as tougher government measures enacted in recent years restricted arrivals.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said on Thursday that net migration fell to 171,000 in the 12 months to the end of December from 331,000 a year earlier, extending a sharp decline from a record peak of 944,000 in 2023.
Recommended Stories
list of 3 itemsend of list
Immigration – both legal and illegal – has dominated political debate in the for more than a decade, with successive governments imposing stricter visa rules and higher salary thresholds. The current government has pledged to go further.
The British Future think tank said the country was “experiencing one of the sharpest falls in net migration on record”, but that most people believed the opposite, according to its research.
Interior Minister Shabana Mahmood welcomed the progress from tighter policies, but said that there was still work to do.
“We will always welcome those who contribute to this country and wish to build a better life here. But we must restore order and control to our borders,” she said, adding that the government’s new skills-based migration would reward contribution and end reliance on “cheap overseas workers”.
On Saturday, far-right activist Tommy Robinson drew tens of thousands of people in London to attend his “unite the kingdom” march. Islamophobic and ethnonationalist hate flyers were reportedly distributed to the crowds. “In a country saturated with degenerates, grifters and imported political enemies … We are a brotherhood of White Europeans who share the same values,” read one leaflet.
Meanwhile, employers and economists have raised concerns about labour shortages, particularly in sectors such as care and hospitality.
The ONS said long-term net migration was now close to its level before the new immigration system was introduced at the start of 2021, when the UK transitioned out of European Union membership, and when COVID restrictions were still in place.
The drop reflects policy changes implemented from 2024, when the previous Conservative government banned most international students from bringing dependents and raised salary thresholds for skilled worker visas.
The current Labour government has tightened policies further as it seeks to counter Nigel Farage’s populist Reform UK party, which campaigns on an anti-migration platform and holds a double-digit lead in opinion polls.
To that end, the government last year moved to end overseas recruitment of care workers, the single biggest driver of work migration in recent years, and raised the salary threshold for skilled worker visas further. It has since announced more sweeping reforms, including plans to speed up deportations of those arriving illegally and double the qualifying period for some workers to obtain settled status to 10 years, as well as making refugee status temporary.
“I’m very pleased to report that 2026 is off to a strong start” and the company “deliver[ed] first quarter net revenue of $16.7 million, an increase of 65% year-over-year and 16% sequentially,” with “first quarter gross margin” at “77.7%,” according to (Executive chairman, CEO & president
Seeking Alpha’s Disclaimer:This article was automatically generated by an AI tool based on content available on the Seeking Alpha website, and has not been curated or reviewed by humans. Due to inherent limitations in using AI-based tools, the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of such articles cannot be guaranteed. This article is intended for informational purposes only. Seeking Alpha does not take account of your objectives or your financial situation and does not offer any personalized investment advice. Seeking Alpha is not a licensed securities dealer, broker or US investment adviser or investment bank.
Netmarble said that such new games as “Stone Age: Idle Adventure” and “The Seven Deadly Sins: Origin” boosted its results for the January-March period. Image courtesy of Netmarble
SEOUL, May 7 (UPI) — South Korean game publisher Netmarble said Thursday that sales and profitability improved during the first three months of this year, driven by the solid performance of new titles.
The Seoul-based company noted that its first-quarter sales amounted to $450 million, up 4.5% from a year earlier, for an operating profit of $37 million, up 6.8%. Its net profit soared 163% to $146 million thanks to gains related to asset disposals.
Netmarble said that such new games as “Stone Age: Idle Adventure” and “The Seven Deadly Sins: Origin” boosted its results for the January-March period.
It said that international markets generated 79% of total revenue. North America accounted for the biggest share at 41%, followed by South Korea with 21%, Europe with 13%, and Southeast Asia with 12%.
The company expected stronger revenue momentum from the second quarter as newly published titles are set to contribute to earnings throughout the entire quarter.
“The release of our major games was concentrated toward the end of the first quarter, limiting their contribution to sales. But our business fundamentals remained stable as shown by the growth of both revenue and operating profit,” Netmarble CEO Kim Byung-gyu said in a statement.
“Based on our diversified portfolio, we expect to see both top-line growth and improved profitability starting in the second quarter as revenue from new titles begins to be reflected in earnest,” he added.
The share price of Netmarble declined 2.79% on the Seoul bourse Thursday.
Seeing Tripp King flick a rubber ball toward the net with his stick is like spotting an unidentified flying object and wondering if you missed it because the shot happens faster than the blink of an eye.
His lacrosse coach at Loyola High, Jimmy Borell, brings out one of those baseball radar guns twice a year to clock how fast his players can send that ball through a net.
King’s right hand delivers the ball at 100 mph and his left hand at 90 mph.
“I pray he doesn’t cut the net,” Borell said.
In a sport that’s beloved on the East Coast, King is helping bring respect to lacrosse players learning the game on the West Coast.
