EasyJet announced this week that it will axe all its flights from Leeds Bradford Airport early next year – routes cut include Paris, Barcelona and Malaga
Ryanair is offering rescue fares to those affected by easyJet axing flights from a busy UK airport(Image: Getty)
Ryanair is offering bargain rescue flights after a rival axed flights at a busy UK airport.
EasyJet announced this week that it will axe all its flights from Leeds Bradford Airport early next year. The last easyJet flight from the hub will be on from January 5, 2027. Routes cut include Paris, Barcelona and Malaga.
Ryanair has launched “rescue fares” for £29.99 following easyJet’s flight cancellations at the airport.
From Friday, August 21, Ryanair flights between Leeds Bradford and Malaga in Spain, will be £29.99.
Ryanair currently operates 10 weekly flights between Leeds and the Spanish tourist spot.
Travellers can book the rescue fares until the end of February 2027.
“While easyJet abandons Leeds Bradford, cutting its full schedule from 5 Jan 2027, Ryanair is saving the day with rescue fares from just £29.99 for affected passengers – particularly those booked to fly easyJet from Leeds Bradford to Malaga, who can now switch to one of Ryanair’s 10 Malaga services per week,” Ryanair’s Director of Comms, Jade Kirwan, said.
When easyJet made the announcement, a spokesperson said: “Following a review of our routes from Leeds Bradford Airport, we have made the decision to no longer operate flights from the airport after 5 January.
“Our focus is on maintaining and developing routes which prove most popular with customers.
“We value the relationship we have built with Leeds Bradford Airport and we always keep options for our network under review, with the aim of providing more choice and connectivity where we see demand.”
The airline cited the “challenging operating environment triggered by the ongoing geopolitical tensions” as well as rising fuel costs and airspace constraints as a reason for its axing.
IndiGo said it will “work closely with affected customers to offer suitable alternatives” including other travel arrangements or refunds.
The suspension of these routes is set to be temporary.
The airline explained it does plan on reinstating travel to India once it receives new aircraft – it’s waiting for new A350-900s to be delivered.
IndiGo already announced plans to stop its other routes from Manchester Airport, which is scheduled for later this month.
The two cancelled routes are to Mumbai and Delhi, which started in July 2025 and will stop flying on August 31.
IndiGo has said the axing of routes from London Heathrow is temporaryCredit: Alamy
IndiGo isn’t the only one to provide these routes – but did offer them at a lower price.
One-way flights between Manchester and Mumbai started from £290.
Gladiators star Cyclone, whose real name is Lystus Ebosele, has featured on the BBC show since January 2025 but is now said to have been axed along with two others
11:29, 30 Jul 2026Updated 11:31, 30 Jul 2026
Cyclone has reportedly been axed from Gladiators after more than a year on the BBC hit (Image: CREDIT LINE:BBC/Hungry Bear/Shutterstock/Getty)
Another one bites the dust… Cyclone has become the third professional to be axed from BBC show Gladiators. The TV star, whose real name is Lystus Ebosele, joined Bradley and Barney Walsh’s BBC revival of the 1990s classic last year, and has so far filmed two series.
But just as production got underway at the Utilita Arena in Sheffield for the next series of the reboot, Lystus, 25, is said to have been cut from the line-up and is not impressed with bosses.
A source told The Sun: “Cyclone won’t be back and she’s not happy about it. She’s now cut all ties with the show – it’s a pity as fans absolutely loved her.” The powerlifting champion has also unfollowed the official Instagram account for the programme and deleted all pictures of herself on the show.
News of Lystus’ exit comes just days after it was reported that Matty Campbell, who stars as Bionic, and Karenjeet Kaur Bains, better know to fans as Athena, had also been axed from the show, having missed out on a considerable amount of the last series after both suffering injuries.
A source said: “They won’t film this year for the show but could be back for the tour, depending on how they recover from their injuries.”
Earlier this year, Giant, 40, whose real name is Jamie Bigg, departed Gladiators amid much controversy when he went public with then-girlfriend Taylor Ryan, 28, and it emerged that she worked as a model on OnlyFans.
Execs were quick to air their disapproval, and the athlete said that he was “shocked and disappointed” by the move, which he directly linked to his partner’s racy work. It was then reported that body builder and fitness instructor Ahmad Rabus, 37, would act as his replacement, and it became apparent that he would be one of several new faces on the show.
Team GB medallist Tabby Stoecker, along with fitness influencer Florence Wong and World’s Strongest Man champion Tom Stoltman are reportedly in the lineup, whilst The Sun also reported that former England rugby star Joe Marler would be making an appearance.
