probing

L.A. County prosecutors probing whether Edison should be criminally prosecuted for Eaton fire

The Los Angeles County District Attorney is investigating whether Southern California Edison should be criminally prosecuted for its actions in last year’s devastating Eaton wildfire, which killed 19 people and left thousands of families homeless, the company said Wednesday.

Pedro Pizarro, chief executive of Edison International, told Wall Street analysts during an afternoon conference call that the company was cooperating with the District Attorney’s office. He said he didn’t know the magnitude of the investigation.

The company said in its annual 10-K report, which was released Wednesday, that it “could be subject to material fines, penalties, or restitution” if the investigation “determined that it failed to comply with applicable laws and regulations.”

“SCE is not aware of any basis for felony liability with regards to the Eaton Fire,” the report said. “Any fines and penalties incurred in connection with the Eaton Fire will not be recoverable from insurance, from the Wildfire Fund, or through electric rates.”

The District Attorney’s office declined to comment.

The investigation into the fire, which destroyed a wide swath of Altadena, has not yet been released. Pizarro has said that a leading theory of the fire’s cause is that a century-old transmission line in Eaton Canyon, which had not carried power for 50 years, somehow re-energized and sparked the fire.

Edison executives have said they didn’t remove the line because they believed it would be used in the future.

Company executives knew idle transmission lines could spark wildfires. In 2019, investigators traced the Kincade fire in Sonoma County, which destroyed 374 homes and other structures, to a transmission line owned by Pacific Gas & Electric that was no longer in service.

The Times reported in December how Edison fell behind in maintenance of its transmission system before the fire.

Despite the dangerous Santa Ana wind conditions on Jan. 7, 2025, Edison decided not to shut down the transmission lines running through Eaton Canyon. Pizarro has said the winds that night didn’t meet the company’s threshold at the time for turning off the lines.

Pizarro told investors on the call Wednesday that he continued to believe that the company had acted as a “reasonable utility operator” before the deadly fire.

Under state law, if a utility is determined to have acted reasonably it can be reimbursed for all or most of the damages of the fire by a state wildfire fund.

Source link

Netherlands watchdog probing Roblox over risks to children | News

Regulator launches investigation into US gaming platform over potential risks to underage users in the EU.

The Dutch consumer watchdog has launched an investigation into Roblox to see if the popular online gaming system is doing enough to protect children from exposure to violent and sexual imagery.

The Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets (ACM) said on Friday its probe would examine “potential risks to underage users in the EU” and would likely last about one year.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

“The platform regularly makes the news, for example, due to concerns about violent or sexually explicit games that minors are exposed to,” the ACM said in a statement.

Other concerns include reports of “ill-intentioned” adults targeting children on the platform and the use of misleading techniques to encourage purchases.

The ACM said that, having received reports of such allegations, it “considers this sufficient reason to launch a formal investigation into possible violations of the rules by Roblox”.

New measures

Under the European Union’s Digital Services Act (DSA), platforms must take “appropriate and proportionate measures” to ensure a high level of safety and privacy for minors.

The ACM said it could impose a “binding instruction, fine, or penalty” on Roblox if it concludes the rules have been broken.

In 2024, the ACM slapped a 1.1-million-euro ($1.2m) fine on Fortnite maker Epic Games, judging that vulnerable children were exploited and pressured into making purchases in the game’s Item Shop.

A Roblox spokesperson said the company is “strongly committed to complying with the EU Digital Services Act” and referred to the gaming platform’s announcement last November that it would require age verification via facial recognition to limit communication between children and adults.

“We look forward to providing the ACM with further clarity on the many policies and safeguards we have in place to protect minors,” the spokesperson said.

Source link