julian

World Cup 2026: Germany seek talks with Jurgen Klopp as Julian Nagelsmann resigns

The German football association is seeking talks with Jurgen Klopp about becoming their men’s national team coach after Julian Nagelsmann resigned.

Nagelsmann requested to be relieved of his duties on Thursday following the team’s early exit from the World Cup.

The German FA (DFB) has now granted that request and immediately terminated their contractual relationship with the 38-year-old former Bayern Munich boss.

In a statement, DFB said it “will now seek talks with Jurgen Klopp”, adding: “He has already signaled his general willingness to take on the position.”

Germany bowed out of the World Cup on Monday after the four-time winners were beaten by Paraguay on penalties in the last 32.

Initially Nagelsmann, who was appointed in 2023, was determined to remain in charge, saying after the game: “I’m not someone who runs away.”

But in a statement on Friday, he said: “I’ve done a lot of thinking in the days since our elimination and have consulted with trusted individuals both personally and within the federation.

“The decision was anything but easy for me. My top priority has always been the team ‘s success. After such a bitter disappointment, they deserve the chance for a fresh start.”

More to follow.

Source link

Julian Alvarez: Atletico Madrid striker wants to leave club to ‘fulfil my dream’

Argentina striker Julian Alvarez says he wants to leave Atletico Madrid to “fulfil his dream”.

The 26-year-old has reportedly drawn interest from Barcelona and Paris St-Germain, while Atletico rejected a 150m euro (£130m) offer for Alvarez from rivals Real Madrid earlier in June.

Alvarez is currently at the World Cup with Argentina and has come off the bench in their first two games after recovering from an ankle injury.

“I spoke with the people at [Atletico] I needed to speak with, and the best thing for everyone is a transfer. I want to fulfil my dream,” Alvarez said after Argentina’s World Cup win over Austria.

“It’s ‌not the time ‌to talk about this, but I also can’t ‌hide it. I try to be an honest person.”

Alvarez joined Atletico from Manchester City for £81.5m in the summer of 2024 and has scored 49 goals in 106 games, as well as providing 17 assists, for Diego Simeone’s side.

Having scored 17 goals in his first season in La Liga, the former River Plate forward managed only eight in 2025-26.

However, he excelled in the Champions League, scoring 10 goals to help Atletico reach the semi-finals, where they were beaten by Arsenal.

Source link

Real Madrid bid £130m for Julian Alvarez – but Atletico Madrid reject offer

Real Madrid have had a 150m euro (£130m) offer for striker Julian Alvarez rejected by city rivals Atletico Madrid.

Real president Florentino Perez last week pledged to make a 150m euro offer for an unnamed “galactico” player if re-elected to his position.

Having successfully retained control on Sunday, Perez made good on his promise.

However, the move for the 26-year-old Argentina international was turned down by his club, who cited Alvarez’s release clause of 500m euros (£430m).

In a statement, Real said: “Following the meeting of the board of directors held today, it has made an offer of 150 million euros to Club Atletico de Madrid for the federative rights of the player Julian Alvarez.

“After reviewing and evaluating the offer, Club Atletico de Madrid has expressed its gratitude for the proposal, made within the framework of the good relations between both clubs, and has rejected it, referring to the player’s release clause.”

Atletico did not immediately comment.

Former Manchester City player Alvarez, who won the 2022 World Cup with Argentina, joined the La Liga club in an £81.5m deal in 2024.

He scored 20 goals in 49 appearances for Atletico last season as they finished fourth in the table and reached the Champions League semi-finals.

Source link

Prep talk: Julian Garcia’s championship pitching performance ranks among best

As someone who has been covering high school baseball championship games in Southern California for six decades, the pitching performance seen on Friday night by Julian Garcia of St. John Bosco moves into the top five, if not a share for No. 1.

Garcia struck out 14, walked none and surrendered only a first-inning double to Codey Brown in a 2-0 victory over Norco in the Southern Section Division 1 final at Cal State Fullerton. His fastball was reaching 95 mph. He was blowing fastballs past top hitters all night.

Probably the No. 1 pitching performance continues to be Bret Saberhagen of Cleveland in the 1981 City Section championship game at Dodger Stadium when he threw a no-hitter against Palisades.

Others that come to mind:

No pitcher has been as overpowering as Garcia was under the lights. And he needed to be near perfect to beat Norco pitcher Jordan Ayala, who also was outstanding.

What a memory to add to Southern California’s great pitching moments in championship games.

This is a daily look at the positive happenings in high school sports. To submit any news, please email eric.sondheimer@latimes.com.

Source link