appeal

Trump plans to appeal order allowing all U.S. companies that paid illegal tariffs to seek refunds

American businesses big and small have started receiving tariff refunds after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that President Trump lacked the constitutional authority to impose higher import taxes on goods from nearly every other country.

The process could grind to a halt, however, after the Trump administration said Friday that it intended to appeal a federal judge’s order to allow all companies that paid the illegal import taxes to seek refunds, not just the ones that filed lawsuits.

Until the Department of Justice informed the judge of its planned appeal, the refund system overseen by U.S. Customs and Border Protection had been working fairly smoothly. Refunds reached the bank accounts of the first successful applicants on May 12, about three weeks after American importers and their customs brokers could start submitting claims through an online system, according to CBP.

Applications for refunds totaling $85 billion — more than half of the $166 billion the agency estimated the government owes to companies that paid the illegal tariffs on imported goods — were accepted for processing as of May 22, CBP reported in a legal filing earlier in the week. It said it had so far directed the Treasury Department to issue $20.6 billion in refunds.

The administration revealed its appeal preparations while objecting to a demand by Judge Richard K. Eaton for CBP Commissioner Rodney Scott to appear in the U.S. Court of International Trade to answer questions about how long it would take to repay all 330,000 importers that might be eligible for refunds. The judge has scheduled a June 9 hearing on why he shouldn’t require the government do whatever it takes to speed up the process.

Justice Department lawyers asked Eaton to allow one or two of Scott’s deputies to appear in his place, arguing that as a high-ranking presidential appointee, the CBP chief could not be compelled to testify in court. They also argued that Eaton exceeded his own authority when he determined in March that the Supreme Court’s ruling entitled “all importers of record’’ to refunds.

“For that reason, defendants intend to appeal the court’s universal injunction,” the lawyers wrote, adding that CBP would continue to move “as quickly as it can to process refunds in a phased approach” for businesses that filed some 485 pending trade court complaints to assert their rights to refunds.

In a terse reply Friday, Eaton said he needed to hear directly from Scott whether the government would return all of the money it collected between when Trump imposed what he called “reciprocal” tariffs on goods from most countries in April 2025 and when the Supreme Court struck them down in late February.

“This case involves $166 billion,” the judge wrote. “It is undisputed that the remedy for this unlawful collection is for the United States government to refund the unlawfully collected duties.”

Some national retail chains said they planned to use their tariff refunds to lower customer prices on some items. Walmart Chief Financial Officer John David Rainey told analysts last week that the company would implement price cuts even though the maximum refund it might be eligible for represented less than half of 1% of Walmart’s $483 billion in annual U.S. sales.

Some smaller companies told the Associated Press that the partial refunds they’ve received so far would go toward paying remaining or future tariffs, reducing debt or just keeping the lights on after more than a year of uncertainty and additional import costs.

Jay Foreman, chief executive of toy company Basic Fun, said he received about $450,000, or 7% of his total claim, over two consecutive days this month. He took the initial repayment as a positive sign but said that after having less than $10,000 refunded since then, the process seemed like a “total slow roll.”

“It’s time to release the funds back into the economy, especially given how much we and others need these funds to support our businesses and fund our operations,” Foreman said.

Anderson writes for the Associated Press.

Source link

Australian court sets August date for ‘mushroom murderer’ appeal hearing | Crime News

Erin Patterson was found guilty of killing three family members as she served them a lunch laced with poisonous fungi.

An Australian court has confirmed that an appeal hearing for Erin Patterson, commonly referred to as the “mushroom murderer,” will be held in August.

The Supreme Court of Victoria announced on Friday that the hearing will take place on August 19 and 20. Patterson’s lawyers formally applied to appeal her life sentence in November, arguing that there had been a “substantial miscarriage of justice” during her trial.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

Patterson was sentenced to life in prison in September after being found guilty of murdering three of her estranged husband’s relatives by serving them a lunch laced with poisonous fungi.

During the two-day hearing, the court will also consider an appeal from prosecutors, who argue that her sentence, which allows her to be considered for parole after 33 years, is “manifestly inadequate”.

Prosecutors unsuccessfully argued during the trial that her sentence should have been life imprisonment without parole.