The new series will introduce a soon to be revealed event, as well as the other well known challenges such as Duel, Hang Tough and the Eliminator. Popular additions from the previous series — Everest, Destruction and Suspension Bridge — are also set to return after receiving a strong response from viewers.
Produced by Hungry Bear Media in partnership with MGM Alternative UK, part of Amazon MGM Studios, Gladiators remains one of the BBC’s flagship entertainment programmes.
The most recent series, which came to an end in March, attracted an average audience of 4.6 million viewers across BBC One and BBC iPlayer over a 28-day period, while continuing to perform particularly strongly among younger audiences.
Kalpna Patel-Knight, BBC’s Head of Entertainment, said: “Since Gladiators burst back onto screens in 2024, it’s been amazing to see families across the UK rally behind the contenders and champion our phenomenal Gladiators as the true stars of Saturday nights.
“With a brand‑new series confirmed and another celebrity special on the way, audiences can look forward to even more colossal clashes, even more edge of your seat excitement and plenty of opportunities to raise those foam fingers high once again.”
The Mirror has contacted representatives for comment.
LISA Faulkner and John Torode have been dealt another blow following her breast cancer diagnosis earlier this week.
The TV couple have reportedly learned that their cookery show, John & Lisa’s Weekend Kitchen, has been shelved after ten series.
Sign up for the Showbiz newsletter
Thank you!
Lisa and John’s Weekend Kitchen has reportedly been shelved after ten series on ITVCredit: PAThe couple have become familiar faces on ITV thanks to their long-running cookery seriesCredit: Shutterstock Editorial
Amid ongoing budget cuts at ITV, the show is notably absent from upcoming schedules.
According to The Mirror, the couple remain hopeful that the popular cookery programme could return to the channel at a later date.
An insider told the publication: “John remains a regular contributor to This Morning, where he has been fully supported by everyone, including hosts Ben Shephard and Cat Deeley.
“The truth is there are no current plans for series 11 of Weekend Kitchen but no final decision has yet been made over whether it will return in the future.
The couple have fronted their popular weekend cookery show together for ten seriesCredit: PAThe latest blow comes after Lisa revealed she had been diagnosed with breast cancerCredit: Instagram
“And John is very much a part of the ITV family through his role as a regular chef on This Morning.”
ITV confirmed that no final decisions have been made yet regarding the future of the show.
The news comes after John suffered a major career setback last year when he left MasterChef.
An inquiry, ordered by MasterChef’s production company, upheld a claim that the chef had used an “extremely offensive racist term”, which he said he had “no recollection of”, and he subsequently departed the show.
His wife Lisa announced her shock cancer diagnosis on Thursday, revealing that she had already undergone surgery and was awaiting a course of radiotherapy.
Lisa is best known for her acting roles in shows including Holby City and EastEnders, and in recent years has carved out a successful career as a TV chef.
She won Celebrity MasterChef in 2010 before going on to front John & Lisa’s Weekend Kitchen alongside her husband.
Currently there are only two more flights set to depart from Leeds Bradford for the city on the Turquoise Coast with the last being on June 7.
Flights between Manchester and Bodrum have also been axed – this has been done immediately as there are no tickets on sale or further routes planned on its website.
The Manchester to Bodrum route was only launched a month ago on May 4.
Routes from Glasgow to Dalaman and Antalya have also been axed.
The final flight from Glasgow to Dalaman will be on June 9.
There are no more flights between the Scottish airport and Antalya.
A spokesperson from SunExpress told Travel Gossip that the reasons for the routes being axed were “geopolitical developments” and a “highly volatile environment”.
Another was the increasing price of jet fuel and as a result of this it is also reducing the number of flights on other services.
They added: “We regret any inconvenience caused, and will continue to provide UK travellers with a wide range of flights and routes to Türkiye from airports across the UK.”
The route cancellations will affect Brits heading to destinations like AntalyaCredit: AlamyIt has cancelled one route to Bodrum just a month after it startedCredit: Alamy
“At this stage, we’re not in a position to confirm when the suspended services may be reinstated. We will provide further updates as soon as more information is available.”
SunExpress – a budget airline – will continue other routes to Antalya.
These go from Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Gatwick, Heathrow, Stansted, Luton, Manchester and Newcastle.
The airline will also continue to fly to Antalya from Birmingham, Edinburgh, Gatwick, Manchester, and Newcastle.