Carol

Carol Vorderman’s brutal three-word takedown of Farage’s Reform candidate for Makerfield

Reform has stood by Robert Kenyon, a plumber and the candidate for the party in the upcoming Makerfield by-election, after comments he made about TV star Carol Vorderman resurfaced

Carol Vorderman has lashed out at a creepy sexual message by a Reform by-election candidate with a brutal three-word takedown.

Reform UK candidate Robert Kenyon, who is standing to be the next MP for Makerfield in the upcoming by-election, backed up a degrading comment about the TV star along with other comments directed at women. Hitting back, Carol branded Nigel Farage’s candidate a “disgusting online abuser”.

The campaign group HopeNotHate found Kenyon had two X accounts. One has been deleted and the other was suspended by X, HopeNotHate said.

Reform has stood by Kenyon, a plumber, and has said his lack of “polish” could make him an effective MP.

“Fundamentally, Rob Kenyon is a misogynist,” Carol told The Mirror. “I wouldn’t let him in my house if he was a local plumber in my area, not with what he’s been posting online. There is always a pattern.”

In 2021, an X user who wrote a degrading sexual message about Carol, which drew criticism from another person. To this, Kenyon responded by saying “he’s only saying what we’re all thinking”.

And another of the posts from the accounts referenced being blocked by the Sky Sports Rugby League account on X for comments about women’s rugby.

Carol added: “He’s been talking about how female rugby players ‘handle their knockers’, saying if it’s not ‘t**s, and a**e’, and he’d been blocked by the Sky Sports Rugby League Twitter page for his online behaviour.

“It’s a torrent of abusive and vile language. Nobody knows why his X account was suspended. X has a very low bar for suspension, and the public should know and Reform should tell us why his account was suspended. What were his actions for this to have happened?

“Last year the Victim’s Commissioner said ‘misogyny normalises violence against women and girls, normalises illegal harms such as harassment, abuse and stalking. And these harms manifest in both online and offline spaces’.”

Carol emphasised the comments are not just Kenyon “being a lad”, adding he is “being a disgusting online abuser who became a Reform councillor three weeks ago”.

In response to HopeNotHate’s investigation, a Reform UK spokesman said: “We fully back Cllr Kenyon. He is an excellent, local candidate who we are confident will be a superb MP for Makerfield.

“These comments were made before he was in politics. Rob isn’t a polished, professional politician and doesn’t speak like one. That’s precisely why he’ll be a straight-talking, effective voice for normal working people in Makerfield.”

After being read Reform’s response, Carol said: “So basically, it doesn’t matter how misogynistic or otherwise he has been as far as Reform are concerned. And they didn’t care that their MP James McMurdock had been put in jail for kicking his girlfriend outside a nightclub and that it hadn’t been declared. They simply don’t care at all.”

A Labour Party spokesman said: “Robert Kenyon’s comments online are disgusting and show that he’s not fit to represent Makerfield.

“From creepy remarks about women, to peddling baseless conspiracy theories, this is appalling stuff from a parliamentary candidate – on top of being Facebook friends with a fascist campaigner. Nigel Farage needs to explain why Reform UK selected him in the first place.”

The first weekend of campaigning in Makerfield, meanwhile, got underway.

Andy Burnham, who is viewed as a challenger to Sir Keir Starmer in a potential Labour leadership race, launched his by-election campaign on Friday and promised he was not offering “more of the same”.

Allies of Mr Burnham have suggested he may not launch a bid for the party leadership immediately if he is successful in his attempt to return to Parliament in the June 18 contest.

But Wes Streeting, who resigned from the Cabinet earlier this month, has openly talked about launching a campaign to oust Prime Minister Sir Keir.

The MP and former health secretary told reporters on Friday that he held off triggering a leadership race to give Mr Burnham time to tread a path back into the Commons.

In a pitch to voters, Greater Manchester Mayor Mr Burnham said: “I know my own party needs to change. We need to be better than we have been.

“A vote for me in this by-election is a vote to change Labour.”

Mr Burnham, who is also a former health secretary, later told reporters Labour has “space to be more radical” while honouring the party’s 2024 general election manifesto.

Source link

Carol Kirkwood leaves BBC co-star stunned with career away from TV after show exit

Carol Kirkwood’s career away from the cameras took her BBC co-star by surprise, following her recent exit from the corporation after 28 years

Carol Kirkwood has left her BBC co-star stunned by her career away from television. The former BBC Breakfast weather presenter bid farewell to the programme in April after 28 years at the corporation.

In a lengthy on-air statement at the time, the 63-year-old said: “Thank you for trusting me, be it telling you about heatwaves or snow, to the everyday question of, ‘Do I need to take a brolly?’. To my colleagues past and present, both in front and behind the camera, I owe you all so much. You’ve been my team, my safety net, and, very often, my family.

“We’ve shared breaking news, long shifts, plenty of laughter, bad hair days, and the occasional moment of pure chaos. And do you know what? I wouldn’t change a second of it.”

While she is best known for presenting the weather, Carol has also turned her hand to writing in recent years – much to the surprise of Carol Klein.

The Gardeners’ World host appeared taken aback when learning about Carol’s other career during an appearance on the Pottering with Tom Allen podcast.

After discussing the changing weather during the recording, she said: “That Carol Kirkwood, she’s lovely isn’t she, she’s a keen gardener.”

“She’s a great writer as well,” Tom chimed in, to which she appeared stun and questioned: “Is she?”. Tom went on to say: “She’s got a lot of novels out.”

“I haven’t read anything, I’ll have to,” the BBC star replied. Praising the books, Tom insisted they are a good read and “always set in lovely places”.

Recently speaking about her future after leaving the show, the weather presenter said she is looking forward to more freedom with her husband Steve Randall, who she married in 2023.

“The freedom of being able to get in the car, drive and go anywhere we want for as long as we want is really appealing,” she told the BBC.

She also revealed there was a more personal reason behind her decision. “I’m not getting any younger, I’m newly married and we’ve had some losses in our lives recently,” Carol added.

She went on to say those experiences had helped her realise that she needed to “get on with my retirement and that’s what I’m going to do”.

However, retirement doesn’t mean she’s stopped working altogether. Her sixth romance novel is set to be published in October, and she has reportedly already committed to writing at least two more books afterwards.

The television star has also said she would love to learn the guitar and adopt a couple of cats.

BBC Breakfast airs daily from around 6am on BBC One and the BBC News channel.

Source link