He started lacrosse in kindergarten, showing up to participate in South Bay Lacrosse Club. By first grade, he was wearing lacrosse pads. He also played football and basketball. When he reached Loyola as a freshman, he was still a three-sport athlete, but he had become so talented in lacrosse that it became his focus.
“I always loved the speed of lacrosse,” said the junior. “I see that similarity in basketball. It’s always pulled me knowing you have to be good at everything instead of one particular skill.”
At 6 feet 1 and 200 pounds with the thick calves of a football player, he’s an attacker that every opponent must track. He’ll stand behind the net ready to receive the ball and make a pass to teammates who will quickly get the ball back to him for a goal with one flick of his wrist.
He had 102 points during the regular season (65 goals, 37 assists) for a Loyola team seeded No. 1 for the seven-team Southern Section Division 1 playoffs that begin this week. Loyola has a bye in the opening round and won’t play until May 9.
“He’s pretty special,” Borell said. “He’s got the tangibles, very skilled, can use both of his hands and has a very quick step.”
He’s committed to North Carolina, which is a dream come true since he was born to be a Tar Heel. Both of his parents went to North Carolina.
Tripp King, wearing No. 11, is an attacker for Loyola’s No. 1-ranked lacrosse team.
(Eric Sondheimer / Los Angeles Times)
“I’ve grown up a Tar Heel,” he said.
He’s also a kind, friendly future Tar Heel, something you can’t always say about lacrosse players who often feel they are either entitled or frustrated when people don’t pay enough attention to them.
Classmates swear by King.
“Nice,” is what several told me.
He returns to the South Bay Lacrosse Club to give back, working with young players just like when somebody helped him as a 5-year-old.
He’s someone ready to head to the East Coast determined to be proof of how determined West Coast players have become.
“A lot of the stereotypes of the West Coast are surfer boy or doesn’t take it seriously,” he said. “We’ve made it an atmosphere at Loyola where every day we’re waking up at 5 o’clock for 6 a.m. practices. We’re getting in extra work before and after practice. I think that lazier, not tough stereotype isn’t true. The West Coast is growing.”
King lives in Manhattan Beach, where celebrities and pro athletes can be seen walking or riding bikes on any given day.
King is only 17, but if he’s taking a walk or riding a bike, pay attention, because one day, he’s going to be recognized as lacrosse trendsetter from the West Coast.
The Colorado Avalanche rode swagger, poise and the league’s stingiest goaltender to the best record in the NHL this season. And nothing about that formula has changed in the postseason, with goals from Gabriel Landeskog, Cale Makar, Artturi Lehkonen and Brock Nelson giving Colorado a 4-2 win Thursday over the Kings and a commanding 3-0 lead in their best-of-seven first-round playoff series.
The Kings, who have lost their last six first-round playoff series, need a victory at home Sunday to extend their season. Their goals in Game 3 came from Trevor Moore in the second period and Adrian Kempe on a third-period power play.
“They’re best team in the league for a reason. But we’re right there,” forward Quinton Byfield said. “We’re a confident group.”
“One game at home. Must-win game,” defenseman Drew Doughty added. “Everyone’s going to give everything they’ve got. We’ve got to win that one, and then hopefully get to go back to Denver.”
Colorado Avalanche defenseman Devon Toews celebrates a goal by defenseman Cale Makar on Kings goaltender Anton Forsberg during the second period of Game 3 Thursday at Crypto.com Arena.
(Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)
The difference in the series has been Avalanche goalie Scott Wedgewood, who was nearly perfect again, making 24 saves to place the Kings 60 minutes away from the offseason.
Anton Forsberg, playing in the postseason for the first time, has been almost as good in goal for the Kings, though he was victimized by two fluke goals and an empty-netter.
“Both goalies in the series have been unbelievable,” Kings coach D.J. Smith said. “Give Wedgewood credit. This guy looks like he’s putting his name on the circuit as a big-time goalie.”
The Avalanche, who certainly haven’t needed many lucky breaks in this series, got one early in the first period when Landeskog spun and launched a wild wrister from the blue line that went well wide of the net, only to have the puck carom off the end boards and into the net off Forsberg’s right skate blade.
The goal was the second in as many games for the Colorado captain.
The Kings then got their own break six minutes into the second period when Alex Laferriere jumped Brett Kulak’s clearing pass in the neutral jump and fed Byfield, whose pass into the crease struck Moore’s leg and ricocheted past Wedgewood to tie the score.
Colorado defenseman Devon Toews reaches for the puck against Kings right wing Quinton Byfield in the first period.
(Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)
Colorado needed less than seven minutes to get the lead back, with Makar getting the puck along the boards on the left wing, skating into space at the point, then zipping a wrist shot through heavy traffic and just under the crossbar.
