Authorities in India say they’re investigating the cause of a plane crash that killed Ajit Pawar, the deputy chief minister of India’s Maharashtra state, and four others on board. Here’s what we know so far.
A Russian drone strike on a passenger train in Ukraine’s northeastern Kharkiv region has killed at least five people. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy denounced the attack as an act of terrorism.
WASHINGTON — Families of two Trinidadian nationals killed in a Trump administration boat strike last October sued the federal government on Tuesday, calling the attack a war crime and part of an “unprecedented and manifestly unlawful U.S. military campaign.”
The lawsuit is thought to be the first wrongful death case arising from the three dozen strikes that the administration has launched since September on boats in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific Ocean. The complaint will test the legal justification of the Trump administration attacks; government officials have defended them as necessary to stem the flow of drugs into the United States but many legal experts say they amount to a brazen violation of the laws of armed conflict.
The complaint echoes many of the frequently articulated concerns about the boat strikes, noting for instance that they have been carried out without congressional authorization and at a time when there is no military conflict between the United States and drug cartels that under the laws of war could justify the lethal attacks.
“These premeditated and intentional killings lack any plausible legal justification. Thus, they were simply murders, ordered by individuals at the highest levels of government and obeyed by military officers in the chain of command,” the lawsuit says.
The Defense Department said in an email that it does not comment on ongoing litigation.
The lawsuit was filed by the mother of Chad Joseph and the sister of Rishi Samaroo, two Trinidadian nationals who were among six people killed in an October 14 missile strike on a boat traveling from Venezuela to Trinidad. The men were not members of any drug cartel, the lawsuit says, but had instead been fishing in the waters off the Venezuelan coast and were returning to their homes in Trinidad and Tobago.
The two had caught a ride home to Las Cuervas, a fishing community where they were from, on a small boat targeted in a strike announced on Truth Social by President Trump. All six people aboard the boat were killed.
“These killings were wrongful because they took place outside of armed conflict and in circumstances in which Mr. Joseph and Mr. Samaroo were not engaged in activities that presented a concrete, specific, and imminent threat of death or serious physical injury, and where there were means other than lethal force that could have reasonably been employed to neutralize any such threat,” the lawsuit says.
The death toll from the boat strikes is now up to at least 126 people, with the inclusion of those presumed dead after being lost at sea, the U.S. military confirmed Monday. The figure includes 116 people who were killed immediately in at least 36 attacks carried out since early September, with 10 others believed dead because searchers did not locate them following a strike.
The lawsuit is the first to challenge the legality of the boat strikes in court, according to Jen Nessel, a spokesperson for the Center for Constitutional Rights, which filed the lawsuit in federal court in Massachusetts on behalf of the families, along with the ACLU and others.
Nessel said in an email that the center also has a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit seeking the release of the legal justification for the strikes.
But it was anything but business as usual for everyone involved.
“For the second time in less than three weeks, we’ve lost another beloved member of our community in the most unimaginable way,” Timberwolves coach Chris Finch told reporters before the game.
“As an organization, we are heartbroken for what we are having to witness and endure and watch, and we just want to extend our thoughts, prayers and concern for Mr. Pretti, his family, all the loved ones and everyone involved in such an unconscionable situation in a community that we really love, full of people who are by nature, peaceful and prideful.”
Earlier this month, the Department of Homeland Security launched a massive immigration crackdown in Minnesota. That action has led to mass protests and conflicts between federal agents and local residents.
Minneapolis resident Renee Good, a 37-year-old mother of three, was shot and killed behind the wheel of her car Jan. 7 by a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer. Pretti, an intensive care nurse, died Saturday after being shot by a Border Patrol officer during an immigration enforcement operation. Both Good and Petri were U.S. citizens.
Finch said Sunday that the previous day’s game was postponed because “playing basketball just didn’t feel like the right thing to do.” The Timberwolves are scheduled to host Golden State again Monday night at Target Center.
“This is my home, and I love living here,” said Finch, who was hired by the Timberwolves in February 2021. “I love being a part of this community, been embraced from Day One, people have been amazing. And it’s just sad to watch what is happening, you know, on the human level, certainly, as somebody who takes great pride being here.”
Before Sunday’s game at Target Center, a moment of silence was held “honoring the life and memory of Alex Pretti.” The actual silence lasted about five seconds before members of the crowd started shouting expletives directed toward ICE.
The video board at Target Center shows a photo of Alex Pretti during a moment of silence before the Golden State Warriors-Minnesota Timberwolves game on Jan. 25.
(David Berding / Getty Images)
Some fans held signs reading “ICE Out Now,” while some members of a trampoline dunk team providing in-game entertainment wore shirts that echoed the sentiment.
The game itself ended up being a blowout loss for the Timberwolves.
“Honestly, what I felt was that their group was suffering,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr said after his team’s 111-85 victory. “I thought the vibe in the stands, it was one of the most bizarre, sad games I’ve ever been a part of. You could feel in the somber atmosphere, their team, we could tell they were struggling with everything that’s been going on and what the city has been through. It was very sad. It was a sad night.
