Prize

Traitors winner reveals £48K prize money is going on ‘full survival’ after he quit job

Stephen Libby – who won The Traitors alongside Rachel Duffy – has confessed he has gone “full survival” with his winnings after quitting his job

Just last month Stephen Libby, was crowned the winner of The Traitors in a dramatic and nail-biting final watched by a staggering 9.6million viewers. Despite the hit BBC series, being filmed last year, the Scotsman, has only just received his £47,875 prize money.

The share of the total £95,750 was spilt between Stephen, 32, and his fellow co-Traitor Rachel Duffy, 42, who also made the final.

“I have the money, but I’ve not spent it,” says the former cyber security consultant. “I’ve left my job, so right now it’s going on full survival. It’s going to my London rent and things like that, so I’ve not made any plans for it just yet.”

The London-based star – who is originally from the Isle of Lewis in Scotland – confesses he is not tempted to jump onto the property ladder with his winnings.

“I don’t know what properties could be bought in London with the money that I just received. Maybe 40 years ago I might have been able to, but not anymore,” he tells The Mirror at the C abaret press night in the Kit Kat Club.

Ensure our latest headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as your Preferred Source in your Google search settings.

Stephen and Rachel may have been Traitors on the gripping gameshow fronted by Claudia Winkleman, but they remained loyal to each other until the very end.

Tragically, Rachel’s mother, Anne – who suffered from Parkinson’s disease and dementia, passed away just days after the final, meaning she couldn’t create new memories with her mum, like she had planned to with the winnings.

“I speak with Rachel all the time. We are on the phone every day almost. We are really close, and I love her family,” he shares. “She’s had nothing but all the support of myself and all the cast as well.

“I’ve met her children and husband, Sean – they’re lovely. I went over to [her home city] Newry in Northern Ireland last year, and she took me for a lovely meal to Friar Tucks,” he adds.

Earlier this month, Stephen, made his This Morning debut, where he presented the fashion segment of the programme, alongside his style icon, Anneka Rice.

“It was so much fun. I was very nervous because it’s very different doing interviews and being asked questions, to then having to present something and leading it. That happened so quickly after being on The Traitors that I just didn’t know if I was ready for it, but I had so much fun,” he says.

Incredibly, TV star, Anneka, 67, is rumoured to take part in the celebrity version of The Traitors later this year, alongside actors, Danny Dyer and Richard E. Grant.

Luckily, Stephen has no regrets about his spell on the show, and is already settling into his new showbiz life.

“I’ve been to a couple of awards ceremonies, and I guess it’s just been so nice to see that everyone watches The Traitors,” he admits, “Everyone who I bump into says, ‘I loved you on the show,’ so it’s lovely. I feel very overwhelmed.”

Stephen spoke to the Mirror at the Cabaret press night in the Kit Kat Club.

Source link

Iranian Nobel Peace Prize winner Narges Mohammadi given second prison sentence

1 of 2 | Ali Rahmani, Kiana Rahmani and Nobel Committee chairwoman Berit Reiss-Andersen attend The Nobel Peace Prize ceremony for Iranian activist Narges Mohammadi at the Nobel Institute in Oslo, Norway in December 2023. File Photo by Paul Treadway/ UPI | License Photo

Feb. 9 (UPI) — Iranian Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Narges Mohammadi has been sentenced to a second prison sentence by the Iranian courts while still serving her first sentence.

Mohammadi, who accepted the Nobel Peace Prize in 2023 while in prison, was sentenced to more than seven years in prison for “gathering and collusion,” and “propaganda activities” against the Islamic Republic Regime, her attorney announced Sunday.

Mohammadi was detained on Dec. 12 for making “provocative remarks.” Her family said that during her arrest, she was beaten by Iranian authorities and had to be hospitalized.

Nili said in a statement that Mohammadi was sentenced at Branch 1 of the Mashhad Revolutionary Court. It was the first time she had spoken to her attorney since Dec. 14.

Mohammadi, 53, was on the sixth day of a hunger strike but ended it on Sunday.

“Given Narges Mohammadi’s critical history, including heart attacks, chest pain, high blood pressure, as well as spinal disc issues and other illnesses, her continued detention is life threatening and a violation of human rights laws,” a statement from the Narges Mohammadi Foundation said.

Nili added that Mohammadi was hospitalized last week due to her “poor physical condition.”

Mohammadi faces more than 17 years in prison. In total, she has been sentenced to 44 years in prison. She has also been banned from leaving Iran for two years and is ordered to live in “internal exile” for two years.

The Human Rights Activists News Agency reported last month that more than 5,000 people have been executed by Iranian authorities amid widespread protests.

Source link