The Avalanche then increased the advantage 7:39 in the final period after Kempe fanned a shot from the point. Lehkonen collected the loose puck and took it the length of the ice before deflecting a centering pass off Kempe’s skate and by Forsberg for a short-handed goal, his second score of the series.
That appeared to put the game away, but after the Kings pulled Forsberg for an extra attacker, Kempe halved the deficit on a tip-in with 4:02 to play. But then Nelson forced a turnover and scored into the empty net with 2:18 left.
The six goals combined matched the total number from the first two games in Colorado.
“We’ve got to keep doing a lot of the things that we are doing,” Doughty said. “Obviously, we got to clean up giving up some of these chances that we’re giving up.”
Kings goalie Anton Forsberg covers the puck as Colorado left wing Gabriel Landeskog battles for it in the second period.
(Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)
The Kings’ penalty kill, which ranked 30th in the 32-team league during the regular season, has been brilliant against the Avalanche, turning back all nine Colorado power plays. That, plus stellar play for Forsberg in goal, has frustrated the NHL’s top-scoring team.
But against Wedgewood, the Kings have mustered little offense, scoring just four goals in the series — three times on the power play and once off Moore’s leg.
“We’d like to get more than two goals. Against this team, I don’t think it’s enough,” Doughty said. “I don’t think we’re creating enough grade-A chances on Wedgewood. He has played well, so for us to beat them, we’ve got to wear them down in the D-zone, make them tired and score goals that way. And we haven’t done that enough.”
They’re guaranteed just one more chance to turn that around.
“There’s no quit in there,” Smith said of the Kings’ locker room. “And I think you’ll see our best game. To a man, we want to give them a real good outing and push this series back to Colorado.”
In each of the last four seasons, the Kings have opened the Stanley Cup playoffs against the Edmonton Oilers. They lost each time.
So on Sunday the Kings tried a different route, opening against the Colorado Avalanche.
They lost, 2-1.
The goals came from Artturi Lehkonen late in the second period and Logan O’Connor early in the third. The Kings made a game of it late, pulling goaltender Anton Fosberg with 2:57 to play and getting a power-play goal from Artemi Panarin 35 seconds later. But that was as close as they would get.
Maybe the Kings should have been careful what they wished for. Because while the Avalanche aren’t the Oilers, they’re better — much better — than any of the recent Edmonton teams.
This season they won the Presidents’ Trophy, the prize that goes to the team with the best regular-season record in the league, and they earned it by scoring the most goals and giving up the fewest in the NHL. They also had the best home record in the Western Conference and the best road record in the league.
And they started quickly Sunday, putting four shots on goal in the first four minutes. But Forsberg was spectacular, making 28 saves to keep the Kings in the game.
Colorado thought it had beaten him less than seven minutes into the second period when O’Connor found the back of the net from the right circle but the goal was waved off by a goalie interference call on Jack Drury, who tumbled into the crease as O’Connor was releasing his shot. The Avalanche questioned the call, claiming Kings defender Drew Doughty had pushed Drury from behind, but they lost the challenge.
There was no doubt about Colorado’s next goal, which came 4:31 before the second intermission when Lehkonen, defended tightly by Doughty, was able to reach out his stick and sweep in the rebound of Nathan MacKinnon‘s shot from the right boards.
The Avalanche doubled their advantage 5:50 into the third period when Joel Edmundson lost the puck in the Kings’ zone, allowing O’Connor to collect it and race defenseman Cody Ceci to the front of the net before beating Forsberg cleanly. Drury got an assist on the play.
The game, which had been physical all afternoon, turned chippy after that, giving the Kings a power play they took advantage to halve Colorado’s lead. But the Avalanche then closed out the game to a 1-0 lead in the series.
The best-of-seven playoff resumes Tuesday night in Denver before moving to the Crypto.com Arena on Thursday.
Earnings Call Insights: Regions Financial Corporation (RF) Q1 2026
Management View
“This morning, we reported strong first quarter earnings of $539 million or $0.62 per share,” said (President, CEO & Chairman John Turner), adding, “We grew loans and deposits on both an average and ending basis, and our credit metrics continue
Newsletters for Every Investor
Get daily, sector-specific newsletters packed with expert insights, fresh ideas, and new opportunities.
Subscribe to Newsletters
Seeking Alpha’s Disclaimer:This article was automatically generated by an AI tool based on content available on the Seeking Alpha website, and has not been curated or reviewed by humans. Due to inherent limitations in using AI-based tools, the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of such articles cannot be guaranteed. This article is intended for informational purposes only. Seeking Alpha does not take account of your objectives or your financial situation and does not offer any personalized investment advice. Seeking Alpha is not a licensed securities dealer, broker or US investment adviser or investment bank.
KeyCorp plans to repurchase at least $1.3 billion in shares in 2026, raised from prior guidance of $1.2 billion, and indicated that Basel III revisions could add over 100 basis points to CET1, potentially enabling even more buybacks if market conditions allow.