death

Partial federal shutdown seems increasingly likely as Democrats demand major changes to ICE

Democratic senators are narrowing a list of demands for changes to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement with a partial government shutdown looming by week’s end, hoping to pressure Republicans and the White House as the country reels from the deaths of two people at the hands of federal agents in Minneapolis.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) has not yet outlined what his caucus will ask for before a crucial Thursday vote on whether to move forward with spending legislation that funds the Department of Homeland Security and a swath of other government agencies. Democrats were to meet Wednesday and discuss several possible demands, including forcing agents to have warrants and identify themselves before immigration arrests, and they have pledged to block the spending bill in response to the violence.

“This madness, this terror must stop,” Schumer said, calling for immediate changes to ICE and U.S. Border Patrol.

Senate Majority Leader John Thune (R-S.D.) has said he is waiting for Democrats to outline what they want and he suggested that they need to be talking to the White House.

It was unclear how seriously the White House was engaged and whether the two sides could agree on anything that would appease Democrats who are irate after federal agents fatally shot U.S. citizens Renee Good and Alex Pretti this month.

With no evident negotiations underway, a partial shutdown appeared increasingly likely starting Saturday.

Democrats weigh their demands

As the Republican administration pursues its aggressive immigration enforcement surge nationwide, Democrats have discussed several potential demands in the Homeland Security bill.

Those includes requiring judicial warrants for immigration arrests, mandating that federal agents have to identify themselves, ending arrest quotas, sending agents back to the border and forcing DHS to cooperate with state and local authorities in investigations into any incidents such as the two shooting deaths in Minnesota.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) said Democrats are looking at changes that will “unite the caucus, and I think unite the country,” including ending the “roving patrols” that Democrats say are terrorizing Americans around the country.

“None of this is revolutionary,” said Murphy, the top Democrat on the subcommittee that oversees Homeland Security spending. “None of this requires a new comprehensive piece of legislation.”

Schumer and Murphy have said any fixes should be passed by Congress, not just promised by the administration.

“The public can’t trust the administration to do the right thing on its own,” Schumer said.

Republicans say any changes to the spending would need to be passed by the House to prevent a shutdown, and that is not likely to happen in time because the House is not in legislative session this week.

“We can have conversations about what additional oversight is required, what additional laws we should consider, but not at the expense of shutting down the government,” said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas).

Many obstacles to a deal

Despite some conversations among Democrats, Republicans and the White House, it was unclear whether there could be a resolution in time to avoid a partial shutdown.

The House passed the six remaining funding bills last week and sent them to the Senate as a package, and that makes it difficult to strip out the Homeland Security portion as Democrats are demanding. Republicans could break the package apart with the consent of all 100 senators, which would be complicated, or through a series of votes that would extend past the Friday deadline.

It was unclear whether President Trump would weigh in.

Republican leaders had hoped to avoid another shutdown after last fall’s 43-day closure that revolved around Democrats’ insistence on extending federal subsidies that make health coverage more affordable for those enrolled in the Affordable Care Act marketplace.

Even if the Senate could resolve the issue, House Republicans have made clear they do not want any changes to the bill they have passed. In a letter to Trump on Tuesday, the conservative House Freedom Caucus wrote that its members stand with the president and ICE.

“The package will not come back through the House without funding for the Department of Homeland Security,” according to the letter.

Democrats say they won’t back down.

“It is truly a moral moment,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.). “I think we need to take a stand.”

Jalonick and Freking write for the Associated Press.

Source link

Six Nations: Sam Wainwright’s emotional Wales return after death of father

Wainwright’s family were in the stands when he won his first cap in Wales’ historic 13-12 win against South Africa in Bloemfontein – the only time the men’s national team has won a game against the Springboks on their soil.

The prop from Prestatyn, then with Saracens after earning a move from Rygbi Gogledd Cymru (RGC), helped win a scrum penalty that set up field position for Josh Adams’ late try that was converted by Gareth Anscombe.

Wainwright was able to celebrate with his father, who was instrumental on his rise to Test level.

“He was a huge influence,” said the prop. “We were best friends and he did everything with me.

“He was one of the biggest support networks for me and when I got the call-up I thought about him a lot, it was quite emotional.

“We’d speak about everything and he’d watch every game. When I was at the Scarlets he would tell me what to pick up on after every game.

“He was unbelievable for me and that’s why getting this call up was a bit emotional for me. He would have been proud of me – 1,000%.”

A former rugby league player and a construction worker, Shaun ensured that Sam was able to give RGC his full attention.

“I told him I wanted to follow his route and have the rugby alongside it, but he would never let me do it,” said Wainwright, whose exploits earned a chance with Saracens in 2019.

“He said ‘I do this, not you – you just focus on the rugby’. I was part-time at RGC and got a wage, but my dad just told me to eat and sleep rugby.”

Source link

Adam the Woo cause of death: YouTuber died of natural causes

The family of David Adam Williams, better known as YouTube personality Adam the Woo, has shared his cause of death. The travel vlogger’s father revealed in a Monday Facebook post that his son died of natural causes.

