Capture

Lockheed Confirms RQ-170 Sentinel Spy Drones Took Part In Maduro Capture Mission

Lockheed Martin has offered a very rare confirmation of the RQ-170 Sentinel stealth drone‘s operational exploits, in this case, in support of the recent mission to capture Venezuelan dictator Nicolas Maduro.

“This is what you can expect from Lockheed Martin: continued significant investment to advance technology development and produce proven major weapon systems at ever greater scale. We build on this momentum with a powerful start to 2026,” CEO Jim Taiclet said during a quarterly earnings call this morning. “Lockheed Martin products, once again, proved critical to the U.S. military’s most demanding missions. The recent Operation Absolute Resolve [in Venezuela] included F-35 and F-22 fighter jets, RQ-170 Sentinel stealth drones, and Sikorsky Black Hawk helicopters, which helped ensure mission success while bringing the men and women of our armed forces home safely.”

After the conclusion of Operation Absolute Resolve on January 3, video footage had emerged showing at least one, and possibly two, RQ-170s arriving at the former Naval Station Roosevelt Roads in Puerto Rico. This was a major hub for aircraft employed in the operation and had already offered very strong evidence of the Sentinel’s involvement.

The U.S. military subsequently confirmed that F-35s, F-22s, and Black Hawks – the latter belonging to the U.S. Army’s elite 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, the Night Stalkers – among many other types of aircraft had taken part in the operation. While mention was also made of the use of drones, the RQ-170 was not explicitly named.

F-22s and F-35s, among other aircraft, seen in Puerto Rico after the conclusion of Operation Absolute Resolve. USAF

A now-deleted post in December 2025 from Air Forces Southern (AFSOUTH) on X, which included a picture of an individual wearing a name patch with an RQ-170 silhouette and the sleeve insignia of the 432nd Wing, had prompted earlier questions about whether the drones were operating in the region. The only units known to fly Sentinel are the 30th and 44th Reconnaissance Squadrons, both of which are assigned to the 432nd Wing at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada. A total of between 20 and 30 RQ-170s are said to be in the Air Force’s inventory.

The exact role the RQ-170 played in Operation Absolute Resolve remains unclear, and Lockheed Martin CEO Jim Taiclet offered no further details. TWZ has previously detailed how the mission and the lead-up to it are exactly what the Sentinel was designed for. As we wrote:

“RQ-170s would have provided a valuable way to discreetly track Maduro’s movements and otherwise establish his ‘patterns of life,’ as well as those of the forces guarding him, for an extended period of time in the lead-up to the actual launch of the operation to capture him. During the mission itself, having one of the drones orbiting overhead would have provided an indispensable source of real-time information, including to help spot threats that might unexpectedly appear. Those same feeds would also have given senior leaders, including President Donald Trump, a way to watch the operation as it happened.”

With all this in mind, RQ-170s could also have surveilled Venezuelan military bases and other sites that U.S. forces struck as part of the operation overnight, and helped with post-strike assessments. The Air Force has disclosed having at least conducted tests in the past of the Sentinel in the bomb damage assessment role in combination with B-2 bombers.”

Since then, it has also emerged that the U.S. military planning for the mission included preparations to destroy three airfields in the country if it appeared that fighters belonging to the Venezuelan Air Force were attempting to scramble and intercept the raiding force. That threat did not materialize, and none of those facilities were ultimately struck, but it would have been necessary to closely monitor them to be sure.

Substations were also targeted to cut power to the Fuerte Tiuna (Fort Tiuna), a sprawling military base in Venezuela’s capital, Caracas, housing Maduro’s fortress-like compound.

A satellite image showing Fort Tiuna (Fuerte Tiuna) and the surrounding area following Operation Absolute Resolve on January 3, 2026. Satellite image ©2026 Vantor

Multiple Venezuelan air defense assets were also struck at various locations in the country during the operation. TWZ has also highlighted previously how suppression and destruction of enemy air defenses (SEAD/DEAD) would have been a key mission for the F-22s and F-35s in the force package. U.S. Navy EA-18G Growlers, and likely at least one U.S. Air Force EC-130H Compass Call aircraft, also contributed electronic warfare support to this mission and other aspects of the operation.

