Take That

I kept eating until no one recognised me & to kill the pop star, says Gary Barlow as he tells all on battle with fame

TWO years ago, Take That’s Howard Donald delivered 52 tapes to Netflix in an enormous Ikea bag.

He had spent the past 35 years quietly filming the band as they transformed from working-class lads into bona fide global stars.

In one emotionally-charged interview, Gary Barlow talks about his struggle with bulimia, which started following Take That’s split in 1996 and his rivalry with RobbieCredit: Netflix
Gary says he spent 13 months rarely leaving the house as he struggled with his mental health and weight gainCredit: Netflix
The band had transformed from working-class lads into bona fide global starsCredit: Netflix

“Are you sure it wasn’t a Prada bag?” Howard teases as I interview the group to celebrate the release of a three-part Netflix docuseries based on that footage.

Jokes aside, Howard, Gary Barlow, Jason Orange, Mark Owen and Robbie Williams handed full editorial control to director David Soutar to tell their story with zero interference.

It was a bold move given the much-publicised trials and tribulations of one of Britain’s biggest bands, who have landed 12 No1 singles in their 35-year career.

The series features candid new interviews with current members Gary, 55, Howard, 57, and Mark, 54, alongside never-before-seen footage and photographs.

GARY’S LOW

Gary Barlow shares never seen before pics from bulimia battle after hitting 17st


BACK IN TOWN

Gary Barlow reveals secrets behind Take That’s new tour & Robbie’s new record

Robbie, 51, and Jason, 55, allowed archive chats with them to be used to narrate their part in the story.

In one emotionally-charged interview, Gary talks about his struggle with bulimia, which started following Take That’s split in 1996 and his rivalry with Robbie.

Taunts from Robbie are replayed during the documentary, with footage showing him saying: “My problem always was with Gary, I wanted to crush him. “I wanted to crush the memory of the band and I didn’t let go. Even when he was down I didn’t let go.”

Speaking at the premiere of the documentary at Battersea Power Station in South London on Monday night, Gary admits it was tough to watch.

‘Butt of the joke’’

He said: “It’s a narrative that I haven’t thought about for years and years. When we had our reunion we spent a lot of time talking about it and I remember leaving on one particular day and we’d discussed everything. And I remember leaving and my shoulders were light.

“And I’d not thought about it since because I’d not needed to. And it brought it all back. Tricky times they were.”

In the documentary, Gary shares previously unseen photographs of him as he struggled to find his purpose and says: “You’re the butt of the joke. It was so excruciating you just want to crawl into a hole.

“There was a period of 13 months where I didn’t leave the house once. I’d also started to put weight on.

“The more weight I put on the less people would recognise me and I thought, ‘This is good. This is what I have been waiting for. This is a normal life’.

“So I went on this mission then, if the food passed me I would just eat it. And I’d killed the pop star.

“I would have these nights and I would eat and eat and eat but however I felt about myself, I felt ten times worse the day after.”

At his heaviest, Gary, who has three children with his wife Dawn, weighed just over 17 stone.

He explained: “One day I thought, I have been out, it’s 10 o’clock, I have eaten too much, I need to get rid of this food.





It only took a few years to get that low, but it took me years to get back to who I wanted to be. Ten years probably.


Gary Barlow

“You just go off to a dark corner of the house and you make yourself sick. You think it’s only once and all of a sudden you’re walking down that corridor again and again.

“Is this it? Is this what I am going to be doing forever?”

By 2003, Gary turned his life around, and he said: “I just went, ‘No, I’m not having this any more, I’m going to change. I want to change and I’m determined that this is not who I’ve become’.

“It only took a few years to get that low, but it took me years to get back to who I wanted to be. Ten years probably.”

Discussing his recovery with The Sun in 2021, he explained: “I’ve been very strong-minded about how I live and what I eat.

“In general, I work on a 90/10 — 90 per cent sensible-choice food and ten per cent fun choices.