“Our beloved Son … your beloved friend … died, in essence, of a heart attack in his sleep from health issues he probably never knew he had,” wrote Jim Williams, who said he had received his son’s medical examiner’s report earlier that day. “Now, we can all stop guessing. Be grateful the Lord allowed him to die at home and not in a foreign country. Be grateful he was found by friends (as hard as that was) and not some nameless stranger.”

Jim Williams shared that Adam Williams’ official cause of death was atherosclerotic and hypertensive cardiovascular disease, with obesity as a contributory factor. According to the American Heart Assn., atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease is caused by plaque buildup on arterial walls. Hypertensive heart disease is related to high blood pressure.

Williams, known for his theme park and urban exploration videos, was found dead in his Celebration, Fla., home on Dec. 22. He was 51.

A self-described “‘80s pop culture nerd with a desire to travel and video what I see,” he had posted more than 4,000 videos about his adventures at Disney and Universal Studios theme parks, pop culture conventions, movie filming locations, abandoned cities and more since 2009 across two YouTube channels. Combined, his channels had more than 1 million subscribers.

“If you never met Adam, I want you to know, that how you saw him on video, that was our son,” Jim Williams said in a Jan. 11 YouTube video about his son. “That was how Adam lived his life. He was always courteous, he was always kind, he was always patient with people. He was always gentle, even when he had to correct people. … He would stop and talk to everybody.”

Williams, who had addressed his Facebook message to Adam’s friends and fans, concluded his post with gratitude: “Thank you for loving Adam.”

Source link

Only some passengers returned on the UK’s creepy ‘death railway’

Only a few parts of this long-forgotten railway line remain standing, but it once carried up to 2,000 people a year on their final journeys along with their mourning loved ones clad in black

The Victorians have a reputation for dealing with death in strange ways, from photographing the dead to their obsession with Memento Mori objects, reminding them of the inevitability of death. But one almost forgotten part of Victorian history is particularly creepy and involves a long-abandoned railway line.

Early into Queen Victoria’s reign, the city faced a horrific problem. It had doubled in size thanks to the Industrial Revolution, bringing the population up to 2.5 million, many of whom lived in crowded, unsanitary conditions, causing outbreaks of conditions such as Cholera. London was the largest city in the world, but it also had insufficient sewage facilities and poor water quality, leading to disease and death. A Londoner born in the 1840s had an average life expectancy of just 36.7 years.

London’s churches soon found their graveyards were full to capacity, leading to the horrific practice of exhuming the recently deceased to make way for newer burials. As a solution, a huge new cemetery was planned in Brookwood, Surrey, but the plodding horse and carriages of the time would have taken hours to transport a body to this location. Therefore, the idea for the London Necropolis railway was formed.

The London Necropolis railway station was built next to Waterloo, and had a beautiful, ornate exterior typical of Victorian architecture. Here, the bodies of people of all ages and social classes were readied for their final 23-mile journey to the new Brookwood Cemetery in leafy Surrey, a world away from the grubby streets of London.

Coffins were issued a one-way ticket, while the mourners accompanying them would get a return ticket to take them back into the city after the service. Once the trains arrived in Brookwood, they made two stops in the Anglican and Nonconformist parts of the cemetery, depending on the religion of the deceased.

While all sorts of people were laid to rest in Brookwood, the rich, of course, enjoyed a better class of funeral than the Victorian poor. A first-class funeral came with a choice of burial plots and the ability to erect a permanent memorial. Those who chose a second-class funeral could put up a gravestone or other memorial for an additional cost, but if they failed to do so, the grave could end up being reused.

In third class were people who had a pauper’s funeral, paid for by their local parish. While these people weren’t given their own gravestone, they did get separate graves, which were much more dignified than the horrific burial practices going on at London’s graveyards at the time. The London Necropolis Company (LNC) carried out the burials, and about 80% of the funerals it held were third class, for those whose families couldn’t afford a service.

First and second class passengers had a separate waiting area, and their loved ones’ names were announced as their coffins were carried onto the train, a ceremonial touch not afforded to those headed to unmarked graves.

As London grew, and with the building of the London Underground, proper sewage systems, and overground railways, many churchyards stood in the way. The Necropolis Railway took on a huge new project, relocating the bodies from 21 churchyards across the city to the Surrey cemetery

Trains ran daily, and Sundays were a particularly busy day for funerals. It was the only day of the week when many workers had off, and by scheduling their loved ones’ funerals, they could avoid taking an extra day off.

The London Necropolis Railway ran until 1941, when a World War Two bomb destroyed the London station and track. By that point, funeral directors were increasingly using motorised hearses, and in the post-WW2 reconstruction of the city, the destroyed funeral train service wasn’t seen as a priority.

READ MORE: Weather turns on Champagne-sipping passengers as Antarctic cruise ship gets stuckREAD MORE: Cruise packing mistake as passengers warned 1 common item in luggage will be confiscated

Visit Westminster Bridge House and you can still see some of the façade of the old station building, although the old sign is boarded up. However, in Brookwood Cemetery, the remains of this unusual chapter of history are still on display. You can still see parts of the track, and plaques commemorate the 200,000 people who reached their final resting place on this unique train line.

Have a story you want to share? Email us at webtravel@reachplc.com

Source link