The RQ-170’s participation in Operation Absolute Resolve adds to the still relatively limited publicly available information (and even less that is officially confirmed) about the use of these drones over the years. The U.S. Air Force only officially acknowledged the Sentinel’s existence in 2009, two years after it was first spotted in Afghanistan and had been dubbed the “Beast of Kandahar.”

RQ-170s were used to monitor aspects of Iran’s nuclear program, something that was thrust into the public eye after one of the drones went down in that country in 2011, a major intelligence loss. RQ-170s likely also played a role in relation to the Operation Midnight Hammer strikes on Iranian nuclear sites last year, where they could have provided direct overhead coverage and intelligence for post-mission bomb damage assessments.

Sentinels are understood to have surveilled Al Qaeda founder Osama Bin Laden’s compound in Pakistan in the lead-up to the raid that led to his death, which also occurred in 2011. This, as well as operations over Iran, are prime examples of the Sentinel’s ability to persistently surveil key sites even in denied areas. The preparations for and execution of Operation Absolute Resolve also followed a playbook with direct parallels, as well as notable differences, to the Bin Laden mission.

The stealthy RQ-170s have also deployed to South Korea in the past, from where they likely conducted flights at least very near to North Korean airspace. The drones have also been at least deployed elsewhere in the Pacific, as well.

Between 2022 and 2023, Sentinels may have flown missions in the Black Sea region, gathering intelligence on Russian forces on the heavily-defended occupied Crimean Peninsula. A satellite image available through Apple Maps showing an RQ-170 at Naval Air Station Sigonella in Italy has lent some further credence to those reports. Sigonella has been and continues to be a hub for intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance flights over the Black Sea. It is unclear when the image was taken, but it looks to be from a relevant timeframe based on the visible state of construction elsewhere at the base.

A satellite image showing an RQ-170 at Naval Air Station Sigonella in Italy. Apple Maps
Construction seen at Naval Air Station Sigonella in the same Apple Maps image that shows the RQ-170s. A review of other imagery shows a similar degree of construction throughout much of 2023. The physical break seen here between the taxiway extension work and the existing taxiways to the north was still present until at least April 2024. Apple Maps

Though much still remains to be learned, the remarks today from Lockheed Martin CEO Taiclet have added a small, but notable addition to the story of the RQ-170.

Contact the author: joe@twz.com

Joseph has been a member of The War Zone team since early 2017. Prior to that, he was an Associate Editor at War Is Boring, and his byline has appeared in other publications, including Small Arms Review, Small Arms Defense Journal, Reuters, We Are the Mighty, and Task & Purpose.


Source link

The Gruesome Lesson that Maduro’s Capture Teaches the World

Faced by an increasingly authoritarian regime, Venezuela’s opposition requested support from international organizations over the years, denouncing human rights violations and showing evidence of the 2024 electoral fraud orchestrated by Nicolás Maduro and the chavista overlords. The international community’s answer only gave the government breathing space. The lack of decisive responses from global institutions, such as the Organization of American States, the United Nations, and the European Union contributed to a state of irresolution and prolonged political violence in Venezuela, while political imprisonment and disappearances became commonplace. 

Political change in Venezuela has ultimately come to depend on Trump’s geopolitical ambitions. Rather than returning to the now-exhausted democratic avenues offered by multilateral institutions, opposition leader María Corina Machado has made efforts to align her political agenda with Trump’s commercial interests and military might. Her dedication of the Nobel Peace Prize to him only highlights this strategic alignment, along with Machado’s willingness to publicly support US military deployment if this helps her cause against the dictatorship. 

Acting President Delcy Rodríguez has also aligned her political agenda with Trump’s. She has not only agreed to satisfy all of Trump’s oil-related demandseven before Maduro’s capture—but everything indicates that she might have been the one who facilitated her boss’ extraction in exchange for power. 