“Buy a nice little writing book, one you’ll feel good about holding and keeping on you at all times. Do a food diary every day, and look down and you’ll see what you’re doing wrong.

“A food diary will also show you what you’re missing in your diet. If you want to get serious and go to a dietician or to a friend and seek help, you can show them the diary.”

Howard is also painfully honest about how hard life was following the end of Take That.

In the documentary, Howard recalls returning home and says: “I felt like I was the only one who didn’t grow up, even though I was the eldest.

“I was a nobody in school, I didn’t go to university, I didn’t think I’d do anything but I felt like a superhero up on that stage.

“It was going towards a depressive state. I decided to go to the Thames.

“I was seriously thinking I was going to kill myself but I was too much of a s**tbag to do it.”

Speaking backstage at the premiere, Howard explains that the band did not want to hide the painful parts of their journey.

He said: “I think it is such a true documentary. You can easily do a documentary and take out all the bits that you feel uncomfortable with — and there are quite a lot of uncomfortable bits in there.

“But it’s true of the last 35 years of Take That. There is a lot of footage people have never seen. It’s good for people to see.”

Gary admits weight gain made him less recognisable – and briefly feel like he had found a ‘normal life’Credit: Netflix
Netflix’s Take That is available to stream nowCredit: PA

Mark is also seen struggling to cope with life after the band, who landed their first Top Ten hit with a cover of Tavares’ It Only Takes A Minute in 1992.

He said backstage: “We were working hard, playing all these gigs and things got very hard — but then we got back together. Maybe miss out on the middle bit.”

‘I got a lot of stick’

Like Robbie and Gary, Mark attempted to launch a solo career, but was dropped by his label in 1997, a year after Take That split.

He added: “You start to feel very negative about yourself.”

Robbie and Jason’s clashes with the band’s former manager, Nigel Martin-Smith, are also discussed in the doc.

Robbie says: “Nigel as a manager, he never managed me, he managed Gary Barlow. I wanted him to love me but he never did.”

Jason adds: “When I was in Take That the first time around I was the dancer and I accepted that at the time.

“I don’t know if this is the time or place to say, I was told not to bother singing, ever.”

After the group came back as a four-piece without Robbie in 2005, they ceased working with Nigel and found new representation.

Of the change, Jason says: “Robbie and I got a lot of stick from Nigel. He made us all feel insecure.

“I could feel worthless in the band and I didn’t deserve to feel that. I didn’t want to feel that any more.

“We had chosen our own management, we had chosen our own people, we were in control.”

Director David admits there was some trepidation when it came to showing the three episodes for the first time.





In about 25 minutes we’d put things to bed that had haunted us for years.


Gary on Robbie feud

Speaking backstage alongside producer Gabe Turner, David said: “We talked long and hard about how to do it.

“There is some really hard stuff in there for them, it was a tricky thing for them to watch and it was nervy for us to watch it with them.

“They allowed us to push them to that place. We asked them to lay down their story and they allowed us to take them to that place.”

Gabe added: “Episode two is punchy. With a lot of documentaries you are building that relationship for the first time, you’re working on the fly, but these guys know us and know what we want to do.

“I felt really positive about how little they wanted to see it. They handed us the keys and said, ‘Do you thing’.”

As well as the tough times, Take That fans get a front seat to the inner workings of the group’s comeback with Robbie in 2011.

‘Haunted us for years’

Opening up about healing their old wounds, Robbie says: “I needed Gary to listen to my truth.”

Gary continues: “There were things around people not being supportive of his songwriting and his weight. I’d called him Blobby rather than Robbie one day, which I shouldn’t have done.

“Then I hit him with things he had done to me that I didn’t like

“In about 25 minutes we’d put things to bed that had haunted us for years.”

As well as hearing original demos on the series, fans also get treated to a new single, You’re A Superstar, at the end of the third episode.