Erin Patterson arrives at Supreme Court of Victoria in Melbourne, Australia
Convicted triple-murderer Erin Patterson was sentenced to life in prison in September (Getty)

In July, a jury found Patterson guilty of killing her estranged husband’s parents after serving them a lunch of beef Wellington laced with toxic mushrooms.

The case attracted worldwide attention, with more than 250 journalists registering for updates from the court, and the judge deciding to broadcast the sentencing live.

Both Gail Patterson and Donald Patterson died in August 2023. Patterson was also found guilty of murdering Gail’s sister, Heather Wilkinson, who died that same month, and of attempting to kill Wilkinson’s husband, Ian. He spent seven weeks in hospital following the poisoning and received a liver transplant.

Patterson is appealing her conviction on seven grounds, including what her lawyers described as a “fundamental irregularity” relating to the sequestration of the jury, who stayed in the same hotel as key figures in the case, including a police witness and two prosecutors.

Patterson’s lawyers also argue that several pieces of evidence presented during the trial were either irrelevant or unfairly prejudicial, and that the prosecution’s cross-examination of her was “unfair and oppressive”.

Patterson maintains her innocence, arguing that the poisoning was accidental.

Source link

Katie Price asked to front TV appeal to find missing husband as friends reveal reason why she’s afraid to go to Dubai

KATIE Price says police have asked her to launch a missing person’s TV appeal in Dubai as the search for her vanished husband Lee Andrews continues. 

The former glamour model, 48, claims cops told her they want her to front an international hunt for the conman. 

Katie Price says she has been asked to front an international TV appeal in Dubai as the search for missing husband Lee Andrew continues Credit: Getty
Lee has not been seen in public for 12 days Credit: mistraesthetics/Instagram

Lee, who has not been seen in public for 12 days, was spotted online on Instagram yesterday.  

His main phone has also been switched back on, with WhatsApps now being delivered. 

Lee’s dad Peter claimed over the weekend that his son had been arrested. But when The Sun contacted police in Dubai they refused to confirm that. 

A source said: “Katie has been in almost daily contacts with police, at least two different units. 

“On Friday she was asked if she would appear on television and officially appeal for information on her missing husband

“It all feels very surreal and like the thing you’d see on an ITV primetime drama. Of course, she doesn’t want to go on telly pleading for new intel if he really is on the run — and ghosting her.

“But she will do all she can to help, even if that means launching an international manhunt. 

“She wants him found safe and sound.” Katie is convinced that Lee is not in prison, and believes that someone may have kidnapped him after he claimed to be tied up in the back of a van. 

Pals say Katie has been in daily contact with cops in Dubai as he search for her husband deepens Credit: Katie Price – YouTube/Backgrid
Lee’s main phone has recently been switched on, with his WhatsApps now delivering messages Credit: Instagram/wesleeeandrews

A friend added: “Even for Kate, this has been the weirdest two weeks of her life. 

“She simply cannot get her head around what is going on.” 

While Katie wants to fly to Dubai as the hunt for the dodgy businessman continues, it is understood she fears being detained if she does so. 

Last week a Sun investigation exposed Lee’s fraudulent ways

Two of his ex-girlfriends have also gone on the record to say he is a conman who ripped them off.

His CV has been dismantled bit by bit, with photos of him with US reality star Kim Kardashian and Tesla billionaire Elon Musk proved to have been faked by AI. 

Kim’s US team even took the unprecedented step of formally denying the star had ever met Lee.  

He also has a travel ban following a stint in prison for fraud last October, meaning he cannot leave the United Arab Emirates.  

Katie and Lee met online, meeting and marrying within days at the start of this year Credit: Backgrid/Instagram
In an interview with The Sun, Katie denied he was a conman and said the artificial intelligence-loving businessman was the ‘love of her life’ Credit: wesleeeandrews/instagram

The negative publicity — something UAE officials do not take kindly to — means he will likely be “red-flagged” on their system.  

His wife, Katie, would also likely be regarded as a person of interest.  

A source added: “Katie is desperate to get back out to Dubai but with everything going on, it is just too much of a risk right now. 

“She also has work and family commitments back in the UK, and is trying to trust the police to get on with their job and locate her husband.” 

Mum-of-five Katie and Lee met online at the start of this year and married within days. 

In an interview with The Sun, Katie denied he was a conman, calling him the “love of her life”. 

Source link