However, both Machado and Rodríguez have paid a high price for dancing at the tune of Trump’s desires. Machado has been criticized around the world for giving her Nobel Prize medal to Trump and mocked as a weak political actor. On the other hand, Rodríguez seems to be walking on an increasingly tight rope, as seemingly demonstrated by the powerful interior minister Diosdado Cabello’s threatening appearance next to her on national television wearing a hat that read ‘dudar es traición’ (to doubt is betrayal). 

‘We’ve tried everything,’ many of our interviewees conclude in frustration.

The pivotal role that Venezuelan politicians like Rodríguez, Machado and even chavista hardliners like Cabello played in US plans for Venezuela demonstrates the inadequacy of considering US actions as a unilateral imposition of Trump’s agenda. As sociologist Rafael Uzcátegui argues, Venezuela’s current politics cannot be understood in the Cold War dualistic light of imperialism vs. self-determination that likens politics to a game of chess. Instead, it is more like a game of poker, where the best hand may not always be the one to win. Machado and Rodríguez are playing their best hand, which involves aligning themselves with US commercial interests and military might to survive politically in a context of weakening international law.

What Venezuelans think

In the process of writing this article, we spoke to Venezuelans in the US and back home. Most expressed their frustration in the face of the international community’s inability to support democracy in their country. ‘We’ve tried everything,’ many of our interviewees conclude in frustration.

The Venezuelans we spoke with perceive Trump’s military pressure as the first tangible movement against the dictatorship, leaving many feeling that they have little choice but to endorse US actions to end Maduro’s rule. Fully aware of US interests in the nation’s oil, Venezuelans’ calculation is shaped by a longer history in which the country’s most valuable asset has rarely served the interests of its people. As Venezuelans see it, Trump’s thirst for oil at least helps their democratic cause. So, rather than imperialism, Trump’s commercial ambitions are seen by Venezuelans as an avenue for change. 

Pedro, a Venezuelan business owner in Doral, Florida, told us: ‘If the price for my country to be safe and have food is to give away our oil, so be it. Please, Mr Trump, come and take our oil.’ For Venezuelans like Pedro, who are aware of the regime’s political brutality, the image of a cuffed and blindfolded Maduro has a taste of justice. 

Even Amanda, a Venezuelan student in New York who once supported Chávez and disagrees with how Maduro was arrested, admits to feeling satisfaction at finally seeing justice served. Following the capture, many Venezuelans across the world took to the streets to show their cautious hope for political change.

While the future in Venezuela is still uncertain, the fact that change could only be attained by violence, further erodes a global culture of democracy and trust in international law.

In Venezuela, however, the reality is more complex. The regime continues to operate with its mechanisms for social repression. Fear of expressing any form of celebration inside the country is strong, as it might lead to charges of treason. ‘We are happy, of course,’ one of our interviewees in Caracas told us. ‘But I don’t even dare to hang a flag outside my window.’ 

Alignment for political survival

Tragically, US (not-so-chirurgical) military action has achieved more in a few weeks than what democratic international institutions achieved in Venezuela over the last decade. Catering to Trump’s pressure, Maduro slowly started releasing political prisoners in December. Since January 8, Delcy Rodríguez has ramped up the number of releases, currently amounting to over 260, something unthinkable before the US military build-up in the Caribbean. Whether or not these releases are a regime’s farce, as some relatives of prisoners warn, they still reveal the fact that Rodríguez is willing to dance to Trump’s tune.

While the future in Venezuela is still uncertain, the fact that change could only be attained by violence, further erodes a global culture of democracy and trust in international law. The lesson that Maduro’s capture might teach the international community is that, in Trump’s new world order, international law is insufficient to secure political survival, and that military force and commercial expansion always prevail.

Machado and Rodríguez seem to have learned this gruesome lesson, although they have yet to disclose their full hand in this ruthless game of poker.

Source link