Gwangju

South Korean woman referred to prosecutors over Gwangju post

The Seodaemun Police Station in Seoul. Photo by Asia Today

July 30 (Asia Today) — South Korean police have referred a woman in her 20s to prosecutors on allegations that she spread false information about the May 18 Gwangju Democratization Movement on Instagram.

The Seodaemun Police Station in Seoul said Thursday that the woman, whose identity was withheld, was recently referred without detention on suspicion of violating a special law concerning the 1980 democracy movement.

The woman allegedly posted a comment May 15 describing the movement as an armed insurrection carried out by anti-state forces.

She posted the comment under an Instagram message promoting benefits offered in Gwangju and other areas to commemorate the anniversary of the movement.

She then captured an image of her comment and shared it through the Instagram Stories feature on her account, police said.

The May 18 Gwangju Democratization Movement began in May 1980, when citizens protested martial law and military rule. Government troops violently suppressed the demonstrations.

South Korean law prohibits knowingly spreading false information about the movement through newspapers, broadcasts, the Internet or other publicly accessible channels.

A conviction can carry a prison sentence of up to five years or a fine of up to 50 million won, or about $34,200.

Police began investigating after receiving a complaint through the government’s online civil petition service May 21.

“Historical distortion concerning May 18 not only insults victims and their families and damages their reputations but can also create social confusion by spreading a false understanding of history,” a police official said.

Police said they would strictly investigate the deliberate creation and distribution of clearly false information that exceeds the legally protected boundaries of free expression.

— Reported by Asia Today; translated by UPI

© Asia Today. Unauthorized reproduction or redistribution prohibited.

Original Korean report: https://www.asiatoday.co.kr/kn/view.php?key=20260730010011422

Source link

Military airport in Gwangju selected as site for S. Korea semiconductor production cluster

This photo, taken Monday, shows a training aircraft flying near a military airport in Gwangju. The South Korean government announced the airport as the future site for a semiconductor production cluster. Photo by Yonhap

A military airport in the southwestern city of Gwangju was selected Monday as the site for a government-led project to create a semiconductor production cluster, a presidential official said.

The selection was made in a meeting earlier in the day between government officials and top executives of leading chipmakers — Samsung Electronics Co. and SK hynix Inc. — to discuss follow-up measures for the investment project, presidential chief of staff Kang Hoon-sik said at a press briefing.

The president will hold monthly meetings to personally check the progress in the massive investment project, he added.

The envisioned chip production cluster is part of the government’s “three megaprojects” initiative, centered on large-scale investments in semiconductors, physical artificial intelligence (AI) and AI data centers in regional areas.

Under the chip cluster project, the two leading chipmakers have pledged to invest a combined 800 trillion won (US$522 billion), marking the single-largest investment plan to date in the southwestern Gwangju and Honam area.

“Through consultations with related ministries, the government will promptly finalize the (administrative) process of designating the candidate site,” Kang said.

The presidential official noted that companies proposed the military site for the production complex, describing it as an 8.3 million-square-meter track of already leveled land that would save time for preparation.

Its proximity to the city’s downtown and railway station would also facilitate easy access for workers and the transportation of goods, the official said.

Kang noted that the president has decided to hold monthly meetings to review the progress of the projects and establish a dedicated body within Cheong Wa Dae to oversee them.

Copyright (c) Yonhap News Agency prohibits its content from being redistributed or reprinted without consent, and forbids the content from being learned and used by artificial intelligence systems.

Source link