link

NIS employee’s alleged drone link raises oversight questions

The National Intelligence Service Logo photo taken at the agency’s headquarters in Seoul, South Korea, 01 November 2023. File. Photo by YONHAP / EPA

Feb. 18 (Asia Today) — An alleged financial link between a National Intelligence Service employee and a graduate student accused of sending a drone to North Korea has fueled questions about oversight and accountability within South Korea’s intelligence community, an Asia Today columnist wrote Tuesday.

The case surfaced last month when authorities disclosed that a man in his 30s had allegedly sent an unmanned aerial vehicle to North Korea. Initial investigations focused on possible involvement by the Army Intelligence Command.

However, political and intelligence sources cited in the column questioned why the National Intelligence Service, widely regarded as the control tower of South Korea’s intelligence apparatus, was not initially central to the probe.

The controversy deepened when investigators said an NIS Grade 8 employee had engaged in financial transactions with the graduate student. A joint military-police task force reportedly applied charges including general treason, a serious offense involving harm to national military interests or aiding an enemy state.

The NIS said the matter involved “a personal financial transaction by an administrative department employee” and denied any organizational link to North Korea-related operations. The agency argued that without proof of institutional involvement, the actions of an individual cannot be attributed to the entire organization.

The columnist wrote that regardless of whether the agency was formally involved, sustained contact and financial dealings between an intelligence officer and a suspect in a North Korea-related case raise concerns that go beyond individual misconduct.

The commentary also questioned whether internal control systems functioned properly and whether warning signs were missed. It noted that less than two years have passed since a separate intelligence leak involving a civilian employee at the military intelligence service.

The writer argued that the issue ultimately points to the broader condition of South Korea’s intelligence oversight system and called for a thorough investigation to address public doubts.

— Reported by Asia Today; translated by UPI

© Asia Today. Unauthorized reproduction or redistribution prohibited.

Original Korean report: https://www.asiatoday.co.kr/kn/view.php?key=20260218010005525

Source link

Beloved ferry link that connected UK to Europe could return after 18 years

A popular ferry service that linked the UK with Norway was withdrawn in 2008, but it could return, as there have been calls to restore the route that connects the twin cities

There have been calls to restore the popular DFDS ferry service linking the UK to the Norwegian city of Bergen, 18 years after it was discontinued.

The beloved DFDS ferry linking Tyneside to the Scandinavian port ceased operations in 2008. However, the upcoming launch of new direct flights from Newcastle to Bergen this year has reignited demands for the maritime connection to be revived as well.

The two cities have maintained their twin status since 1968, with Bergen previously sending Newcastle an annual Christmas tree for decades as a symbol of their bond, though this custom has since ceased due to environmental considerations. While operators consider restoring the ferry service financially unviable, Newcastle City Council leader Karen Kilgour informed colleagues on Wednesday that enthusiasm for reinstating the route persists.

READ MORE: Passport Office issues ‘be ready’ alert to anyone born in 2010READ MORE: Best country to retire in 2026 with great healthcare and food — full list

The Labour councillor revealed to a full council session that she anticipated the Jet2 flights commencing this April would “prove popular enough to allow the company to offer year-long flight options connecting our two great cities”.

Coun Kilgour continued: “Not only will this assist our economic links through strategic sectors in offshore energy but also allow tourists to take advantage of city breaks. We would also love to see the return of the ferry, which stopped running in 2008. We know lots of people in both cities have fond memories of travelling by sea to visit both Newcastle and Bergen, reports Chronicle Live.

“And while at this point operators consider the route is not economically viable, we will continue to work with partners and our friends in Bergen to explore all ways of bringing it back. Bergen remains a strategic partner in our international work and we intend not only to maintain but to deepen that relationship in the months ahead.”

The possibility of reinstating a ferry service is believed to have been hampered by the requirement to construct an expanded passport control facility at Bergen’s port should operations resume.

Lib Dem councillor Greg Stone, who has consistently championed the ferry’s return on a historic route stretching back to 1890, commented: “Warm words are one thing, but we need to make it a reality. I know there are costs involved in doing that but I hope the council will continue that work, redouble that work, and work potentially with the mayor [Kim McGuinness] to look at what we can do to restore the physical ferry link.”

Travellers are delighted at the prospect of the ferry route returning, as one shared on Facebook: “That would be great, I would be on that like a flash.” A second commented: “An absolute necessity to get this route back again. Bergen/Stavanger – Newcastle.”

A third wrote: “Out of all the routes lost the return of the Bergen route would be the most successful. Bergen is a great place to visit and is also the gateway to the rest of Norway.” Reminiscing another shared: “It used to go to Hamburg as well and I went there on DFDS with my nana and grandad to visit family when I was a kid.”

One more shared: “I so hope so. Pity it may not go to Haugesund and Stavanger, but I can take Bergen. It would be amazing to have the ship back again, so we can connect again with beautiful Norway. My homeland, on my father’s side.”

Do you have a travel story to share? Email webtravel@reachplc.com

Source link