The track, taken from their tenth album, is expected to be released later this year.





We’ve got the first steps, we’ve got the Netflix documentary, then we’ve got the Circus tour, then there will be new music.


Gary

Backstage at the screening in London, Howard said the trio have spent months working on the material, adding: “It’s going really well.

“We’ve all been writing separately, writing together and I think we’ve got a really good choice of really good songs.

“We are really proud of them and we just can’t wait for people to hear them.

“We’ve got the first steps, we’ve got the Netflix documentary, then we’ve got the Circus tour, then there will be new music.”

Mark continued: “The tenth album feels quite special. I am really excited about what I am hearing.

“It’s given us a boost, the songs that are coming through and the fact it’s our tenth record, it’s like ‘Go on guys!’.”

Ahead of their 17-date Circus Tour, which kicks off at St Mary’s Stadium in Southampton on May 29, fans will be wondering now if history will repeat itself — and Robbie will rejoin again.

And Gary for one is hopeful, saying yesterday: “At some point it’s going to happen.

“And that’s one of the wonderful things about our band — you never know what’s around the corner.”

  • Netflix’s Take That is available to stream now.
Gary shows off his buff physique while on holidayCredit: BackGrid
Gary and Take That in 1992Credit: Getty

BRAVE BOYS GO WARTS AND ALL

THESE days, most big stars who promise a warts-and-all documentary about their lives end up pulling a Kim Kardashian and overseeing every last scene.

But not Take That, who were brave enough to hand over hundreds of hours of footage to Netflix to tell their story. 

For the most part, the three-parter is the most mesmerising trip down memory lane – with Gary, Howard, Jason, Robbie and Mark starting their career in the band by performing in gay clubs and then school halls in a desperate bid to make it. 

But with all the hilariously fun Nineties fashion and moments of shared joy, there is a heavier undertone that echoes around episode one before loudly arriving in the second. 

The realities of being shoved into the emotional mincing machine, which was sadly part and parcel of being a pop star in the Nineties, are hard to watch. 

My heart hurt as Mark, who penned my favourite Take That song Shine, begged people to ask about his solo music when the band split in 1996 – and when Jason admitted he was told that he was only good enough to dance and “shouldn’t bother singing”. 

And I was close to tears as Howard recounted reaching such a desperate point after they split that he considered taking his own life. 

I’m lucky enough to work with big musicians regularly and, each time, I am reminded that no matter how famous they are, they are all human. 

I’ve watched artists break down backstage under the strain of big tours and have been privy to quiet moments of anxiety and fear over their chart performances. 

For Take That to pull back the showbiz curtain to allow the public and fans to see the realities of the highs and lows of fame was a brave move – but, boy, it paid off. 

For me, it’s a must-watch. 

Source link

‘Emotional’ Take That pose in ‘fan’s bedroom from 1990s’ at premiere of warts-and-all Netflix series

TAKE That get taken back to some of their best days at the premiere of a three-part series on them, starting on Netflix today.

Gary Barlow, 55, Mark Owen, 53, and Howard Donald, 57, admitted some of the footage was “moving” at ­Battersea Power Station cinema in London last night.

Take That at the premiere of a three-part series on themCredit: Getty
The series tells of their rise, split and comeback, pictured members Gary Barlow, Howard Donald and Mark OwenCredit: Getty

It tells of their rise, split and comeback. Gary said: “It’s very emotional.”

The trio also performed Back For Good and Shine.

It comes after Gary Barlow welcomes the Brit Awards moving to Manchester claiming the music industry is ‘not just about London’.

The annual British music awards ceremony will be hosted in the North West for the first time after being held in the capital for its near 50-year history.

BACK IN TOWN

Gary Barlow reveals secrets behind Take That’s new tour & Robbie’s new record


WE’LL TAKE THAT

Gary Barlow on new Take That album and reason Vegas residency didn’t happen

Barlow said: “Manchester’s now such a place for media, we’ve got Media City there.

