showing

Longevity guru Peter Attia keeps CBS News role despite showing up in Epstein files

CBS News has no plans to drop health guru Peter Attia from his contributor role after his emails to convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein surfaced last week.

Attia was among the 19 contributors named by CBS News Editor-in-chief Bari Weiss when she addressed staff about her future plans for the network on Jan. 28.

Two days later, Attia showed up in the latest batch of files on Epstein. A Stanford-trained physician who has gained prominence for his expertise in longevity medicine, Attia had a number of email exchanges with Epstein, including a crude discussion about female genitalia.

Another message showed Attia expressing dismay that he could not discuss Epstein’s activities. “You [know] the biggest problem with becoming friends with you? The life you lead is so outrageous, and yet I can’t tell a soul …” Attia wrote.

In 2008, Epstein pleaded guilty to state charges of soliciting prostitution, including from a minor. He was and found dead in his jail cell in 2019, about a month after being arrested on federal sex-trafficking charges

Conduct such as Attia’s association with Epstein would typically be grounds for a network news organization to cut ties with an individual, especially one who is not a full-time employee. Contributors are usually paid by the appearance.

But Weiss is said to be opposed to cutting Attia, according to two people familiar with her thinking. As founder of the digital news site The Free Press and as an opinion writer, Weiss spoke out against so called cancel culture and does not want to be seen as reacting to the Epstein frenzy.

Weiss joined CBS News in October after parent company Paramount acquired The Free Press, which gained a rabid following due to its willingness to criticize the political left. She has been a polarizing figure since taking editorial control of CBS News, making moves that some insiders believe are aimed at pleasing President Trump, such as delaying a “60 Minutes” story on the treatment of undocumented migrants being held in El Salvador.

CBS News has not publicly commented on Attia’s status.

Two companies have dropped Attia since the Epstein files surfaced. AGI, a company that makes powdered supplements, has dropped him as a scientific adviser. He has also stepped away from his role as chief science officer for David, a protein bar maker.

CBS News is pulling a “60 Minutes” profile of Attia that first aired in October. The segment was scheduled to re-air Sunday on a “60 Minutes” episode made up of repeats, which the program typically runs when the Super Bowl telecast is on a rival network.

Insiders say even if CBS News’ ties to Attia are not publicly severed, it’s unlikely he will ever be seen on the air. Health-related segments on TV news typically come with sponsors attached. It’s hard to imagine any advertiser will want their commercials running adjacent to a former Epstein pal.

In a Monday post on X, Attia apologized for his interactions with Epstein. He said he had not been involved in any criminal activity and had never visited Epstein’s island.

“I apologize and regret putting myself in a position where emails, some of them embarrassing, tasteless, and indefensible, are now public, and that is on me,” Attia wrote. “I accept that reality and the humiliation that comes with it.”

Attia wrote the best-selling book “Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity” and hosts a popular podcast. His company, Early Medical, offers a program that teaches people to live healthier as they age.

Source link

Travel AI warning as tourists keep showing up to imaginary attraction

Travellers are being warned to double check information generated by AI after tourists showed up to an attraction that didn’t exist after reading about it on a travel company’s website

Tourists who travelled to a remote Tasmanian town were left disappointed when they found out the attraction they were visiting didn’t exist and had been invented by AI.

In a blog post published in July 2025, which has since been deleted, travel company Tasmania Tours posted a list of the ‘7 Best Hot Springs Tasmania Experiences for 2026’. Among the list was Weldborough Hot Springs, and the post promised an off-the-beaten-path experience, saying: “Its reputation as a tranquil haven has made it a favourite among local hiking groups, wellness retreat organisers, and anyone wanting to experience one of the more untouched hot springs Tasmania has to offer.”

READ MORE: Budget traveller’s £44 day trip to Spain – carrying just Lidl sausage rolls and waterREAD MORE: Who can get a free UK passport and who needs to pay £222

The article was even accompanied by an AI-generated image of a man backpacking along a bright blue river, with steam rising from the surface.

