shed

‘Years in the making’ – are Arsenal ready to shed ‘nearly men’ tag after beating Chelsea in EFL Cup semi-final

The wait is over.

After nearly six years and four failed semi-finals, Arsenal‘s 4-2 aggregate victory over Chelsea in the Carabao Cup semi-final has put them back into a major final.

It will be their first under Mikel Arteta since he guided them to FA Cup victory in 2020 – and just their second in his time at the club.

It was tight, it was tense and it was pretty dull at times but, as Kai Havertz rolled in an injury-time goal to confirm their place at Wembley, the euphoria from fans and players alike at Emirates left you in no doubt about the significance.

In a match that saw both sides only manage two shots on target each, the Gunners rarely looked troubled as they showed all the qualities that have made them so hard to beat.

The result means Arsenal will compete in a ninth EFL Cup final when they take on either Manchester City or Newcastle on Sunday, 22 March in the tournament’s showpiece match.

Should they face City, it will be a repeat of the 2018 final, won by the Manchester club, when Arteta was part of Pep Guardiola’s coaching staff.

However, aside from it being an opportunity for Arsenal to gain a measure of revenge for that loss and winning their first League Cup for 33 years, it would also be a step towards changing a few perceptions.

Arsenal manager Arteta said: “There was a special atmosphere inside our stadium. It makes such a difference. We’ve been waiting a few years to get into this position and we’re certainly going to enjoy it [the final].

“It’s the best vitamins that we can put in our bodies because we’re playing every three days. But the fact that you worked so hard to achieve those moments and to have these moments together is just magical.

“You can see the joy, the smile, the energy and everything that works at the club.”

Midfielder Declan Rice, added: “We deserve it. The last three or four years we’ve been at the top of the Premier League, competing and got really close but haven’t been good enough.

“That’s why this season we have that extra desire and fire in our bellies to go one step further in every competition. There’s a long way to go but to be in a cup final with this club is amazing.”

For the last few years, Arteta’s Arsenal reign has been a story of near-misses, both in cup competitions and in the Premier League.

Now, just one game away from ending their trophy drought, are the Premier League leaders about to silence accusations of being the ‘nearly men’ for good?

Ex-Arsenal defender Matt Upson told BBC Radio 5 Live: “It has been a few years in the making and there has been a steady build-up to this point for Arsenal. Mikel Arteta has been laying the foundations, building the ethos, and togetherness of the team.”

Source link

Olivia Attwood reveals surprising Love Islander she’d date after splitting from husband Bradley Dack

TV star Olivia Attwood has opened up on the surprising Love Islander she’d date after removing her wedding ring and telling pals she’s going to divorce Bradley Dack.

The 34-year-old recently revealed who she would pursue if she was on this season of Love Island All Stars.

Olivia and Pete discussed who they would pursue on Love Island All StarsCredit: YOUTUBE
Bradley Dack and Olivia Attwood, 34, recently split after what was called a ‘breach of trust’ on his partCredit: Shutterstock
The TV presenter surprisingly said she would choose to couple up with Curtis PritchardCredit: ITV

Just last week, the presenter addressed her marriage breakdown saying she cries herself to sleep and wants both her and footballer Brad to be happy.

But now putting on a brave face Olivia sat down to chat with her pal Pete Wicks, 37, on their Sunday Roast podcast.

The duo then asked each other which islander they would pick out of the line up.

ITV‘s Olivia gobsmacked fans by opting for Curtis Pritchard.

Read more on Olivia Attwood

NO GOING DACK

Olivia Attwood ‘to divorce’ Bradley Dack and removes wedding ring


dog house

Olivia Attwood and ex Bradley Dack locked in battle over their dogs after split

She said: “I don’t know any of the boys names.”

And Pete replied: “Well you know one. Curtis. He’s a big lad, tall. I think you’d be a real power couple.”

Olivia surprisingly agreed, she said: “I would probably go for Curtis.”

Curtis found himself in the limelight after appearing on Love Island series five, but he didn’t stop there returning for Love Island games in 2023 and now this season of All Stars.

While Olivia picked the dancer, Pete was certain he would couple up with Belle Hassan.

Loose Women panellist Olivia also appeared on Love Island back in 2017 on series 3.

Olivia made her mark as she appeared on season 3 of Love IslandCredit: Rex Features

She finished in third place alongside Chris Hughes but they later split as she got back together with her long-time love Bradley Dack, 32.

The Sun previously revealed the split was down to what was called a “breach of trust” on his part.

A source close to the star told us: “Olivia is already talking about divorce because it is feeling very final and over for her.

“She’s worked too hard on her career to let it fall apart because of her relationship going south.”

Olivia was spotted last Friday on Loose Women without her £200,000 engagement ring meanwhile Bradley was snapped leaving football training still wearing his wedding band.

The couple are already locked in a tug of love over their dogs.

Carpathian/German shepherd mix Lola and rottweiler Stitch, both rescue dogs, are staying with Olivia in South London as they sort out their care.

Olivia was coupled up with Chris Hughes on the show and the pair came third but later split as she got back together with Bradley DackCredit: Rex Features

Source link

UPS says it will shed 30,000 jobs in major cost-cutting drive | Business and Economy

Package-delivery giant targets savings of $3bn in 2026 amid push to slash deliveries for Amazon.

United Parcel Service, one of the world’s largest package-delivery companies, has announced plans to slash up to 30,000 jobs amid a push to cut costs and boost profits.

UPS, based in the US state of Georgia, will make the cuts as part of efforts to achieve savings of $3bn in 2026, UPS chief financial officer Brian ⁠Dykes said on an earnings call on Tuesday.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

Dykes said the job cuts, part of plans to reduce UPS’s reliance on deliveries for its largest customer, Amazon, would be achieved through attrition and voluntary buyouts.

“We expect to offer a second voluntary separation programme for full-time drivers,” Dykes said.

UPS will also shut 24 buildings in the first half of the year and evaluate other buildings for closure in the second half, Dykes said.

He said the savings would be on top of $3.5bn in savings achieved in 2025 through cost-cutting measures, including the elimination of 26.9 million labour hours and the closure of 93 buildings.

Sean O’Brien, president of the Teamsters union, slammed the job cuts in a statement posted on social media.

“Corporate vultures giggled about giving their disrespectful driver buyout program another shot,” O’Brien said.

“Reminder: Teamsters overwhelmingly rejected UPS’s insulting payoff last year. We still know our worth. Drivers still endure violent winters and brutal heat to make UPS its billions. UPS must honor our contract and reward our members.”

UPS announced last year that it would reduce shipments for Amazon by half as part of plans to focus on a smaller volume of more lucrative deliveries.

The firm’s reported revenues of $24.5bn for the final three months of 2025, taking earnings for the year to $88.7bn, and projected revenues in 2026 are expected to hit $89.7bn.

UPS shares were largely unmoved on Tuesday, closing 0.22 percent higher.

Source link