Manuel

Son of Mexico’s former president AMLO alleges US revoked his visa | Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador News

The US has not confirmed the revocation, which comes amid crackdown on Mexican politicians with alleged ties to cartels.

The son of former Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has accused the United States of revoking his visa in a politically motivated manoeuvre.

Andres Manuel Lopez Beltran made the allegation late on Thursday in a public letter addressed to US President Donald Trump and posted on social media.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

He accused US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and his deputy, Christopher Landau, of ordering the visa revocation.

“There is no reason whatsoever to justify such an arrogant action,” Lopez Beltran wrote to Trump. “It is worth emphasising that these officials have no evidence against me regarding any immoral or criminal act.”

The US State Department has not publicly responded to his claim.

His letter comes as part of a trend of visa revocations from the US. Several Mexican officials, across the political spectrum, have had their visas cancelled, as part of what the Trump administration characterises as a broad crackdown on individuals linked to drug cartels.

Who is Lopez Beltran?

The 39-year-old Lopez Beltran is a prominent politician in Mexico, having recently stepped down from the leadership of the left-wing Morena party.

His father founded the party in 2011 and went on to govern Mexico as its president from 2018 to 2024.

Currently, another Morena politician, Claudia Sheinbaum, holds the presidency, and Morena boasts decisive majorities in both chambers of Mexico’s Congress.

Lopez Beltran is expected to run for a seat in the Chamber of Deputies next year.

For much of his father’s presidency, Lopez Beltran stayed out of party politics, instead focusing on his chocolate business.

However, he was elected Morena’s secretary of organisation in September 2024, just weeks before his father left office.

In his letter, Lopez Beltran called the revocation “a ⁠⁠crude and perverse act”, saying US officials target Mexican politicians by falsely labelling them as “communists”, “threats to US security” or “narco-terrorists”.

Sheinbaum reacts to letter

On Friday, Sheinbaum said she was unaware of any investigations by Mexican prosecutors into Lopez Beltran.

“This amounts to interference ⁠⁠in Mexican politics,” Sheinbaum said at her morning news briefing. “I see no other reason for it.”

Sheinbaum has also walked a careful line in responding to the Trump administration’s hardline approach to cartels and cross-border crime, pledging to cooperate.

But she has also said she would protect Mexico’s sovereignty from any foreign interference, and while she has welcomed collaboration with US intelligence, she has reportedly declined Trump’s offers of US military action on Mexican soil.

Last month, she also rejected a statement by the head of the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) that her government has ties to organised crime, a frequent Trump talking point.

In April, she decried the US’s decision to charge Sinaloa Governor Ruben Rocha, another Morena party official, with drug trafficking and weapons-related offences.

She has argued that the indictment lacks evidence and that such investigations should be left to Mexican prosecutors.

The Trump administration has accused Rocha’s campaign of having worked with the powerful Sinaloa Cartel, the criminal organisation it considers a “foreign terrorist organisation”.

Rocha announced in May that he would take a temporary leave of absence from his position as governor to defend himself from the charges.

Source link

Shakira and Lincoln Lawyer hunk Manuel Garcia-Rulfo spark dating rumors as pair is spotted together at L.A. hotel

SHAKIRA has sparked dating rumors with hunky actor Manuel Garcia-Rulfo.

The pair were seen leaving a hotel together in Los Angeles on Monday, days after Shakira turned up the heat at the World Cup opening.

Shakira and the Lincoln Lawyer hunk were seen looking friendly in West Hollywood on Monday Credit: BackGrid
Manuel Garcia-Rulfo was ever the gentleman for the singer Credit: BackGrid

Hips Don’t Lie singer Shakira and Manuel, who is known for starring in Lincoln Lawyer, were waiting at a valet stand outside the Sunset Tower Hotel.

As they waited for their vehicle in West Hollywood, the pair were seen smiling and chatting.

The photographs show that once their car arrived, Manuel proved chivalry isn’t dead.

He was ever the gentleman and politely opened Shakira’s door and waited for her to get in before he closed it.

The pair were waiting at a valet for their car Credit: BackGrid
Manuel helped Shakira into the car by opening the door Credit: BackGrid
He drove them away as the pair smiled Credit: BackGrid
They left the Sunset Tower Hotel looking content and happy Credit: BackGrid

Mexican hunk Manuel then walked around to the driver’s side and got in before driving off.

Shakira, 49, wore a simple outfit comprising of a black tank top with some blue jeans and some black boots.

Meanwhile, 45-year-old Manuel wore blue jeans, a black T-shirt and a matching jacket.

The couple looked incredibly content in one another’s company, and as they drove off they were both beaming.

Most read in Entertainment

The snaps were quick to circulate online, with fans rushing to react.

“Truth is, the dude really is hot. Even if it’s casual, I’m glad. Good for Shaki,” said one person on X.

“Omg what an upgrade,” penned a second.

While a third wrote: “The way those photos look like they’re from 2000 omg Shakira ages like wine.”

Someone else then echoed: “If you tell me it’s from 2002, I’ll believe you.”

And a fifth said: “Baby, doesn’t it feel like you’re seeing an old photo? It looks the same.”

Shakira has most recently been romantically linked to Lucien Laviscount.

Back in February, she took to Instagram to hard launch her relationship with the actor.

The relationship began after they met in early 2024 on the set of her music video for Puntería, in which he played her love interest.

But ahead of the World Cup, Shakira noted that she has “no space or time” for a relationship.

“Oh no, no romance for me for now,” Shakira told The Times recently, hinting she and Lucien were no longer an item.

“There’s no space or time in my life for that. My plate is quite full.

“My kids are my priority. And my career. Strangely enough, I’m in love with my career like I’ve never been in my life. I’m enjoying my time alone as well.”

Source link

Juan Manuel Santos on Colombia’s peace process, 10 years on | Politics

Ten years after Colombia’s landmark peace agreement, former president Juan Manuel Santos assesses its legacy. The Nobel Peace Prize laureate discusses renewed violence, political divisions and what Colombia’s experience can teach a world facing growing conflict.

Source link

French Open 2026 results: Jannik Sinner hit by injury in shock second-round loss to Juan Manuel Cerundolo

It is a bitterly disappointing way to exit the tournament for Sinner, whose favourite tag was enhanced further with defending champion and great rival Carlos Alcaraz missing with injury.

With 24-time Grand Slam-winner Novak Djokovic also nearing the end of his illustrious career, fitness was expected to be one of the biggest obstacles to Sinner’s bid for glory.

Paris has seen unseasonably hot weather, with temperatures topping 34C, and Sinner has struggled previously in extreme heat.

Sinner was also on a 30-match winning streak, having won five Masters 1000 titles in a row over the past three months on hard and clay courts.

He cramped badly in temperatures close to 40C at this year’s Australian Open, and admitted he “got lucky” when the heat rule was enforced in his third-round match against Eliot Spizzirri in Melbourne.

After opening his campaign against Clement Tabur in Tuesday’s cooler night session, Sinner was first on court against Cerundolo in a rare move by Roland Garros organisers.

The last time a men’s number one opened proceedings on Court Philippe Chatrier before the semi-final stage was 10 years ago, when Novak Djokovic beat Tomas Berdych in the quarter-finals.

Although Sinner seemed to benefit initially from the early start, the physical issues that have hampered his display in previous matches in extreme heat resurfaced.

Source link