“Obviously we got the win and we’re happy about that, but very difficult to see so many people struggling and sad. They came to the game to try to forget about stuff, I guess, but I don’t think anything went away for the city and for their team. I think they were suffering from the effects of everything.”
Warriors star Stephen Curry said he could sense “a lot of heavy hearts” in and around the arena.
“There’s a lot of change that needs to happen,” Curry told reporters after the game. “And when you’re here and you feel it — I was glued to the TV yesterday when we weren’t playing, just watching the coverage and understanding what was going on, and trying to really, you know, get knowledgeable about it. Hopefully, again, the community kind of comes together and the right decisions are made so that there’s more of a peaceful environment here.”
Timberwolves star Anthony Edwards said after the game: “I just love Minnesota, all the love and support that they show me. So I’m behind whatever they’re with. Me and my family are definitely praying for everybody.”
Teammate Julius Randle added: “Been nothing but a joy living here, so things like this happening in the community, it’s tough.”
The NBA Players Assn. released a statement Sunday saying that “NBA players can no longer remain silent.”
“Now more than ever, we must defend the right to freedom of speech and stand in solidarity with the people in Minnesota protesting and risking their lives to demand justice,” the union wrote. “The fraternity of NBA players, like the United States itself, is a community enriched by its global citizens, and we refuse to let the flames of division threaten the civil liberties that are meant to protect us all.”
Indiana Pacers star Tyrese Haliburton spoke out Saturday with a four-word post on X: “Alex Pretti was murdered.”
Five-time All-Star Karl-Anthony Towns, who played his first nine seasons with the Timberwolves before being traded to the Knicks in 2024, also expressed himself on X.
1/7
Crowds of onlookers gather after federal agents allegedly shot a protester amid a scuffle to arrest him on Saturday in Minneapolis. The Trump administration has sent a reported 3,000 federal agents into the area, with more on the way, as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants in the region. (Stephen Maturen / Getty Images)
2/7
Residents sit near a makeshift blockade at the scene of a shooting by a federal law enforcement agent in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Saturday, Jan. 24, 2026. (Jaida Grey Eagle / Bloomberg via Getty Images)
3/7
Federal agents point weapons amid tear gas fired at protesters on Saturday in Minneapolis. (Stephen Maturen / Getty Images)
4/7
A protester wears a gas mask as demonstrators gather near the site of where state and local authorities say a man was shot by federal agents earlier Saturday morning in Minneapolis (Roberto Schmidt / AFP via Getty Images)
5/7
Federal immigration officers deploy pepper spray at observers after a shooting Saturday in Minneapolis. (Abbie Parr / Associated Press)
6/7
A person is tackled by federal agents amid protests following a shooting on Saturday in Minneapolis. Federal agents allegedly shot and killed a protester amid a scuffle to arrest him. The Trump administration has sent a reported 3,000 federal agents into the area, with more on the way, as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants in the region. (Brandon Bell / Getty Images)
7/7
A federal agent points a weapon at a protester after agents allegedly shot a protester amid a scuffle to arrest him on Saturday in Minneapolis. (Brandon Bell/Getty Images)
“What is happening in the Twin Cities and the Great North Star State is heartbreaking to witness,” Towns wrote. “These events have cost lives and shaken families — and we must call for accountability, transparency, and protections for all people. This moment demands that we reflect honestly on what our values truly are. My thoughts, prayers, and deepest condolences are with the families of Renée Good and Alex Pretti. I stand with the people of Minnesota.”
NBA legend Charles Barkley offered his take Saturday on ESPN.
“It’s scary. It’s sad,” Barkley said. “It’s gonna end bad — it’s already ended badly twice. Somebody’s got to step up and be adults because, man, two people have died for no reason and it’s just sad.”
On Sunday, WNBA superstar Breanna Stewart held a sign that read “Abolish ICE” during player introductions at an Unrivaled league game in Florida.
“We’re so fueled by hate right now instead of love, so I wanted to kind of have a simple message of abolish ICE, which means having policies to uplift families and communities instead of fueling fear and violence,” Stewart said after the game.
“I think that when human lives are at stake, it’s bigger than anything else. So to have that simple message before the game was important to me. And knowing that everyone here is feeling that way, one way or another, it was just a perfect time.”
The CEOs of several Minnesota professional sports teams — including the Timberwolves, the WNBA’s Lynx, the NFL’s Vikings, the NHL’s Wild and the MLS’s United — were among the leaders of numerous local companies who signed a statement released Sunday by the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce.
“With yesterday’s tragic news, we are calling for an immediate deescalation of tensions and for state, local and federal officials to work together to find real solutions,” the statement read.
Some players from those teams have offered their own opinions. Vikings cornerback Dwight McGlothern wrote Saturday on X: “It’s not right what’s happening in Minnesota.”
Lynx guard Natisha Hiedeman wrote on her Instagram Story: “I’m heartbroken to see ICE has flipped the city upside down and resorted to violence. There is no place for this. As hard as it may be I HOPE we continue to stand together and fight for what is right.”
Teammate Napheesa Collier reposted a statement from Barack Obama, who called Pretti’s killing a “heartbreaking tragedy” that “should also be a wake-up call to every American, regardless of party, that many of our core values as a nation are increasingly under assault.”