While it looked and sounded enticing, there was a big drawback: Weldborough Hot Springs does not exist. While Weldborough is without a doubt a beautiful part of Tasmania that offers hiking trails through lush green forests, those hoping for a healing dip may be disappointed when they enter the rather chilly waters of the River Weld.

Much to the amusement of locals in the small town, tourists soon started arriving, hoping to find these mythical hot springs. Speaking to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), local pub owner Kristy Probert says she gets daily phone calls and visits from people trying to find out more about the springs.

She revealed that people have been travelling far and wide to find the springs. “I actually had a group of 24 drivers turn up there two days ago that were on a trip from the mainland, and they’d actually taken a detour to come to the hot springs. I said, ‘If you find the hot springs, come back and let me know and I’ll shout you beers all night’ — they didn’t come back,” she joked.

ABC spoke to Scott Hennessey, owner of Australian Tours and Cruises, which operates Tasmania Tours who admitted: “Our AI has messed up completely.” before explaining that marketing materials were created by a third party.

Scott said that posts, which he would usually review, were accidentally made public when he was out of the country. He told ABC: “We don’t have enough horsepower to write enough content on our own, and that’s why we outsource part of this function.”

He added: “We’re trying to compete with the big boys. Part of that is you’ve got to keep your content refreshed and new all of the time. We’re not a scam. We’re a married couple trying to do the right thing by people … We are legit, we are real people, we employ sales staff.”

It’s not the first time tourists have been fooled by AI. In late 2025, images began circulating on Instagram of an elaborate Christmas market at Buckingham Palace, showing the historic building decked in Christmas lights and stalls set up inside its iconic gates.

However, it was soon revealed to be an AI image, and the Royal Collection Trust had to put out a statement confirming that no such event was planned on the palace grounds.

And it’s not just fake images that holidaymakers need to be aware of. A video circulated on social media in Malaysia showing an amazing new attraction called the Kuak Skyride, a cable car offering spectacular views across the mountains. A couple reportedly travelled across the country to the town of Pengkalan Hulu only to find out no such attraction exists.

READ MORE: Stag dos ditch Amsterdam for cheaper city with £14.99 Ryanair flightsREAD MORE: UK airports that have scrapped 100ml liquid rule ahead of half-term

ABC also spoke to Professor Anne Hardy, who works for Destination Southern Tasmania and is a tourism expert. She claimed that AI ‘hallucinations’ will make this kind of situation much more common in the future.

“What we know is that now about 90 per cent of itineraries that are generated by ChatGPT actually have at least one error in them, and we also know that 37 per cent of people rely on AI to generate their itineraries,” she said.

Australian Tours and Cruises has been contacted for comment.

Have a story you want to share? Email us at webtravel@reachplc.com

Source link

Villainous Dodgers showing MLB owners how you should treat fans

An anonymous pitcher whose entire life changed with four innings is standing in a crowded Dodger Stadium bullpen in the middle of winter when he hears a voice from the stands.

“Will, thank you so much!” shouts a fan, and underneath his thick beard, the pitcher blushes.

“This is something I’ve never had before,” said Will Klein.

And this is ruining baseball?

On a crowded concourse in the middle of a Saturday morning two months before the start of the season, fans are chugging beers, scarfing Dodger dogs, and even doing a line dance.

The queue at the elevator is endless. The screams from the crowd are constant. Blake Snell is walking along one of the barriers giving every nearby fan — every one — a fist bump.

And this is ruining baseball?

The Dodgers officially opened their doors for the 2026 season Saturday, holding an annual Dodgerfest that has sent a clear message to a landscape of whiners.

This is what winning looks like.

This is why winning is worth it.

The baseball owners will likely lock out the players after this season in hopes of installing a salary cap that will curb the sort of spending that has fueled the Dodgers’ consecutive championships.

