Bake

Bake Off star ‘set to replace Claudia Winkleman as Strictly Come Dancing host’

Fans of Strictly Come Dancing and classic episodes of the Great British Bake Off may have reason to celebrate as a former star of the cooking sow is tipped to take over as a host on the BBC show

A new name has risen like a proverbial soufflé in the ongoing search for a replacement host of Strictly Come Dancing. Last year, fans of the BBC show were shocked when long-time hosts Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman abruptly quit the show after years of service.

And now a former Bake Off star has been thrown into the mix of names tipped to replace the stars. Comedian Mel Giedroyc, who co-hosted the Channel 4 show back when it aired on the BBC from 2010 until 2016, is being touted as a new star of the dance show.

The 57-year-old TV star was herself a contestant on the 2021 Christmas Special of Strictly, where she was paired with professional dancer Neil Jones. And now it is being suggested she could take over from Claudia, 54, when Strictly returns to screens later this year.

READ MORE: Man who struggled to lose weight sheds 7 stone and gets abs after spotting Instagram ad READ MORE: Strictly Come Dancing’s Johannes Radebe finally addresses ‘quitting’ speculation

A source told The Sun: “The Clauditorium is the section where the dancers go to receive their scores from the judges and decompress after their routines. So it needs to be hosted by someone with a gentle touch, who can use humour to relieve the tension.

“Mel is seen as a great swap for Claudia as they’re both smart, funny, and have a reputation within the TV world for being easy to work with. They’re both highly professional, well-liked by the public, and boast just the right balance of confidence and self-deprecation.” The Mirror has contacted representatives of Mel and the BBC for comment.

While Mel is a new name to emerge in the race to become a new Strictly host, many fans are expecting Zoe Ball to take over hosting from the ballroom floor. The 55-year-old presenter was a contestant on Strictly in 2005 and hosted spin-off show It Takes Two from 2011 until 2020.

Late last year, her father, Johnny Ball, 87, shared insight on the likelihood his radio host daughter will take the reins. Opening up to the Express, Johnny said last December: “Nothing’s going to be decided until after Easter, but she’s in the mix, and people are coming to her, but it’s too early to say… I think she would love it, I think she would love the job because she took over from Claudia on It Takes Two, and if anything, she did a better job than Claudia.”

And just last month, Zoe herself teased that she may indeed be the new presenter. Opening up to The Sunday Times Style Magazine, she gushed: “Obviously there’s part of me that would love to do it. I love that show. I loved performing on it with Ian Waite, who is one of my best buddies. It’s so joyful.”

However, she did add: “It’s live telly, which is another thing that people don’t give the girls enough credit for. That show is a beast. Whoever gets to do it has a tough act to follow.”

Fans were blindsided when Tess and Claudia made the unusual decision to quit the series – announcing the news in the midst of the 2025 season. They issued a statement at the time, declaring that they simply felt that the time had come for them to waltz away from the scandal-hit show.

In a joint statement at the time, the pair wrote: “We have loved working as a duo and hosting Strictly has been an absolute dream. We were always going to leave together and now feels like the right time.

“We will have the greatest rest of this amazing series and we just want to say an enormous thank you to the BBC and to every single person who works on the show. They’re the most brilliant team and we’ll miss them every day. We will cry when we say the last “keep dancing” but we will continue to say it to each other. Just possibly in tracksuit bottoms at home while holding some pizza.”

While Claudia added in a follow up statement: “It’s very difficult to put into words exactly what Strictly has meant to me. It’s been the greatest relationship of my career. From working on It Takes Two in 2004 until now it has been my everything, the show I will be eternally grateful for.”

Like this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs on TikTok , Snapchat , Instagram , Twitter , Facebook , YouTube and Threads .



Source link

Nigella Lawson ‘frightened’ by Bake off and fearing Paul Hollywood clash

Nigella Lawson has admitted that she’s “frightened” but “excited” ahead of joining The Great British Bake Off as a new judge, but warned that she’s very different to Paul Hollywood

The Great British Bake Off‘s new judge Nigella Lawson has admitted that she’s “a teeny bit frightened” to take on the show – and will have a different approach to co-star Paul Hollywood. The 66-year-old was confirmed earlier this week as the new star who’ll be replacing Prue Leith.

Appearing on This Morning today, Nigella said that she plans to take the show “very seriously” – and warns that she’ll be applying a different judging “philosophy” to co-judge Paul. She told hosts Ben Shephard and Cat Deeley: “I’m a teeny bit frightened. I’d be lying if I didn’t say that. I am excited but I take it very seriously.

“The thing about Bake Off is it’s about the programme. – an institution of national treasure status and it’s about the bakers. I want to be there and be part of it,” she added. “One of the reasons it’s been enduringly popular is that feels like it’s about community and I guess we just all need that.”

As for how she’ll fare in the iconic Bake Off tent, Nigella admitted that she’s “the clumsiest person in the world“, which could lead to disaster. “As long as I don’t knock any of their cakes off the table or the stand,” she said.

“I feel like I’m not someone who looks for fault, I look for pleasure. My basic attitude in life. I feel Paul Hollywood is Mr. Technical, I’m all about the eating.”

Nigella added: “If I see my job as eating, it’s not too daunting. I can eat.”

Nigella will be the third judge to take on that Bake Off slot alongside Paul Hollywood, with Prue Leith and Dame Mary Berry coming before her.

Mary was one of the show’s original judges when it started on the BBC in 2010, however she left the show alongside hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins when it moved to Channel 4 in 2016. Prue took over the following year for Channel 4’s first series and has been with the show ever since.

Earlier this month, Prue announced that she was leaving Bake Off for good, saying in a statement: “Bake Off has been a fabulous part of my life for the last nine years, I have genuinely loved it and I’m sure I’ll miss working with my fellow judge Paul, Alison and Noel and the teams at Love Productions and Channel 4.

“But now feels like the right time to step back (I’m 86 for goodness sake!), there’s so much I’d like to do, not least spend summers enjoying my garden.”

“Whoever joins the team, I’m sure they’ll love it as much as I have. I feel very lucky to have been part of it.”

This Morning airs weekdays from 10am on ITV1 and ITVX. The Great British Bake Off returns to Channel 4 later this year.

Join The Mirror’s WhatsApp Community or follow us on Google News , Flipboard , Apple News, TikTok , Snapchat , Instagram , Twitter , Facebook , YouTube and Threads – or visit The Mirror homepage.



Source link