“People who were trained in like camera work were never trained in areas like that. So it’s such a massive thing for the country.

“It doesn’t surprise me at all the Brits are there, in fact it should have been there five years ago just because it’s not just about London, the music industry.

“In fact, London’s probably down the list you know, it’s so much regional talent.

“Look back in history and see where bands and artists have come from all over the country, not just in London.

On how to further spotlight regional talent, Barlow added: “I think we are.

“I think that’s one of the benefits of having an internet-based industry now, is that you can be anywhere. Doesn’t matter where you are.

“Even as artists working we can be anywhere. We can be songwriters and live anywhere now because the world’s a smaller place.”

Formed in 1989 in Manchester, Take That were originally made up of Barlow, Howard Donald, Mark Owen, Jason Orange and Robbie Williams.

The band broke up in 1996 after Williams’ departure with the four remaining band members reuniting in 2005 until Orange left in 2014.

Take That were originally made up of Barlow, Howard Donald, Mark Owen, Jason Orange and Robbie Williams, pictured in 1992Credit: Getty

Source link

Take That surprise fans with new love song which can only be heard on Netflix

Take That reveal a new song hidden in their Netflix documentary which is launched on the streaming site today

Take That have shocked fans by unveiling a secret new song hidden in their Netflix documentary. The song called ‘You’re A Superstar’ appears in the closing credits of the third and final episode and sources close to the band confirmed it is the first track from a new Take That album coming out later in the year.

The source said: “The band thought it would be a great surprise and a treat for fans at the end of the Netflix series. It’s a great way to tease their new material and the full single will be coming soon.”

The band were originally made up of Gary Barlow, Howard Donald and Mark Owen, Jason Orange and Robbie Williams, but these days are a trio with Jason and Robbie not in the band. In May last year, songwriter and band member Gary, 55, had revealed that a tenth Take That album was on the cards. At the time he said: “We all came off tour at the end of [2024] and said, ‘Right, let’s get to work’. It’s been slated for next year. We just don’t want to stop, really.”

The new track an upbeat pop track and appears to be about being in love. It contains the lyrics: ‘My heart comes alive, all the stars turn bright, a million times in your arms, tonight. And I want to let you know, you’re a superstar, and I’m yours.” Whilst the end song is very upbeat, the Netflix documentary charts the highs of the band but also lots of lows, with each member of the band enjoying some surprising struggles which in some cases have not been fully expressed before.

The three part series features 35 years of rare archive material, never-before-seen footage, and personal material. There are also new interviews with Gary, Howard and Mark and archive interviews with Jason and Robbie to tell the story.

Gary admitted: “Some of it was hard to watch – especially that middle hour, which covers the period after the band broke up. It was just a hard, hard time. I am quite good at leaving things in the past. I’m not a regretful person, and I was happy to leave it behind. So, seeing those memories brought to life on screen again was strange.”

Take That have enjoyed staggering success since forming in 1990 with 12 Number 1 singles and nine Number 1 albums so far in the UK alone. They will begin The Circus tour in May based on their previous hit tour from 2009, but the trio of Gary, Mark and Howard have to look after their bodies these days.

In an interview at the weekend, Howard said: “We have to look after our bodies. We watch what food we eat, do Pilates, which I need for my core, so my back doesn’t go. I’ve got sorer knees than in the Nineties, but we try to do as much dancing on stage as possible. It’s the satisfaction of sweating your ass off. If we’re all sat on stools, it wouldn’t be Take That.”

Of the TT fans that keep coming back, Gary said: “These days, that gorgeous audience, I want to go around and kiss one by one, because they’ve loved us and they’ve made us part of their lives for years and years, and they still keep coming.”

* Three part series Take That is out now on Netflix. The Circus tour begins in Southampton on May 29 then touring until July 4. Tickets can be purchased from takethat.com

Like this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs on TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Threads.



Source link