They don’t get it. In hoarding their revenue-sharing money, the owners don’t realize the benefits of reinvesting that money in the players and, by extension, the fans.

The Dodgers do that more often, and more effectively, than anyone.

The result Saturday was a mid-winter party that felt different than any of their previous bashes. Some years they spent this day apologizing for their playoff collapses. Last year they spent the afternoon tentatively talking about going back-to-back.

Fans pack into Dodger Stadium for Dodgerfest on Saturday.

Fans pack into Dodger Stadium for Dodgerfest on Saturday.

(Ronaldo Bolanos/Los Angeles Times)

This year the constraints were off, the party was on, and they all spoke freely of becoming the first time in National League history to win three consecutive World Series titles.

”I don’t mind the ‘three in the air’ as a carrot,” said manager Dave Roberts, adding, “There’s a challenge we’re not going to run from.”

And so the players showed up brandishing hope for this summer while sweetly admitting the emotion that still lingers from last fall.

Klein, who came out of nowhere to rescue the Dodgers with four scoreless innings in the marathon Game 3 of the World Series, was still pinching himself about being recognized in public.

“A guy told me I looked like me,” he said. “I said, ‘Thank you.’”

Then there was Miguel Rojas, finding deeper meaning in his ninth-inning homer that tied the World Series Game 7.

”The most important part is that everybody continues to say that is the best moment that they have in their life, the best moment of sports they watched,” said Rojas. “That makes me feel really good, because we were part of something bigger than just a home run.”

And Rojas said he hears that a lot.

“I waited 20 years in professional baseball to have that moment … something different happened to my life,” he said. “I’m walking around Rome, I’m seeing Dodger fans saying thank you for that home run. It’s crazy, it’s overwhelming.”

Equally overwhelmed was Freddie Freeman, who grew tearful on the stage when talking about hitting the winning homer in the 18th inning of the World Series Game 3 and the impact of winning two titles in his four years here.

“I’m home playing baseball in front of the best fans day in and day out,” he said. “I couldn’t even wrap my mind around coming back and signing here and being part of this. This has blown me away.”

Even the struggling players seemed thrilled to be here, Tanner Scott acting amazingly relaxed when asked for his 2026 goals.

“Not being as bad as last year,” he said. “I was terrible.”

OK, then.

Bottom line, on a midwinter day when most of this country’s major-league baseball stadiums were empty, Chavez Ravine was full of life and wonder and winning.

“Today we see a lot of fans and that really gets me going,” said Shohei Ohtani.

And this is ruining baseball?

“This organization is never ready to be done … they continue to add players, they continue to add talent, that is a good thing,” said Rojas. “We push ourselves … we believe we can always get better.”

Like he said, a good thing.

“I like winning,” said Klein. “People are always going to be jealous of teams that try to win when they feel like others aren’t. Everybody can go out and do the same thing.”

Spring is here, the haters are out, and the Dodgers are ready.

Seeing players here, seeing their energy, obviously seeing the energy of the fans, its certainly time,” said Roberts.

Three-peat, you’re up.

Source link

Moorpark boys’ soccer team is showing defensive superiority

If defense wins championships, the Moorpark High boys’ soccer team is looking good for the playoffs. The Musketeers are 11-3-2 overall and 6-1 in the Coastal Canyon League. They’ve given up four goals in seven league games.

Coach Manny Galvez relies on junior Austin Nickels and sophomore Isaac Zapata to provide the offense, with Nickels having 11 goals and Zapata 10.

Moorpark hosts Oak Park on Friday to decide the league title in one of the top soccer games of the weekend.

“They’re just young, hard-working guys,” Galvez said.

Moorpark suffered a 1-0 loss to Camarillo on Tuesday.

This is a daily look at the positive happenings in high school sports. To submit any news, please email eric.sondheimer@latimes.com.

Source link